/spg/ - Smartphone General

Mi A2 & A2 Lite Launch Edition

Live stream starts at 11AM (GMT+2): youtu.be/IrRVxzXftZA

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual phone size comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: 1531496671171.jpg (731x422, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tboUCctZJzA
youtu.be/rGG-xDR9LAY
androidcentral.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-pro-benchmarks-snapdragon-636
youtu.be/5LKThf9KWjs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How to bypass the 360hr wait time of unlocking the Redmi Note 5?

I think all the workarounds have been fixed so your only option is to wait.

3rd for just ordered the nokia 6.1 please don't let me be disappointed

They removed the IR blaster, SD card and the motherfucking headphone jack and added a notch on the A2

Fucking xiaomi going full apple.

Why did they implement this in the first place? I haven't seen an OEM done this before.

To force you into the botnet and discourage small fries from rooting.

It also prevents any average joe from rooting a normie's phone just by having access to it for a little while.

Mi A2 doesn't have notch, the Mi A2 Lite has. A2 Lite also has the headphone jack and MicroSD slot. And at least according to GSMarena both models have IR blasters.

It's to stop third party sellers installing their own vendor ROMs with malware and adware, which was a major problem with earlier Xiaomi phones.

Live stream starting bois, Wang is on the stage

They should atleast make it 24hrs rather than 2 weeks.

Well that's what they get for not buying from the Official Xiaomi store/resellers.

A2 Lite has the 625, it's fucking bullshit.

It was 72hrs on the mi max 2, but even that was apparrently too short so they went with 360 on the new ones.

They don't want you rooting the phone anyways, but they would loose most of the custom rom market if they straight up stopped allowing you to.

the lite design is stupid. notch was needed. just add camera to huge bottom bezel

stupid clone

Attached: imhfghages.jpg (200x200, 9K)

Attached: Screenshot_20180724-130757.png (1280x720, 320K)

Does the one plus 6 receive many updates and is the software comparable to when it used to run cyanogen?

After asking last thread about which phone to replace my axon 7 with (if I can't get it replaced) I looked up all the phones and only one plus 6 is readily available and fair priced. (Mi mix 2s more money and harder to find)

Attached: 1503857392262.jpg (378x485, 39K)

what is the new MotoG just werkz phone?

They're showing reddit memes on the live stream

Attached: Screenshot_20180724-131556.png (1280x720, 375K)

>blocks your OS duopoly

Attached: AAEAAQAAAAAAAAy1AAAAJGFkN2Q5MmVmLTNhZWMtNGI2OS04ZWQ4LTIxNGE5YzUzN2FmMA.png (720x245, 56K)

Attached: Screenshot_20180724-132316.png (1280x720, 419K)

This doesn't seem half bad.

Hi, Jow Forums. I'm about to buy a budget smartphone and I can't decide between Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A Prime and Motorola Moto G6 Play. Could you guys help me?

>no headphone jack
>small battery
>625
>notch

they both fucking suck.

Attached: vlcsnap-error178.png (1920x1080, 1.15M)

Let me guess no US band support again....

What's your country and budget? Both are kinda meh.

What's the pint of these devices when Redmi Note 5 exists? What's the battery capacity though? 4000 mAh?

Fuck, I missed the stream

What's so bad about the Snapdragon 625?

Only LITTLE cores.

Nothing. But Xiaomi has a crap tons of it so people are getting bored of them always releasing phones with 625

>What's the point
Android One, better cameras on the A2

>What's the battery capacity
4000mah on A2 Lite, 3000mah on A2

Nothing. Performance is decent enough for everyday use and it's probably still the most power-efficient chipset on the market.

Thanks for your response. Poland, buying it from my carrier (called Play). I don't use smartphones too much, so I'd prefer to spend as little as possible. Xiaomi costs 349 zł (approx. 81 Euro/94 US dollars) and Motorola is for 389 zł (90 Euro/105 dollars).

Nothing
Couldn't be happier with mine

>mi a2 lite looks better
>bigger battery
>worse everything else

Why didn't they make the design and battery the same.

