Other urls found in this thread:

openfabrics.org/images/eventpresos/2017presentations/213_CCIXGen-Z_BBenton.pdf
realworldtech.com/intels-3dxp-dimms/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

dunno
what's your reason for wanting to

>1 & done
yeah fuck you too

When Applel successfully remove 3.5mm jack from all PC.

Why would we? It works perfectly fine.

We're not even close to begin using 10 bits of the 16 that are on the PCI-E on any conceivable hardware that exists. The PCI is here to stay for another long time.

It's just going to be like ethernet: same thing just revised specs for faster speeds.

The only thing that could possibly kill it is if thunderbolt gets a 10-100x speed boost or single-board computers get significantly powerful enough that they usurp the pc market.

16x pci-e 5.0 has enough bandwidth for literally any and all known, unknown, and top secret non-volatile data storage devices in any configuration.

PCI Express 5.0 isn't even out yet.
It's not the 90s anymore were they just abandoned standards left and right.

Maybe It'll last 20 more years or maybe they'll never replace it like the over a century old 6.35 mm jack used by professional equipment and certain screw heads. It's not like Moore's Law is ringing all that true anymore.

>PCI-E
>m.2
>Thunderbolt 3
>USB 3.1

Is this really what endgame looks like?

>USB-C graphics card
>USB-C SSD
>USB-C front panel IO
>USB-C PSU
>USB-C CPU
>USB-C RAM
>USB-C WAN Card
>USB-C fans
>USB-C dragon dildo
I personally can't wait.

Give me one reason why we should.

Exactly, you have no argument, just shitposts.

pci to usb c cards are flooding ebay

Those are actually useful tho.

How long until we can just drop all the components in a case, and have them all powered and connected wirelessly?

>standard that exists for more than 100 years
>fuckton easy to use and reliable since everyone knows it
>even old people knows it's used for headphones and microphones and audio accessories
>a fucking Apple suddenly decide it's deprecated without providing a worthy substitute
>tech companies follows apple like shills and began to remove the jack from their products, beginning with phones for absolutely no discernible reason than the fact apple did it.
I don't know if in my entire life I will be able to hate some existing matter more than that company has accomplished to make me hate it, because even 2 years after that fuck up I'm still filled with pure rage for what they did at the industry.

But user isn't it a massive improvement to need to use either an annoying dongle or headphones that you need to sync and charge instead of just plugging into a thing? I'm sure that Bluetooth standard will still be supported 20 years from now if you want to keep using them, too :^)

i get what you mean but
>any apple product lasting 10+ years

I'm not suggesting an Apple product, I'm suggesting your headphones. Unless you're subjecting yourself to Airpods in which case it's a moot point.
Though in all fairness, I've got my own old iPod from about ten years ago and an even older model I inherited from an uncle still batting about. Not all their consumer electronics output has been trash.

Thunderbolt is PCIe.

PCI Express is more or less doubling it's speed with each successive version, there really isn't a need for something to replace it.

I was meaning more in terms of the slot factor than what serial signal is transmitted over the wire.

what do you suggest? going back to parallel interfaces?

Intel dont want it.
CPU manufactures need implement high speed interconnection in CPU.

openfabrics.org/images/eventpresos/2017presentations/213_CCIXGen-Z_BBenton.pdf

Never, it was hard enough to move to PCIE as it is.

Some boards still have PCI.
We're getting PCIE 4th gen soon as that has been finalized.

OpenCAPI is already being used in the enterprise space because it reduces latency vs PCIe.

We already have PCIe 4.0

Attached: opencapi-consortium-logo.png (290x80, 4K)

I hope not. Why the fuck do we need more standards on top of standards?

Look at the cluster fuck that USB 3.0c created.

In all fairness, iPods were from an era where apple produced shits that just worked.
You know, back when HIM was still alive.
I sense every year passing from when Jobs died, Apple knows less and less of what the fuck to do to stay in the market.

It'd be very interesting to see where Apple was today if two of their product lines hadn't ascended to mainstream status symbol. I don't think they'd be getting particularly far if not for the fact people now buy iPhones and Macbooks on name alone and that's even without getting into the fucking mess that is the i9 model.

>tfw USB-C can only be 1 meter long

Attached: but-why.gif (581x327, 3.72M)

Although USB Type C can theoretically support 100w, I've had the connector on my phone run hot with just 18w on the original cable.

I'd hate to see what happens when people try to push watts down a cheap china cable.

5.0 is about 10 years too late.

>We already have PCIe 4.0
There's no consumer grade stuff yet afaik.

Well, fucking AMD, lagging in support with only PCIE 3.0 again like the older gen only having PCIE 2.0.

>USB-C CPU
>USB-C RAM
Please no, it's terrifying

m.2 is just PCIe with different connectors/form factor, and Thunderbolt is just tunnelled PCIe.

why would you not want this

>When will we move past PCI-E?
GenZ
Omnibus
Nvlink

Good bait.
Pic related is 3 m

Attached: IMG_20180724_174621_HDR.jpg (4160x2340, 2.87M)

You're absolutely fucking retarded.

that's not a Gen2

Attached: a3jgV.png (1070x407, 54K)

Explain

>dis mongoloid

We'll move past pcie when we start using single slot gpus as a normal thing. Eventually we'll realize we need something else that works faster and takes less room and then it will take on

Same as Intel; IBM Power is where its at bro.

plenty of 6.6ft Type C USB 3.1 Gen2 cables on amazon.

I just hope there won't be a repeat of fucking AM3 being stuck on PCIE 2.0 forever.

What's your problem? I hold this cable in my hands right now, it's real, it's 3 meters long and it works like a charm.

>posted from my 12 year old Mac Pro

AMD was planning on 4.0 in 2020 from what I've read most recently

Running TenFourFox I assume?

as if that matter to non-brainlets

>TenFourFox
>Mac Pro
I know that Jow Forums hates Apple, but I least I expect them to know their product line.

Where you running a Fibre Channel card for that matters or are a /v/ man baby that believes that GPUs get benefited of PCI 3.0?

Idiot.

>/v/ man baby that believes that GPUs get benefited of PCI 3.0?
They do when you run your meme learning workloads on them.

>I know that Jow Forums hates Apple, but I least I expect them to know their product line.
Get used to disappointment.

Wait, what's going on? I bought several 2 meter USB 3 to USB C cables from Amazon/Anker. They seem to work just fine. Why am I and so literally retarded that everyone refuses to explain why?

Intel has non-volatile storage capable of being connected via the memory signaling interface.

>Posted from my 16 year old PowerMac G4
>Intlel
>Running the best browser ever
Yeah nah

Attached: Picture 1.png (1920x1200, 588K)