Why are you still using gnulinux?

Legit question, no shitposts and "FREEEDOOOOM" allowed, unless you *literally* audit everything you install.

Attached: GNU-LINUX.jpg (1554x860, 307K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sec.ch9.ms/ch9/a63c/1a3d6036-cfce-46da-bbe9-ef91ea03a63c/LinuxJourneyMS_mid.mp4
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-33/product_id-47/cvssscoremin-7/cvssscoremax-7.99/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you all pretend to use linux?

Because it is useful.

What can Ubuntu do that windows can't?

Not being bloated shit

Define bloated. Windows 10 runs just as well on 2 and 8GB of RAM.

I don't. I use a Linux distribution. I do that because it's more convenient in my everyday life and my current job.

If I'm already using GNU/Linux and I have all the software I need, why would I install Botnet/Windows?
Legit question, no shitposts allowed.

>Just as well
>2GB RAM
Maybe if you enjoy only looking at your desktop because doing anything else would be a pain in the ass.

You don't really own your computer if you slap proprietary software all over it. You don't know for sure Microsoft isn't doing anything funny behind your back, this is one compromise I can't live with.

Not really, my dude. Windows 10 handles page files really fucking well so I can play any game or encode videos without a hitch.

>don't know for sure
>what's wireshark
>what's router-level firewall
>what's VM-based audit
And I don't even care if microsoft has teamviewer access to my PC or some shit, I just want a 100% reliable computer.

Package managers, ease of configuration, I know everything my computer is doing and why it's doing it, powers my netbook potato and high-end desktop, I may not audit the code I'm running but it's possible that someone somewhere does which is an order of magnitude better than the alternative

- runs faster
- more choices/customization options
- only does what i configure it to do
- easier to fix should there be a problem

>I know everything my computer is doing and why it's doing it
You know the entire OS and kernel by heart?
>runs faster
>can't even overclock components

Why should I use windows if GNU/Linux has everything I need?
I can even play games I would normaly play on windows

WHY THE FUCK SHOULD I USE WINDOWS AND WHY THE FUCK YOU CARE WHAT OTHERS USE?

NO SHITPOSTS, ANSWER THIS FAGGOT

It's much easier to use

this

this is a lie, I have a small tablet/laptop with 2GB and I switched to void linux because Windows 10 was running like shit on it. Windows 10 is fine when you got proper hardware otherwise it's shit.

>can't even overclock components
wat

Windows has native performance for its applications. I won't trust some shoddy Qt or open GL implementation.

>I just want a 100% reliable computer.
Then why are you using Windows? What struck me as funny when I first tried Linux was how driver failures on Windows would bring the entire system down, on Linux if my wifi driver crashed then the only thing that stops working is my wifi.

>You know the entire OS and kernel by heart?
I know which services I enabled and why, I have a general idea of what the kernel is doing (and which modules I enabled) and if I really want to know how a program interacts with it I can use strace(1).

windows is too much work to make it semi-usable, then when something goes wrong it's damn near impossible to fix it
i feel embarrassed to admit i put up with that shit for so long

Runs better, better software, free, gratis, more customization, more options, better tools.

Luckily I'm not using Vista or Arch so I've never experienced a crash other than firefox.

Ubuntu is really good for old people or people who don't know much about computers. It's just as easy to use as Windows and it just werks. No slowdown from bloat either.

Personally, I think Windows is better unless you're specifically coding for an UNIX environment like a Raspi. The reason I say this is because there are more tools, and there are basically no Linux tools that don't exist on Windows, but the inverse isn't true, and the "replacements" just aren't as good.
LibreOffice is no MS Office for instance. Visual Studio Code doesn't hold a candle to Visual Studio. It's just a fact.

what about all applications and gaymes which have native performance for linux?
>I won't trust some shoddy qt or open gl implementation
>but I trust windows botnet lol
YOU'RE FUCKING IDIOT
unironically kill yourself

you haven't answerd this:
WHY THE FUCK YOU CARE WHAT OTHERS USE?

ANSWER IT BITCH

>native performance on linux
No such thing, unless you count crappy all-purpose Qt and GTK solutions as native for some reason.
>care what others use
I feel it's my duty to enlighten autists with extremist opinions such as yourself. You guys need to get back on the road your parents dropped you off at.

>an UNIX environment like a Raspi

Attached: 1517198539389.jpg (1280x720, 85K)

I got into Linux because I just burned out on playing a perpetual game of whack-a-mole with Windows' endless security holes and telemetry "features."
Computing on Linux is really nice, so I have no particular reason to switch to macOS or BSD (and going back to Windoze is right out, obviously).

