Apple releases 2018 MacBook Pro update to fix CPU throttling/thermal management bug

>APPLEOGIZE

“Following extensive performance testing under numerous workloads, we’ve identified that there is a missing digital key in the firmware that impacts the thermal management system and could drive clock speeds down under heavy thermal loads on the new MacBook Pro. A bug fix is included in today’s macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update and is recommended. We apologize to any customer who has experienced less than optimal performance on their new systems.”

9to5mac.com/2018/07/24/apple-releases-2018-macbook-pro-update-to-fix-cpu-throttling-thermal-management-bug/

Attached: Apple_logo.png (170x170, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html
notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i7-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i5-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3.156031.0.html
youtu.be/Xjor24HO2HA?t=17
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>bug fix
>now the cpu is permanently locked to 800 mhz to prevent overheating

It's still going to constantly overheat and thermal throttle when put under load.

ayyyyyyy

Attached: linusfag.png (854x663, 23K)

Jobs died for this

>missing digital key in the firmware
The what now?
Is that garbage talk to impress tech illiterates?

They will change the fan profiles, we get it.
It will sound like a vacuum cleaner but at least it won't be slow as fuck.

>tfw now the fan will constantly overheat and thermal throttle

Attached: 1511955538725.png (377x434, 240K)

Waiting benchmarks.

why did he cut off his balls?

>(((bug fix)))
>translation : We'll now fuck with the sensors and show bullshit numbers
Classic shintel kike trick.

>cooks specialty is cutting production costs
>put in charge of applel
>should we make the heatsink bigger for the i9?
>no lets just use the same one we use in everything else gotta save some cents lol

Whack

He wasn't castrated, he was given a vasectomy. There is a difference. He still has his balls and cock, can still produce sperm and can still fuck. The vas deference has been severed so the sperm cannot impregnate anyone anymore. Did you not learn this in fucking healthclass, you grade A retard?

He wanted to keep having sex but not want to have children.

on point

3 kids is already a huge burden even for middle class people like himself. Why would he want to have more? Each child you have can cost $250k or more depending how much college you pay for them.

Swift and fast, that how Apple doe it's job.
Can't wait to DAB on you when updated benchmarks come out.

Attached: DAB ON THEM DUDEBROS.jpg (800x649, 42K)

Attached: 1520013988194.jpg (464x960, 47K)

Scared of the DABBING brolingo? Macbook with i9 going to DAB on everyone and stay on top of the competition.

It JUST fucking werks©®™

Attached: 20100809125525.jpg (480x360, 79K)

tbqh that's also present on other phones, I was using my nokia 6 for navigation attached to a windshield mount the other day and it turned off and displayed an overheating warning on the highway

should really get an airvent mount

>talking about macs
>posts ios devices
DABBING IS INEVITABLE.

Why do you think nokia phones are so cheap? They couldn't do it with wankblows mobile and now they're practically begging people for change with these new abominations.

>"s-tahp it, aplul is le king, pls ;_;"
How about you dab on my cock you little homo?

>70% more performance in MBP 15 2018
>100% more performance in MBP 13 2018
Sure Apple

Scared I see, you should be dudebro, the DABBING IS COMING.

Attached: Memes.jpg (2000x1800, 747K)

In Denmark you are practically paid to have children. Wish it were like that here, considering I was one of five children growing up. Shit sucked. If we're to be the future of humanity, why are we treated like superfluous population?

>"After our one-hour stress test with Prime95 and FurMark (Windows), the CPU runs at only1.2 GHz, while the graphics card is also limited to just 400 MHz. Even though devices fromAsus,Acer& Co. also throttle, none of the direct rivals loses that much performance. The performance of the MacBook was much better under OS X, but the tools (Cinebench and Unigine Heaven) are not that demanding for the hardware."

notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html

>"We had our doubts on the performance of the Surface Pro 4 Core i7 configuration considering the throttling issues found on the Surface Pro 3. Luckily, we can observe no major performance issues when under high loads. The tablet is able to maintain its maximum Turbo Boost of 3.2 GHz for both cores when under Prime95 stress and Unigine Heaven stress."

notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i7-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i5-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3.156031.0.html

lmao, get fucked

Here's your i9 cooler, bro.