You can see the performance tests - 600 series are only incapable of PS2 emulation. Other game loading times can differ from 5-10 seconds at most. Other than that, drastic differences are in battery endurance and heat output in which 625/636 are still undefeated.
Well, almost all current Xiaomi devices have unlockable bootloaders and good custom ROM support. Android One isn't that good of a selling point considering that.

What phone should I get?
>t-mobile in the USA
>good amount of RAM (3 gb at least)
>good enough screen
>unlocked bootloader
>camera is irrelevant
>preferably under $200

Are you getting some carrier discount? Those prices seem pretty cheap. How much would a Redmi Note 4 or Redmi 5 Plus be through the same carrier?

What RAM and storage are the Note 5A and G6 Play? Out of the two I'd say G6 Play is the better buy.

Moto G5 Plus, G5S Plus or G6.

Do I have to pay lots of taxes if I import a Xiaomi device to Germany?

Attached: IMG_20180724_092523.jpg (746x544, 34K)

If only the A2 Lite had the 636...

Depends on where you buy it from. If it comes from another EU country there won't be any import taxes, and there's also several Chinese sellers offering shipping without taxes and import fees (HK Goldway and Mi Global store on AliExpress, Honorbuy, Ibuygou etc.)

So I'm ordering a phone today and I'm kind of torn apart between xiaomi redmi note 5 or mi mix 2. Although I like the look of it I think in some way I am overspending by buying mi mix 2 but I also feel like the processor will last me longer on that phone. What do you guys think? Should I just stick to redmi note 5 or is it worth spending a few more bucks and getting mi mix 2?

I think you should kys

Bad single thread performance. SD650 is older but performs significantly better because it has A72 cores. Think of the SD625 as like a FX8350 - it's good enough to use but compared to what's better single thread performance is ass.

Love you too faggot.

Mix 2 is flat out better in every way besides the battery, which isn't that big of a difference. It's smaller, usb-c, stereo speakers, better screen, etc.

Yup, my offer comes with discounts for their phones. They don't have Redmi Note 4, but their Redmi 5 Plus (there's only the 64 GB version) costs 659 zł which is 153 Euro or 179 dollars. There's also Redmi 5 (32 GB, dual SIM) for 459 zł (106 Euro/124 dollars).

Both Note 5A and G6 Play have 3 GB of RAM. Note has 32 GB of internal storage, G6 Play has 16 GB.
G6 is also dual SIM by the way.

depends on how much you use your phone
for example if you watch a lot of videos on it a better and larger screen makes sense

any of them, all of them

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 28K)

>6 inch display
>'lite'

Have smartphones finally gone full retard?

Mi Mix 2, it's more of a waste if you buy a phone you don't actually like than it is if you overspend. It's not like smartphones are really evolving much now so you'll probably keep it for a really long time.

If you're mostly concerned by the processor, why not comprise and get a Mi6 or Note 3?

Moto G6 Plus

There's no difference in real life performance between the two outside of gaming. Literally all the reviews comparing 650 and 625 have said the same, in terms of smoothness and loading times the two are indistinguishable.

625 is also significantly more power-efficient, has better multicore performance and heats (and throttles) less under load.

The screen is the same size on both phones. I think I mostly use my phone for business related stuff (i trade stocks, stuff like that). I just started thinking that the processor will last me longer.

>some Mexican broke my nexus 5 screen
>been stuck with iPhone 6 I picked up for 70$ for the past 3 months
>I want my old phone back

Why are you guys so autistic about processor specs? What do you do on your phones that requires high end chips? My Snap 615 phone has done and continues to do everything I need it to without any slowdown or flinch or glitch. 3 years and counting...

If you're spending money you get the best you can now to have it last for later.

Retard

Well I think G6 Play should be decent enough for basic phone use, if you just want something cheap.

Actually there is. There's many situations where my SD835 phone does not have enough single thread performance. I noticed a -huge- performance difference going to my mix 2 from RN3P. Considering SD625 is far worse I disagree unless all you do is make calls.

It's mainly browsing that you need the single thread performance and some heavy apps. Browsing and loading apps between the two phones is a huge fucking difference.

