Be me

>Be me
>Reading "The C programming language"
>12 pages in
>Understand nothing

Am I retarded or while it make sense after reading more?

Attached: 1532152869334.png (800x800, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2NWeucMKrLI
knking.com/books/c2/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're retarded, go back to python or html

this

Have you even programmed before?

its not the best first programming language, user

start with something else

It's the best one to start with. It's just not the best one to stick with.

Fuck you

Fuck you

No I haven't and I knew it was going to be hard but shit I didn't expect to understand nothing

Pls no

Will It make sense after a while desu

no, its not the best one to start with

you will not understand half of C if you dont know assembly

either start lower level or higher level before C

>Be me
>Become a NEET in 2012
>Try to learn programming in 2013
>I'm a lazy NEET so I spend most of my time not doing something productive
>Still bad at programming and I haven't completed a project

Attached: 1521029049189.png (606x511, 661K)

>ask if you're retarded
>get answer
>be angry
I'm so sorry, user, it's terminal.

Attached: 1519553908649.png (817x443, 34K)

Welp. Guess I'm 100% retarded

ur retarded for asking. start with the basics when learning...so don't start with C

hello am recommend starting with java

C is a good language to learn first.
K&R is a terrible book to read first.

Don't be frustrated when it's hard at first.

Attached: Dreyfus-Skill-Acquisition.jpg (850x850, 101K)

>No I haven't and I knew it was going to be hard but shit I didn't expect to understand nothing
Well there's your problem. That book is for learning C, not for learning programming.

What are some good books to learn C for beginners desu?

Can't tell from my experience. In highschool, I have opted for a two-year programming course besides standard IT lessons. We have coded in Pascal, both procedural and object-oriented, plus some HTML, Visual Basic, etc.

Some time during the first year I read this generic "C++ For Beginners" book, found that C would probably be a better choice, and so I later bought K&R which I am about to finish now. I read it start to finish, rarely practising, and never had trouble understanding concepts. However, had I dove into C without that prior experience, this would have been a whole different story.

That's why I said don't start with K&R. For recommendation on what to actually start with, you will have to ask others.

If you don't already know a language then it will obviously be harder. If you know a language and can't understand a C book 12 pages in then pls kill yourself.

Why does Jow Forums hate indians so much?

Attached: gold.png (600x580, 572K)

you're probably a hands-on learner
look up some programming guides and exercises online and just jump into it

because they can't compete.

>Be me
>Reading "The C programming language"
>Doing the first or second chapters problems(can't remember)
>Anxiety kicks in
>Stop midway and never read it again

Am I beyond salvation?

you got memed by Jow Forums, learn java insted

It's probably not going to really make sense. That book is not a good place to pick up theory if you're reading it outside the classroom. I know it's blasphemy, but I recommend Eloquent JavaScript for learning basic programming foundations. That said, you have to go into it already understanding that other languages are different syntactically. Types are pretty forgiving in JS, you don't have to define what they are, or even define them at all before you use them. It can train you in bad practices. Go to C next if you want. I went from JS to C# with a brief stop off in C++. Currently learning F#. It's been a comfy journey

what is in the introduction that is so difficult to understand

The C programming language is not to learn programming, it is for people to know programming and want to learn how to be an efficient programmer

You fell for it OP
No one actually reads these books they're used to make you feel insecure about your skills. You need to focus on building things and getting rich and telling young people who wanna eat your lunch that they need to read SICP first

90% of learning is practicing, rote memorization only gets you so far.

k&r is only really any good if you have some programming experience already imo. it has lots of good exercises tho and its very thorough

Pick some up, when it gets boring do something else, then come back and do some more. C#/C++ are more digestible from my experience though.

You're retarded. Start with examples, not books.

Build what? I'm making a game but the amount of work needed is really taking a toll.

Don't read that book. Do some tutorials for fucks sake. You'll be wasting time unless you're a wizard.

Just hire Pajeet do the programming parts

no

Attached: 1532106576597.png (433x429, 40K)

dumb tripfag

youtube.com/watch?v=2NWeucMKrLI

Don't just read the book. Start writing little programs. Also, start with a different language.

The learning type matters: Some people need a drawn explanation, some need raw numbers, some are better off with an analogy of something they know and understand, some need audio.

