/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: tpg.png (600x600, 278K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5bjekhIII
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I spilt tea on my t420 and now my touchpad buttons aren't working

Just got given a t400 with no charger for free

After buying a new charger what should I do to make it the best t400 it can be?

2x4gb ddr3 ram
ssd
upgrade processor to x9100
upgrade screen to 1440x900
get a 9-cell battery

libreboot, max ram, ssd & fsf approved gnu/linux for starters

When does Lenovo usually do their back to school sales?

Looking at an x40, for $40. Is it a steal or what? What am I in for with this?

It's pretty old but i'd buy it anyway.

Would it have any good functionality for a cs student?

Don't think so, it's a 2005 laptop with a low voltage pentium M cpu, pata hdd and 1.5gb or so max RAM.
I'd still buy it for meme purposes.

Ah I gotcha. How about a t520 for 90 with no hdd?

sure, you want to use an ssd anyway
then maybe upgrade the cpu or the screen to FHD

Cool. Thanks bud.

updated my x230 to 4.16.18 kernel

now my display is properly bright. it was a chink IPS display replacement. i guess the proper drivers were loaded. before the brightest was ~50% of what it is now.

good shit linus

Post your thinkpad screenfetches/
speccy/whatever fgts

How did you do that? And where did you get your screen?

Unusable for any sort of real work but cool nonetheless.

what do you mean?

I updated my linux kernel from 4.15.* to 4.16.18

Display was from AliExpress

I have a t60 without a charger being shipped to me, Will i be able to use an x220 charger with it?

Tried to keep my shitter from highschool, to use in college, it isn't really cutting it. What would you guys recommend, budget if 500 dollars, what model specifically

around that era every charger was the same across every lenovo line, im using the charger for a fucking lenovo 3000 N100 in my t60

what about a T430u? pretty portable yet still somewhat upgrade-able, and you wont look ridiculous carrying around an inch thick core 2 duo shitbox.

is x220 worth it or is it just a meme?

Should I?
Anyone have experience to share with the x200s?

Attached: thinkpad.jpg (717x552, 31K)

Oh well user it works

How difficult is it installing the Ivy Bridge quad core on the t420? Would it be smarter to just go with a Sandy Bridge one if I don't have any soldering experience or experience with flashing bios?

>lattitudes
>fan header loops through midframe
>WLAN used as structural support to hold mobo to midframe
>welcome

N O P E

>15" T60 finally appeared on local auction site
Wish me luck. It's pretty damn rare here and I hope I'll get it under $60. Unless it has the XGA display, I have yet to check.

I think the Thinkpad computers look really cool but every shitty, normie noobgrammer at my uni has one now so i don't wanna get one myself because i don't want to be associated with them.

How do I find out the specific model of a Thinkpad? I see that it's 2007-CTO, but it seems I need a more specific code (3 more characters?) but I don't know where to get these from.

I mean the codes from maintenance manual.
>2007-CTO, 37x, 38x, 39x, 56x, 57x, 59x, 5Ax, 5Cx, 5Dx, 5Ex, 5Fx, 5Gx, 5Jx, 5Kx, 5Lx, 5Mx, 5Ux, 5Vx, 5Wx, 5Xx, 7Cx, 7Lx, 7Vx, B2x, B3x, J2x, J4x, J5x

I've been using mine as a programming laptop running debian. Linux runs smooth and cool, but I'd expect to have cooling if I were using windows. Screen res is a bit on the small end but sufficient. TN panel is workable but get the IPS if you can.
Best thing about it is the keyboard, portability, and upgradeability. You can strip this thing to scrap metal and rebuild itwith just a screwdriver. It's super light and well-constructed. Battery is a bit of a weak point though, as mine only lasts about 3 hours.

Hi, considering my dell latitude 630 broke for the 4th time and I really dont want to replace the motherboard again, I would really appreciate some advice on a better laptop without an nvidia chip that kills itself every 6 months.

I use a laptop to record music with a USB interface and wouldn't mind being able to play lighter games on it if need be. 13 inch screen is best screen. I would also really like at least a 5 hour battery charge without a bulky xl battery.

Thank you in advance, whoever answers

What's your budget?

Oh, sorry! sub 500ish bucks with all mods considered?

how is this a problem

Best budget thinkpad with access to 1080p IPS display?

T420

T430

>

what are some "necessary" ways of ricing out a t420?

>ricing
>necessary
wget gentoo

Install gentoo

Do I need 16GB ram?

You need 32gb of ram.

My x230 can only have 16

Then install 64

how can effectively cool down a thinkpad that's mainly on a ultrabase?
the CPU was at 99°C yesterday while copying 15GB

Is the T20 good for 98/DOS games?

Thickbads are poorly designed, overheating throttling pieces of shit.
Buy Dell Precision instead.

I'm currently at work, on a 2011 MacBook Pro with 25°C room temperature, the thinkpad is a snowman compared to this

I'm checking out a T540p on ebay

Anybody have any personal experience with one. How is it?

Finally joining the thinkpad cool dudes after seeing a t530 in great condition, from a fairly reputable seller, going for €300 including postage and everything.
Has the nvidia chip and one of the i7s (not sure which one yet) and can't wait to feel it in my hands properly. She will be my baby.

nice

backlit keyboard or nah?

What model/CPU, and how old is the thermal paste?

