/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: Ted_Blanchett.png (700x506, 363K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Resizing_LVM-on-LUKS
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Resizing_LVM-on-LUKS#Enlarge_LVM_on_LUKS
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Set_the_default_sound_card)
superuser.com/questions/626606/how-to-make-alsa-pick-a-preferred-sound-device-automatically#630048)
youtube.com/watch?v=EK-KOGh4cOI
github.com/nvbn/thefuck
devever.net/~hl/intelme
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nth for just installed i3
it's all uphill from here lads.

Install GuixSD

please identify the font being used to edit GNU Bash conf with GNU MC on GNU/Linux

Attached: adventure_mc-fileviewer.png (736x448, 64K)

Which is better?

Anarchy, Antergos or Manjaro?

Anarchy.

>linux politics
consolas?

Hack and source code pro look similar. Dotted 0 are degenarate though.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Resizing_LVM-on-LUKS

more specifically wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Resizing_LVM-on-LUKS#Enlarge_LVM_on_LUKS
cryptsetup open /dev/sda5 CryptDisk
pvresize /dev/mapper/CryptDisk
lvresize -l 100%FREE #assuming this works idk
resize2fs -p /dev/CryptVolumeGroup/Home $size
also, don't use DD use cp or cat to copy your disk. dd is too dumb

I'm relapsing back into an arch ricing phase again

Attached: 1532244498384.jpg (1080x1080, 59K)

install gentoo
stop ricing, start compiling!

Attached: moo3.png (640x360, 188K)

linus is a carnal

How to reinstall boot loader from localhost?

>How to reinstall boot loader from localhost?
which bootloader?
gpt/efi or mbr?
what is localhost? you mean current machine? how can you boot the current machine if the bootloader doesn't work? do you need to mount it with a live environment and run the commands?

Laptop won't recognize or boot into USBs.
Good luck with this one

you need to go into boot settings of your device's firmware or BIOS to change boot order or select which device to boot from. you may need to disable features like secure boot

Manjaro. Manjaro is better than Arch itself.

im writing a linux kernel module for an undocumented USB device.
problem is, the usbhid(hid-generic) keeps claiming the device for me before my kernel module gets to register it.

even when i edit udev rules to stop it, hid-generic keeps claiming it.

how do i write my kernel module in such a way to stop usbhid from claiming or how do i stop it from claiming this particular device's vendor:device id

use a kernel parameter to assign your module to it

I have only USB selected and it says "No bootable devices found."

Do you guys like my desktop? Look at my custom pepe start menu icon. Haha!! So cute.

Attached: Screenshot.png (1366x768, 503K)

Nobody itt has any idea about linux, sorry.

no

this can't just be what everyone does.

if someone wants to use my driver i cant just ask everyone to add a kernel parameter.
something that scales would be better as i am writing a kernel module not just for myself.

>two lines for PS1
>hostname in PS1 on GUI
why

I don't have a PS1 emulator installed, what are you talking about? I'm new here.

How do I set the priority order of my sound cards?

[paddy@T440 ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf0630000 irq 50
1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xf0634000 irq 49
2 [v12 ]: USB-Audio - SABAJ DA3 v1.2
SABAJ SABAJ DA3 v1.2 at usb-0000:00:14.0-1.1, high speed
3 [AK5370 ]: USB-Audio - AK5370
AKM AK5370 at usb-0000:00:14.0-1.3, full speed
[paddy@T440 ~]$ cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_hda_intel
2 snd_usb_audio
3 snd_usb_audio

On the arch wiki (wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Set_the_default_sound_card) and stackexchange (superuser.com/questions/626606/how-to-make-alsa-pick-a-preferred-sound-device-automatically#630048) it says to add:

options snd_hda_intel enable=1 index=0

options snd_hda_intel enable=0 index=1

From my output I have two cards that are snd_hda_intel and two cards that are snd_usb_audio. I want the default to be the Sabaj then the laptop speakers (I'm guessing HDA Intel PCH) and then HDMI last (AKM is usb mic).

in options snd_hda_intel enable=1 index=0

options snd_hda_intel enable=0 index=1
what differentiates each sound card?

look at how other modules, ones not included in the linux kernel, are written? zfs?

