/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

post the questions

Attached: JUST_LIKE_A_GENIE.jpg (120x157, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/aoc-21-5-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black-silver/5770304.p?skuId=5770304
amazon.com/dp/B07CVL2D2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_397vBbZS0AWSA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/66635300
makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-test-your-pc-for-failing-hardware/
sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
etcher.io
boards.Jow
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmdvgJpXZdHNgUTFDjJm4ZrJZd4KmGsbgLbnAcgMZH1hfo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Looking to finally get 1080p monitors. Any thoughts on these?
bestbuy.com/site/aoc-21-5-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black-silver/5770304.p?skuId=5770304

forgot the other link
amazon.com/dp/B07CVL2D2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_397vBbZS0AWSA

You might aswell just get a 4k monitor at this late stage.

is it worth learning about apis and how to apply them?

are they still widely used in the industry?

Is it better to go with Windows 8.1 instead of 10 for slightly weaker hardware? Is it worth putting up with classic shell?

What do you think APIs are?

I have a really poor idea but I want to get into it more if it's worth it, I think they are easier methods to transfer information but I wanna know if there are better options nowadays.

Can Chromecast's HDMI-CEC do more than turn the TV on/off and find the right input? I'd love it if I could pause/play cast content with my TV's remote for example. Or does it depend on the TV?

How do I get AppChan X to work on Firefox?

How do I find the W7 or W8 serial key I used in my W10 upgrade installation?

Is it worth it to specifically avoid getting an Android phone in order to avoid the google botnet?

I'm already used to not having good app support because I've been using a blackberry for years. I'm therefore just thinking of buying an older slightly shitty/outdated phone specifically so I can use the Blackberry OS instead of Android.

Am I being retarded?

Attached: 1342986402097.gif (339x247, 1.99M)

what's a computer

Yeah, APIs are everywhere and aren't going away.
See
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

a thing you put in your butt

Thanks, I'll investigate more about them.

No, Windows 8.1 performs worse than 10, if you want to use weak hardware just install Windows 7 or Windows 10 LTSB with Auto updates, defender and telemetry off.

>guy asking for "might as well get 4k"
???????????

Attached: file.png (393x148, 6K)

I have a sata/ide adapter and I wanna make a backup of things I have on an ide hdd
do I need to jump the ide hdd to use it?

I'm trying to burn an audio CD for use with my old-ass XP desktop but for some reason I can't get it to actually recognize anything I burn on my laptop as a disc, it just acts like the drive is empty. DISCInfo is telling me that it should be able to at least read CD-Rs. Tried some regular music CDs and they read just fine so I don't think the drive is busted. The program I'm using is ImgBurn and I tried using different file systems in the "Build" mode but I'm thinking maybe I didn't do that correctly. Also tried making a cue file and burning from that in "Write" mode.

Attached: why won't it read cd-r then.png (311x495, 12K)

so i was fucking with dual-booting and had to reinstall grub.
but now my two other HDDs are mounted but showing no files.
Do i just need to do the same thing to them as i did with my install partition?

proof?

Why do some audio files not show bit rate generally have blank properties. Why can't I edit them even if I checked off read-only?
They're usually MP3 or MP4 files. When I look it up, it always says I have to download some program to edit it. Are there no shortcuts?

Attached: 7.jpg (1462x2046, 121K)

Which is the best ebook reader? Looking to read/manage stuff like epub and mobi files thru it

Library function is not a must but would be nice

There's a guy with tutorials on a wordpress site and his website is full of broken links. I was able to get access to his wp-content folder and it has almost all the pdfs, mp3/4s but there content is missing which usually has a url like websitename,url/example_file,mp3

Is there any way to probe what other files exist within this directory with some kind of automated dictionary type thing? He has case insensitivity enabled and the only problem may be irregular usage of - or _

Is there any point to securing a VNC connection with TLS when it is already tunneled over SSH?

what happened to the wall of text that's supposed to be in the OP

looks way nicer than just a one liner and a random image

Jow Forums
I have a mac mini and it keeps saying "your disk is almost full" and most jarheads on forums tell me to just delete some files. IS there a legit terminal way or a feature to turn this off?

/sqt/
where stupid questions go unanswered.

pls respond
I can't figure out how to install directory buster on ubuntu

If hiro instituted a feature where when ever you posted, your webcam would take a pic, and obscuring the camera or putting a static image up would get you permabanned.
How long till Jow Forums dies?

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.diskspaced.plist

My terminus font isnt working in my css files.

With the exception of userChrome.css, that is.

How can I get it to work?

anyone?

between those two the acer if you have an AMD gpu.

I have Kali Linux on a laptop in a VM with vmware workstation. Using an Alfa usb wifi card. Everything works as it should. For example airodump-ng will show all nearby SSID's as it should.

Try doing the same exact thing on my desktop rig and Kali recognizes the wifi card but when I run airodump-ng it doesn't show any results.

