Best DE

best DE

Attached: KDE Plasma.png (1920x1080, 645K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(software)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME#GNOME_3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Shell
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OP is a homosexual

This

At least the OP is not a GNOMElet.

But that's not Lumina, user.

KDE has a really bad problem where it lacks polish to really make it feel like a nice, special UI. Something about it just looks painfully amateur and off.

Am I the only one who uses GNOME3?

I have no problems with it at all, what do people usually complain about with GNOME other than that you can't rice it as much?

Makes sense, they usually have good taste in design.

Krashes

never ever.

trying to configure KDE through the GUI/menu was the most painful thing I've ever done

Lol

It's unusable. That's about it. It's also easy to rice if you know how, and you can do all kinds of CSS3 wizardry tricks since it's skinned with CSS, but it's unnecessarily complicated. KDE is easy to customize.

In which ways is it unusable?

That boomer who actually uses a DE

Not him, but it leaks memory out of its ass every time you use the overview. Consequences are slowdowns in animations and MOUSE cursor. It's extremely backwater that they tie the mouse to the an outdated javascript engine from firefox. It's even worse in wayland mode.

This

Also this

I use KDE Neon and Ive never had an issue of the sort, unless I switch into wayland in which case my intel IGP shits the bed

Alright, thanks. Never really noticed the memory leak, and I don't have much RAM

I also saw that you can disable animations entirely, but I've never tried it

>Am I the only one who uses GNOME3
Hopefully

also,

is there something similar to GNOME that doesn't have these issues? I don't really like using normal desktops and Im not a big fan of i3

I tried KDE and it's good but the conflicts I get between gtk and qt themes ruins it for me. I wish there was a DE like KDE but based on gtk. Cinnamon is the closes there is now and that's what I'm using. but it's not as customizable and doesn't have as many extensions.

>I also saw that you can disable animations entirely, but I've never tried it
Yeah that works too. Problem is, i have a moderately huge amount of desktop files and as soon as i switch overview to the one where i can browse all of them it just freezes and unfreezes every few seconds until it loads all of them.
It's such a basic feature that they had to deal with in earlier gnome implementations that i honestly doubt that the redhat devs know what their are doing. Well, they basically use a browser for the shell so they are probably "front-end developers" anyway. Don't know what to expect from the inevitable gnome4, hopefully something more sane.
There is pantheon/budgie/cinnamon/mate, all of them are build on earlier gnome tech so many of them share similar issues but with "totally modified and fixed drawing pipeline" (quote form the devs, don't believe their lies). pantheon/budgie are the only ones with a bar on top, everyone else tries to follow windows and KDE is king for that format.

>themes
There are only a handful of themes that work good for both, the shipped breeze themes, arc and adapta. Everything else is shit until kde ships a gtk breeze theme with custom color support, like they did in the past.

I don't really care about the bar on top on GNOME, might as well be on the bottom or gone completely, but I like the dashboard and I haven't seen a DE that also has this properly done

I tried KDE many times and I hated it every time. I just don't like the windows-like desktops with a taskbar and start menu-like things, and basically any DE other than GNOME has it that way, LXDE, MATE, Xfce, Cinnamon, etc... I kind of like LXQt even though its basicallythe same thing again

Does making a shortcut to an executable still require manually making and coding a .desktop file?
Did they go through with the removal of desktop icons?
Did they make a proper thumbnail view?
Gnome has so much shit removed from it and lacks a lot of basic functionality and yet it's just getting heavier and heavier as a DE.

There is a sort of fullscreen dashboard for kde and you can replace the normal startmenu with it. The edges are modifiable to show the menu instead of whatever it's currently doing. That makes it basically act like gnome but not as smooth as it since it lacks showing opened windows.

>Does making a shortcut to an executable still require manually making and coding a .desktop file?
>Did they go through with the removal of desktop icons?

I don't really know to be honest, I don't use those

>Did they make a proper thumbnail view?
Never had a problem with thumbnails, but I haven't been using GNOME for very long either

>Gnome has so much shit removed from it and lacks a lot of basic functionality and yet it's just getting heavier and heavier as a DE.
This is true

desktop icons aren't a thing unless you enable them through gnome-tweaks. but the other shit you mentioned is there and it does piss me off. as far as i know you can't make a shortcut in the application menu yourself without fucking around with .desktop files. thumbnails work, except you can't set specific folders to thumbnails or a list or a specific level of zoom - it's all fucking global.

and no, Firefox file picker still does not have a thumbnail view.