What are some cool terminal commands?

Attached: 1532320793041.jpg (850x400, 45K)

How do you reinstall a Windows boot loader from localhost when the computer is disconnected and it cannot sense USB's?

I installed Gentoo a few weeks back and it's gone pretty well, but every time I use emerge I feel I'm fucking everything up.
>emerge -a foo
>has a fuck ton of use flags disabled
>want some of them enabled but not permanently
>sometimes modify make.conf to set the use flags per package
>sometimes set them temporarily inside the shell
>hit confirm to install the package
>2 billion .zz-autounmask files to be updated in /etc/portage
>just overwrite them all to get things going
>package compiles and runs with no issues
Am I making a huge fucking mess for myself? Will the temporary use flags I set get unset when the package is updated? Does clobbering the autounmask files result in side effects?

Attached: 1531863301818.png (500x280, 177K)

I blame it on post-Windows 8 hardware, even though the computer came with Windows 7 Pro.

>Dotted 0 are degenarate though.
how tf you differentiate between 0 and O?

lvresize gets stuck on Insufficient free space: 3840 extents needed, but only 0 available
even though I ran pvresize and it said 1 volume expanded
I'm at a loss here

Slashed ofc.

:(){ :|:& };:

You(){ You|You & };You

More like
>I wrote a fucking kernel. Stallman has not finished his kernel yet and suffers humiliation from Linus.

>he doesn't know terry quotes
Found the atheist.

>ohshitniggerwhatareyoudoing.jpg
make.conf is ONLY for global use flags. You set per-package use flags in /etc/portage/package.use
custom masks go in /etc/portage/package.mask
and keyword overrides in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords

Yes all the current use flags you've set will get reverted the next time they're updated because portage thinks you're changing the global setting, and that's probably also why you've been needing so much autounmask shit.
Just start doing it correctly from now on.

>tfw spent 2 years memeing around with meme distros constantly troubleshooting meme problems I was creating for myself
>finally just stopped giving a fuck and went with debian testing + stock i3 about 6 months ago
>zero issues ever since
>can focus completely on my anime backlog instead

feels good

Attached: yaya.gif (500x589, 605K)

memes are relative

yes, yes, yes

Attached: 1480663043631.jpg (1920x1080, 107K)

youtube.com/watch?v=EK-KOGh4cOI

>and their gaylord leader Mr. Torvald's
every time

Attached: 1410201835970.gif (615x413, 1.97M)

XFCE and KDE seem to be the only DEs that make it easy to adjust volume increments (I prefer to raise/lower by 1%). I can't figure out how to do it on Gnome, Mate or Cinnamon.

Just make some amixer keybinds.

If you use pulseaudio

>pactl set-sink-volume 0 +1%
>pactl set-sink-volume 0 -1%

Bind those two commands to keyboard shortcuts. Also for a mute toggle

>pactl set-sink-mute 0 toggle

Didnt know if this should be in SQT, DPT, or FGLT but Im guessing here because I think you all might be able to help more so sorry if it is wrong.

I am trying to connect a mouse and keyboard to a teensy lc (arduino type board) for as little money as possible. Getting a usb host adapter for it is around $25 and not made for the teensy's form factor so I looked for another solution. I thought I could fairly easily write up a java program to capture mouse and keyboard stuff and send it over a serial adapter to the teensy but that would be a pain needing to have a computer and serial adapter in the middle. Finally I came to another solution. I have a RPi Zero W that I dont use that I could use with an otg hub to connect the mouse and keyboard and it can be wired to send the data directly to the teensy over serial.

