Uber driver livestreams his riders on Twitch, gets banned from everything

>The women are among hundreds of St. Louis area Uber passengers who have been streamed online without their knowledge by their driver, Jason Gargac, 32, of Florissant.

>Gargac has given about 700 rides in the area since March through Uber, plus more with Lyft. Nearly all have been streamed to his channel on Twitch, a live video website popular with video gamers where Gargac goes by the username “JustSmurf.”

>Passengers have included children, drunk college students and unwitting public figures such as a local TV news reporter and Jerry Cantrell, lead guitarist with the band Alice in Chains.

>First names, and occasionally full names, are revealed. Homes are shown. Passengers have thrown up, kissed, talked trash about relatives and friends and complained about their bosses in Gargac’s truck.

>All the while, an unseen online audience watches, evaluating women’s bodies, judging parents and mocking conversations.

stltoday.com/news/local/metro/st-louis-uber-driver-has-put-video-of-hundreds-of/article_9060fd2f-f683-5321-8c67-ebba5559c753.html

If anybody archived these videos (since Twitch keeps livestreams as VOD) before Twitch took them down, it would be a hell of a popular torrent.

Would Jow Forums be pissed if they were livestreamed by this guy?

Attached: 1532270697146.jpg (1200x674, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2018/7/21/17598220/uber-lyft-driver-livestreamed-hundreds-of-riders-without-consent
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Would Jow Forums be pissed if they were livestreamed by this guy?
Yes. What a creep.

absolutely 100 percent legal and should stay legal. its private property like when you're recorded in bank, supermarket ext and can be shared with whoever the filming party deems fit

i would not want to be live streamed in a uber though

Attached: e95.png (165x115, 23K)

i wouldn't call it private property, the guy is providing a transportation service and that is on different terms from e.g. walking up to a store

What a shame. These streams are really entertaining to watch. All the fun things aren't allowed as usual.

I agree. Moved to Germany and can't even have a dashcam anymore.

>absolutely 100 percent legal
Did anyone claim that it wasn't?

>About a month ago, his camera captured a momentary view up a woman’s skirt as she slid across his back seat. It was then “clipped” by one of his viewers for later viewing. The clip was still online until Saturday, when Gargac’s entire channel disappeared.

You know what to do, laddos

>streaming passengers and not the street view
What a pleb. I could watch front view livestream all day. Comfy as fuck.

Only uncivilized countries like Russia have dashcams because of insurance scams

no just saying

no its absolutely privately owned and there for private property. the ride can end when ever the driver deems fit and you need to leave if you're told you need to leave

It is private property, just like a store you choose to enter as a customer, or a taxi you choose to enter as a customer.

>Jow Forums is all about protecting privacy
>but not when it comes to normies in an uber

I'm kind of surprised. You could perhaps argue that they lost all rights to privacy when they decided to use a service like Uber, but I suppose you could say the same for Google or Amazon.

What if cameras filmed everyone everywhere all the time?

yeah nah m8s, this is fucked up.

It's not that Germany doesn't have them but that they are illegal.

It was fun watching my own ride and occasional accidents caught on film.

He doesn't even warn people he's recording them, what a complete cunt. Hope he gets stabbed in a dark alley.

you're an idiot.
on private property people have to be notified that they are being recorded (i.e. a warning sign).

nope

g is about protecting privacy and personal property rights

Notice how the article starts with women instead OS persons or people.

On a serious note, this shouldn't be a problem to anyone here, your ISP, banks and most government are essentially doing the same.

I don't drink or act like a degenerate whore in public, so I think it will be a boring video of a guy watching the nothingness of the car ceiling.

Yes, I would be pissed if anyone filmed me without my knowledge and/or concent, even worse if they streamed/spread it to others. Who wouldn't?

HE LITERALLY DID NOTHING WRONG

HE SHOULD SUE AND HE WILL WIN BECAUSE IT'S NOT ILLEGAL!