Try virtualbox on my desktop, same thing.

Try running Kali on a live USB... airodump-ng works fine on the desktop.

I don't get it. I had to make sure usb 3.0 was enabled on the laptop before I finally got it to work (I think both ports are 3.0). But the card doesn't work on 3.0 ports on the desktop. Windows recognizes the alfa card when I plug it in usb 3.0 but vmware and kali don't.

/sqt/ has had many pastas and pics over the years. The nature of the thread is that whenever an OP gets bored we revert back.

You're welcome to take up the mantle.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/66635300

I'm thinking of seeing if I can't update the drivers but I can't find any and I don't have a way to connect that desktop to the internet either. Any ideas on what I can do about this?

How can I restrict my home network to allow only traffic from a single IP address?

Use case is to login to a VPN and then access my network with that on.

If there's a different way to do it I'm all ears.

Checked the wiki for this, but can't seem to find it. What is the best software to analyze a HDD for bad sectors and whatnot?

I have a Kali boot disk because I want to learn pen testing. Never touched it before.

I finally got it to load, and then when it times out it wants a UN/PW that I didn't set up. WTF

Does anyone recommend ECS or BIOSTAR motherboards???, i'm looking to build a budget gaming pc not looking for extreme specs just something reliable to run my games

Buy an iPhone. Everyone is gonna shill over this reply but seriously dude it sounds perfect for you. They are pretty minimal, with the ability to delete stock apps and there's not a bunch of bloatware like on any samsung or other androids. They are secure too. It's worth trying out anyways. If you've been using shitty blackberrys, even an iPhone 6 would probably feel like a huge improvement to you. They're cheap now.

1. This is not a question
2. This is that fucking easy to Google
3. If you can't figure that out then why bother using Kali
4. "Default root Password
During installation, Kali Linux allows users to configure a password for the root user. However, should you decide to boot the live image instead, the i386, amd64, VMWare and ARM images are configured with the default root password – “toor“, without the quotes."

How do I make the Jow Forums X thread watcher count replies to my OP threads without (You)ing me as (You)s so that it turns the thread water red?

you fucked up by spoonfeeding.
but then again this is /sqtl.

my stupid computer (win 7) will just out of the blue turn the fans on full blast, flash the key modifier lights for like 30 seconds, then shut off. when i reboot it pulls up the safe boot prompt so its not doing a proper shut down. it didnt always do this, and there is no discernable reason to why it started and when it will happen next. is there a log or something i can look at to see what is causing this?

Now that diforfree is likely shutting down, what are some other ways one may be able to listen to di premium streams without forking over money

sounds like something's failing.
makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-test-your-pc-for-failing-hardware/

i dont think that really helps me

Open speccy and Hwmonitor, post both.

so you've already extensively checked your hardware?

im not sure how failing hardware would trigger a forced shutdown timer without any sort of dialogue box or error message or shit even without a bsod. it seems like software is to blame.

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1018, 252K)

why does microdick soft keep making windows installs so hard
>need to reinstall win10 on my bro's pc because he fucked up and somehow installed win8 attempting to fix his other problem
>had an .iso file on a stick laying around that I used when I had the same problem last month
>somehow didn't work now
>reformat the stick several times using rufus with different settings, didn't work either
>go on ms site where I got the .iso from
>suddenly you need a proprietary software to mount windows 10 on a stick
>said software nearly fucked my stick, fixed by reformatting with rufus again
>mounting worked on second attempt

Attached: 1530153436343.jpg (800x733, 38K)

Are you doing anything intensive right now?
If no i know your problem, but you better confirm it first.
Download Furmark and Prime95.

literally use rufus
i've never had an issue with it.

I will bump this now

not right now, just Jow Forums in one window and yewtube in the other

Are there any FOSS alternatives to Android live wallpaper/widget editor apps like KLWP?

Also i assume this happens while gaming or doing something intensive only.

that's what I did but it somehow didn't work

no, it can happen under low load or high load

then install 8.1 and be done with it.
the top iso from 1337 works fine.
or try
sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
or
etcher.io

Use Rufus.

Remember to select GPT for UEFI and NTFS for windows 10.

am I missing out on a lot if I get skyrim legendary instead of special?

its literally about to do it again and im not doing anyig but waching youtub.

Here is your problem, you are hitting thermal limit set by BIOS, Your laptop unless you are living in a desert (I live in one) should be under 40°C, not 60°C at idle, anything intensive would trigger it.

Would it be a good way to dual boot by basically setting my HD up as: NTFS: FAT32: EXT4?
I want to use the FAT32 as a home directory I can mount for both OSs, thus letting me have access to the same files no matter what OS I decide to use.