How the f*cker dives into the topic is also relevant: If something is completely new to others it's best to go step by step with some highly different examples and repetition. Bad is to overwhelm others with lots of of stuff and using terms explained later only.
Also bad is explaining how to do something while forgetting about why and ignoring alternate methods (like doing something the hard way just to make a point it's possible while that matters little for someone completely new to the topic).

Give your brain some time, it'll figure it out. It's all basic structure and you need to get used to it. It's not like learning an actual language as the syntax is specific and what matters are the tiny details.

Don't read it all in one session like a fucking novel, man! You read a chapter, then you try to apply what you have read, and google the stuff you did not understand. Also check out some tutorials, read a lot of code and get more than one book on the topic. Try O'Reilly - Practical C Programming and C Programming: A Modern Approach by K. N. King.

if you don't even know what a conditional is then K&R can't help.

just google every concept that goes over your head, i guess.

K&R is fucking absolutely, complete shit
it's an actual meme and overrated book unlike SICP.

read a modern approach by King.

>12 pages in
> I don't understand
>am I retarded?
Yes, very. Just take a pen, sheet and re-read slowly every fucking page. Ask an adult to help you if you have trouble.

It is in fact the best programming language to start with. You learn literally everything, no hand holding. If you want OOP, just create your own structs with function pointers as methods...boom

>you will not understand half of C if you dont know assembly
t. never programmed in C in his life or is genuinely retarded

So i've written this in in my first year of Graduate course, roughly 4 years back and this was my first blog post related to Studies so i've saved it and want to give many more tutorials on things like this to understand them better so i'm just pasting it here

Main things for beginners to look forward to or to concentrate mostly on C Programming :
1) data types and variable i.e what are int,char,str,mem,double,long,unsigned long etc and
2) functions like how to call a function and how to initialize them and what is initializing and calling if you understand them then the next step is easy there are two parts declaration and definition i.e declaration is nothing but telling the compiler by codes that this is a certain particular type of variable like an integer or a letter(character)
where we have previously mentioned as int,char so there you go after dis the next thing to focus on are

3) arrays i.e a function which has the same type of variables like integers or only characters in arrays you cant combine two arrays of diff tybe of variables e.g you cant combine an array containing elements of integers with elements of chars(letters) well you can but for that you have to go to the next

chapter4) pointers these are nothing which give value but the name says it all they are pointers they point to something ,that something is a variable technically their definition is variables whose value is the address of another variable so now you can combine a pointer and an array so u take an array and take the pointer which has the address of another array with diff variables so when you combine they concatenate(combine) so ur indirectly combining them using adress of another variable now how to combine them you dont know so now v go to next

1/3 ??

chapter5) strings again the name xplains you have these characters or variables or arrays you have to put them inside string fnctions so now strings you can combine(concatenate),break,copy,move and even can find strlen i.e string length which finds out how many characters there are in that particular function like if i want to find length i type certain starting codes and in the middle part where funcs are activated i put for eg strlen(word) something lyk that then the output on screen comes as 4 so lyk that there are many types of functions and codes to do many things and manipulate things so now these are the basics alright and there are many other things too lyk call by reference,call by value,memory concepts,repetition functions i.e if i want nos 4m 1 to 100 or my name to be printed on the screen(i.e output) 100 tyms or n times or i want the sum 4m 1 to 100 things like that we use repetition codes like for,while,do-while.and there are different types of operators like &,#,%,(),, ? etc what they do and pointer arithmetics,like adding two integers,calculating them normally in a function,calulating them using arrays,using pointers or in strings there are many little but important things which u'll definitely learn in the process u may think no thats bull but true c its like this im telling u alphabets from a to z but if there is a word how do you pronounce it, yeah xactly im just telling a few bullet points i may not mention all of them or i may have made a mistake or two bcoz even im a beginner and im writing from that point of view of things i have learnt recently and practising them so u can say im wting this mostly to see what i have learned over these past days if it has been helpful im glad
2/3 ??