Attached: 1532037235457.jpg (1600x1200, 225K)

>Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review
Damn gramps, get on with times! Updated models still DABS on you.
>Surface pro 4
>No dedicated GPU
>Still gets obliterated by 2017 macbook pro
DAB on them MACBROS.

Attached: DAB ON THEM MACBROS.png (1506x1300, 400K)

Attached: so wide.png (240x364, 24K)

>dab
Get the fuck out, nigger.

based Apple fixing things in just a week unlike Microsoft who took over a year to fix the screen flickering issue on my Surface Pro.

>"ignore the real world benchmarks, here have a synthetic that was run for a milisecond"

my 2015 macshit "pro" I bought for over $2K NEVER got fixed

>a missing digital key in the firmware that impacts the thermal management system
on how many levels of damage control is apple on? that shit doesnt even make any sense.
it will continue to throttle and it will continue to be less performant than previous models under same heavy/long loads

>45 Watt cpu against 15Watt and 4.5Watt CPU
Applel is the best.
iDiots are the brightest.
pic related... several laptops with i7 7700HQ.
y so slow?

Attached: wow_nigga_why_so_slow.png (657x552, 37K)

Yeah, that's such a bullshit term. Literally all they can do to "fix" this at this point is to have the fans running faster/louder and sooner.

VRM bad mananger made processor goes 800mhz to 3000Mhz in short cycles.

Still need long term running test

(((>>>/lgbt)))

The problem isn't heatsink, well it is too, the problem is the vrms aren't designed or enough number to delivery currency for 6 cores CPU + GPU without hitting 125c
Now they will trottle tdp so it's stable on slower

l-Lewd!

>missing digital key in the firmware
>The what now?
It may be an ACPI table in BIOS but most likely you're right

>blowing a fucking hair dryer on apple products works better than going to a """genius""" bar or contacting support

The absolute state of apple

Attached: 1531011950767.jpg (600x450, 19K)

A lot of firmware in chips these days is digitally signed, so that would be a plausible albeit convenient explanation.

What is Jow Forums gonna cook on their new Apple™ Hotplates®?

I'm going to make onions pancakes

Attached: 1455891551200.jpg (456x620, 29K)

Which laptop should I use if I'm going to college?
Current laptop is
Alienware 17 R3
i7 6700 HQ
32 GiB RAM
GTX 970m
Samsung 950 Pro SSD
Arch Linux
4k screen

Battery life is only about 5 hours though and 2 days a week I'll be in school for 10 hours

That's too underpowered for even community college work. Bring your desktop to class

t. professor

Thanks I'll look into smaller desktops mine is really too much to lug around

>all this hardware
>Arch Loonix
lmao

If you think you're too proficient in your freshman programming classes, ask to test out of them

I usually test my students on crossdressing and ricing before I pass them along

Remember to wear your cat ears and make kawaii noises so they know you're serious

Yes I got a lot of requirements taken care of already because I had 106 of 120 hours for a computer science degree already from when I was younger

The amount of denial and salt going around now is at DEFCON 1 levels.

I don't think I've seen this much dogpiling of apple drama by youtube shills since bendgate.

apple could literally shit one their customers and they would pay for the experience

Remember to let your classmates know that you're saving up money to transition and you'd appreciate donations. It helps with paying for tuition too

you really think a fart sniffing cum tasting smegma smelling crusty ass self centred arch user would call it arch linux?

quote of the century

It's literally the correct name, retart

Attached: Screenshot_20180724-154039_Chrome.jpg (1440x2960, 1.29M)

but what's an OS update going to do when the motherboard isn't built to power the chip at load for extended periods of time?

