32GiB of RAM

>32GiB of RAM
>GiB

What did he mean by this?

Attached: 1468784983273.jpg (500x500, 63K)

gibibyte

also get out

GiB is Gibibyte. Base 2 instead of Base 10.

1 GiB = 1024 MiB (2^30)
1 GB = 1000 MB (10^3)

Now get out.

What a retarded unit of measure, no wonder nobody uses it.

Why even come up with a new word that sounds way more retarded and is literally less efficient to write, just to denote the same thing? "Kilobyte" is infinitely superior to "kibibyte".

Attached: retarded.png (901x255, 15K)

>1 GiB = 1024 MiB (2^30)
You get out too pajeet.

Literally everyone uses it, but Microsoft is retarded and mislabeled it as GB.

see
KB = KiB
Gigabyte = Gigibyte

They both mean the same thing, but one sounds and looks retarded. You aren't a retard, are you user?

2^10, fuck.

>KB = KiB
>Gigabyte = Gigibyte
>They both mean the same thing
wat

Kibi/Mebi/Gigi = Kilo/Mega/Tera

Both indicate 2 to some power, but one sounds retarded

>KB=KiB
fuck the people on this board are dumb as fucking shit. Why the fuck do you people bother to reply to such time wasting pieces of shit?

>this thread

Attached: 1532330701500.png (300x168, 8K)

Are you a retard?

Attached: durrr.jpg (1054x92, 22K)

>computers operate in base 2
>no one should measure the storage in base 2
The absolute state of this board

>per this definition, 1 kilobyte is 1000 bytes
>in SOME areas (Winshit) kilobyte denotes 1024 bytes
The only retard here is you.

Learn to read you fucking inane faggot.

Attached: for-4chan-fags.png (1182x340, 53K)

>"Kilobyte" means "1024 (2^10) bytes" in all areas of computing except for the most autistic of CS researchers
>aka in the real world, KB is 1024
>but because I want to sound like a sperg when talking about computers, that is wrong, and I am now redefining "KB" to mean 1000 bytes even though that is literally useless in all circumstances and not in common parlance at all, anywhere

ITT: Jow Forums tries to troll

Attached: 1515463649802.png (403x403, 307K)

>kilobyte means 1000 bytes, but some retards think it's actually 1024 bytes
That's literally what the article says, you fucking brainlet.

>It's true because a sentence on wikipedia with no references said so.
kys

SI organization went full retard and declared

>scientific definitions always 100% follow normal language
They don't. Just because the scientific definition doesn't line up with the real life definition doesn't mean it's right. Kilobyte means, and always has meant, 1024 bytes in the real world.

This. "M-m-muh 'kilo' prefix must be exactly 1000 even in circumstances where 1000 is not relevant nor useful"

>Microsoft is retarded and mislabeled it as GB.
More like Microsoft is so big they can rewrite history and trigger your autism

this

>quote wikipedia
>turns out it says the opposite of what you think
>lmao wikipedia no references
kys

>kibi/mebi/gigi
Sounds autistic

not all wikipedia articles are equa in qualityl. You have to evaluate statement by statement. The statement you referenced has no backing in references nor in popular consciousness. Please provide the source for your information, faggot brianlet.

We have to do this shit because marketing fucks always use the definition that suits them best. Go buy a 8TB HDD and it only actually has 7.8125 TiB of capacity because hdd vendors conveniently define 1GB = 1000 MB and so on.

That's because it is. Could also be some kind of Digimon, desu.

Then kilo/mega/giga/tera need to be permanently defined as base-2, as that's how they're understood in all circumstances except for storage manufacturers.

1GiB ≈ 1.074GB. Here is the simple answer

>The statement you referenced has no backing in references
Neither does the statement highlighted in >nor in popular consciousness
lmao, because nobody uses SI prefixes at all, right?

Just kys, you're still on time to play the "I was only pretending" card.

When you buy your 1TB drive how many bytes do you get? That's right, 10^12 and not 2^40, retards. I wonder why?

wtf, are you pretending to be me now? I was arguing against the fag that you think you're arguing against right now.
>absolute state of Jow Forums

This. Everyone and their pet hamster thinks 1GB=1024MB, 1MB=1024KB, so on and so forth.
No point in bullshit like kibi, mebi, gigi. Unless you unironically want to sound like an autist.

>Kilo/Mega/Tera
>indicates 2 to some power
this is why Americans shouldn't be allowed to use metric, they'll fuck it up for everybody else

What a retarded post, no wonder you get (You)s.

>This. "M-m-muh 'kilo' prefix must be exactly 1000 even in circumstances where 1000 is not relevant nor useful"
The problem is that it actually is. There's no reason to measure eg. hard drive capacities or network bandwidth in powers of two, and therefore there are many programs that don't, and there is in fact very real confusion as to what KB or MB means in various contexts. The contexts where it makes sense to measure in powers of two are more like the exceptions (mostly those are addressing related contexts, such as RAM).

All that being said, kibibyte and mebibyte really do sound completely retarded, so I don't normally use them either, but the need to be able to be explicit about it is real.

Attached: sherlock-1.png (486x480, 212K)

Kilo for Manufacturers = 1000
Kilo for Microsoft (as coded in Windows) = 1024
Kilo for every other application in computers = 1024

We only have shit like "Kibi" because manufacturers can't stop deceiving people.

boy am i confused now

1GiB is 1,1GB
1TiB is 1,125TB
The difference is pretty big. Shut the fuck up.

Attached: binary prefixes orgs.png (1280x905, 289K)