When will it die?

When will it die?

Attached: x86 sucks.jpg (800x500, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/amd-libre.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When ARM/RISC-V/OpenPower/OpenSPARC are competitive to it's price and performance ratio

Probably not for another 10-15 years optimistically

never

Attached: remove_arcane_remove_arcane_by_idiotska-d62r1d4.jpg (1113x930, 366K)

Once RISC takes over laptops only desktops will be left, and they are dying out.

x86 server CPUs are a better buy than POWER still, and more performance in almost all areas

x86 on servers is like Windows on servers. It's because the servers they are on don't matter and are not run by competent people.

Besides the "muh memory," there is no real advantage between 64bit and 32bit OSes. Even nowadays, 32bit is enough for your average fa/g/

I don't think you know what this thread is about.

Based and redpilled

>x86=32bit

Attached: groid.jpg (800x729, 72K)

It serves no purpose. The only thing it has going for it is compatibility with old, proprietary software.

AMD saves it for like 20 years right? It will live as long as arm can't catch up in performance and amd supports it. IBM's marketing is even more of a joke than AMD's so power is not a threat.

>AMD saves it for like 20 years right?
No, nobody trusts AMD. They're just Intel's followers. Once ARM becomes commonplace on laptops, where it is already rapidly expanding, x86 will die out along with desktops

>first coolers
>first dualcore chips
>first 64bit extension
>first SMT patent
Gee what would they do without intel?

Nothing, because Intel developed x86, which is dying. Hopefully Intel and their irrelevant little brother AMD die too.

Too bad for you but AMD has chips for arm instruction set too.

And? No one will want to use them since AMD is already compromised. Why trust a company that intentionally put backdoors in their chips?

Well unlike intel they weren't caught so it's not like your argument is valid

Retarded normie fuck off.

this. x86 server is stupid

I'm talking about intentional backdoors. It isn't a matter of "catching" since it isn't a secret.

It doesn't matter. AMD's standing is same as any other manufacturer's including those making ARM chips: they all are likely to have backdoors but it's not proven.

How is AMD's not proven? There's a reason why open architecture is the future, it's because nobody trusts chip makers after the fuckery of Intel and their little brother. Nobody wants another x86.

x86 is the most normie arch ever

Consumers don't buy architecture. They buy chips. Nothing stops manufacturers form putting backdoors in any chip.

That would be ARM.

Why they? You sound like a consumer, too. The fact that this is an open standard bodes far better for user freedom than closed Intel x86 ever could. Especially since Intel and AMD both exploit the consumers of their Intel x86 chips.

Normalfags buy x86 because it supports their faggy shit like proprietary software.

They buy ARM because they can browse Instagram, Facebook and write messages on WhatsAPP and iMessage.

That still would be ARM

We know that RISC has taken over small portable computers. But the real normalfags are the ones with windowed cases, LEDs, and wangblows.

You lost me

No, the real normalfags are the ones browsing Facebook, getting all their nes from Facebook, talking with everyone on Facebook, and occasionally going to 9gag. They all use ARM powered devices.
As gaudy a PC full of LEDs is, that is not what a normalfag uses.

Hopefully x86 loses you, too. Then you might stop defending evil corporations like AMD and Intel who use Intel's awful architecture.
No, normalfags are the ones who play games with computers. You're thinking of old people.

No, normalfags are the one with their smartphone on their hand all day long, browsing Facebook "on the go".

No, normalfags are the ones on "Discord" and "Steam" all day, well, when they aren't at school.

Normalfags are the ones on Facebook, WhatsApp and iMessage all day long.

I think it is clear that we disagree. Simply stating your malformed opinion repeatedly doesn't make your stance any more true.

Attached: The Ultimate Normie Machine (ARM powered).jpg (654x650, 69K)

see

That's not a normie machine. Very few people on Earth have such a computer. But every single normie on the planet has one of these glorified Facebook machine botnets.

Attached: 304969-pdp-overview-samsung-gs7_edge-tile_01.jpg (658x1139, 56K)

>That's not a normie machine
Yes it is.
>But every single normie on the planet has one of these glorified Facebook machine botnets.
There are groups beyond normalfags, or "normies" as you mistakenly call the, that use mobile botnets. These include chads and stacies, boomers, and women. Normalfags may use phones, but they also play with computer games.

