/spg/ - Smartphone General

Galaxy Note 9 edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual phone size comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: evleaks-note-9-image.jpg (970x1078, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9-s-pen-features-samsung-galaxy-tab-s4-firmware/
ebay.com/itm/202267006091?var=502229758762
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8161#show
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/development
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/samsung-galaxy-s8--s8-cross-device-development
youtube.com/watch?v=I36qvNvWBRY
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9_costs_379_build-news-30147.php
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8161&idPhone2=8319&idPhone3=8893
youtu.be/hMf-qjmALAM
youtu.be/fb4FXzkpSrI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Samsung Galaxy Note 9 S Pen features confirmed via Galaxy Tab S4 firmware

>Control music with the S Pen. This will probably allow you to control music like you can with earbuds by pressing the play/pause button. The S Pen button will probably let you play and pause music while also allowing you to skip music tracks.
>Use the S Pen as a remote camera shutter. This could be useful in situations where you want to take a picture of yourself and prop up your phone.
>You will be able to remotely unlock your phone if the S Pen was removed from the phone and then the phone locks.
>You will be able to press the S Pen button to do more in a range of apps. We don’t know about what other integrations with apps the S Pen will have, though, as the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 hasn’t launched.
>Press and hold the Pen button to open any app or S Pen feature.
>Set up single and double press Pen actions.

xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9-s-pen-features-samsung-galaxy-tab-s4-firmware/

Which is your preferred website when it comes to buying used phones?

where in Australia can I buy cheap phones, just Kogan?

Any opinions on the upcoming Nokia 6.1 plus?
>inb4 it's shit

woolies or coles mate

From last thread

Looking to get a new phone, currently have samsung avant but need one that supports more bands since i can have 4g yet sometimes be unable to make/receive calls. Also would like it to be very durable/not break on a construction site. Only really need it for calls/text and maybe youtube. On tmobile and budget is not an issue if they offer it in store/online otherwise

Just wondering, has anyone here ever bought from TORSupermarket?

mi 8 SE or galaxy S8? Both are the same price.

Attached: file.png (327x224, 45K)

Looking to get a new phone because my Moto G2 sucks. 8 GB internal storage is not a lot and Motorola's own apps add to the bloat that's already on there. I had an S3 before and I loved the shit out of it but it died on me because it just wouldn't charge anymore, regardless of the battery. Should I get another S3 or something else? I'm looking for the following:
>100-300 € used/refurbished
>More than 8 GB internal storage, SD slot
>Camera not a priority
>Good battery life
>Preferably compatible with EU and US frequencies (never really looked into that, so sorry if that's a retarded question)
Also looking to put LineageOS on it so I can finally get rid of Google completely. Not sure if that's a thing worth considering.

Attached: nM7kqct1.jpg (1439x1374, 204K)

Is it possible to install Magisk on my Xperia Z2? I tried all guides I could find but after flashing TWRP, Magisk just refuses to be flashed in. I tried doing it with bootbridge but I got a loopboot.

Is this even a question?

hey, guys, I am looking for a phone here is what I would want:
>up to 450$
>durable
>headphone jack
>Looks cool

Things I don't care about:
>Camera
>SD Slot
>I don't need a dual sim.

Also, it can be a chinkphone. I don't mind

On that price range you can get a non-chink decent phone

When will people learn not to buy chinkphones when you're in US before checking the fucking bands first

Maybe a Nokia 7 plus, it's durable, has a headphone jack but I don't know about the looks it's up to you

Yeah, but I'm a pragmatist type of person. If I can save money and I will get the same thing or at least similar.

I am not in the US.

I'm not talking about you

In this case go for the xiaomi redmi note 5. The price x performance is unbeatable.

Attached: file.png (960x1042, 840K)

Ohhh. Ok :) Love you mate

Nokia 7+

Faggot

Why not Note 5 Pro

Poo

ZenFone Max Pro M1 or Redmi Note 5?

