Why are CPUs so expensive?

Why are CPUs so expensive?

Attached: What-is-CPU-Featured-670x335.jpg (670x335, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KmSLfp0r4Kk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: Capture.png (740x182, 80K)

Not shown: the $100+ motherboards that are even MORE scarce because of Xeon meme builds. The same shit happened with LGA 775 boards when people starting grabbing $20 Xeons and a sticker

Jews

Attached: Capture.png (1304x679, 477K)

???????????

8c/16t Ryzen 2700X for 299 jewros, cheap as fuak

what's the production cost of a cpu?

Attached: cricket1-700-c.jpg (700x409, 60K)

Attached: 34636346436.png (791x989, 332K)

CPUs are *very* cheap due to decades of Moore's conjecture making them cheaper for so many subsequent generations, almost unlike anything else.

About every developed nation poorfag can afford a few fast ones.

CPUs have never been so cheap, thanks to AMD actually providing competition now. In 2015 Skylake was a rip-off.

There is absolutely no cheap way to use a 1366 Xeon, since only primo X58 boards of yore can do that (sometimes)

Attached: 3523525.png (802x1033, 303K)

Research and development, as well as producing a single CPU wafer costing millions.

my crappy msi board i got for even cheaper than the screenshot and my x5650 at 4.2ghz on a cheap air cooler say otherwise

Congrats, you got it before it became a meme and had to settle for a shitty $50 barebones Dell board

Attached: 123414124.png (804x985, 315K)

um

Chinese maker Huanan makes brand new x58 and x79 motherboards starting from $75~140 and dual socket x79 for under $200

If you don't mind dealing with a few server-related problems HP Proliants are pretty cheap on ebay (Gen6 and up are not total shit)
I am using an Hp Proliant Dl360 g7 with dual X5660s for under $200 (32GiB RAM included)

Now link me the listing so I can see just how much of a bargain it is here in Oregon

Do Xeon processors function just like an ordinary i5 or i7?

>i can't buy it so it isn't a viable option for anyone

Because they are hard to make.
Because lots of rnd went to make it.
but in reality they are not expensive. You buy 300jewro cpu and it will last you long time.

they lack an igpu but otherwise yes

i bought a 1000euro x56 i7 965 Extreme in 2009, whole setup cost around 3000euro, I feel I overpaid

>I feel
That will teach you to buy things you need not "add said this is most powah thing".
Also you bought intel, so you definitely overpaid.

I wonder how expensive manufacturing is, or is it just because of research? Also is the big difference between an entry CPU and a high end CPU justified?

It is. Read up on cpu binning

Attached: hkbMEl5.gif (400x213, 1.36M)

Quite often, several CPUs or GPUs in a given range will all be the same silicon. The difference is that the highest end components are the fully featured and functional ones, while the lower end parts may be ones capable of lower stable clock speeds or with die issues where it's still mostly functional but not completely. Chips are 'binned' into different model types depending on how well they function. An i7 8700K is higher binned than an 8700, which is in turn higher binned than an i5 8600. So you're essentially paying for the fact that you're getting the better selection out of the production run, partially at least.
This is only true up to a point, of course. A modern Pentium isn't a very poorly binned i7 and a GT 1030 isn't a very, very dodgy 1080.

That help at all?

>One of the greatest achievements of mankind
>So advanced it took thousands of years of engineering before we could create it.
>Billions of transistors located on one small piece of hardware
>Just building a factory that builds them costs more than many countries GDP
>Think that paying 200-400 dollars for it is expensive

I swear to GOD some people

Because they are really hard to design and develop.

Thanks famalam

R&D

they are not lmao

get a job.

If you want to read up on just why things like this are needed, go read up on the Pentium Pro and how it influenced not just the design but the form factor of the Pentium 2 line.

>CPU expensive
>not RAM
sage

Capitalism

>
>Not shown: the $100+ motherboards
That's called backpedaling

I feel your pain.

Try surplus gizmos they usually get server grade hardware in and sell it for relatively cheap.

RAM and video cards are the biggest kikery in electronics thanks to buttcoin LARPers. Mobos and CPUs are cheap.

Video cards are coming back down because the crypto bubble exploded and now miners are losing their houses

RAM is expensive because the 3 companies that produce over 90% of the world's DRAM are fixing prices, and are about to be slammed with fines in China, likely to be hit with fines in the EU, and if we're lucky, might get fined in the US as well.

Other than that, yeah, motherboards and CPUs are cheap. You can get a 2c/4t coffee lake pentium and motherboard for just over $100. Not bad at all.