chapter6) structures now structures are a comparitively newer topic compared to arrays anyway structures are exactly like arrays but remember in arrays we can or could only put variables of same type but in structures you can put elements of different variables or different types in the same place so to b more clear consider arrays as a matrix you know which has elements well array is the same too but instead of just [1234] you can put [1a2dfd3f4] in structures so it has a few functions too on its own as to how to put the elements in a structure i wont go into the technical stuff and bore you but you get the idea so after this you get the next

chapter7) unions they are also derived data types like a structure but with members that share the same storage space to get clarity in structures once you declare a variable like integer or char they have specific storage space in memory like 2 bytes or 4 bytes and even more for double types,float types and long types and the minute you initialize this variables such as integers or chars a certain memory space is put aside only for that particular variable you can modify it using various other functions but im telling the base part but in unions you dont need to declare them you just have to mention the memspc(memory space ) and it puts aside the memory space and after you use up the memory space from an integer or a char then you can declare that that variable so the main diff to structs and unions is the former is pre-declaration and the latter(unions) is post-declaration of the variables so after this there are a few

3/4??

chapter8) binary system which introduce and explain to you the binary system not bcoz they are v.important but mostly bcoz they are the key to the understanding the roots of the programs your writing and the codes your writing and the facebook ur surfing on the windows everything is made up of bits that is a bit namely a '1' or a '0' and 8 bits a word ,etc and after you get the idea of all these concepts then after this mostly evything is a cake walk and there are topics as file processing, and files i/o which mostly tells you how to open files processing files,and how to process(view) information from files and how to close those files using commands like fclose(),fopen(),etc and then there is memory management which helps you to allocate memory and copy memory of one file into other like memcpy and memalloc etc now these are things in c wit a few other side topics and

4/5 ??

faggot, I pushed 60h/week manual labor while reading and doing projects just to advance into white collar work.

What're you having trouble with and what's it gone over so far

then there is c++ which is nothing but a much more bigger and wider approach from c so consider a small circle and another bigger circle around it the smaller is c and obviously the bigger 1 is c++ and its more larger mostly because it has the capability of object oriented programming which is also used in java and a few other web designs which is nothing but it has classes and objects for e.g acc to c++ and java consider a noun dog that is called an object and the classes are its behaviors like barking ,eating,running etc so next tym you dont need to type all that if you just type dog the compiler understands its objects and classes like a 3d approach on things and programming so now i keep saying when you write dis in a compiler or dat in a c compiler this happens compiler is nothing but a translator b/w you and the system which makes the system understand the codes your writing directly so wen i say c compiler it means a compiler which has the standard library and functions and certain rules by the way you you type to make the system understand wat ur sayin now u dont like c then there are other compilers which have more easy and more comfortable way of language but i can bet not as clever as c wat do i mean by clever you may ask why cant i just type a few english words and move my mouse and click around and get the desired result ofcourse you can get what do u think windows or linux or ubuntu these are they are advanced compilers or a compiler ina compilr in a compiler and the final product is how can is ay this"user friendly" so a program with pre-defined set of codes is called a software and
5/6 (next one is final i think)

you need to start with the fundamentals bro

Attached: 71FBffprqtL.jpg (1400x1756, 234K)

a software with inbuilt codes which the user can manipulate to a certain extent are called operating systems now y cant v do these adding on os itself mainly bcoz they take way more memory and way more time you may think na in a calculator in windows it can do all big numbrs product in a second but in a compiler it takes much more larger nos than that and not only adds but gives the power of that no. and in 2 to 3 bytes where in windows it takes 5 to 6mb which is 5000kb approx which is 5000 x 1000bytes you get 5x10^6 bytes so there you go compiler are nothing but programs which take use of most of the systems capabilities and to their full extent yeah its a bit long well bcoz i have space here but i dont have much tym well i do but i may not have the interest tomorrow and may postpone and also im ona roll ri8 now so im just gonna go with it so ther you go thats ma update on c 4m which i learned and next tym im gonna introduce you and tell basics about c's allegro programming which is a game programming language where with writing codes you can create games such as pacman,bounce,ice hockey,sudoku etc where v can introduce graphics and even sounds and truthfully i cant tell u now bcoz i havent yet completed it reading so how in the hell can i write shit abt it so currently reading all this from

>c-how to program from deitel and deitel ,introducing allegro game programming

6/6. the end

>reads first 12 pages of k&r
>ignores paragraph related

Attached: IMG_20180722_140053961~2.jpg (2986x496, 306K)

yoooooooo bro where can i subcribe to ur blog>?>?>>!>!>

Attached: HIGH RES FROG.jpg (8000x6732, 1.87M)

don't know if sarcastic or actually believing that retard's posts?