>thumbnails work, except you can't set specific folders to thumbnails or a list or a specific level of zoom - it's all fucking global.
Isn't this an issue with Nautilus/Files and not GNOME itself?

before I using GAHNOO LINEKS I was under the impression that everything about your desktop is easily customisable. now I think that's not the case at all. you have several flavours to choose from, but none of them will behave exactly the way you want them to, and good luck trying to modify their behaviour. you also have the option to use a minimal DE which effectively means building one from scratch, so why would anyone complain? ;)

yes, kde is comfy

>Something about it just looks painfully amateur and off.
This is Linux in general

GNOME is a desktop environment and Nautilus is a part of it. don't be an autist. better yet, offer an alternative.

Yes, but my point is that nautilus is easily replacable with any file manager you like. Just like noone uses Epiphany and Konqueror as a browser, or some will replace gnome-mpv with a different player. Nautilus is really not an integral part of GNOME you couldn't replace

Thunar and PCMan-FM would be GTK+ alternatives and there are some more if you like QT

>I have a burden of choice instead of being stuck with one thing. As such my options are too broad and I can't admit that because of this I'm frozen and can't find exactly what I want and I'm too ignorant or lazy to try to change it. Windows and Mac OS are better for not letting me choose alternative options without completely replacing the native shell and possibly fucking my functionality.
ftfy

no, but I am.

Attached: anime.webm (1280x720, 2.28M)

Dolphin is ugly.

ur mom is ugly

That's why I chose yours to fuck

i have 20+ options yet none of them do what i want them to do, nor do they provide me with any options to change that.

delet

>CLOCK

gay

MATE (aka GNOME 2) is the best DE.

and as if to prove my point, Nautilus, PCMan-FM, and Thunar do not let you set a custom view for each folder. meanwhile Nemo lets you do it, but then it also does stupid shit like pic related (as of 2012 lmao).

at some point you just have to draw the line and stop giving a fuck about customisation and just use a distro with the least infuriating defaults, because they're all broken and shit in one way or another.

perhaps the open source community could learn a thing or two from MS or Apple and have maybe a couple of DEs / file managers that give you at least some options to customise their behaviour, instead of having 20+ broken, unsupported, uncustomizable pieces of trash. but sure, it'll happen when hell freezes over.

Attached: ohwow.png (996x888, 135K)

>could learn a thing or two from MS or Apple and have maybe a couple of DEs / file managers that give you at least some options to customise their behaviour
Like what? Offering explorer and finder to go with the default shell? Ms and Apple don't give you alternative options. If you decide to use something else to fulfill a feature it's going to be missing a feature or require a workaround. Maybe you need to quit acting like proprietary os sw isn't doing the same thing. Offering sane defaults with some options and likely not going to please everyone. Maybe you need to quit being picky and realize 20+ > 1. Explorer and finder aren't perfect either they're just the only game in town.

missed the chance to call him son

>Am I the only one who uses GNOME3?
No, of course not. A lot of people use Cinnamon.

You guys do know GNOME3 and Cinnamon are the same thing configured differently... right...?

>MATE
>a continuation of GNOME2

>Cinnamon
>GNOME3 made to look more like GNOME2

Don't be an autist

You know he meant gnome-shell

yes

No. Just fuck right off. No one likes gnome 3 don't pretend mate or cinnamon are anything but a reaction to gnome 3.

nice webm

Attached: ily 1421484380791.webm (460x696, 2.89M)

>Maybe you need to quit being picky
you're right. i realised looking for alternatives and reporting bugs to FOSS community gets you nowhere. that's why i said i'll suck it up and stick with the least annoying default configuration.

>20+ > 1. Explorer and finder aren't perfect either they're just the only game in town
yet either one is miles better than any FOSS file manager.

>Offering sane defaults with some options and likely not going to please everyone.
ok, bud.

SPA

>gay
>fondles mancans
>wears chick jeans
Ohhhh that's why people say they're just confused!

He specifically said GNOME3. Not gnome-shell, the package. Not GNOME, which could include any. He even wrote it in all caps. He clearly meant what he wrote.

>No one likes gnome 3
Cinnamon is way more popular than MATE. I don't like it, but it's the truth. And being a reaction to the monumental fuckup that is GNOME3, is irrelevant.

Even if I wrote GNOME3 it means exactly what I wrote and only what I wrote.