This vs mi mix 2? I hate that mi mix 2 has no headphone jack and I read that the ceramic back break after being dropped once.

Zenphone

Nokia 7+ or the Google Pixel?
I like the extra storage on the Nokia but the Google camera is better and it's not a huge phone.

Attached: 1530636617785.gif (304x280, 684K)

xiaomi's terminology is a bit confusing.

In the indian market the redmi note 5 = redmi 5 plus in china and the redmo note 5 5 pro is the chinese redmi note 5.

You cannot use an sd card on the pixle so you're stuck with 32gb

Mi mix is much superior than note 5, in performance and price.
If you want the best value for your money go for note 5 if you want a better phone, mi mix.

I know, I considered that a dealbreaker so far.
Cloud storage sounds ass, but I have a 4,6' phone now, to go straight to a 6' phone seems too much too.

>tfw my internet speeds on my phone are dogshit right now because they are upgrading the towers to 5G.

So what’s the deal with 5G? Can I get a quick rundown?

getting this, good choice?

Attached: sony_1308_4907_xperia_xz_premium_5_5_1328167.jpg (2500x2500, 173K)

Is this a good deal?:
ebay.com/itm/202267006091?var=502229758762

Kino

Hello my dudes, i want to buy my 15 year old normie brother a pixel (the original one) phone, because i broke his 5s. Is it a good phone for general usage( snapchat, instagram, spotify normie shit) ? Will hold up well in 2018? i feel sorryy about breaking his old phone but i dont have enough money to buy him a 2018 flag ship. Thanks
ps: chinise phones dont come to my country so those are out of the question.

eBay

Hows the dac on the xiao.mi redmi note 5

I bought the P20 pro for 599 euros. Want to use it until the Note 10 comes out and is affordable. Did I do ok?

if he had an iPhone he his going to want an iPhone

Pls respond

No

I'm dumb someone tell me how to root android 8 gs7

the galaxy s8 is a no go because of the bootloader? am i right?

Depends what you want, 95% of people have literally no need for an unlocked bootloader and the GS8/9 are easily recommendable.

The people who NEED an unlocked bootloader, sure avoid samsung.

Subpar battery life, but not a locked bootloader - little to no custom ROM support actually.

>subpar battery life
compared to what?

S8 battery life is still in the top 20% of all modern flagships.

>It's literally fucking nothing
People will use the S pen one or two times during the first week of phone use and quickly forget it even exists in the first place. And this is coming from a Note 8 user.

Attached: Screenshot_20180705-005434_Nova Launcher.jpg (1440x2960, 1.98M)

Fuck Sony. Why can't they just make walkman phones again but on a smartphone and with a good quality DAC with physical player controls on the side? There's no reason to buy an android phone anymore that isn't Samsung.

Also coming from a Note8 user, I use my Spen at least 3-4 times a week, more if I am working away from the office. Being able to sign documents when i'm on the go ALONE is well worth the Spen. Even if that's ALL it could do, i'd buy the note series just for that.

Could be, but why compare to it battery life of flaghisps? It doesn't make sense for that line of smartphones to not top all tests, but it's sadly true.
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8161#show

i was thinking about getting an s8 to keep it for 3-4 years and with rom support would be nice to keep it updated. but with unlocked bootloader I have to consider a different phone

Because it's fucking obvious a fat mid-range phone with mid-range specs but with a HUGE battery is going to destroy every flagship on the market, the reason flagships don't have the best battery life is because they have the best everything else.

If you want the best battery life getting the highest end most power hungry GPU, CPU, and display, are NOT going to be the way to go.