Attached: 1527712303199.jpg (735x779, 92K)

Name concrete examples pls. You have broad claims. I tried ubuntu, mint, and manjaro on my laptop. The desktop envrronments felt so shitty and clunky by default and many software from the official pakage managers (eclipse for java, etcher (a rufus clone) were not properly installng so i had to go to their wwebsites to dl and install just like inwindows. Except that now u gotta do it through terminal instead of double click. Andd good luck uninstalling a broken install, i got no clue where that shit is stored so i can go clean itup. In windows u got uninstall software from control panel. Also adding programs to your start bar is ridiculously unintuitive.

Why, were you a victim of cyber crime?

if you think wine is a pain to use, wait until you try windows

It is easier to use in all possible ways.

>windows
>GPU driver installer actually works
Off to a good start

>no such thing
oh, so you're just retarded
there are plenty of developers and programmers who use linux daily
you have no arguments to use windows over linux

>FOSS OS Lubuntu can see and connect to my NAS no problem
>Windows 10 cannot see it or connect

Windows a shit

>lunix
>GUP driver is already on the kornoul
>just werks

my gpu driver ships with linux, don't even need to install them myself

i3 is nice and snappy for me. Much better than the wangblows DE. Use Emacs instead of Eclipse. Use dd instead of Rufus. Use dmenu instead of a start bar. Or use docky if you love GUIs so much. Sounds like your bad experience is your fault for being stupid.

>No such thing, unless you count crappy all-purpose Qt and GTK solutions as native for some reason.

Oh wait ... It's retarded.

Start menu*.
Also performance of intel integrated graphics is incredibly subpar on loonix compared to windows.

Manjaro gave me similar performonce to windows. Mint was the worst

>muh appeal to authority
KEK
Yeah some buggy piece of open source shit or outdated binaries. I also don't trust middle men like that, what do linux devs know about nvidia or AMD?

Will check these out. What distro do you use?

Gentoo.

>what do linux devs know about nvidia or AMD?
They're AMD or nvidia employees contributing to the kernel?

I don't want that, I want it straight from the source.

No, you want Nouveau. It is entirely free. Nvidia and AMD publish drivers with non-free binary blobs.

I don't want open source one-size-fits-all crapware.

Use the term free, rather than open source.

official drivers are free but not open source.

>I want it straight from the source.
What could be closer to the source then employees of nvidia or amd?

Then use the non free driver, that is released by nvidia or amd?
This isn't hard.

No, they are partially open source but not free. Free as in freedom, not free beer. When saying something is free as in free beer, which is a contraction of the phrase "free of charge", you should say gratis.

>use the non-free driver
The installer from the website doesn't work.
>you would say gratis
No, I wouldn't. Nobody would. That's not how the English language works.

Are you writing out your quotations manually? I said "should".

Oh. Point still stands.

>The installer from the website doesn't work.
That is why they should be included in the repository of your operating system, install them from there.

I don't get it, why would you attempt to even try Linux if you clearly don't want to use it?

You have made no valid point.

Yes, I have, 'gratis' is not a commonly used word on the street, it's not even common slang. Only elitists use it, hence whether it is correct or not is irrelevant.

Common usage does not dictate your usage.

Common usage is the only thing that matters, otherwise it may as well be called Football Sightseeing Federation

>muh appeal to authority
I'm just saying that your point is invalid
there are plenty successful people using linux daily
what you heard on Jow Forums isn't whole world
no sort yourself out

*now

you're literally an attention whore
no more (You)s from me
saged

Attached: 1490627330757.jpg (409x720, 64K)

>Common usage is the only thing
Are you the same guy who flew into a rage and said "muh appeal to authority"?

Literal appeal to authority. Why don't you interview them as to why they use linux?
Many successful people use OSX and windows as well, and their net worth is higher.

>Common usage is the only thing that matters
Then go use facebook instead of Jow Forums.

You fags know you won't be knighted if you waste time 'correcting' people, right?

>You fags know you won't be knighted if you waste time 'correcting' people, right?
What?
Are you now mad that people on a public forum respond to you?

Yes, this is a private forum and only friend classes may access Reply()

Just werks

Because I like it more than windows.

>windows
>bloated
>shit

>chooses to only argue with "bloated"

Case in point, faggot.

Sometimes I find linux very useful for debugging stuff - certain tools like valgrind work far better in linux.

Bloat is a completely moronic word used by semi-intellectuals. Most of the time, it's ungrounded.

Cuz Debian is all you ever need.

>fast and stable
>heavily customisable
>problems can easily be analysed and fixed instead of dealing with oopsie whoopsie, Windows made a doopsy messages
>safety
>no reboot after updates
>package manager instead of searching and installing .exe from shitty sources
>config files actually readable insted of cryptic registry clusterfuck
>muh freedoms
>does exactly what you want it to do
>no bloat
>no ads or telemetry
>no bullshit

Why are you still using Windows?