It's not about property rights at this point. He violated the terms of service and got banned from various services. Nobody's taking away his car, you dipshits.

you are in public

>absolutely 100 percent legal
I'm pretty sure you have to notify those who you record, and aren't allowed to spread it.

Link to the gov's twitch channel please

depends on the state i believe.

here's an interesting one: my Garmin dashcam is the same as the EU version, but with a mic turned off. makes you think..

no one obviously cares about 'you' in particular, the question is whether this would be okay to do to a random person.

pretty sure you still need permission in most jurisdictions to record. think about all the shit call centers telling you that "this call will be monitored blah blah".

>HE SHOULD SUE AND HE WILL WIN BECAUSE IT'S NOT ILLEGAL!

But is it against the Terms and Conditions of the platforms that he was using?

Pretty sure a car isn't a public place.

the camera is in plain view

Attached: twdv3jrniezz.jpg (1218x1015, 212K)

Well this article sure sounds like it doesn't want it to be legal since it wants you freaking out and trowing a huge fit over it and they keep bringing up how legal and scary that is.

Personally I think it should just be a ToS violation to do it and not disclose that you're doing it to the passengers, and it should also be a ToS violation to not turn the camera off if they don't want it on. Sounds like it kinda is but they didn't quite explicitly forbid it.

Sue who? Sue for what? Sue that Uber and Lyft dropped him? He violated their terms of service. Sue Twitch? Same fucking thing.

There are one party and two party states, but this mostly applies to using recorded footage/calls as evidence in court. I think every state is a two party state when it comes to the copyright of recorded conversations.

kek, getting triggered by Mohamed streaming you is not very mature, anons.

it privately owned public property

its a uber open to the public on terms

just like a supermarket you are free to enter but on terms

Illegal? Maybe not.
Against TOS? Almost certainly. Uber and Twitch are private businesses and free speech doesn't really work there.

>the camera is in plain view
Also, spreading it.

Attached: pen spycam.jpg (525x515, 59K)

This is obviously unacceptable. What next? Cameras in buses and trains?!?!?!

>read first sentence "ok good maybe a tripfig redeemed himself"
>read last sentence "o it was ironic"

Attached: 1515435062025.png (215x235, 9K)

Did he state that the terms of riding his uber was to be recorded and broadcasted to the public?

there's a difference between recording for security, and recording to show it to thousands of mouth breathing 14 year olds on the internet.

We should definitely have hidden microphones and cameras in bars and nightclubs, too.

nope just like when you walk into walmart no one tells you that they will tell you to leave if they want to

so all the dash cam compilations where not for security?

I doubt Wallmart are spreading it(broadcasting it on Twitch) though, also they usually have pic related.

Attached: camera.jpg (300x300, 55K)

Can't trust a single fucker for anything these days

how do you know he didnt have a sign like that ?

what if something happens thats news worth in a walmart and its shown to millions on the news?

>All the while, an unseen online audience watches, evaluating women’s bodies, judging parents and mocking conversations.
BASED audience

he did mention that he records his passengers, he did not disclose that he's broadcasting said recordings.
you also don't really have a choice if your only options are to take this dude's cab or to wait for another for 20 minutes at 3 am.

>I doubt Wallmart are spreading it
That doesn't matter, it's still a risk. For example, not too long ago some people hacked some spa/massage place in the Netherlands and released tons of videos from their security cameras (which were installed all over the place, including the dressing rooms). As a result, plenty of their customers now have naked footage of themselves circulating across the web.

Having cameras everywhere is a risk in and of itself, regardless of whether they're operated by some scummy cab driver or some large company like Walmart.

>he did not disclose that he's broadcasting said recordings
That's the biggest problem, if he just recorded them most would probably see it as acceptable as a security measure.

look you chucklefuck. soon we will have the technology to record everyone everywhere at all times. the laws need to be reevaluated unless you want the drone footage of you jizzing on your anime dolls broadcasted on Twitch. better close that window pal.

>which were installed all over the place, including the dressing rooms
That's probably why most places avoids having cameras in such places. And I agree that it's a risk, it would be better to keep it locally to avoid hacks.