No, normalfags play Candy Crush, Flappy bird and Angry Birds on their ARM powered device.
Also this is what normalfags call a "computer".

Attached: normie computer.png (800x687, 542K)

You're describing women and boomers, not normalfags. Sounds like you're too new to even know what a normalfag is.

No, I described normalfags, since they are the only ones pleased by an ARM CPU's performance.

Normalfags are the only ones who love x86 since they are not concerned about their freedom and privacy. If you want real power use Power9.

>freedom and privacy
Something which ARM does not provide.

>real power use Power9
You are not going to do any work with an architecture there is no software for. x86 is both cheap and powerful.

>Something which ARM does not provide.
Why are you so stuck on ARM? You normalfags think it is the only RISC architecture.
>You are not going to do any work with an architecture there is no software for
Have you even considered compiling from source, you fucking retard?

>x86 is both cheap and powerful.
Underpowered compared to Power9 and it's cheap because it exploits its useds.

>the only RISC architecture
It is the only significant one.

>Have you even considered compiling from source
Good luck with that. Look how great Linex is doing.

I don't think anyone uses Power on a workstation nowadays. Hence no one writes software for that architecture.

>if you want real power use Power9
Literally only in synthetic benchmarks that use heavy floating point math, which would typically get farmed out to GPUs (or accelerated with AVX) nowadays. BTFO by bingbus Xeon 12+ core chips and EPYC CPUs on real world workloads and price and platform/vendor availability.
You literally have to fellate either Raptor CS or IBM to get the machines in bulk, while you can phone Dell, HP, or Lenovo to get you a datacenter worth of servers the next morning.
I swear, everybody shilling Power9 on Jow Forums probably can't even afford the base Talos 2.

If you're going to shill a freetard arch, at least shill one with a free ISA like RISC-V.

>It is the only significant one
No, it isn't. And there are open source implementations of ARM, so your point is moot.
>Good luck with that. Look how great Linex is doing.
What does LineX have to do with this?
>I don't think anyone uses Power on a workstation nowadays. Hence no one writes software for that architecture.
Many operating systems are available for Power9, many people use it.
Sounds like you just had a bad time with IBM. Now you like x86 because it is more available to you. Don't blame Power9 for your faults.

>Many operating systems are available for Power9
Yeah, but none of thm are suitable for a workstation.

>ARM
Already competitive in many sectors. Becoming competitive on general-purpose servers.
>RISC-V
At least a decade away.
>OpenPower
Will probably remain niche.
>OpenSPARC
Will probably remain niche.

You forgot to mention J-core. They should be releasing a new Dreamcast-tier open SuperH CPU any time now.

What makes an OS suitable for a workstation?

Something with proper software available.

Which backdoor do you mean, the Chimera one?

Stop being vague. Do any operating systems today meet your requirements? Name the kinds of software that you need to run for a workstation. If you can't do that then stop wasting time.
I'm talking about intentional backdoors, not security flaws.

>I'm talking about intentional backdoors
Names/links? Chimera is speculated to be an intentional backdoor in a chip AMD licensed.

I don't want to speculate. Referring to PSP in particular.
libreboot.org/amd-libre.html

I'm going to swicth to Power from x86 if you can build a PC as fast as this one, for the same money, running Windows 7, Adobe's suite and can hold two VMs running in the background without any performance impact. And no, I'm not willing to switch software, this setup brings me a very good monthly income. I need an Nvidia GPU, btw, this PC is running a Titan X Pascal.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (2560x1440, 556K)

Forgot to say, motherboard needs to support 10Gigabit ethernet. I use it on a daily basis, this machine deals with some pretty large projects, tens of GiB, not going to transfer those at USB speed..

You obviously don't care about freedom or privacy, since you whore yourself out to corporations for a monthly cheque. So that tells me you don't think you are worth much. Maybe you should look at training so you can make money without whoring yourself out.
I can run Debian, Emacs, and more for a very efficient workload. Your machine probably can't even emulate other architecture.

I'm not willing to throw away the money I'm getting for a few clicks I do o edit some video projects just because you think my PC is somehow not respecting my privacy, sorry.
And you failed to build an equivalent Power based machine for the same money (most likely because it's impossible).
I'm not sure what it'sworse, to be a whore or a liar, which you clearly are.

