Port forwarding memes

Ok Jow Forums I'm a fucking brainlet, I can't figure out how the fuck to forward my ports.

See I've got both a modem and a router set up where I live. The router is so that my roommates can get wireless signal in their rooms cause fucking walls screw with the output signal of the modem. Anyway, I tried to go ahead and forward the ports on my PC but something isn't working. For starters I have a dynamic IP, so I changed it to a static IP and tried to set up my ports with that. No dice

Then I found out that the modem routes through NAT, so I have a different external IP than the one that I'm using. Then on top of that when I tried to configure my ports via the modem it turns out I have different WAN/LAN IP addresses than the ones I got through ipconfig. So now I'm fucking lost because I don't know if I'm getting my internal IP through the router or the modem

The modem is connected to my PC via ethernet, and then the signal goes out to the router. So basically I have an internal IP that is NAT routed via the modem, and then routed again via the fucking router. So I don't know what IP to use, and I don't know if I have to forward via the modem or the router even though logically it should be the modem since it's connected to my PC but really I just don't know anymore and I'm really fucking annoyed by this.

Attached: Modem-and-router-units.jpg (650x433, 20K)

I didn’t know people still played Minecraft

age of empires 2 actually

Use dmz it's easiest way to do this

modem don't do NAT

/v/ermin

ikt brainlet f
>wanna set up adblocking on modem
>google log in info
>type it in
>never works and doesn't even say it was incorrect

OP, read this Most modems are "bridged" to the router, so you should have 1 public IP, and 1 private IP. You should be forwarding on the router (not the modem).

If for some fucked reason the modem is a modem/router and is routing in addition to your shitty router, then forward a port from there as well. From that router to the previous router, then from there to your PC.

God what a fucking mess

Thing is I don't think the router is routing back to the modem cause I can't log into it, only the modem. But regardless the modem gives me a different LAN address than the static address I set up for my network

RTFM
JFGI

Perhaps enable bridged mode on the modem?

already tried it

fucking modems ruined LAN hosting

ditch the modem.
set your MAC to a static internal IP in the router.
port forward to that internal IP.

and post the fucking model name of your hardware if you want some actualy fucking help, dipshit

>a literal classic like AoE
>/v/ tier
I dont lurk /v/ but I feel insulted because AoE filled my childhood with good memories and LAN parties

It sounds like you have two routers. A modem/router combo and a wireless router for wireless AP. Put the modem/router into dmz, connect it to the wireless AP and allow that to assign internal addresses through dhcp. Log into wireless AP device and do the port forwarding. Also as others said, post the model numbers of your devices.

so the modem is ARRIS TG862 and the router is TPLink TL-WR841N

k gonna try this

Yep. That modem is already a router/modem/AP in one. Why do you have the other TPLink? You might want to consider using the TPLink as a wireless extender as opposed to a router/AP if you are having wireless connectivity issues.

Nigga you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about

Bridge the modem and port forward on the router

Look up how to pppoe, bridge or bypass the ISP modem router combo.

Open command prompt. Type IP config. Look for your IPv4 Address. This will probably be something like 192.168.1.x. Now go to your router, and find the port forwarding stuff. Tell it to forward port y to whatever IP address you got above. Now go to google and type 'what is my IP address'. Take the IP address you got there, and send it to your friend to use to connect to your game.

>type IP config
I don't know why I put the space there like a faggot. Type 'ipconfig'.

> I don't know if I have to forward via the modem or the router
Forward the ports on whichever one your computer's ethernet cable is plugged into. If that's your modem, it means your modem is also a router, and you have two routers. The router you have plugged in for your roommates to connect to is irrelevant.