Do you listen to shortwave radio, Jow Forums?

Do you listen to shortwave radio, Jow Forums?

Attached: a88d9ed0d4b84fe783259af922820303.jpg (1536x1152, 626K)

Other urls found in this thread:

emeraldsdr.ddns.net:8073/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Admit it, you got into it because of Reviewbrah didn't you

yep

Actually, I didn't know who that guy was until I looked for information *after* buying some radios.

I do. Through an rtl-sdr with an upconverter and a shitty random wire antenna. I live in New England and have received transmissions on 40 meters from as far away as Latvia and Ukraine.It's pretty fun.

No. But I always thought it was neat, like digital watches.

No. What is the point?

nothing good in English, so no.

All the stations I get decent signal from are Jesus talk 24/7 or Alex Jones repeats

Can't even get Chinese or Cuban propaganda stations

It sucks

Here in Europe you get China Radio International practically all day, in English and other languages. Being near Africa also helps (t. Spaniard).

I use it to listen to reviewbrah

Sure do.

I got into it when my dad got me a county comm portable radio when I turned 21. Listen to Cuba propaganda and their numbers station mostly. Got myself a tecsun 660, county comm’s gp5 ssb, and a gundig satillelit 750. Haven’t really got into desktop radios/dedicated stations with an outside antenna because I move a lot.

wait what the fuck reviewbrah is on shortwave? I thought all i could get are religious nuts, conspiracy theorists and government propoganda

LISTEN WITH THE SQUELCH UP LATE AT NIGHT ITS /x/ AS FUCK

ALSO CONET IS TOP SPOOP

Attached: wpid-pic20140505135220.jpg (600x600, 70K)

I got the same radio from the same place.

Attached: 5star.png (351x440, 340K)

Make sure you turn the lights on. Some of the stuff you hear is plain creepy. Even though it's just literal boomers "talking" through RTTY but you have the BFO tuned incorrectly so it sounds like voices coming from hell.

>listening to wavelets

Longwave or bust.

I find more interesting things scanning local public utilities and safety channels with a bearcat.

Can I ask you guys a radio question? You lads wouldn't happen to have any recommendations relating to airband antennas, would you? Currently looking at the Diamond D-777 after performing some cursory research.

I was into amateur radio long beforehand (2m and 6m) but I have to say Reviewbrah really opened my eyes to shortwave which was in the past just this blank spot on the map I'd knew of but never visited. Liked it so much I got myself a Grundig Satelite 750

WE WUZ SKYKANGZ

LIGHTS O F F

TANKS IN 30

ITS HAPPENING

Attached: pl00440408ubb.jpg (1024x1441, 195K)

no

So yes

Universal Radio in Ohio has one of the best selections of all sorts of radio gear, portable and tabletop models, including new DSP/SDR units that can operate with or without a host PC.

Also lots of accessories, big outdoor antennas, etc.

I have an ICOM R75 from Universal. It's an awesome tabletop but out of production now; ICOMS new models are SDR and can demodulate anything.

Attached: 0175lrg.jpg (700x396, 71K)

There's also pocket-size "DC to Daylight" units that can tune across the entire radio spectrum now, more or less, like the ICOM R30.

Attached: 1030.jpg (181x540, 97K)

Nope because I live in France and shortwave radio is absolutely inexistant here. Same goes for amateur radio, I hear someone talk like once a month. Well at least I can listen to the local police pound detachment and air traffic

I found out about Reviewbrah by finding out about his shortwave broadcasts

Grandpa euro here.

Yeah, you can't hear anything in yurop anymore other than russian sailors who still use HF.

VHF/UHF is even more dead, absolutely no analog traffic anymore.

Back in 90's radio shit was so interesting, never cared about amateur stuff but you could use ton of analog repeaters with telephone patches, listen to cell conversations, police, HF was crowded as fuck with balkans wars traffic. un, nato, russians, everyone was there.

i listen to HF Shortwave, my favorite is pirate radio found anywhere between 6925 KHz and 6980 Khz, on weekend evenings, other than that i listen to hams chatting on 160 75/80 40 & 20 meters, and sometimes CB radio, i dont bother to listen to the US domestic broadcasting because they are usually religious nuts or conspiracy nuts and they have basically ruined shortwave broadcasting, now if NPR or the BBC started broadcasting news again on shortwave i would listen, but i hate religion because they are basically carpetbaggers peddling snakeoil, and conspracy nuts are just too wacky and they usually are trying to sell bullshit products too

fugg I envy you.

>boomerwave
livinthedreem

this, best music is at 137kHz

Shortwave is dead here in Ireland
The only time VHF and UHF are interesting is when the weather causes power outages across the country. Even then it's mostly farmers talking to each other

Yep, I am a ham but shortwave was my gateway drug and I still listen every day practically.

Too bad all the modern units are so crappy compared to the older consumer sets.

Attached: 6B4F9A63-D446-45EB-AF72-3DC683EB266B.jpg (1920x1070, 538K)

>analog was better.
>boomer

After using a SDR I'll never go back to analog. Old analog radios were better than shitty digital ones with muting and aggressive AGC but using an analog set when cheap SDRs exist is only good for hipster cred.

An analog set is likely to have much better reception capabilities than most modern SDR setups, excepting those that are in the >$1000 range. Most SDRs have absolutely no front-end filtering leading to shit IMD especially in the urban areas where many of us are located.

