Thoughts on Elementary OS?

Thoughts on Elementary OS?

Attached: ELE.jpg (251x201, 7K)

Use solus

Why?

It provides a macOS-esque , polished UI out of the box. has a stable package manager , doesn't break often . I find it to be better than elementary OS having used both.

Solus broke after the first update for me, lol. Not using that shiet again.

What is it with Linux distros always copying the UI and design of Mac OS or Windows or something like that, it's so cringy, like when people had OSX themes on their Windows XP installation, can Linuxfags really not just afford a real computer?

>copy
Yah... windows copied quite a bit from linux. Took 'inspiration' too. But you were too young to notice.

Solus is one of the most brainlet friendly distro out there. How can you fuck that up?

No usable desktop is a major design flaw.
Also,
>Latest release 0.4.1 "Loki" / 17 May 2017; 13 months ago[1]
Legacy.

I'm talking GUI stuff now mostly.
If you take a look at distros like Solus and Chromixium they are basically same shitty Linux disguised as a real operating system, and i'm just wondering why do linux people feel the need to rip off other operating systems and not come up with an original design, and when they do like with Ubuntu and it's amazon adware and a sidebar instead of a bar at the bottom or the top - it looks like shit? Why can't Linux look good, or at least be different enough for people to be able to immediately recognise it?

It's elementary, my dear watson.

It's trash

Sidebar is objectively superior to having a bottom panel, retard.

it's objectively inferior, a 16;9 computer monitor is made in mind with either a top or a bottom panel, a sidebar is ugly as shit and an inefficient use of space, it's not even acceptable on a tablet, nvm a real computer

based
not based

You're retarded

Pantheon is a real nice fork of GNOME, and its native applications are actually not bad.
That said, however, the eOS release cycle being a year behind Ubuntu LTS makes me wish the whole thing was more portable (you can put pantheon elswhere but it'll be broken as hell) so it would be made into an Ubuntu flavor or even put on Debian and others.
Also, the wallpapers are really, really nice.

>hurr you're retarded
great argument, very typical of Ubuntu fans

ITT windows invented bottom panel

What argument has been made against a sidebar? It's literally made to have less wasted space yet the retard is saying it somehow wastes more space.

the retard is right, sidebars are shit. bottom panel or no panel.

>have a 16:9 screen
>meaning longer horizontally than vertically
>smart people design UI of an OS
>"Let's put the task bar on the bottom, it'll be a horizontal line so more stuff will fit on it as opposed to having it vertical because the screen is literally longer horizontally"
>most content is widescreen so space at the top and bottom can be used for UI without taking away from the experience anyway
>Fast forward to now
>Dumbass you is being a huge faggot and arguing that having a turd on the side of the screen that can't fit as much information on it and also interferes with widescreen content like this very website
>"hurr durr made to save space"
no it isn't, it doesn't, and it looks like shit on top of that,

Wasted space

>more stuff will fit
You have serious issues if this is a concern.
>interferes with widescreen content like this very website
Majority of websites aren't even made for widescreen, and bottom panel interferes with website like this where you want to see more shit vertically. Which is the whole point.
>looks like shit
You're a retarded babyduck, fuck off with your shit """arguments"""

>you have serious issues if you use the task bar
???
>want to see shit more vertically
but nobody does, and it never interferes, even this old-ass website or even reddit are made for widescreen

>pointing out displeasing aesthetics is not an argument
>babyduck
okay, whatever you say kiddo, just don't forget to take your meds

Looks pretty, cracks start to show when you try to do anything outside of the provided software

i've not used it extensively, but after my daughter fucked up her macbook pro, i bought a T430 and installed eOS on it. seems to be solid and she's able to figure out how to use it. i haven't had to answer any questions or fix any fucked up shit with it.

i'd recommend it for any neophytes or luddites in your family.

>personal preferences
The entire conversation is retarded, the idiot just started it by saying "vertical panels are worse" when it simply isn't the case. And you're also retarded for thinking ad hominem is a valid argument, it just makes me care about your post even less.
>babyduck
Yes, the entire preference of that user is most likely based on the fact that he used windows for 20 years and then didn't like Ubuntu or it's UI so he started trashing it over some shitty personal preference whenever he gets the chance. I can't take retards like that seriously.

>you have serious issues if you use the task bar
Why are you flooding it with icons? You're arguing about muh screen space and productivity yet are clearly not efficient yourself. Not everyone has 20 shortcuts and open windows at the same time.
>but nobody does
I do, and so do a lot of people otherwise nobody would make vertical panels.

>not everyone
but most do, and for those who do horizontal is much nicer
>used windows
i'm a Linux user as well i just use Mint over shit-Buntu and i'm just curious why Linux always looks like shit compared to any real operating system, even Mint with Cinnamon, KDE is close, but just very bland
>otherwise nobody would make vertical panels
pretty much nobody does lmfao

>most do
Because it's the default, no other reason. This is a non-argument.
>Mint over shit-Buntu
You're shitting on a better distro on which mint is based. IQ 10.
>pretty much nobody does lmfao
Windows 10

> Win 10 UI is a rip-off of KDE Plasma
> Workspaces lifted off of Linux
> Toast notifications copied from Linux
> Sidebar copied from Unity
> HUD copied from Unity

Do you honestly think anybody who worked on Windows UI ever even looked at more than Ubuntu? And it doesn't even look close and i'm an actual KDE Plasma user.
>*Workspaces lifted from Mac OS
>*Toast notifications lifted off Mac OS
>Sidebar
sidebar? What fucking sidebar? Kek, there's no side-bar in windows unless you set your taskbar that way which is an option that has existed since ages ago
>HUD
lol

Its DE gave me some strange artifacts(glitch?) for my GT240 GPU so I just uninstalled.

>kek
Kys