>with rom support would be nice to keep it updated
Look for yourself. These are just debloated TouchWiz builds. Definitely not ideal for 3-4 years of Android version and security updates.
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/development
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/samsung-galaxy-s8--s8-cross-device-development
>the reason flagships don't have the best battery life is because they have the best everything else.
This hasn't been true for quite some time. And when you're parting with the better part of 1000 dollars or the whole 1000 dollars, shouldn't you expect absolutely every aspect to be unprecedented? Not happening, no matter how much buyers would like it.
youtube.com/watch?v=I36qvNvWBRY

But you wouldn't upgrade just because you can now remotely take photos with it. Hell I can do that with a $1 bluetooth earphone from aliexpress.
And the fact that these features (like controlling music) requires you to leave the pen out means more chances of losing it.

Attached: 1530253593206.jpg (828x565, 167K)

Of course not, the Note9 ISN'T meant to replace Note8's it's meant to replace the people on older phones.

Samsung wants to sell you a phone every 2-3 years, only retards buy phones every single year.

>This hasn't been true for quite some time. And when you're parting with the better part of 1000 dollars or the whole 1000 dollars, shouldn't you expect absolutely every aspect to be unprecedented? Not happening, no matter how much buyers would like it.
You're a retard and have no idea what goes in to phone development.

>BUT WHY CAN'T THEY JUST IGNORE PHYSICS AND GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!?!??!

that's literally you.

my homescreen :)

Attached: file.png (720x1280, 705K)

>retard
>implying implications and quoting something you only heard in your head
Care to post anything comprehensible?
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9_costs_379_build-news-30147.php
I am aware of building costs, R&D costs and shipping costs - but why is it not reasonable to expect the best performance in any aspect for such a price tag? Because "retard" of course.

No, because no average consumer is going to buy a phone that is 2x as thick as any other phone in it's category.

as much as YOU don't care, the average consumer does.

Again, you can't get everything you want, physics dictates a lot of these design choices. Either you get a THICC as fuck phone, or you have less battery life, or you have less powerful SoC. On a flagship device your customers want a sleek good looking phone that is as powerful as possible. As long as the battery life is going to last an average person for an entire day, the consumers don't care.

Again, i'm sorry you're a special snowflake who NEEDS more battery life AND high end performance, but realize you're in the minority and no company is going to tailor a device to your needs when that market segment simply isn't worth the R&D effort to begin with.

>Either you get a THICC as fuck phone, or you have less battery life, or you have less powerful SoC
Demonstrably not true.
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8161&idPhone2=8319&idPhone3=8893
This is 0.1mm of difference.
>Again, i'm sorry you're a special snowflake who NEEDS more battery life AND high end performance
What are you even talking about and why are you imagining scenarios no one talked about, not to mention putting them in my mouth? I only asked one question and you went on a rant for whatever reason.

Are you serious?

Like I said, if you want a mid-range phone with a big battery, buy one. That's exactly what you posted.

SD-625 + Adreno 506

vs

SD 835 + Adreno 540

These are two totally different classes of phone.

As the other dude said, comparing phones with VASTLY different SoCs is retarded.

Further, the S8 has a 1440p display vs 1080p for the other.

Phone noob here. Is Android One the same as the skin that Pixel phones have? Are we guaranteed updates for at least 3 years?

You argued about the thickness of devices with bigger batteries and I only pointed out it is marginal, that's it.

...it's not marginal, The P2 is a less featured phone, it has a shittier, screen, it has worse SoC, which means it has smaller heatsinks and less mainboard taking up space inside allowing more room for a bigger battery. It has a far more basic radio, it has far less advanced internal sensors (the S8 has a ton of sensors for it's VR headset pairing)

Further, all of these components are lower powered than the S8 versions, so battery life goes further for it.

Stop being retarded and educate yourself.

Do you honestly think these companies aren't putting in a decent battery because they want to jew you?

>Is Android One the same as the skin that Pixel phones have?
It's called stock Android, but yes.
Pixel uses a custom launcher, though.
>Are we guaranteed updates for at least 3 years?
Major updates for two years, security updates for three years.
Same as Pixel, that's kinda the point of Android One.