You sound like those retarded boomers yelling at kids for flying drones on the beach

>better close that window
tfw already paranoid enough to close the blinds when jerking off, even though I'm living high up with no surrounding buildings that have a view at my windows.

Accept the streaming aspect is illegal. There's a reason why shows have to get your signature to be on TV or why you need to agree to be recorded for anything to hold up in court

I don't see anything in Uber's Terms and Conditions that prohibits drivers from recording and/or streaming riders. Sounds like Uber should update their policies, otherwise a competitor will and they will heavily publicize Uber's lack of policy over what drivers are allowed to record. One could make an ad that shows an Uber driver having a hidden high resolution camera and taking photos up their female passengers' skirts.

>the streaming aspect is illegal
Depends. An Uber vehicle is not a public space, so you could argue that the owner of the vehicle has the right to record whatever he wants. But that's strictly for visuals. Different states have their own laws when it comes to audio recording which fall under wiretapping.

But it's also a security risk for passengers because they'd give their full names for verification and viewers could see where they're being driven around to, even to their homes. It's hilarious how Jow Forums is always about muh privacy but are apparently okay with their locations being secretly broadcast to a bunch of mouthbreathers on the internet.

theverge.com/2018/7/21/17598220/uber-lyft-driver-livestreamed-hundreds-of-riders-without-consent

"According to Missouri state law, Uber, and Lyft, Gargac is in the clear. Because he is not breaking one-party consent laws, the state can’t do anything about his recording of passengers without their permission"

Not illegal. Didn't have to give them warning. Personally I think it's wrong, in most other states and countries you need to clearly sign if someone is being recorded, but what he was doing wasn't illegal.
It was, however, against the companies' terms of services so they can rightly boot him off. Also, how would he think 1) people would be fine with being secretly streamed live on the internet and 2) that it was never going to get found out.
It's creepy as fuck and definitely crosses any ethical grey lines.

Jow Forums is always a bunch of two faced hypocrites when it comes to privacy. They want very strong privacy for themselves, but none when it comes to someone else.

This exactly.

Uh, it's like that simpsons episode where homer trashes his family while being drunk on a taxi that later airs on tv, kek.

>It was, however, against the companies' terms of services so they can rightly boot him off.

Your article specifically says that it's NOT against their terms

>Neither Uber or Lyft told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Gargac was breaking any of their terms, with both companies noting that drivers are responsible for following local laws. “Recording passengers without their consent is illegal in some states, but not Missouri,” Uber told the paper in a statement.

and slowly, the libertarian onions start to understand why regulation exists.

No need for regulation. Just add it to company terms and conditions if you want to prohibit recording. Otherwise the customer can use a competitor if they choose.

>would Jow Forums be pissed
No, all my Uber / Lyft rides go like:
>hey man, are you $driver
>yes, $user?
>yup. So you know the address?
>absolutely
>alright cool thanks
Than I put on my QC3s until destination and fuck around on my phone. Ezpz.

No, I don't, user. I've got no idea. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO, user!!

Well, servers and encoders where his shit went through are also private property so this happens, play stupid games win stupid prizes.

People are so weird with cameras. We're okay if it's a business recording you inside and outside the store, but if a singular individual is recording, it's a big no-no. I wish that camera guy from liveleak was still making videos. He would get under everyone's skin by just filming them saying basically nothing besides "It's just a video".

privacy goes both ways, we're not communists.

you can now

You twitchfags are fucking pathetic.

I always tried to do this but I don't have a dashcam and I live in a third world country.

Attached: 1528569832597.jpg (445x604, 35K)

There's several apps that allow you to use your phone as dashcam. I use DailyRoads Voyager.

I don't think anyone here is saying he doesn't have the right to RECORD them. Just that BROADCASTING that recording may be illegal.

>Just that BROADCASTING that recording may be illegal.
Quote me the law.

I don't even live in the US and I have no idea whether it actually is illegal or not. I'm just pointing out that the recording itself doesn't seem to be what people are trying to argue.