>I'm not willing to throw away the money I'm getting for a few clicks I do o edit some video projects just because you think my PC is somehow not respecting my privacy, sorry.
That's Stockholm syndrome.
>And you failed to build an equivalent Power based machine for the same money (most likely because it's impossible).
Of course it is. I don't see why it's an issue, though.
>I'm not sure what it'sworse, to be a whore or a liar, which you clearly are.
I haven't lied about anything.

You didn't because it's impossible to achieve that on Power. And that makes you a liar.

>You didn't because it's impossible to achieve that on Power. And that makes you a liar.
If you mean run your little proprietary shitware? Then I don't care. Why would anyone with any sense subject themselves to that. I never claimed you could run proprietary shitware there without suckling at some Pajeet's teat to get the source code. But you can be productive with freedom respecting software. I never lied.

>Has english windows installation
>Has cyrillic keyboard layout by default
You never stop impressing me

So it's impossible to achieve that with Power architecture. Thanks for finally admitting you're a liar.

Because I speak russian, and everyone aroud me speaks russian as well, but I prefer my software interface to be in english. What's the problem?

I never claimed you could run your specific, niche proprietary software. Do you know how their licences work? You are both a whore and a liar it seems. That or just very dull.

>which is dying
Because Intel is too jewish to compete on price

No, it's because they're too power hungry for anything portable and too weak and closed for anything of any importance.

>niche
I don't think so. Ether that or you don't know what niche means. Premiere is pretty much the industry standard.

Niche in terms of actual computer use. Outside of your little photo industry. It isn't something programmers require. Most people who work with open software and hardware are programmers. Hence why there are fifty IDEs for every art program.

what, are you guys running your severs on ARM?

>programmers
Okay..? I don't need an IDE, I'm not a programmer. Your post makes very little sense, which is to be expected given your previous answers.

No.
I don't care what you think you need. You just play with pictures and video tapes. My point is that people who do real work have no problem with having freedom.

I could say the same about your work, that it implies "playing in notepad" all day long. Yours is not more of a work than mine. The only difference is that my machine is suitable for both our works, while yours, as much as you try to deny it, it useless for my kind of work.

I only use my notepad for taking notes, but it is totally independent from any machine.
The reason your "work" can't be done with freedom is because people who do your work are too stupid to make a free way of doing it. If there were no free IDEs, we would make one. When you apparently have no free option for doing your work you just accept that you have to whore yourself out.

Not trying to look for an argument, so please be honest, what is the hardware you're running on?

I use a Powerbook G4 currently, running Debian, I used to use a 4 core Powermac G5. Hopefully a Talos II workstation in the future. I also use a variety of ARM devices.

>i-i-it's gonna beat x86 in the future you'll see!!
yeah sure all those architectures will actually be better than x86 when their marketing point is anything else then being low powered
x86 is on the top for a reason because no one else managed to beat it in terms of performance

x86 is too power hungry for portables and too weak for servers and supercomputers. It will fall along with the desktop.

>too weak for servers
yeah sure i used once a server based on arm
it was awful
also amd epyc exists plus their research on having more cores at a higher clock speed

>yeah sure i used once a server based on arm
I don't care about ARM on servers.
>also amd epyc exists
Yes, it's Intel x86 trash, too.

Then why do 32bit applications go in Program FIles (x86)?

Because you told them to. I don't know what you're on about.

The 32bit applications go to the different foulder than the 62bit apps

They don't "go" somewhere on their own. By default they go to /usr/bin or /usr/local.

Why would they? For the same reason Intel did. To play ball.

>says it's weak on servers
>i don't care about servers
good argument retard
>it's intel x86 trash
then why intel wanted to get a license from amd for amd64
since I64 was a failure

In windows they go to different foulders automaticly

Brainlet here, what's wrong with x86?

I said I don't care about ARM on servers.
>then why intel wanted to get a license from amd for amd64
"AMD64" is just a 64 bit implementation of x86. I don't care what Intel did, I just say Intel x86 because that is who developed x86 in the first place.
So what?
Have you been living under a rock the past year? Beyond being practically ill suited to modern needs x86 is full of holes, bugs, backdoors, and is closed to boot.

This thread is about x86 arch, not 32bit vs 64bit. Are you on something?

Why do 32bit-apps go in the x86 foulder then

Ask Pajeet. Why would I know the method of Mircosoft's madness?

Intel didn’t develop x86 you absolute retard.

Yes they did. Who do you think developed the architecture?

This thread is about x86 arch, not 32bit or 64bit.