Current state of Image File formats in 2018

It is 2018, why is internet still so cucked when it comes to images? JPEG sucks,

> why aren't there AVIF images used on internet and on image boards? all browsers support it! caniuse.com/#search=av1
> how come there's no documentation on how to compress to AVIF image file? AOMedia's reference encoder called 'aomenc' and ffmpeg only seem to allow you to encode videos and not still image.
> you can't easily create AVIF image files, however if you had them you could easily render them as there is wide support, wtf!
> HEIF, while it seems to be widely supported on iOS 11 and macOS 10.13, Photoshop, and GIMP, there's no support in any modern web browser nor there is any plans, wtf! you can easily create HEIF images, however you can't render them on the webs, wtf!
> WebP is dead. WebP doesn't compress well. It's twice the size of HEVC. Its code is based on legacy VP8. Even iOS 10 and macOS Sierra removed WebP support early on. No support in Firefox, only Chrome.

Attached: 1200px-AV1-logo.png (1200x554, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

people.xiph.org/~tdaede/av1stilldemo/
aomediacodec.github.io/av1-avif/
people.xiph.org/~tdaede/av1stilldemo
flif.info/lossy.html
streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Return-of-the-Codec-Wars-A-New-Hope-a-Streaming-Summer-Sequel-126339.aspx
github.com/xiph/rav1e
wyohknott.github.io/image-formats-comparison/#abandonned-factory&webm=t&ogv=t,
wyohknott.github.io/image-formats-comparison/#endeavour-with-columbia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wtf!

Jow Forums is lazy

hands off muh jpegs

>all browsers support it
>full page of red

currently FLIF is the only option to replace all images on web, since they can be on the fly created with javascript. Until something is fully supported (which will hopefully be av1) nothing will replace jpeg or png

This is my first time hearing about AV1.

AV1 looks like fucking shit compared to jpg

people.xiph.org/~tdaede/av1stilldemo/

Patents.
Ain't no one want to maintain a new third party dependency for a format no one uses.

You like JPEG because JPEG artifacts add fake detail, like a film grain filter.

Objectively and subjectively wrong

When will 4chin stop reverting my mozjpegs?

aomediacodec.github.io/av1-avif/

It's still just a DRAFT, the standard isn't finished yet, no one will adopt something that can change and be incompatible with the final spec

> It is 2018, why is internet still so cucked when it comes to images? JPEG sucks,
There have been better image formats than jpg for decades. They just never got adopted.

>people.xiph.org/~tdaede/av1stilldemo
everything except original image looks like SHIT

AV1 was not finalised as a format till june (although they lied it was back in like march), so don't be surprised it can't be realistically used

I love FLIF's loss option.
flif.info/lossy.html
Imagine if you could edit JPEGs without losing quality every time.

>reverting my mozjpegs
What?

yea, too bad jpeg was invented before god was

OH LOOK ITS THE AV1 THREAD

>S O O N (TM)
IE NEVER EVER

LMAO

>tfw JPEG2000 looked subjectively worse
I am glad it didn't get adopted.

> why aren't there AVIF images used on internet and on image boards?
I wouldn't mind this either, but your very linkage shows a whole lot of browsers don't support it...

Attached: fucking killjoys.png (1294x519, 48K)

>fell for the av1 meme
>try to encode some video
>1FPS
Fuck this shit.

JPEG2000 never got adopted because of the patent issue

Same with HEVC not getting adopted

streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Return-of-the-Codec-Wars-A-New-Hope-a-Streaming-Summer-Sequel-126339.aspx

>he Q&A section of the Velos Media pool steadfastly refuses to clarify the pool’s intent, instead stating, “As it relates to content, we will take our time to fully understand the dynamics of the ecosystem and ensure that our model best supports the advancement and adoption of HEVC technology.”

>HEVC is more than 5 years old, and royalties have been a well-publicized hindrance since the start. It seems clear that if the Velos pool didn’t intend to charge content-related royalties, it would have disclosed this. Since they haven’t, many producers presume that the pool will impose content royalties. This, plus the many HEVC IP owners not yet in a pool who have also not stated their intentions regarding content royalties, has been a significant concern for many potential users.

HEVC is still dead on arrival

This is the new "Java is slow".

>why is internet still so cucked when it comes to images?
Because no one fucking cares about a little bit of compression.