Attached: 1496603897301.jpg (285x249, 9K)

i do live in a desert, and the computer can be running up to 80 or 90 for periods when im doing lots of intensive things with no problems, or sometimes it can be at 50 or 60 and shut down as just happened. but ill take a look in the bios for thermal limiting options but i dont remember seeing any nor an auto shutdown option.

I hope this is the right place to ask this...

I just bought a monitor mount for my dual monitor setup.
The mount is movable, as I want to be able to occasionally reposition the monitor to suit my need.

My question is this: is there a program available that will allow me to easily switch between different position profiles instead of having to fiddle with the Windows settings every time? It should ideally be free or, barring that, easily piratable.

Attached: do not want.png (1118x688, 29K)

here are the event logs for the past few shutdowns, they all come up as error: unexpected shutdown in the event logs.

0x80000000000000

System
Root-PC

-
9:17:44 PM
7/24/2018

E207070002001800150011002C002C03E207070003001900040011002C002C03080700003C0000000100000008070000000000003C0000000100000000000000

the TimeCreated, EventRecordID, datestamps in EventData, and Binary all change with each log, everything else remains the same

likely either just a worn out laser, or the drive never explicitly supported reading CD-R, and the program is just assuming that to be the case (since most CD readers can read CD-R, whether made to or not, some just suck at it)

>have a faulty usb drive
>fuck microsoft!

also heres this, if it means anything to anyone
Binary data:

In Words

0000: 000707E2 00110002 0035000F 004D000F
0008: 000707E2 00110002 00350016 004D000F
0010: 00000708 0000003C 00000001 00000708
0018: 00000000 0000003C 00000001 00058B2E

In Bytes

0000: E2 07 07 00 02 00 11 00 â.......
0008: 0F 00 35 00 0F 00 4D 00 ..5...M.
0010: E2 07 07 00 02 00 11 00 â.......
0018: 16 00 35 00 0F 00 4D 00 ..5...M.
0020: 08 07 00 00 3C 00 00 00 ....

After deleting files from one of these, how come my computer still registers that those files are taking up space on it and how do I fully clear up that space?

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x300, 13K)

you can't, it's a dvd-r

Why is that? The files weren't burned onto it yet or anything. I'd probably know what you mean if I got them myself but several of these were just given to me.

in linux you could have scripts to switch layouts.
no idea if windows has anything like it.

The big R means read only
you want RW

>The files weren't burned onto it yet or anything
Yes they were. You just crossed them out. The space is already wasted.

it's a write-once-read-many (WORM) format, you can only write to any part of it once, so deleting something from it only marks it as deleted, you can't erase and re-used the part of the disc the file is in

the R means Recordable, DVD-ROM is read-only

I see. Thank you.

Why thank you for your kind fucking response. Dickwad. I was asking a fucking question in the goddamed /sqt/ for god's sake. Take your fucking superiority complex and shove it up your well-used ass.

This says nothing other than the PC shutdown without warning.

think of it like penning on paper, you can add more to the page, and you can cross things out, but you can't reclaim parts of the page that have been written on, the ink is there for good

not him, but it is kinda funny that you'd get hung up on a login prompt in kali of all things
like, what are you using kali for if you can't figure out how to bypass an unencrypted linux login screen on a local machine?

also fyi, 'toor' is a really common default root password (incase you didn't pick it, it's root backwards), so if you're not told, try that first

Well, that's a bloody shame. Thanks anyway.

hi im a lazy fuckwad so can g tell me what i can do to have
>firefox
reload a tab immediately after i've opened a link in new tab

Windows is displaying an incorrect GB size for a folder, what's causing this?

Isn't it ctrl shift t

I figured. Real fuckin useful event logger you made, fucking Microsoft

i mean automatically, if i middle mouse click a link and open the link in a new tab i'd like that tab to automatically reload once. i made some broken ass greasemonkey scripts and they get fixed when i reload the page

this is a really stupid question, but is there any way to save a page off of the internet? More specifically, off of Jow Forums?

Like, lets say I love this thread, and want to archive it myself, without any third party sites hosting it.

Is there any way to essentially save an entire thread, and be able to use the quote system, have images expand, ect, ect.

I know firefox used to offer something like this, but I'm too addicted to jewgol chrome, and as far as I can tell firefox removed that ability.

Attached: Untitled.png (394x407, 144K)

ctrl+S.

That saves a 212kb file, that when opened, gives me a black screen

Am I retarded?

httrack
httrack --depth=2 --ext-depth=1 --robots=N -A524288 -c8 -%c8 'boards.Jow Forums.org/g/thread/66871662'
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmdvgJpXZdHNgUTFDjJm4ZrJZd4KmGsbgLbnAcgMZH1hfo

>ipfs.io/ipfs/QmdvgJpXZdHNgUTFDjJm4ZrJZd4KmGsbgLbnAcgMZH1hfo

I, er, what?

How do I use this?

How do I actually save?

i was just about to write that putting it on ipfs was just to show you what the result is, httrack just saves to a local folder