Learn a little about radio before you speak, children. You're clearly rank beginners and while that's OK, you should strive for better. The radio in pic is still sought after by shortwave listeners who know what's what because of its excellent performance. Used it still fetches hundreds of dollars.

Nice try though.

>t. boomer who can't configure the newfangled equipment.

>t. child who doesn't understand basic electronics or know what a radio front end is or what a roofing filter is

c'mon now, bandpass filters hardly are analog-only technology. get on with the times, grandpa

Grandpa doesn't know SDR is all about gulping everything in and filtering it out with FFT software on them newfangled 'puters.

>bandpass helps with close-in interference and nearby strong signals
>what is noise floor and intermod

Face it kids, you’re not doing so hot. Maybe get licensed and learn a bit about radio then come back? Nah that’s hard, some pedophile is playing PUBG on a live stream and you have a smartphone anyway.

Shit I'm waiting for rtl-sdr to come... Anything good/interesting to listen?

I had one of those with the stock antenna. Couldn't hear anything interesting but I'm in north Cork kinda in a valley.
I'd reckon if your in Dublin the stock antenna should pick something up. Or get a better antenna.

Attached: 71FywcPBUIL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 122K)

Kek, ordered the same thing just for a start. Also moved from Dublin to Galway few months ago

>Galway
you might have some luck with it if your near the city.
This guy has a web-sdr setup in carlow. Think he's using a nice antenna though. You can listen to it here
emeraldsdr.ddns.net:8073/

>balkans wars traffic
i was just a kid back then but since i live in austria and sometimes used my fathers sw radio i catched that from time to time. never knew what they was talking about, but in retrospective it's kinda creepy. i also remember the libyan broadcasts from 2011 when everything went to shit, i also had some recordings of it but lost it with an corrupt hdd.

>Maybe get licensed
So I can shout "praise yawhweh!" to some old pensioners?

Big brainlet here, how can i set up this to listen to shortwaves? I would like to listen to 7780kHz for reviewbrah europe but i have no idea how this works, can i do it with a pioneer TX-608L pic related ? (bad quality sorry)

Attached: tmp_27892-IMG_20180724_2240563605311198125903197.jpg (3264x2448, 617K)

Nope, because it's not a shortwave radio. You need a radio built for shortwave in order to listen to reviewbrah. They are very cheap, though. The Tecsun R-9012 is the standard cheap radio.

No, so you can use the variety of digital and analog communications methods which hams have at their disposal. We also have a complete parallel Internet which can operate completely over radio, or which can use the actual Internet to route traffic quicker.

It's funny to watch kids and shills come out of the woodwork when ham radio comes up. Amateur radio was even good enough for the treasonous Deep State with Ham Nellie Ohr, who used it to communicate in a way difficult or impossible to intercept even by the NSA in her anti-American plot to invalidate the last election.

It's probably beyond your IQ rating anyway, so don't worry too much about it kid.

Attached: 1531609293042.jpg (835x773, 332K)

>We also have a complete parallel Internet which can operate completely over radio,
it's slow as shit. I've rtty'd before.
Even did the slow scan picture shit.
It's boring, but I guess if thats your bag old man....

>We also have a complete parallel Internet which can operate completely over radio, or which can use the actual Internet to route traffic quicker
Wut wut wut? Please gib info.

it's just boomers discovering winamp.

IT REALLY WHIPS THE LLAMAS ASS *CRK* *SIP* *DABS*

Attached: 1531262075933.gif (680x435, 135K)

Winlink 2000, Jewgle it.

RTTY is great but not what I’m talking about kiddo.

Be German first so you can use their more complete system.

Your search term for that is hamnetDB.

Broadband-hamnet is your search term for the american system, which is attempting to work out meshnet but seems to be having some real issues connecting through the middle states.

>tfw want to set up a broadband hamnet repeater but there aren't any others in my area

Just add to the vast boomernet that is winlink.

Attached: winlink.png (1165x636, 439K)

WL2K is complete but it's not 'broadband' - speeds are typically limited to 2400 or 9600 baud, old skool dialup speeds. Works anywhere though.

>speeds are typically limited to 2400 or 9600 baud
so rtty speeds.

I don't have any spare HF hardware. Part of the appeal of broadband-hamnet is my abundance of routers

With new FCC rules it's probable that the speeds will improve, especially on V/U.

>wanted to listen to nips
>all i got was cubans playing classical piano

The nip stations all have livestreams like all the other international broadcasters.

>i don't know legendary status of a icf-2010

get off this thread

>livestreams
That takes the fun out of it. I just want to sit in my backyard on a comfy summer night like tonight and listen to some nips. I'll admit that the Cubans play piano well.

LOL, No.
I feel outdated when I listen to FM in my car.

I've been meaning to run an antenna through the yard now that the snow's gone, I need to find my shortwave radio first though

Radio Havana on 6.165 right now

Attached: IMG_20180725_000225.jpg (3968x2976, 2.43M)

What's a good place to start with shortwave radio? I'm in Canada btw.

Make your own antenna coil and balun from a dead psu.

BBC have their orchestral classical performance called "proms" every summer. If only they broadcast that over shortwave. Spread western culture through the airwaves like in the old days.