>tfw studied under a Professor that is a key player in HEVC
>he was always super enthusiastic about it
>tfw it will completely bomb

poor guy

Attached: 1502626984383.png (619x453, 46K)

hardcore acceleration

HEVC HARDWARE DECODE IS BUILT INTO MILLIONS OF DEPLOYED DEVICES FOR YEARS AND YEARS

AV1 IS NOWHERE NEAR GETTING AN INSTALLED USERBASE, IT'LL STILL BE SOOOON IN 2020 FOR AV1

The outcome was obvious from the beginning. Always side with the capitalists.

>HEVC HARDWARE DECODE IS BUILT INTO MILLIONS OF DEPLOYED DEVICES FOR YEARS AND YEARS
Which profiles? HEVC is like a million little pieces, you have to buy each one separately. No one buys them all.

Are there even non-experimental encoders yet?

The reference codebase isn't experimental anymore. Other than that, no-- there are at least three funded groups in active development tho.

[and by funded groups, I'm talking about relatively transparent development. Of course just about every media company out there with some codec footprint is actively developing as well, and has been for about two years.]

>AVIF
Bad acronym, too close to .avi and gives a "whiff".

Attached: 2655e3acc33733c02bc9105ab908d2ad077bf3051b0462163418019af245f8ff.jpg (679x960, 211K)

JPEG doesn't suck; it's supported by literally everything. just like MP3 doesn't suck just because Opus exists. though it would be good to transition away from anything proprietary/royalty/patented, there need to be not only clear quality/filesize/performance improvements, but a strong push for these formats from key players in the industry. the fact iOS, macOS and Photoshop supports it is a very good thing, but it's still not enough.

you are fucking blind. if those AV1 and JPEG are the same size, it's a massive improvement. sure, the grain isn't there, but look at how smooth the dark area is and how sharp the edges are.

it's a neat idea though i can't think of why that would be an issue worth adopting a new format for. most people who actually give a fuck about loss of quality use RAW or PNG. if such a feature can be included in AV1, then i'm sure nobody would object to it.

Daala's supposedly already the best dealing with still images.
Perhaps it'd make sense to use it that way, while using it for video still needs serious work.

MAIN AND INCREASINGLY MAIN10, ABSOLUTELY MILLIONS OF DEVICES

SEE YOU IN 2025 AV1 LMAO

>why aren't there AVIF images used on internet and on image boards? all browsers support it!
>literally not one fucking browser supports it BY DEFAULT, you have to manually enable it in Firefox and Chrome

OP how do you remember to breathe every day?

nigga what, AV1 isn't a container

>MAIN AND INCREASINGLY MAIN10
OK
>ABSOLUTELY MILLIONS OF DEVICES
Only millions? So, like, 1 out of every 1000 devices?

Easy on the cruise control, user.

github.com/xiph/rav1e

>look at how smooth the dark area is and how sharp the edges are
It's an improvement on average, but the loss of color in pic related sucks. It looks so clean that it's misleading: you don't think there is a lot missing.

Attached: abandoned factory window.png (229x98, 34K)

Global usage: 0.03%

>Daala
Comparing it on wyohknott.github.io/image-formats-comparison/#abandonned-factory&webm=t&ogv=t, I'm not sure it's better than AV1.

You don't need more than PNG, a great format. The question is, why people use JPG instead of PNG?

Attached: 1491066009008.png (446x520, 145K)

The JPEG version actually makes the blue shades stand out more than they do in the original.

High-res photos.

This. FLIF is magical.

Thanks for the link, but
>rav1e is an experimental AV1 video encoder

I should have explained my link. It is experimental, but at the moment I think it's the most practical encoder. Still slow (single-digit FPS), but usable.

As far as MP3 goes, the patent lapsed not too long ago and now it's public domain.

Look at the Endeavor and Columbia picture.

??

I think their JPEG encoder is fucked. The OpenJPEG version looks version much nicer at wyohknott.github.io/image-formats-comparison/#endeavour-with-columbia than there.

Attached: wtf mozjpeg.png (1140x828, 544K)

Very nice, do you know the JPG quality used?

>wants to advertise png
>doesn't even optimize his image

Attached: ect.png (446x520, 109K)

git gud

Attached: 1532352589635.png (446x520, 43K)

That's lossy.

png provides great compression for pics with lots of pixel of exact same color. Not so much with gradients.
>1bit can be used for color value of all pixels that same color.

Yes, plus alpha channel for transparency