You can buy a i5-2500K and a 660 for under $120; what's the point of buying new?

You can buy a i5-2500K and a 660 for under $120; what's the point of buying new?

Attached: GTX 660.jpg (333x271, 12K)

The only valid reason for buying something new is if you are doing some (((deep learning))) or other fancy math shit which need loads of shit

because both of these would be downgrades from what I already have had for years

>You can buy a i5-2500K and a 660 for under $120

Where?

reddit.com/r/HardwareSwap

Because those are horribly outdated components?

Ebay

I5-2500k + gtx 660

Is similar to a current I5-7400 + GTX 1050 setup perfomance tho

The 1050 is a piece of shit and is still 14 percent faster.

>buying used hardware

>last gen hardware that is shit to begin with

Power consumption is terrible.
2nd hand motherboards are sketchy as fuck, also won’t have any new features such as USB3/NVMe/upgraded wireless.

>Being new
good goy

Nigga my mobo is almost a DECADE old and it has USB 3.

No. Unless in Murica you're just swimming in cheap hardware.

Most people on this board are in America

Hyper-threading?

I have gtx 660 and it struggles with newer games, even fortnite and overwatch hits 100% gpu usage easily and I have to always tweak/lower settings a lot to get stable framerates on other games.

On other hand I've had it since 2013 so it has lasted me an long time.

> not having a 8-core/16-thread CPU
> not having a 8GB HBM2 GPU

A 660 is worthless these days. Unless you want to play in 800x600.

The i5 is a completely outdated platform. I would not buy it anymore, there is zero reason to choose it over a cheap Ryzen build. Ryzen has all the new standards, is NEW with warranty and at least similarily powerful. Not that a 2500K needs 600 MHz more for the same performance.

lmfao. You can do easily do 1080p with it still

Even a 1050 has problems with 1080p. Maybe if you stick to the lowest settings, but who would want that?

Someone who values good performance over superficial graphics?

>not playing csgo in 800x600 with all graphics on low for maximum fps gains
you'll never make it

>a card is shit if it doesn't meet MY expectations
Can you imagine being you?

I was talking about modern gaming. It may match yours if you only run old shit. But if we talk about 2018 AAA gaymes they won't be playable well on acceptable resolution, detail level and framerate on a 2012 midrange card. Otherwise, you can get a R9 290 for 120 € nowadays. They will get even cheaper soon.

Anglo saxon faggot

>shell out for powerful hardware to play current AAA at high settings
>never play said games

this is what will happen. almost every game you really like will not need the hardware and then in a couple years you will feel like a fool when you see that same build going for half the price.

>corelet
>Kepler trash
no