Use OTG memory to transfer things onto and out of your G2. I have a Meizu phone that doesn't have expandable storage and 64gb internal is good for me, I use OTG for transferring movies into and out of when I need to. Sharp Aquos S2 if you need a new phone because its cheap.

>...it's not marginal
I was talking about thickness and again you're obsessing over something no one mentioned or wanted to argue for. This leads nowhere, no need for any further replies.

I have the same dilemma.

It comes back to physics then, if you want powerful internal CPU and GPU, you sacrifice battery life or size.

As I said several posts ago, if you want a mid-range phone with a big battery, there are many options out there.

How the fuck you think a flagship is supposed to compete in any way just shows you're literally a fucking idiot with no understanding of how battery life and internal components relate.

>why can't flagships do what lower powered mid-range phones do

....really?

Yeah and I have to make up my mind fast, my current phone (Z3 Compact) is in shambles.
I'm leaning to the Pixel right now, the idea of a huge phone in my pocket, having to use both hands sounds worse than the limited storage.

Will the Redmi Note 5 survive my carelessness? My Galaxy s5 stood some pretty heavy beating before getting a cracked screen.

Attached: 1498736557356.png (500x375, 91K)

Are the rumors true that the galaxy note 10 next year will be bendable?

I'm trying to determine whether I should get the note 9 this year, or hold off till next year for something possibly greater

Attached: 1498171052288.png (741x609, 27K)

Thank you user, can you tell me where did you get if from, because I'm not sure if it is worth waiting for the global release. Also, what is your opinion on the Asus Zenfone 5 (not the 5z though)?

If your current phone is in good condition and does what you want, you probably should just wait for next year anyway.

Does /spg/ like Nokia?

youtu.be/hMf-qjmALAM
youtu.be/fb4FXzkpSrI

From what I've seen so far, they don't like locked bootloaders. However, Nokia 7+ gets recommended often here, and so does the 6.1, but to a lesser extent.

This

Never EVER again

Attached: Nokia_N9.jpg (961x1642, 367K)

The ZE620KL is a great phone, but check to see if it picks up your necessary LTE bands

Looks like it's from 2010

I just got an S8. Should I even bother rooting it?

XZ1C it is then

Attached: 1513823816479.png (720x842, 886K)

What do you think of the Oppo R15?

Attached: OPPO-R15-PACM00-6-28-Inch-6GB-128GB-Smartphone-Purple-611659-.jpg (1000x1000, 116K)

I am cautiously enjoying the pure Android experience so far, coming off from the Galaxy S5 although I doubt the Pixel will last as long as the Samsung did. That shit is literally unbreakable.

Attached: 20180722_225005.jpg (5312x2988, 1.26M)

How is the screen? I've read so many nightmare stories about the subpar QC.

Does /spg/ like phone cases?

I think I'm gonna buy a nokia 6.1 to replace my redmi note 4. The screen broke when I was on a trip, it fell out of my bag. I need something durable non-chink because I hate cases.

It's like a shitty mod for an otherwise good software that completely fucks up the vanilla design.

>tfw actually enjoying my razer phone despite the brand
What's wrong with me

I was talking about the cases at the ebéd by the way**

Thats true, but i ve heard the pixel is the closest to the iphone experience (software wise). The pixel is way cheaper than an iphone 7 and iphone 6s where i live.

What do we think of the Razer Gaming Phone?

Attached: razerphone10.jpg (2000x1125, 819K)

What games is it made for?

Hello my dudes, i want to buy my 15 year old normie brother a pixel (the original one) phone, because i broke his 5s. Is it a good phone for general usage( snapchat, instagram, spotify normie shit) ? Will hold up well in 2018? i feel sorryy about breaking his old phone but i dont have enough money to buy him a 2018 flag ship. Thanks

someone reply plz

Pretty good I supoose. There is a little blue shift but I've read that this is normal for an OLED screen.

The display is not in the same calibre as the A8+ that my mom has although that one also exhibits a slight blue shift.

Attached: 20180722_232623.jpg (1125x2000, 1.31M)