I have never experienced throttling with SD835 or it even getting above room temperature in my hand. Battery life is a non-factor because the RN3P with 4000mah got about 9hrs SOT and the Mix 2 with 3400mah gets 7hrs. From what I've seen The SD625 phones get about 9-10hrs too - what does this matter at all when you plug in the mix 2 for 15min and it charges up 4hrs SOT worth of battery?

I wish I got a SD845 phone instead of SD835 because there is still performance gains to notice. Mainly browsing, not just making calls. Google camera mod on advanced HDR+ mode takes a good fucking 3 seconds to process one image because the CPU is too burdened.

Stop spreading misinformation and saying dumb things like "SD625 does everything besides PS2 emulation" because while it's true it's fucking dumb. Nothing ARM in the world right now does even half speed PS2 emulation and you are practically implying other CPUs are capable of it.

Attached: catbonanan.jpg (576x768, 85K)

It's a 5.84" 19:9 notch display, the phone is 149mm tall, about the same size as regular 5.2-5.5" 16:9 phones. And the "Lite" moniker stands for lower specs, not smaller size.

Great, thanks a lot!

i get that, but can you be specific? what specific tasks do you do on your phone now that you think a 'low powered' chip like a 625 would power fine now but will be too weak to power in 3 years from now? Calendar? Calculator? Podcasts? YouTube? Even Snap 4xx chips can handle that. You really think those apps are going to become so processor intensive in 3 years' time that a chip that can handle it today won't be able to handle it in 3 years? LMAO

Sure, by that logic all recent MacBooks have impeccable CPU performance and endurance.

There's a much bigger performance difference between a 650 and 835 than 625 and 650, so it's a stupid comparison to make (625 scores ~77k, 650 scores ~90k, 835 scores ~190k in Antutu).

SD430 phones fucking lag opening the phone app, nevermind doing anything else.

t. XIDF

2 ding dongs have been deposited in your ching chong account :)

>Stop spreading misinformation and saying dumb things like "SD625 does everything besides PS2 emulation" because while it's true it's fucking dumb. Nothing ARM in the world right now does even half speed PS2 emulation and you are practically implying other CPUs are capable of it.
You should've quoted then. And even that post didn't imply that 625 is somehow superior in every way.

The reason the SD835 scores so much higher than the SD650 is the GPU. Both the SD625 and SD835 have much better GPUs than the SD650. You can't go off that benchmark number alone to judge CPU performance.

>Google camera mod on advanced HDR+ mode takes a good fucking 3 seconds to process one image because the CPU is too burdened.
It uses HVX (and the DSP, duh) for processing.
It would be faster on 845 since 685 is like ~3 times faster than 682 in 835.

>Antutu
Weren't we talking CPU&memory perf?

>t. retard

Mi a2 or note5?

Attached: 1509792356814.png (850x574, 66K)

youtu.be/tboUCctZJzA
youtu.be/rGG-xDR9LAY
I'm not seeing these amazing, drastic differences here. As previously mentioned, game loading times is superior on the 835.

I just read that the S9 Active is launching soon-ish.

Is there any info ob whether or not it will support Treble?

Seems like the perfect phone for me.

>Both the SD625 and SD835 have much better GPUs than the SD650
Wrong, SD625 had a Adreno 506, which is slightly slower than the Adreno 510 in the 650. Also, Antutu gives individual scores for the GPU and CPU, 625 scores 38k and 650 43k in CPU. In Geekbench (a CPU benchmark) SD625 scores ~900 in single core and ~4300 in multicore vs 650 at 1300 single core, 2600 multicore.

So going back to what I said in the beginning, yes SD650 has higher performance but the difference is small enough that there is barely any noticeable difference in regular everyday use outside of gaming.

No, were talking overall performance.

Meant for

>speed test
>tests storage while barely touching memory
What did you mean by that?

No. I've owned a Redmi 3S. Along with 7 other xiaomi phones.