>extremely specialized equipment
>Expensive raw materials
>Everything has to be done with ultra high purity in low particle environment
>Nanometer scale precision

Gee op, idk, seems like it should be real cheap

Attached: 20140404091416533e69d88a5d2.jpg (300x200, 86K)

Have you tried making your own?

Ignore brainlets itt. I'm not even reading the thread because they're surely all wrong.

The real answer is: Engineering cost, fab infrastructure cost, yield, and finally marketability.

Engineering cost: These devices are at the absolute forefront of human engineering capability. Good engineers get good salaries.
Fab infrastructure cost: The factories that make these are huge incredible monsters with the most cutting edge equipment, and staffing them isn't cheap either.
Yield: Not every CPU made passes muster. As we chase smaller transistors the error rate goes up until we can figure out how to make them with fewer issues. These failed CPUs cost money to make but can't be sold, so their production goes into the cost of the product you buy.
Marketability: What will a person pay for a CPU with X performance? This is a pretty dynamic equation.

>>Expensive raw materials
hello brainlet

Crack cocaine and hookers

Third post, best post

Electrical engineer here to explain to y'all basement dwellers why making cpu isn't that cheap. The most obvious reason is: development costs, but another one is that they're not easy to mass produce.
You see, setting aside the fact that a wafer cost a lot due to the insane purity required, CPUs are manufactured layer upon layer using photolithografy, where each step can require quite some time (if I remember correctly it's in the order of minutes for doping agents to embed in the silicon matrix) and there're a lot of them.
Each minute you pass rolling your thumb, countless money goes burn.

Can you 3d print a CPU?

Attached: 1525370061055.jpg (547x612, 101K)

nobody is this dumb...
you're just trolling...... right?

Attached: nani the fuck.gif (370x300, 177K)

I wonder who could be behind this post!

>samefagging this hard

>Ignore me

Pair it with older OEM motherboards that go for ~$20-$30

I guess it technically already is?

I bought a Haslel Xeon and used it on my shit H81 board. $75 for the processor, so a bit more than the X5650, but still a good deal IMO. Only works if you are upgrading unfortunately since H81 boards are getting rare now.

I would not trust anything from a Chinese manufacturer to last more than a year or two.

Try making one yourself genius.

I would say that most of the price is the robots.
When you buy a chip, you're literally renting robots to build stuff for you.

Unless you find a way to make transistors with an extruder no.
But you certainly can laser cut and pick and place one.

It's more about the R&D for CPU's really.

You can get these beasts for nothing nowadays.

Attached: s.png (1338x543, 293K)

>projecting like faggot pretending you ""know"" how and who is posting here
i won't even ss your pathetic ass

>MXM II 9600M GT 1GB DDR3
>$400

Who the fuck pays that

For personal use pretty much. Typically slower since they require registered ecc memory. But you would likely never know the difference. They are much less power efficient so take that into account. If you are a normal user and won't see benefits from large caches, you might as well get the i5 or i7 and save some bucks on power.

I have unlimited access to one gen old server equipment and I still don't run one at home. Drivers are not optimized, some don't play well with some video cards. They are built for a purpose but engineered specifically for that purpose.

Best answer here. Not to mention that factory has to be rebuilt essentially every five years or so.

Someone trying to restore a retro laptop?

>27GHz
wat

Attached: 1524805644321.jpg (471x480, 21K)

>being poor

hmm i wonder

what

So people can not install gentoo easily

5 cents of sand and copper

Plus 80 dollars of robot time to arrange this sand and copper (and arsenic) into a chip.

Billions of dollars of R&D and tooling

youtube.com/watch?v=KmSLfp0r4Kk

(while it's about flash memory, it's pretty much the same shit with CPUs. it's the only one that actually shows how chips are made instead of "how to glue the already made CPU to the case and glue the pins in"

But the tl'dr is "a fuckton of robots"

Why are you so poor?

AMD can convince Laws of Physics to stop acting with love and care, instead of bribing them like Intel does.

nobody is dumb enough to fall for this troll...
he is so obvious...
right?

Attached: 1519746969607.jpg (239x210, 13K)

because no chinese competition

wrong question. Why motherboards ARE expensive? back in my day 150 usd is already high-end motherboard, with decent VRM heatsinks. now 150 is still "midrange". fucking shit.

why is the 6700K that I bought 2 years ago still roughly the same price? What's Chaim up to.

Intel doesn't slash prices

No significant market incentive for prices to drop. That 6700K doesn't quite perform like an 8700K but it's still no massively obsolete slouch.
That and people aiming to keep older motherboards and PCs competitive with upgrades may be willing to pay slightly more than they should in the name of not having to replace everything else with it.