Native videogames and visual studio. Nothing you stated interests me more.

Gonna summarise the thread
>person gives answer
>no

>fast and stable
just like windows on hardware made after the year 2005
>heavily customisable
I don't care about ricing my desktop with anime traps because I do actual work, if you mean scripts and accessibility options, windows does that.
>problems can easily be analysed and fixed instead of dealing with oopsie whoopsie, Windows made a doopsy messages
but it literally has the error code right under it, you autist, this is how I know you've never actually used Windows.
>safety
vague
>no reboot after updates
You're right there, though a full reboot should take no more than 10 seconds if you have a good SSD
>package manager instead of searching and installing .exe from shitty sources
Windows has package managers you can install.
Since when are official websites "shitty sources"?
>muh freedoms
Do you personally audit every single line of code in the distro you use? If not, then this argument is moot.
>does exactly what you want it to do
Just like windows?
>no bloat
vague argument, define "bloat"
>no ads or telemetry
Huh, I don't have that either on Windows.
>no bullshit
no argument presented

Nice try, Richard Kikeman, no one's using commieOS.

good point, if you do (somehow), then don't touch windows

>all of you retards who actually think the OS war is real

How about you ask these guys why they use it:
sec.ch9.ms/ch9/a63c/1a3d6036-cfce-46da-bbe9-ef91ea03a63c/LinuxJourneyMS_mid.mp4

You mindless winblows fangoy sheep refusing to learn how to right click in a different system are the only reason that pOS is still around. Even *they* use Linux and are ready to completely abandon the burning tire fire you idiots still use, the instant the market withers.

Attached: derpy.jpg (255x280, 12K)

>.mp4
Not touching that shit, post a webm you fucking retard.

>audit everything you install.
>he doesn't realize all you need to audit is the network access
Oh dear...

>afraid of viruses
>still uses winblows
Fucking pick one.

>Linux doesn't get viruses
What a complete dickhead. Linux has more confirmed vulnerabilities than "winblows".

>Do you personally audit every single line of code in the distro you use? If not, then this argument is moot.
>I don't care about free speech because I have nothing to say

I'm all ears. Show me some Linux viruses that aren't obsolete by now.

>Native videogames and visual studio
Both of these things are trash.

Yes, I don't go on talk shows rambling about inane things to look relevant 30 years after having done something a group of people recognise.
Not a counter-argument.
Computers are not made to just compile crappy code that has already been compiled by other people before.

Computers are not toys either. So stop playing games on them.

I stopped using windows about 2 years ago because I was sick of dealing with constant crashing of it and a lot of ethical problems from Microsoft and their privacy policies.

>Not a counter-argument.
Not him, but if you think that asking for evidence is "not an argument" then you are retarded.

>muh freedom
>u-u-unless you're doing something I don't like!

>Yes, I don't go on talk shows rambling about inane things to look relevant 30 years after having done something a group of people recognise.
Nice non-argument, faggot.

Computers are general-purpose machines and can run games just fine. If you limit yourself to one thing, please configure your own ASIC and shut the hell up.
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-33/product_id-47/cvssscoremin-7/cvssscoremax-7.99/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html

>claims Linux is insecure
>claims "more confirmed vulnerabilities than winblows"
>refuses to provide proof
>full of shit retard
That was the perfect opportunity to give me a virus, and you refused. What a dipshit.

Would you kindly kill yourself.

Attached: 1328486252833.jpg (776x602, 46K)

>cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-33/product_id-47/cvssscoremin-7/cvssscoremax-7.99/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html
Why are you telling me this?
I only told you that responding "not an argument" if asked for evidence make you look retarded.
Also, since the exact number of flaws is Internal information this is irrelevant.

Maybe search for data of how many percent of computers are infected, or something like that.

What the fuck are you blabbering about?

>muh games
Why didn’t you just come right out and say this before we danced around it all thread?

The first few reasons that come to mind (in no particular order):
-) Updates download and install fast, no restart required
-) Package managers are neat
-) Some of my software runs better / is more stable on Linux (e.g. mpv or kdenlive)
-) Better terminal
-) I know how to write bash scripts. For Windows I'd have to learn Powershell, as batch scripts are extremely limited.
-) I can choose which DE to use (related to the next point)
-) Lightweight distros let me keep my old laptop, that is barely usable with Win7
-) It's easier to set everything up to compile from source
-) It's free. No reason to buy a key or use some 3rd party tool (like KMSpico) to activate it.