Random numbers dont exist

random numbers dont exist

Attached: 1521710340006.jpg (544x679, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baryon_asymmetry
idquantique.com/random-number-generation/products/quantis-ais-31/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Maybe not, but strings of numbers with maximal entropy and minimal self-information do. From an engineering perspective, this is the same.

u right

They're just numbers whose given parameters and procedures you don't know. I think they really exist.

>random numbers don't exis-

Attached: random_number.png (400x144, 7K)

you don't exist

FOR THE PLAYERS

Random doesn't exist. Free will doesn't exist.

umm sweetie the universe exists solely because randomness is real
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baryon_asymmetry

What about using pi? Those numbers never repeat.

It doesn't exist because there are infinite numbers so it isn't possible to select one.

>A number between 0 and 9
>Random

>we don't understand it, therefore it's random

Attached: 1530715896861.jpg (1300x1451, 159K)

Alright then. Can you give me pi accurate to the 10^100 decimal place? Then what about 10^100 + 1?

You have a very naive understanding of numbers.

actually a CRT can be used to create a true random number generator. overdrive a PMT and you'll generate totally random quantum noise. this can be used as a true random number generator. (at least according to quantum mechanics)

ever wonder why the DoD and trump are so interested in quantum cryptography and quantum computers? it basically boils down to the fact that quantum devices can create perfectly random numbers

The numbers of pi can be calculated so they most certainly are not random

let me give an even less ad-hoc example.

set up a narrow slit and aim an electron gun at it. put a fluorescent screen behind it. the diffraction pattern will be a quantum interference pattern.

turn down the power to the electron gun so it only generates ~ one electron per the decay time of your fluorescent screen. then on your fluorescent screen, number the regions you see the diffraction pattern 0-9 (or whatever you like). then you can assign a digit for each electron.

you will get a perfectly random sequence of 0-9s being generated on the screen per unit time (provided you wait long enough, or spaced out the regions so they are all equally probable, and you ignore electrons that happen to fall on the borderlines between regions)

QM is genuinely random and it is easy to design random number generator devices. even in solid state, actually, but this is a more visualizable example

You can get them by reading ADC with no pull ups or downs.

>Take a radioactive sample
>Take Geiger counter
>Measure signals over given period of time
>Scale with number of your choice if desired
>???
>Profit
Only way to get a genuinely random number desu

lml just flip a coin

white people dumb asf

fuck off nigger

why is this thread in technology and not mathematics?

>makes precision measurements of your finger
>measures accurately the velocity and angular momentum of the coin along its rotational axis
>measures all air currents in room
>accurately solves the bernoulli equations of motion for the air currents in room
>measures material properties in coin to ridiculous precision
>measures material properties of what it lands on to great precision
>calculates bounce trajectories
>calculates your coin toss with 100% accuracy

bam bro, classical physics btfo.

gotta go quantum

True random number generators do exist and they use very random and volatile real life stuff like the 13th digit of the air pressure, the 15th digit of wind speed, etc to generate a random number

Give me one reason why this would be incorrect

>we're too lazy to count that high therefore it's one of many infinities of which there are infinities smaller than it and larger than it

Attached: 1501794445868_0.png (863x1080, 365K)

because if you define randomness in terms of the "entropy" or "algorithmic information content" of the sequence of numbers generated by the generator, then this algorithm would generate a sequence with basically zero entropy.

one way to define algorithmic information content is to ask "how long would the algorithm be to describe this sequence of numbers?"

the sequence 4444444... could be described by the algorithm (bash) while :; echo 4; done

whereas a number like pi would have slightly higher algorithmic information content, since it requires a longer algorithm (i.e. more code) to specify

if you have never implemented a PRNG in C, you are not a real programmer

Attached: balaclava.jpg (1310x1480, 174K)

I don't know what that is

>random numbers dont exist
cat /dev/random
where is your god now

Attached: seemingly-smug-duck-.jpg (900x600, 136K)

>he doesn't know about true random number generators

i feel like using an unrealistic digit of some classical measurement device is more of a "we think it's random" versus "we know it's random".

however in a quantum experiment like we know the outcome is random, based on all the evidence. and since classical mechanics is deterministic, using certain decimal places of measurements of classical quantities is at best a very haphazard quantum measurement (i.e. your experiment is actually sensitive to quantum effects), but at best just as good as selecting a random digit from any classical measurement, and since classical physics is deterministic, then the numbers you pull from classical measurements are actually determined, and therefore your generator is pseudorandom.

anyhow quantum is where randomness arises in nature. at least in terms of measurements made by humans. (whether quantum mechanics itself is random is a different story -- in fact it is not.)

oops typo
>but at best just as good as selecting a random digit
should be:
but at worst is just as good as selecting a random digit

Yes they do, but you have to add a little extra blockchain AI to the mix.