The SD430 in that phone even with 3gb RAM was absolutely destitute. I felt bad for the person I sold it to because when they wanted to play Fallout Shelter on it the loading screen was almost a 5 minute long thing.

>No, were talking overall performance.
Then run a fucking SPEC2006.

That's just Xiaomi's shitty bloaty MIUI. My Moto G5 with a SD430 had no issues with loading times or lag

>while barely touching memory
He tested multitasking and RAM app retention though. Not with benchmarking apps to be fair.

>In Geekbench (a CPU benchmark) SD625 scores ~900 in single core and ~4300 in multicore vs 650 at 1300 single core, 2600 multicore.

So where did you get those numbers from? Because I just ran Geekbench on SD650 and got something far different from what you said? Why are you just making up shit?

Attached: JAQ26x1_d.jpg (640x1138, 35K)

>He tested multitasking and RAM app retention though.
That's not exactly memory-intensive loads.
Any phone with decent RAM management would do okay.

It's depressing that the only Xiaomi phone that ticks off all of my requirements is the Mi Max 2.
Mi Max 3 has removed the IR blaster and the slight increase in size means it doesn't fit in my phone mount.

All the other Xiaomi's current phone have some sort of compromise.

My Mi Max 2 has
Type C (all redmi phones have microusb)
dual speakers (all redmi phones have single speaker)
MicroSD slot, (almost all the new xiaomi (not redmi) phones have removed the sd slot.)
Headphone jack (almost all the new xiaomi and some redmi phones have removed the headphone jack.)
IR blaster, not a hard requirement, but would be nice to have.
Dual Sim, this is easy enough.
6" or larger screen but under 175mm*88mm, ideally I'd need it to be under 85mm to fit a gimbal mount and 88mm for a regular mount.
4G/64G or 6G/128G

Fucking phone manufacturers removing the headphone jack and sd slot.

androidcentral.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-pro-benchmarks-snapdragon-636
I think the scores are different from stock because you're on a custom ROM

I can live with losing the SD card slot, after all I got cucked by a 16 gb nexus 5 (2013) that i still use to this day, but losing the jack is just too fucking much RE.
Wireless headphones are for niggers

They aren't. The whole reason i went and ran the rest is because i knew this phone has always gotten 3500 multicore out of the box.

I'm running 64+128gb sd card and looking to moving to 240/256gb card soon. Why the fuck do phones advertise 4K video recording when they don't have an sd card slot.

A video with only a few minutes takes up multiple gigabytes, you virtually cannot take more than a few videos on a week long trip unless you lug around something else to offload videos to.

youtu.be/5LKThf9KWjs
But Mi Max 3 hasn't lost the IR blaster, you can clearly see it here. Also, what kind of a phone mount can't stretch to fit bigger devices?

>Mi Max 2 has dual speakers
Nigger, it doesn't

holy shit i never thought about 4k video since my phone is only capable of 1080p. Tell me more, can you tell me how much storage does 1 minute of 4k video take up?

Most motorcycle mounts can not fit phones larger than 6.2"
I have to basically jam my mi max 2 into the mount, and most other mounts are smaller than the one I have.

Also there isn't a 3 axis gimbal on the market that can take the Mi Max 2, not even Xiaomi's own gimbal mount.

Also just ran Antutu on the SD650 for anyone curious.

Attached: PW0svFI_d.jpg (640x1138, 45K)

It does, the earpiece functions as a second speaker in landscape mode, though it's not very good.

A 21 second video is 104mb, so a conservative rough estimate would be half a gig per minute.

Attached: Xiaomi-Mi-Max-2-20.jpg (1200x675, 34K)

You're on the high end of the spectrum, lucky you.

Attached: rn3.png (1162x920, 93K)

thanks a lot mate, godspeed

It just means my phone is clean. The retards getting 2200 and so on probably have a lot of apps making noise in the background. I have never seen below 3000 multicore in any ROM. You can't expect pajeet to give you anything accurate ever.

>It does, the earpiece functions as a second speaker in landscape mode, though it's not very good
What a gimmick. Can it be be disabled at least?

Dad wayciss, man! Delete

No, at least I can't find a switch to toggle it.