> No one actually reads these books they're used to make you feel insecure about your skills. You need to focus on building things and getting rich and telling young people who wanna eat your lunch that they need to read SICP first

Wat? K & R is an incredibly easy read and it's short enough to finish in less than a week. You could probably get it done in a single weekend if you read it from dawn to dusk. C is probably the simplest programming language that's in widespread use. OP is probably just retarded.

>C is probably the simplest programming language that's in widespread use

today on "user is retarded", this shit

Read C Primer Plus if you want to learn C and to program

simple != easy

You're retarded for learning to program via a book. Do HackerRank problems in C, and gradually increase problem difficulty. Then hack around in Android.

That's how I learned C.

>inb4 people say I didn't actually learn it
>I've written device drivers in Android and now work at SpaceX

Assembly is simple also, doesn't make it not hard as fuck to read

It is a book for those that already know programming and want to learn C. Not a programming textbook.

That's a good book if you're interested in learning exactly what's going on.

It's not a book for people who are new to programming

C is literally the brainlet language.
If you can't comprehend piss-easy C, you never try programming again.

Attached: 1509887318116.png (1834x1200, 639K)

Until you start making actual projects with it.

Don’t learn a language first.

Learn programming, look for books with basics that use pseudocode.

Then you can move to any language you want.

knking.com/books/c2/index.html

that book is not the best place to start. If you like learning with videos, sign up for CS50X, Harvard's Intro to Comp Sci, on one of those free learning platforms, can't remember which. The course guides you through C and basic comp sci concepts.

Best advice in this thread.
Programming isn't about learning a language, it's about understanding concepts and using those to solve the problems you face when building your software. Puzzle solving basically.
Learn pseudocode and the concepts of programming, then move on to the language you think would make most sense for your use case.
Learning new languages isn't hard as soon as you've got one down.
Also, the performance of C comes with many pitfalls and inconveniences, making it not always the best language for software that doesn't rely on being executed as fast as possible.

reading this board makes me feel better about myself, i'm glad i'm not this mentally challenged

>C is literally the brainlet language.
it is true that C is very stupid in a sense because it's very close to the machine and machines are very stupid, but humans dont think like machines, so high-level programming languages are actually much easier to understand conceptually than C, where you have to build all the abstraction layers yourself from scratch.

>resizable arrays
>resizable arrays

I see what you did there.

If you've never programmed before then I wouldn't recommend C as a first language. C is not a bad language its just that it has a specific purpose. C is great if you're going to do system programming but it has no safe guards in place if you fuck up. You need to first understand the fundamentals.

Try javascript to get an understanding of the basics then move on to something with a stricter type system like C#, Java, or Scala. From there you can learn C to get a better grasp of data structures.

You're not stupid. You think surgeons get shit on the first try? Do you know how many people they kill before they get good? Its just code, bro. Keep at it.

I didn't get it at first either but now I'm a software engineer for a Fortune 100.

If you wanna make a career out of it then I suggest not stopping at code. The market is becoming competitive. So competitive that I had to learn all kinds of IT stuff. I'm a programmer and a Linux sysadmin. I had to learn a lot about Windows Server and general Windows sysadmin stuff. I had to learn how to troubleshoot networking issues. There's a lot to learn but that the difference between being a hobbyist and being a professional.

This is what you'll need in your toolbox to be successful:

>Basic networking. Understand the OSI model. Network+ or a M$ networking cert wouldn't help.

>Learn some frameworks. No one gives a shit how many languages you learn. Learn something like React for Javascript and Spring with Java. You'll have a job in no time.

>Learn some devops shit. System administration ties into this. I was a Build Release Engineer and all I had to do was fuck around with Linux and JIRA all day. Easiest 60k I've ever made in my fucking life. A high school kid could do the job but companies are too retarded to figure this shit out.

>Fucking people skills. Be able to make people laugh, hold a conversation, and be professional. Learn how to explain technical shit to normies. Learn how to blend in with normies.

