Are radio controlled watches worth it? Im really thinking about buying one. But there is that one thing...

Are radio controlled watches worth it? Im really thinking about buying one. But there is that one thing. I call it watchmaker paradox. Why to have super accurate watches when half of the planet have their watches set like ± 5 minutes? I can have most correct watches on planet but when bus driver have his watches 5 minutes early Im late for work. So is it actually good feature or I should go to chrono istead?

Attached: cb0010-02e.jpg (1000x1000, 102K)

>bus
jesus man, are you on unemployment?

what third world shit hole do you live in where the bus driver sets his own time tables. 100% of modern bus routes use the same time information your phone gets. oh wait you don’t have a smart phone? kys this is the worst thread i’ve seen all week
>i was only pretending ebin troll
fuck yourself

I have one, I think it's cool. At least you will know your personal watch is never off.

One thing that is good about it is you just never have to fuck with it, most watches lose or gain time over months while these do not.

Also I disagree with you, I think most people use their cell phones or computers for clocks and are very fucking on time all the time and know exactly what time it is down to the min in professional situations

Oh yes that is the most important information from what I wrote... But if you are really curious There is no parking spot near my work. And why I should damage my car when I can travel by bus?

I have smartphone and I noticed 2 minute difference between smartphone time and bus time (actual watches in bus)

Fair enough anyway I'd just trust the time on your phone and get a smartwatch if you have to stare at something on your arm if you don't like taking your phone out of your pocket.

I have smartwatch and its not my kind of watches... Not saying its bad but for fully functioning I have to turn on bluetooth on my phone which drains battery and drains battery on watches also so I would have to charge up like two times per day and I dont like that. WHile watches on pic are solar powered.

Okay PC and smartphone should be correct. What if my boss have watches set 5 minutes more and he tell me that we have meeting at 11. He will be there waiting for me 5 minutes till I show up.

>I can have most correct watches on planet
Not if you're wearing a basic radio-sync quartz

Attached: Hoptroff-no-16-atomic-wrist-watch-3.jpg (860x864, 168K)

Can you recomend me better one for 300€?

Basic radio sync watches have a standard quartz oscillator inside running around 0.5spd. A high accuracy quartz like the 400usd sacm171 at 10spy will have much better Allan deviations in the 1-2 month range at least. A CSAC (chip scale atomic clock) watch, that runs at 0.001spy and contains a literal cesium vapor atomic clock, will have much, much better Allan deviations in the 50-500 year range, but costs in the high 4 figures, if you can even get one anymore. A GPS-synced basic quartz watch will have similar Allan deviations in the intra-day range but will do better than radio sync over the long range, mostly due to effects related to the path length of the radio sky wave as it bounces off the ionosphere, but also due to the low-frequency nature of the standard signals like WWVB. The radio signal is more likely to be deprecated (NIST, for example, has already done this once with their US time signal) than the GPS signal, although it is easier to spoof with consumer equipment than GPS.

Attached: AllanDeviationExample.gif (599x395, 28K)

Yes. I have that exact watch and it is the ideal practical timepiece.

Because:

1) Never needs batteries or winding.
2) Never needs to be set.
3) Is accurate to the second at all times.
4) Can quickly be changed to any time zone on earth when traveling, without having to manually adjust time or date.

It just fucking works always with zero attention.

Who are you trying to fool? stop projecting and get your act together.

Does it automatically adjust for dst?

I'm dying at how far over their heads this entire post is. Outstanding.

Attached: 1526669196122.png (576x507, 59K)

Then it's your bosses fault for not setting his qatch correctly. Are you fucking retarded? Time is not relative in the business world.

Precision frequency measurement is complicated. Radio sync watches cover only part of the problem.

NIST did some research on radio control watches as well; the whole paper is a pretty good read.

Attached: NIST radio control accuracy.png (702x415, 130K)

Standard quartz, like in a radio controlled watch, will also have a terrible 1-minute Allan deviation because of the inhibition window used, since basically all quartz crystals are actually calibrated to run fast.

Attached: fig7.png (600x140, 24K)

Yes. Can also manual override.

Not really. Some of us understand everything being said, but are ignoring it because for all practical purposes, ANY radio synchronized watch of good quality (like OP's) will remain synced to the second, which is more than good enough for a timepiece that can only be read to the nearest second, anyway.

Attached: 1528936345454.jpg (555x350, 37K)

As long as you have a good, unobstructed line of sight to the sky, if you're in the most populated parts of the US. RCCs aren't great at synchronizing indoors.

Attached: casio waveceptor radio range.png (600x615, 138K)

I prefer standard quartz. You can adjust them yourself and it should keep +/- 1s a month while being several times cheaper. As for public transport - it all should run on synced clocks, unless it's a shithole of course.

Watches are fashon, stop polluting our glorious technology board.

>it should keep +/- 1s a month
Not without a thermocompensation mechanism - standard quartz rates vary way too much with temperature to achieve 1spm.

Attached: 1517972672052.png (1567x540, 62K)

A standard quartz XY cut has a temperature coefficient of at least1spy per square degree C, so assuming a skin temperature of about 34C and a room temperature of about 23C, that's a rate difference of at least 10spm.

Attached: skin temp.png (710x1022, 926K)

Watches should have crystal in temp controlled oven like scopes do.

It's a toy, not a tool. It's a fashion accessory. Buy the gayest you can find to reflect your personality.

Most high-precision watches use temperature compensation, rather than temperature control. TCXO is as far as I'm aware a technology that's never been used in a wristwatch. VCXO was used in Rolex's quartz watch, but that might be the only one. More common is an approach like this.

Attached: seiko 9923 TC.png (679x984, 180K)

some use AT-cut crystals, which obviously are much more stable in terms of response to small changes in temperature.

Attached: quartz AT cut temperature response.jpg (575x396, 53K)

Pretty much the only fundamental issue with TC quartz is the fact that quartz exhibits some meaningful hysteresis.

Attached: quartz temperature hysteresis.gif (478x299, 7K)

Oh wow that's so interesting.

j/k its not.

It's funny how the frequency wars started - longines just started promoting the heck out of it's revolutionary 9khz oscillator vs CEH's 8khz oscillator. Cool to see this advertisement predicting the use of Cs in watches, forty some years later.

Attached: Longines-Ultra-Quartz-Tech-Bulletin-Page-2.jpg (600x746, 112K)