Coding Bootcamps

Anyone been through one of these things? What was your experience? Know anyone who has? Did they get a job from it?

Attached: coding-bootcamp.jpg (940x501, 148K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X7jf70dNrUo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're a meme for goldrush seeking college dropouts.

All the good ones require you to already know enough to get hired, and they focus more on "The game" you have to play to get a good job, like CVs, whiteboarding, technical vocabulary, explaining yourself etc..Not really about just learning to be a better programmer. They'll teach you all that weird shit that will make you crush a job interview.

All the introduction ones won't teach you anything you can't learn online for free in the same amount of time (or less). Literally only good if you can't teach yourself and for some crazy fucking reason won't go to school to learn instead.

Teach yourself or go to school instead.

No, they are scams, go read a book back to front and do the non-retarded exercises.

just buy udemy course for $10 and get a job
thats what i did
tfw I miss neetdom

Well some people learn better in that environment. If that's you then go for it, but I suspect most people on Jow Forums would be better off teaching themselves.

And don't read meme books recommended by Jow Forums.

If you're starting out buy a modern book, ideally one that assumes no knowledge, something like Kochans C book is perfect and it doesn't take more than a few weeks to complete if you're a NEET or working part-time.

But know at least the bare-minumum of High School math and basic set theory and you have a good launching point.

Also learn to be a mathematician, not being a math person is a meme, passion is learned and math is actually funner than vidya once you get past the learning curve, ofcourse if you're bad at something you're not gonna wanna do it, just push through.

Haven't been to one, but I know a guy who went and got a job shortly after. He said they fully prepared him for the workforce and it only took like 3 months + $10k so definitely seems worth it for him.

He did say though that you can take the projects as far as you want and he spent pretty much all day working on them, sommething not everyone there did and not everyone was able to find a job as quickly as him.

Let me add on by saying he's a front-end web dev working mostly with javascript and most likely could have just taught himself with online resources for practically free. Not everyone is that disciplined, though.

>paying for content stolen from free/open source content creators
youtube.com/watch?v=X7jf70dNrUo

Attached: 00282.jpg (403x293, 15K)

>paying for udemy
Almost all content on udemy can be found for free without even trying hard to find it, pretty sure that's another major complaint is that anything uploaded to udemy is instantly available for free without even looking hard

Attached: bogpepe.jpg (905x905, 199K)

>instantly available for free without even looking hard
Yes, because they steal popular ideas/content. Remember when machine learning was a hot topic for the noob community ? Not much after, Udemy had every other video found in youtube on their website

I went to one after I graduated from university with a very low grade physics degree.

>All the good ones require you to already know enough to get hired, and they focus more on "The game" you have to play to get a good job, like CVs, whiteboarding, technical vocabulary, explaining yourself etc..Not really about just learning to be a better programmer. They'll teach you all that weird shit that will make you crush a job interview.

This is very true. I had self taught myself java at a previous job and I went to one of the best in London. There were mostly only successful people there, people who'd done non-technical degrees at Oxford and Cambridge, former design heads who were fed up of being first out and seeing the techies keep their jobs and about 3 SJWs.

>He did say though that you can take the projects as far as you want and he spent pretty much all day working on them, sommething not everyone there did and not everyone was able to find a job as quickly as him.
Also very true. I was hired almost immediately. I graduated on a Friday, got an interview for Tuesday, offered a job on Wednesday and been with the company ever since. Not everyone had that experience (actually no one did, I was the best there) because I had self studied a huge amount before I came in programming.

However what they did teach me was invaluable - the memes around being a software engineer. Git & source control, unit tests, BDD, TDD, stand ups, github as a portfolio, basic design patterns (literally just MVC lol but somewhere to start).

You can learn those alone, but you won't encounter them fizzbuzzing along which is what I was doing. I had taught myself programming earlier - but I was still saving small scripts as "make_template_from_presentation_v9.vba".

On one hand, I think that through career events and employer networks, they might be useful but on the other hand, I'm a bit weary of how they contacted me directly (no more than a few minutes) after I submitted my application which raises some flags because that's usually behavior seen by scams.

Stephen Grider's stuff is only on Udemy and it's breddy good.

Attached: tobey-maguire-1.jpg (300x300, 22K)

You'll "graduate" as code monkey, literally the modern day equivalent of a laborer. If you really want to learn programming (which for me is the same as wanting to design circuits by just knowing how to slaps "lego" of circuits together without knowing the why; in short you'll never be a professional) then pick a language, start familiarizing with it, experiment, try some project on your own and so on.
Visual C# like Python are good first choices for beginners.

If you want to cap yourself at webdev/framework plumbing then yeah

I went back for my masters and now do state of the art machine learning :&)

I teach at one. Out of 100+ students I've taught, about 10 never got jobs.

I was meaning that they're basically free.
Udemy has absolutely no anti-piracy measures, you can just download everything with a single click, they don't even try to make it hard.

literally everything that is on Udemy is also on some other website for free

I'm too stupid to code.

Another thing good bootcamps do is get you working on team projects. While you could get this on your own at college or online, most times it falls through or takes forever.

College
>Teaches you how to build a car
Lootcamp
>Teaches you how to drive a car
Yes there are more driving jobs. But please don't think you're an engineer because you learnt how to operate non-trivial machinery

>College
>>Teaches you how to build a car
lel

Lol, based scammers.

It seems that they introduce you to companies. Also I have read, that for some you don't have to pay if you don't land a job.

Probably they are most useful for connections and that piece of paper, I can not imagine they are worth it for the skill alone.

More like
>college
>teaches you how a car works

we won't hire anyone from bootcamp

No, college teaches you the theories behind how cars are built (though not driven). Bootcamps teach you how to build a particular type in a certain way. Both can be learned on your own of course.

Yes, the one near me sets you up with an internship. I was able to work with a couple of graduates, they seemed very competent for someone having only programmed for a few months.

College is better. Bootcamps can be ok, but to me you're wasting 1000s of dollars for stuff you can learn for free. Also, a bootcamp alone won't make you a good programmer. That takes years of experience honestly. I've been working in software professionally for a bit over 3 years now and have been coding in my free time for about 10 years before that and just now am I starting to consider myself a good programmer and I still realize there are quite a few things I know very little about.

what course did you take?

CS degree = construction engineer
coding camp = construction worker