Not a single good laptop with dedicated GPU

>Not a single good laptop with dedicated GPU

wtf am I supposed to do? all of my engineering software is GPU heavy and I need to work remotely for clients.

Attached: 1520386328137.jpg (363x364, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techwalls.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-laptops/
msi.com/Laptop/GL62M-7REX.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shell account on some server with a beefy dedicated GPU?

that's assuming access to internet.

a lot of job sites won't have that.

Why not bringing the server with you then? You can keep the "mothership" device in your car/van along with a wifi access point, and then you ssh into it from your lightweight laptop.
Obviously, the server should be powered using a tether that you plug in once you arrive.

Attached: 1474495834663.jpg (600x720, 79K)

dude wat
techwalls.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-laptops/

I've been looking for a new one too, I am probably just gonna get another thinkpad. I used a t430s with an nvidia gpu in school and it worked for all my cad/graphic design shit, parallel programming, source games, and graphics programming courses. Only problem is the new thinkpads with graphics cards seem pretty fucking expensive so I gotta figure out which recent older models have them.

Do they make one without an led keyboard or gaudy case?

Aero 15x

external gpu?

X1 carbon doesn't look too bad
AMD graphics

Because those quadruple the power usage

thunderbolt 3
external gpu

Just get a gaming laptop.

>thinly veiled recommendations thread
msi.com/Laptop/GL62M-7REX.html

Something like this? Runs pretty quiet and you can turn off the keyboard backlight.

This.

And quadrupling power usage also means quadrupling heat production.
Which doesn't fir in to today's ultra thin=beautiful, vents=ugly design philosophy.

I don't care about thickness, I care about heat and noise. I could use something fat with a gigantic battery as long as it doesn't get too hot or loud.

You can't have processing power without generating heat.

But with modern fan design and proper vents you can get rid of the heat without much noise.
I can barely hear by T460p when its fan is at max rpm, it's really quite amazing. - battery is too small though, even the "big" one that sticks out the flat one is just a joke.

Not user but I see a T460P and gotta ask since that's the one I'm also considering. What CPU do you have in it? Do you feel the 940MX lacking power? How long does it last on slim/bulged battery? And most importantly, does it overheat and throttle under heavy workloads?

Here, you have a chance to either sell me into the whole ThinkPad experience or save me from a terrible buy. Thanks either way.

Does it require realtime processing
if so:
razer's external gpu enclosure or any available gpu enclosure from your laptop manufacturer might be the only way
if not:
just use cloud computing, it's dirt cheap nowadays

Tbh get a used Dell Precision. Newer memepads have shit build quality.

Life would be a lot simpler if only you could become a blue haired anime girl

>What CPU do you have in it?
Some i7 HQ, can't remember exactly and don't care.

>Do you feel the 940MX lacking power?
Never even got it to work in Arch Linux, using integrated graphics instead (also don't need powerful graphics).

>How long does it last on slim/bulged battery?
Highly depends on what I do on it.
I've drained the small battery in 20 minutes under heavy load, big battery is 3X the size so should last one hour.
Under light loads it's probably around 2 hours for the small and 6 for the large, probably could do longer under Windows and with the screen not set to max brightness.

>And most importantly, does it overheat and throttle under heavy workloads?
The case exterior never gets hot, even when the exhaust feels like a hair blower.
The CPU does throttle a bit, but not dramatic. (will probably be worse when combining CPU load with dedicated graphics load, they share the same heat pipes)
I've compared it to a micro-ITX with a dual core i5 and it performs a little better at single thread, most likely due to better cooling, but the differences aren't big and at multi-thread the quad core i7 performed better.

For the size I think it does a good job, probably better than most 15 inch laptops.
But if they made it half a centimeter thicker it would be much much better and they could have included an internal battery.

tldr: can recommend if you need a decent amount of power in a relatively small form factor, but it's not on the same league as a P51.

>Newer memepads have shit build quality.

Absolute bullshit.
Modern T-series still has awesome build quality, better than Tx20 series at least.

at that point might as well carry around an itx machine

Get a Dell 7577. People complained about throttling on the last model (currently have it, i5/1050ti combo) undervolted the CPU and GPU and use a laptop fan. Its been good too good to me. I get about 6 hours in between charges and it has great sound for a laptop.

Can't you get one of those wifi access points that work over cellular? It would cost a bunch probably if you're constantly on it, but this is a problem where you're gonna need to shell out some cash. You might be able to write it off as a business expense, idk I'm not a tax guy.

And also replaced the thermal paste to kryonaut. It was a pretty straightforward dissasembly.

You kill yourself dipshit.
If you can't afford a 1080 MaxQ laptop then you don't need one.

sounds like an actual great idea

Turn the lighting off

Lenovo P50