I mean GNOME3, not MATe, not Cinnamon, not any fork

You know exactly what I meant

>GNOME3
>not Cinnamon
You've got some homework to do.

Attached: 1435931243132.jpg (255x252, 20K)

Its forked from GNOME3's GNOME Shell

How would you like a bite of this terd sandwich I made? Don't worry, I changed one of the letters in the name, so it's totally not the same thing.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1280x720, 43K)

>you're right. i realised looking for alternatives and reporting bugs to FOSS community gets you nowhere. that's why i said i'll suck it up and stick with the least annoying default configuration
You sound lazy. You don't miss options in explorer or finder. You get what you get too.

>yet either one is miles better than any FOSS file manager.
Yet you haven't said what's so great about them. Just said oh well they're miles better. It makes your already whiny entitled posts sound like they're coming from a butt sucking idiot.

>ok, bud.
Not an argument.

I'm not going to give you any more (you)s. Maybe don't use a Linux based os if you find a deal breaker in your file manager. You're not here to have a conversation just bitch about how you don't like it because it doesn't do this 'one ' thing. It's not for you.

the best DE is no DE

>

>Blink = WebKit
>libreSSL = OpenSSL
>libav = ffmpeg
>Ubuntu = Debian

Quit beeing a retard.

Its a different project, different codebase and it clearly says on the fucking source readme that its using a GNOME Shell fork.

Fuck off

stfu

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(software)
>Cinnamon is a free and open-source desktop environment for the X Window System that derives from GNOME 3 but follows traditional desktop metaphor conventions.
>desktop environment for the X Window System that derives from GNOME 3 but follows
>X Window System that derives from GNOME 3 but
>derives from GNOME 3

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME#GNOME_3
>Previously GNOME used the traditional desktop metaphor, but in GNOME 3 this was replaced with GNOME Shell
>GNOME 3 this was replaced with GNOME Shell
>GNOME 3 ... GNOME Shell

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Shell
>GNOME Shell is the graphical shell of the GNOME desktop environment starting with version 3
>GNOME Shell
>GNOME desktop
>version 3

It's almost like they're the same or something!

Do I have to google everything for you, or can you be a big boy and do your own homework?

All of the links say exactly what I said

go troll someone else

Oh you said Cinnamon and GNOME3 are the same?

My bad. I guess I misunderstood.

Like I said, go troll someone else

Do your homework next time, faggot.

And get a real DE.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (419x292, 23K)

whatever you say bud

Budgie.

What handles multiple monitors better, KDE or GNOME?

Look at this loser, using a DE. Command line masterrace.

KDE.

KDE handles multiple workspaces better, as for screens I can't say. I never used both on multiple monitors.

XFCE > LXQT > MATE > GNOME > KDE

No,
Xfce / KDE > Budgie > MATE > trash > LXDE > GNOME > LXQT

I use Gnome and KDE.I prefer Gnome, but I don't mind Kubuntu. It's far from perfect,but it's different enough that it's kind of fun to use when I'm feeling lazy.

Memory leaks were fixed.

Doesn't make the de better. It's still heavily dependent on system d and since gnome 3 is developed be rhel that's why system d took over.

it depents only on logind afaik. I use GNOME on GuixSD which doesn't use systemd. It has elogind which is only the logind part extracted from systemd.

yea, but dolphin is shit

no futures, no bugs. huge plus.

Attached: spazma.png (1920x1080, 740K)

FUCK GNOME AND FUCK GNOME PIPO

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-24 17-39-22.png (1600x900, 459K)

>should be hidden
then hide it you nigger

I need muh whisker menu.

No way. It puts windows on random screens and will set whatever monitor wakes up fastest is the primary monitor briefly. Which causes all kinds of problems especially if you try wayland. If you turn on a monitor when the screen is locked sddm also has a high chance to freeze. Kde multiple monitor support is absolutely awful.

Xfce

I don't use that piece of shit but I did briefly

I like kde alot but its too annoying to use on a daily basis. I used it for a couple of months but just switched back to gnome and got a bunch of extensions. I need my dash to dock and hot corner. I don't like the way kde handles multiple desktops. Kwin also really sucks in some aspects. It's less laggy then mutter but it always seems to mess with videos and video games on my setup. I'll give kde another shot when wayland gets more stable. Last time I tried the wayland version it fixed all my kwin issues which seemed to have been caused by vsync but it was missing critical functions like window previews.

Looking good, KDE!

Attached: plane.jpg (900x600, 138K)