You also have to use JavaScript. Only works with JavaScript.

> Example:
function generateTrulyRandomNumber() {
var randNum = Math.random();
var truthDetector;
if ( randNum < 0.5 ) {
truthDetector = false;
} else {
truthDetector = !false;
}
if ( randNum >= Math.random() ) {
if ( truthDetector !== !false ) {
return randNum;
}
} else {
if ( (truthDetector === false) && randNum === randNum ) {
return randNum;
}
}
}

var trueRandNum = Math.random();

Attached: Comfy guy.jpg (197x190, 53K)

>Math.random();

Attached: 1490f792e1a948bdf305de910e926717ca84525c5e07da4a4bcbb4ae5eff92c0.jpg (720x720, 310K)

Record cosmic microwave radiation.

Its only using numbers 1-6 so its always garunteed to be one of those numbers.

Couldn't this also be applied to lottery ball drops? There's no way they're truly random.

What if I just attached one of these to a lever which "pops" it every time I need a random number, aimed a camera at it to read the result, and packaged it all up as a PCI board?

Attached: Trouble.jpg (1280x720, 72K)

Of course, you dingus.

There are places that do this to generate random numbers that you can pull from. There are also people who shoot lasers through lava lamps and measure the signal strength on the other side and use that to generate random numbers.

there is a function governing such things we just dont know.....

Don't mind me. I'll steal this image.

Attached: check my aesthetic.gif (916x544, 1.41M)

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence my nigga

>if you've never implemented a basic hashing algorithm, you are not a real programmer
nobody likes you

We actually do know the function, and it is random.

Underrated.

t. NIST CIA nigger

so you feel the tossing of a die is deterministic?

Attached: di_12rwdic.jpg (450x424, 108K)

You sure about that?
idquantique.com/random-number-generation/products/quantis-ais-31/

Modern hardware, at least on intel side, has circuitry for exploting thermal noise to create truly random numbers.

Ob Dilbert...

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 7.42.40 pm.png (850x248, 252K)

Turn on FM radio, select channel with no signal, record static.

No we don't, that's just a lazy retard solution like "God did it."

Correct, nothing in our world is truly random.
Physics determine everything at some point.
Change my mind.

True. Random distributions and rolls from them exist tho. The numbers themselves are not random in any way.

Quantum mechanics disagree with you.

Quantum mechanics agree and disagree with you.

I knew a guy whose masters thesis was on verifying if a quantum computer was producing actual random numbers. It was boring as fuck to read.

Attached: 20120218.gif (576x748, 108K)

bullshit

watch this

You sir, were influenced by your free will - the number you typed was actually predetermined by scenarios you faced through your entire life - random it wasn't.

Explain

Numbers are already existing

>the number you typed was actually predetermined by scenarios you faced through your entire life

i didn't type a number, i just mashed the numbers without looking. faggot. that's a random number

The motion you made while mashing the numbers was predetermined by scenarios you faced through your entire life - random it wasn't.

Thanks doc

Wow, a thesis that inevitably amounts to "Dunno lol." They just hand out degrees, huh?

Ironically smoking I think can cause some of that yellowing on the plastic.

The end result is determined by a plethora of external influences. Wind resistance, direction of collision with particles, initial force, direction of initial force, etc.
Just we can't completely understand or catagorise it, doesn't mean it's magically random.

>what is noise

but miserable pile of music

go for a beer
talk about girls, cars, booze, mainstream superhero shills WHATEVER, its not about what you say, its about how you say it

>implying the reason life exists isn't to bring order into chaos
>therefore everything is random until we become aware of it

$(( ( RANDOM % ∞) + 1 ))

what now?

he's right check this 6

Attached: 1529162428598.jpg (250x250, 12K)

entropy would be non-zero unless the machine on which you're running it has ECC memory

>steins;gate was real
nani?

>umm sweetie
Stoner tier meme theories.

>Quantum mechanics
>Quantum quackery
Fixed it for you.

>random numbers dont exist
Exactly. Check out these digits

Attached: 321353.jpg (377x351, 28K)