I want to be a top earner in tech

How do I get to the top level as shown in pic related? What do I need to learn and study? Would I have to go to college for this?

Attached: 1532429618587.png (950x1908, 62K)

lol this is so outdated.

Installing Gentoo.
4 fucking captchas, fucking gookmoot

for better or worse?

finish uni
get job
work your ass off for a promotion (being friendly helps)
after promotion find another job for more money and same/better promotion
repeat until president

>president
Pfft, too much work, too little pay
They should unionize desu

You don't get to the top by studying X subject. You get to the top by being talented and having true passion for what you do. If you have to ask on a Mongolian basket-weaving forum for career advice, you're probably not someone who's going to make it to the top.

Suck cock
Suck CoC.
Hard.

You're not gonna make enough money to live a life where you own multiple yachts by just getting promotions if you're an engineer. Maybe you could switch into management and start getting there when you're 35-50, but even that won't net you the cash you're looking for. Maybe found the next facebook.

Honestly the appeal of this career shouldn't be the earning potential, because it doesn't get super high for the average software engineer. Its high, yeah, but probably not what you're thinking of. Just be a good programmer who works well in teams and find something cool to do with your life because you've got job security due to high demand. Because newsflash: the people who make enough money to live that super rich lifestyle are the ones paying you to program, and that should tell you enough about the difference.

>You get to the top by being talented and having true passion for what you do.

You get promoted by being competent. You get to the top by sucking dick and stabbing colleagues in the back.

having money is just a meme, once you get to the top you realize there's nothing to buy

You gotta ask yourself though, what do you want to do in life?

The managerial jobs may pay slightly better, but the job descriptions suck balls.
I've worked closely with and/or have done tasks belonging to
>IT Project Manager
>Product Manager
>Operations Manager
All those suck balls. You know how it's fun to actually do things? Well, you're doing none of that. In those jobs you'll be the author of
>endless JIRA tickets and epics
>staring at burndown rate graphs and wasting away asking for more info from techies
>writing hundreds of copy-paste tier memos and hosting literally hundreds of meetings where it's always the same shit over and over again
>filling out pointless spreadsheets, fudging the numbers and trying to push the client to agree to more billables
>get shit on from all directions
>trying to respond to ridiculous promises made by the sales guys
I could go on. Those are soul-sucking jobs for mediocre minds.

>Not being a tech lawyer.

OP, listen to this user.
Working a well paying tech job will get you more comfort in terms of financial security. You'll be able to afford nicer things, save for retirement, etc. You won't be railing coke off of a hooker's ass every weekend, and you won't be buying a new Ferrari every 6 months.

Well, "top earner" is a pretty shit description.
Do you mean multiple billions or millions ?

If you want to get to lower single digit millions there are some ways.

1. Launch company that is either bought for money/stocks by a bigger company.

2. Work your ass off for 35 years at some company, or alternatively switch comapnies every 2 years until you've reached the "top".

There really isn't that much in between user.
Either you get incredible lucky, or you slave away so successfully that you basically wasted your whole life just so you have money when you can't enjoy it anymore.

Pro Tip: Don't do IT/CS/Programming if you want to get rich, rarely anybody get's on a "top earner" level, and from my experience people who are in for the money are the first to burn out.

Yes the pay is good on average, but it's shit compared to what slaving away 30 years at Goldman will do for you.

As a freelancer you can make $200k/yr. If you can't rail coke every with that, you're doing something wrong.

This, SV lawsuit begins multibillonary industry ... for lawyers.

Social skill and good communication, online programmer community begin obsess about programming over 30,35,40 or 50 years old avoid mananger positions or non tech jobs

Just get 2 years experience and tried jump to mananger positions as normal person.

Just ask youself, how I make company makes more money and convince manager about this.

True, you could easily afford to blow an 8 every weekend, and some time with a hooker.
I meant to say basically you won't be partying with the top dogs.

True. Unless you create your own product and start selling it, there's no hedge fund manager money in it for you.

you become a manager.

then you live the glamorous life of picking MAYBE halfway competent staff from HR's droppings and wrangling them into actually completing a fucking project or two.

I fucking hate my position i just want to go back to being a hot shit dev in a tiny company.

>Yes the pay is good on average, but it's shit compared to what slaving away 30 years at Goldman will do for you.

Damn right, you can be pushing $150k out of school and well into the $300k's in your mid-30s once make VP.
Also enjoy working hard 100 hour weeks and no social life.