Yep, backlit and Bluetooth too. Not too bothered about the graphics card for vidya, as my occasional return to the original Deus Ex would be easily handled with the integrated, but definitely could be a bonus to VMs.
Not sure about resolution yet, but a screen is easy enough to upgrade if it's terrible.

finally installed a ssd on my x220, damn he's fast

T420 with i5, guess it's the original thermal still

Would a Notebook cooler help also besides reapplying thermal paste? Or wouldn't it make much of an effect because of the Ultrabase?

>tfw get a corporate discount on lenovo's website

Attached: 1502560196513.jpg (2000x1600, 172K)

You might be better off putting a case fan right next to the exhaust and help speed up the exhaust air away from it

7 years on the same paste is a long time

WHERE'S CONFIGURE TO ORDER FOR THE P52?!

Attached: madtodd.jpg (1280x1296, 121K)

Got wasted last night and apparently stumbled on something so repulsive on the internet that my only response could be to rage on my x200. Woke up covered in my own blood and without a comp. No idea wtf happened

;(

Attached: 20180723_120000.jpg (4032x3024, 3.35M)

Gonna kms

Attached: 20180723_120147.jpg (4032x3024, 3.62M)

Buy new laptop, or old but refurbished?

15"+ lenovo with numpad and 2700u @ 25w fucking when?!?!?!

Literal manchild shit.

No kidding. Time to stop drinking

You have mental issues, no joke. The alcohol didn't cause this. Get yourself checked out.

Will do. Thanks bud

Amazing build quality

Jow Forums told me to buy a thinkpad cause they're indestructible but it couldn't even make it through one night of drinking and rage posting. Fuck this website you goddamn niggers!!!!!!

warp speed, don't rainbow read me, nigger.

Now imagine if you've bought a macbook instead

It would cost him several hundred more dollars to fix.

Attached: x200.png (818x180, 78K)

Sold my MacBook Pro after that shitty keyboard failed for the 3th time and ordered a brand new T480 with i7 and 1440p screen.

Should never have sold my old Thinkpad to begin with.

Attached: 1525569058684.jpg (1500x1061, 576K)

>T440p
>Fhd panel
>8gb ram
>I7 4700mq
>Gt730m
>256gb SSD
>$400
Yay or nay. Will be taking notes and ocassionaly rendering some videos.

Attached: macbook-table-handson-hero.jpg (800x604, 115K)

alcohol is degenerate

Protip: Alcohol doesn't make you do anything you don't want to.

Anyone who does fucked up shit while drunk is fucked up as a person. Normal people don't act like animals when drunk.

guess all the people i have to babysit are fucking animals then

Attached: 1530901814163.jpg (862x720, 122K)

Why is it that every person that I have ever met who has been into music has also been fucking crazy?

More emotional people are more into creative hobbies that out their emotions. Emotional people are also more likely to be crazy.

Yes, alcohol just gives people a weak excuse to act like the total shitbags they really are.

Are new thinkpads worth it? Say a t480?
My job gave me a 1000$ for a laptop. Can't buy used or a pc.

yea makes sense

I use a 600E, Pentium II 256mb RAM.

Unless the T20 has 3d graphics I would pass.

T420 is a 2nd-gen i5, should be 2520m

I had one in my E6520 and it rarely got above 50c, you have some other issues going on that need to be addressed. Clean the dust out of the cooling fan and heatsink and re-do thermal paste.

Does it run Quake?

I recently bought a x270, and it's been nice.

>not getting thinkpad on ebay

I don't know about you, but whenever I've gotten drunk, my mentality never changed. Sure I felt some physical effects like slurring words and so on, but I was still the same person. I wasn't suddenly willing to do shit that I don't want to do sober. So I'm convinced that anyone who makes a fool of themselves while "drunk" always wanted to do that, they just never had an excuse.

Probably not the 600E doesn't have 3d graphics.

T20 should work the S3 Savage chipset was 3D, the T30 has a Mobility 7500 if you can find 98 drivers for that model I would go for that, it has 16mb graphics memory and a 7500 would have been on par with an early Geforce which puts it in Windows 98 territory.

If you can find a Dell Latitude c610 I have been using one of those for 98 3d accelerated gaymen, it had a Mobility Radeon chipset and Pentium 3 support to 1.2ghz Tualatin.

yea i get you, dont really notice any changes myself (apart from the obvious). Guess people are just shitbags, using alcohol to do dumb shit with little consequences

A Lenovo rep told me, last week, that the A485 will release on July 24th.
Looks like we'll see if he was lying or not pretty soon.

Is she /ourgirl/?
youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5bjekhIII

Buy old, maybe bricked, and refurbish it yourself.

August? Gotta be before September.

Please be true. I will buy the A84 specced out the second someone does a comprehensive review on it so I can make sure there are no major flaws.

Same, but I really doubt there'll be anything wrong with it.
Obviously the screen is the same shitty screen as the FHD T480 and the NIC is the same as the E480/E485, which is good, but not great (Intel's are great).

I really doubt anything else is wrong with it. There's always a chance it could come with the same shitty SSDs that ship with the E480, but that's at least replacable. I can't imagine the RAM being bad, it's fucking RAM.
The only other thing that could possibly be wrong with it, realistically speaking, it bad thermals, but I haven't heard anything about Ryzen mobile APUs having worse thermals than Kaby Lake mobile APUs.