1/?

any tips on that last bit? and before you say go outside my nearest neighbor is 1 mile away

why are you learning an obsolete language?
start off with something easy (python, javascript) then move onto c++, rust, whatever

If you have never programmed before, don't worry, it's perfectly acceptable.
K&R is IMHO still a good book to learn C, but you should already have some basic knowledge about programming in general before reading it.

wtf!? me too!! lol

I'll take complete hyperbolic bullshit for $500, Alex.

Yes the concepts you mentioned do take a deeper understanding of programming. Now try implementing them in C and assembler.

Yea that's what I thought.

Continued

>Correction. I meant to say that any networking cert will help you. Network+ is vendor agnostic and is a great place to start.

>Learn databases. MySQL is free and you can download dummy tables to mess with. Any non-trivial piece of software is going to interact with some kind of database.

>Lastly. Never stop learning. Read about advances in computer science and keep up with the latest trends.

>and before you say go outside my nearest neighbor is 1 mile away

Then will my advice really help? That last line reeked of defeatism. Find a place where people congregate and talk to them. If you don't have friends then just make some. Your nearest city should have events or festivals going on all the time. I'm not saying you have to be a social butterfly or some club-hopping douchebag. Find people with similar interests. There are Linux User Groups, cybersecurity groups, comic book shops were people play tabletop games, and a lot of other things. You just have to put forth the initiative.

I know what its like to be a countryfag. I lived in the Midwest. You know where the jobs are? They damn sure aren't in the middle of the country. They're in cities. Even then countryfags throw great fucking parties and love to fuck up their trucks going off road and shit. You can meet people at a shooting range if that's your thing. You can join a volunteer militia. Just fucking DO SOMETHING. You're on the internet. Google "events near me" or "festivals near me" or whatever. You have to take initiative. No one is going to do it for you.

Get this, it teaches the fundamentals of programming in general and with C and I found it easier to understand things when in the context of an arduino.

Attached: 517UQtDHj2L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (324x499, 29K)

This is page 12 if anyone's wondering. This is what retard OP cannot fathom.

Attached: Untitled.png (1031x935, 135K)

Yes? I haven't done any programming and I don't really understand it either.

The fuck are non-programmers doing on a technology board?
I don't want to be *that guy* but please enlighten me as to how your brain works.
It's basic C, it's all there on the screen. It's not like we're calling some ambiguous sort method in python.

This man gets it.

The book is great and I have personally read it several times, but it's not a good introduction to programming in general nor was it intended as such.

>the only thing technology related is programming

Stop acting like you're cool because " its just basic " it being basic doesn't matter if some one, including me, doesn't even understand basics.

If you have prior programming experience it's easy. If not, learn an easy language like python and try again.
Or maybe you just don't have patientce.

Half of this board is watches and headphones. Why are you shocked?

Also ambiguous sort method in python is funny. All of you need to know in python is expected input, 1 or 2 options, and expected output. Numpy makes math trivial (and hidden). Python is piss easy to understand...

It's LITERALLY written right there. You could literally rename a few identifiers and it would read like a novel.

The intended function is written that doesn't help me understand how it works or what everything else means.

Get off your high horse and take a step back. There was a time when you didn't know any of this either.

C is fine. Also the first language doesn't matter too much, as long as it's one of the big mainstream languages.

nah youre just stupid mate, this is stuff you should literally be able to understand by just reading the first page or so of an intro to c book/blog.
don't come on Jow Forums and ask people if youre being retarded and then act like a salty bitch when everyone tells you that you are retarded

There was a time when I didn't know why there's a While loop but not Until or AsLongAs loops but this shit is just an expanded mathematical formula. This is not even programming, it's straight discrete mathematical layout - a template.

>been trying to learn programming since late 2015
>reading book
>get all excited do exercises, try different scenarios using syntax I just learned
>it works! it feels great
>start next chapter
>feel scared for some reason
>stop reading for a while then start the book over, force myself through that chapter then get more excited
>next chapter, same thing happens
>cycle continues
FUCK

I haven't read any of that dumb fuck. Do you not understand what don't know basic programming means? Arrogant piece of shit, kill your fucking self.

Are you a beginner? It might not be the book for you since it assumes you already have programming knowledge. Try something like "Programming in C, 0321776410" instead

You could literally start reading the code out loud and it would make sense in the english language, math aside.

lmao @ brainlets getting mad