What happened to software development?

Serious question time Jow Forums. In the past few years, I have been seeing a few patterns in technology. Note that these patterns don't really apply for classic or universally applauded tools. For all the new software and "apps" coming out, what the fuck are devs doing? First of all, on their development "blogs," they start talking about all the "scary" challenges they faced and how they feel empowered to use whatever stupid JS framework hipsters like. Then, all their software comes out with that stupid flat design with a million different animations everywhere (modern websites too). I just want to get shit done, not stare at animations. And this isn't even it. Why does every fucking application require an internet connection? Do the developers not care if someone had to do work somewhere without internet? Moreover, a ton of new applications take up fucking huge amounts of space, like hundreds of mbs. I understand why game engines, CAD software, art tools, versatile libraries, imaging stuff, etc. takes a lot of space, but what type of developer makes a single purpose application that also takes up hundreds of mbs. For fuck's sake, why does fucking Google Chrome take up as much space as a fucking Gentoo minimal install disc? A literal fucking OS that comes with tools to help install another OS (yes, I know that the stage 3 tarball is probably larger) takes up less or about the same space as a web browser? Then, the fucking Youtube app (not even a full fledged web browser) takes up a 150 mb! And the programs are riddled with bugs and stupid dumb error messages like "Oopsie woopsie :) " What the fuck do developers smoke? I fucking hate this trend of bloaty applications that require a constant internet connection. JUST MAKE SOMETHING SIMPLE AND SOMETHING THAT DOES THE FUCKING DAMN JOB. I COULD CARE LESS IF IT HAS PRETTY ANIMATIONS AND IS FRIENDLY TO ALL USERS. Is this too hard to ask for, or am I just going senile?

Attached: morningpepe.png (747x686, 64K)

user every os and app want to collect your data to sell.
Use Linux. Stop using ((online communities)).

Oopsie woopsie :) A ninja stole your reply. Don't worry, we're working on the problem. In the mean time, here's a photo of a kitten and a few products you might enjoy.

Attached: 1527292426910.jpg (405x343, 42K)

This is what happens when the Marketing Department gets to have a say in development.

Serious question time /j/. In the past few decades, I have been seeing a few patterns in religion. Note that these patterns don't really apply for classic or universally applauded scriptures. For all the new sayings and "stories" coming out, what the fuck are the priest doing? First of all, on their journals, they start talking about all the "scary" challenges the faced and how they feel empowered to use whatever devilish conception is fashionable. Then, all their scriptures comes out with that stupid flat story line with million of irrelevant words everywhere ( modern sayings too). I just want to get to the point, not read empty words. And this isn't even it. Why does every fucking scripture requires a blessing on the high priest? Do the prophets not care if someone had to do work somewhere without a high priest? Moreover, a ton of new scripture take up a fucking huge amount of space, like hundreds of pages. I understand why farming manuals, household instructions, medicine literature, etc. take a lot of space. but what type of priest writes a single purpose scripture that also takes hounded pages. For fuck's sake, why does fucking Morning Prayer take up as much space as the fucking Book of Revelation. A literal fucking whole book that comes with the tools to ascend again ( yes, I know that the stage 3 kabbalah compression is probably larger ) takes up less or about the same amount of pages as a morning prayer. Then the fucking breakfast prayer ( not even a full fledged morning prayer ) takes up 150 pages! And the prayers are riddled with errors and stupid mistakes like "Oopsie woopsie :)" What the fuck do the priests smoke? I fucking hate this trend of bloaty prayers that require a constant high priest around. JUST MAKE SOMETHING SIMPLE AND SOMETHING THAT DOES THE FUCKING DAMN JOB. I COULD CARE LESS IF IT HAS PRETTY WORDS AND IS FRIENDLY TO ALL READERS. Is this too hard to ask for, or am I just going senile?

>For fuck's sake, why does fucking Google Chrome take up as much space as a fucking Gentoo minimal install disc?

That's what happens when you have literal and figurative faggots doing the job. Optimization and performance is at the bottom of their list in terms of priority. They don't care that their software is bloated and slow because they think Moore's Law will always save their ass. It's an arms race between hardware technology and hipster programmers.

fuck you i just wasted 30 seconds looking for a /j/ board

Except Moore's Law isn't even true anymore.

>accurate observations about the laziness of most modern programmers
>"I COULD CARE LESS"
>"am I just going senile?"
Yep.

Attached: typing.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

>that 30-year-old boomer pining for the "good old days"
just spend $35 on a bigger SSD, you cantankerous cheapskate

Attached: 1526577266409.png (381x353, 32K)

>SSD
You are kidding right? Rather have a stable HDD then get a slightly faster transfer speed. Are you now going to talk about cloud storage?

woah dude some newlines would be nice

pssst

there actually is a /j/ board. try going there manually

>needing newlines
Eyelet detected.

well what do you think happens when companies hire 50000 devs. If each one contributes only 20K increase to the final size of whatever they're working on, that's a whole gigabyte across all of their products.

t. reddit spacer

soft ware? You mean apps jes?

Markdown goes back further than reddit, also you can do single line
breaks here. It's good to break up lines before or at 72 characters.

Short and sweet solutions are hard to make.

>Why does every fucking application require an internet connection?
A lot of programs, especially mobile apps, are really just webview wrappers that connect to websites that do the actual work. I worked on an app like this for a major pharmacy chain, and moving from that to the native Android and iOS was a huge project in itself. Sadly, keeping everything in webviews makes more sense in some ways given the effort it takes to write and maintain native code for two different platforms (three including the web itself) as long as the web team isn't a bunch of TCS or Infosys retards.

>why does fucking Google Chrome take up as much space as a fucking Gentoo minimal install disc?
Pajeet and the neon-haired diversity hire are largely to thank for this, since their spaghetti code often includes a lot of do-nothing functions and classes. The other part is the obscure features no one uses but had to be included and kept lest we bruise someone's ego.

>stupid dumb error messages like "Oopsie woopsie :)
Those actually have a good reason. Standard OS error messages sometimes give away enough information for someone to compromise the app.

How do I approach app store programs as an operating system dev? I want high performance shit.

OP is not a faggot.