It downloads better chips

low tier bate

them being scared of the lawsuits from people burning themselves on the laptop isnt them paying attention to consumer demand silly

the irony

Don't discredit my dudes at notebookcheck. They do a thoughtful analysis of hardware and run their tests multiple times to see how performance stacks up.
Even 13 inch macbook pro is no slouch here. That example was used to show the hardships of thermal design in small enclosure which microsoft couldn't get quite right even with 15Wt CPU! Also my dude you are bitt off with you comparison, you see those are thick gaming notebooks while macbook is in category of ultraportable professional multimedia notebooks, know the difference my dude.

Attached: 13INCH OF PURE DABBING.png (1434x1284, 349K)

it's impossible to "patch" the problem.

mac fags that love new hardware btfo
youtu.be/Xjor24HO2HA?t=17
tldnw basically the vrm that supplies power to the cpu is overheating and causing the cpu to keep swapping from "turbo" to normal degrading it's perfomrance.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*GASP*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: file.png (2560x1440, 1.2M)

STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ANYTHING DELL/AAYLMAOWARE

>macshit """"""""""""pro""""""""""" just BARELY keeping up with a fucking tablet running ULV cpus
FUCKING KEK

>99% increase in multicore
>barely
Check yourself before you shrek yourself my dude.

Yes sure. A product was shipped without a signed firmware. It was the wrong firmware, totally.
Awesome qa btw

>Let me heat up my device to an extreme level and then post a picture of it so that I can pwn Crapple on an anonymous shitposting website centered on Japanese cartoons.

Your parents must be proud.

>"b-b-b-but my babby toddler fruit toy beat a tablet"
>t. mactoddler in full on desperation mode

Attached: 1508226146977.png (583x323, 130K)

You meant beat the rest of the competition my dude?

>based Apple fixing things in just a week

It took Apple two years to fix the ultrathin MacBook keyboard with a new design, and previous-generation owners only get a free replacement using the same faulty part instead of a permanent fix.

>t. delusional mactoddler
Why are you so afraid of making same-CPU comparisons?

Attached: 1504463415386.png (2560x1440, 2M)

Holy shit! I left my device in a 130 degree car on a summer day and it overheated! This is fucking unacceptable. Applel is finished and bankrupt.

I know Wintards with their rock-bottom standards are fine with a laptop whose fans never stop whining at a high pitch, but MacBooks are designed to be quiet.

it's made with solid gold for better heat dissipation. The only reason wincucks buy gigaheug CPU coolers is because they can only afford aluminum.

What event are you quoting? This happens with lower temperatures.

It don't go to normal, it goes below base clock so the vrms don't melt over 125c
The guy on Reddit explained there is a firmware solution- basically it drastically lowers vrm informed capacity to the CPU, so in this way the CPU will throttle before it can drain more current than vrms are capable of delivering.
If you see any board, I saw this on my z370, the current limit default on board is set to Max tdp, so around 90amp. To overclock you actually set the amp limit very high like 255a. On mlp 2018 it was set on 100 amperes, and the same vrm is used by both CPU and GPU, essentially the same power phase count as a 4 core CPU. I don't know how much power phases it have, or the rated capacity, but it's surely hitting near 125c. Either apple need to increase power phases, cool better the mosfets or hard curtain the amount of power CPU+GPU can draw.

In the way it is now, the power delivery is either incorrectly insuficient or it lack decent ventilation

Basically the same dillema with x299 vrms with shitty cooling

>My understanding from people in the know is that Apple’s internal benchmark testing wasn’t affected by the bug (which is how they missed it) and so all of the stats for the new machines still stand true.
So they really DO use Geekbench for their benchmark testing.

It's probably bullshit.
You need to do a sanity test on hardware to realize if it is within specs.
Encoding video is a trivial operation mlp say they do so it should be expected.
Surely someone may had took a look and said it's okay, it's normal to throttle, yes is normal, however vrm temps should be monitored as whole hardware in QA. Either they are incompetent, or they gone fuck this, I can get away with it

My thinkpad on Linux doesn't make any noise/barely any noise when pushed hard. (Thinkpad T450)

time for the DABBENING

>turns apple from fruity it just werks personal computer into fruity fashion
>unleashes the social media degeneracy onto the world from hordes of normies adopting social media
Good

Attached: 1525986330105.png (520x678, 301K)