Where should I go to get started with such a project? I assume it will have to be some sort of graphical program since I need to capture mouse as well but I wish thats not the case. What language will it have to be? Id prefer to shell script over making a full blown program or something.

Mostly looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

>I assume it will have to be some sort of graphical program since I need to capture mouse as well
that's cute

to avoid a potential X/Y problem, can you explain why you need a keyboard and mouse on a teensy?
because mouse+kb > rpi zero > teensy sounds like it's probably not the best solution
for example, what are you using the teensy for that the zero can't?

How can I take my Debian to default? (in term of packages and services)
I have an old laptop with Debian (lxde) and I want to leave it as a server, but have bots running and other services (I don't remember how many things and services I installed).
I just want a Debian, with a lxde enviroment... just that, like a new flesh install (of course, without crash my wifi driver...installing that thing was hard.. I don't remember how I did it)

Attached: DidWu-IVAAEFIbO.jpg (720x960, 84K)

just install stretch?
or a headless BSD

USB emulation. Essentially as a project to get better at programming and electronics my friend had the idea to try to make an adapter to use mouse and keyboard on xbox as a controller. Teensy can emulate a controller nicely so I thought itd be a fun hobby type thing to do.
>to avoid a potential X/Y problem
What to you mean by this? If it is pointer location that isnt really what I am trying to get from the mouse, more like movement. I know how to handle the data if I can just get the mouse movement data (as well as clicks and maybe scroll) to the teensy. I already got it kinda got it working by hard wiring a shit old ps2 mouse to it and all I was able to get was mouse movement and clicks. I want to be able to use usb ports tho so I can use any mouse and keyboard and not just the shit ps2 ones I have collecting dust.

Care to explain? Id prefer if it was just a script I could run in terminal but from the little Ive googled (dont know where to start) you have to have x running to be able to get mouse movements.

Recommend me a PDF viewer, please.
I'm currently using Zathura-mupdf, but it lacks the ability to change fonts in the document.
I'd like something similar (meaning that I can recolor the document, control it from the keyboard and have two-page view), but in which I can change the main document font.

Attached: zft2hxztop111.jpg (750x750, 48K)

How do i add git integration in to zsh without using that cancer oh-my-zsh bloat?

Great tool for monday mornings
github.com/nvbn/thefuck

I have created an lvm snapshot some time ago and when i now tried to remove it with lvremove, it fails with
>Logical volume main/Poop in use.
I checked and the volume is not mounted, so what the shit is going on?

>it lacks the ability to change fonts in the document.
that would defeat the purpose of PDF though

>that would defeat the purpose of PDF though
Partially, yeah. But there is one fuck whose research papers use some obscure fonts that he didn't embed. I need to set my own ones instead.

fair enough, specifying a font and not embedding it also defeats the purpose of PDF, so they're already broken

zsh correction is less cancer than that

What is the best distro for gayming on ryzen 2400g

Doesn't using a backup of / cause issues when switching distro and/or upgrading to a newer version? When talking about Windows you would never just copy system files or personal settings to a new OS yet under GNU/Linux it is always recommended and seems to be standard. Why?

I guess it's a bit less prone to errors if you skip customizations (hidden .folders?) but I still worry about it messing stuff up due to compatibility issues. As you probably notice I've never been on a single distro long enough for me to have gone through the update procedure and the answer might be obvious to more experienced users but I would really appreciate a simple explanation as to why it doesn't cause breakage and how it differs from a Windows perspective.

Thanks

debian, arch or something minimal like them.
arch wiki has a really good GPU passthrough guide as well.

Nigga, that font is set by your terminal.
Anyway, it's Ubuntu Mono.

anyone try Liri OS?

Trying to use antigen or zplug.
I have the .zsh file sourced in .zshrc but when i go to use it, it dosent return anything to stdout.No switches function either. Even sourcing it in the terminal direction does not allow for the programs to be run.
What could cause this? I've checked the permissions and they are fine.

why is gnome shit so fucking bloated?
>want to try out one program
>have to pull in 500MB of shit just to run it
jesus christ.

