Future of windows

I know Microsoft said, that Windows 10, will be the last version of Windows, but I don't think that will be the case. I'm curious to see what you guys think?

Attached: Windows_1.0_logo.jpg (500x200, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/what-is-microsofts-polaris-project/
archive.fo/IPL34).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They will probably release an NT compatible OS in the next five years or so. I am guessing it will be something like fuchsia: very locked down, run on smartphones and tablets, has a store, ..etc

no shit it wont be the last
windows has the monopoly on compatibility
time over innovation will require a new os eventually.
windows 10 definitely will not be the last.

Attached: 1526921981769.jpg (711x711, 67K)

I don't know exactly what Microsoft will do in the next five years or so, I only know that it only gets worse.

you dont know shit, fuck off

The future is them dropping Win32. Read up on Project Polaris. You can start with zdnet.com/article/what-is-microsofts-polaris-project/ (archive.fo/IPL34). They'll probably keep the same version number.

They'll drop "10" and just call it windows, version number is irrelevant to the general user. Nobody says the version number of MacOS or Linux distros.

>expecting microsoft to do this
>2011

They already did. It's called windows 10 S

i want windows to die

So that ReactOS may live.

Windows 10 is the last windows period. They will probably make a newer OS in the future but it won't be called Windows.

I assume they will continue updating Windows 10 (rebranded to just Windows once 7/8 dies), i.e. copy what Apple (and Google) does with their OS'es.

This

It won't, but they're turning it into a service that gets constant updates.

Eventually you'll get something like a minor update that turns Windows 10 into something like just "Windows" and they'll keep doing this shit. They'll perhaps add minor features every year, change how the desktop looks a little bit every now and then and call it a day.

It seems more likely that Win32 would be relegated to some kind of Wine-like layer, similar to WSL (although better integrated with the desktop we hope). There's just so much legacy code for Win32 that companies can't drop, and that's a big part of Windows dominance in the market.

MS will eventually bakrupt.

dubs of truth

They won't. They're the intel of software. If they're ever in trouble (((they))) will bail M$ out.

As much as MS dosn't like is, Windows IS Win32

this.
once win32 is completely delegated as a second class citizen inside windows, there will be no need for the compatibility machine that windows once was anymore

On a long-enough timeline, sure.

No it would end up like Enron in short time.

>make final windows version
>remove all unnecessary shit
>yearly charge for licenses 30€
>?
>profit

Also fire three thirds of your windows software engineers because not needed.

>Nobody says the version number of MacOS or Linux distros.
OSX, Ubuntu 18.04, Debian 9, Fedora 29