I can't SSH/ping my server unless it has a keyboard plugged in, how to fix?
boot with kb: ssh works, can ping machine
boot without kb: ssh gives "Resource temporary unavailable", cannot ping
Ubuntu 18.04

>Using Arch as daily driver since 2012
>New pc, need something less time consuming and that gets the job done for my freelancing (full stack dev, and virtual machines)
>Cannot be too stable/outdated cause it's a ryzen 2600x and a gtx 1080 (yeah gaymen windows partition aswell)
>3 monitor configuration
I was thinking kde would be the best bet, not requiring hours and hours of config. Could you guys give me tips on the distro (and DE eventually)? I also have old dotfiles of i3 with multimonitor scripts but I'd prefer something more standard, I won't use it to fuck around.

that's the one

no u

$ cat ~/.Xdefaults |grep font
URxvt*font: xft:iosevka:pixelsize=26

u mad?

Attached: iosevka.png (3600x2056, 356K)

I also would like a DE that can actually fucking do multi-monitors without shitting out.

& could do with more distinction from 8, and capital M looks too squeezed, but otherwise it's good
I especially like the Slab variant

I have a bluetooth audio reciever that goes into standby after 10 minutes. Is there a way for me to somehow change that?
It's just a simple device with only 1 button to turn it on. Here's what bluetoothctl says about it:

Device 00:75:58:BC:8B:08 (public)
Name: RT-B6
Alias: RT-B6
Class: 0x00240404
Icon: audio-card
Paired: yes
Trusted: yes
Blocked: no
Connected: yes
LegacyPairing: no
UUID: Audio Sink (0000110b-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
UUID: Advanced Audio Distribu.. (0000110d-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
UUID: A/V Remote Control (0000110e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
UUID: Handsfree (0000111e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)

Can I somehow toggle it on remotely, so I don't have to always stand up and turn it on when I want to listen to music?

which variant of ubuntu is the nicest in terms of aesthetics?

What a fucking retarded subjective question. Not even going to mention that there are a handful of Ubuntu flavors which you could look at and decide for yourself.

ubuntu server

How do I add a line to rifle so it opens images with irfanview from ranger?
mime ^image, has wine, X, flag f = "wine /path/to/program.exe" -Z "$@"

Go the the oh-my-zsh github site, check source -> plugins -> and look how it's done.

Most stuff also works on bash, so if anyone is bored and wants to steal some more or less useful aliases, just copy paste from om-my-zsh.

Install Windows again, you pretentious retard.

Well, this was a depressing read. devever.net/~hl/intelme

>The ME firmware includes functionality relating to the system boot process, but also things like DRM functionality. It also supports remote management functionality (including an HTTP server, even) targeted at enterprise IT;
ggnore botnet

That's just the tip of the iceberg. These chip systems are much more powerful. Read this for full nightmare mode:
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd
libreboot.org/faq.html#intel

So it doesn't matter if you buy Intel or AMD, right?
Are thee any computers without that crap? I don't care about ultra hd bluray memes.

maybe arm, since it's a little better about freedumbs, but have fun running anything well.

How shit are the closed source Nvidia drivers these days? I've been a AMD fag for years and last time I checked the drivers were very buggy.

About three fiddy.

theyre bretty gud these days.
they're a must if you want to do any tiny amount of gaymen as well since nouveau is awful.

pig disgusting

Nice brainlet fanboi response. Upboated.

Please go back to the reddit.

no u

why the fuck do i keep getting this error:
E: Unable to locate package openfoam5
?

vrms -s | xargs sudo apt-get purge

Attached: 1532327195360.gif (200x234, 2.85M)

It means you're retarded. You whole post proves that. Consider dropping all computers.

Just install Arch.