E-ink ebook readers thread

E-ink ebook readers thread.

I'm the one that asked about getting a display model Kobo Aura One before, decided to go for it and got it for $90. Will do a little unboxing/impressions here.

Feel free to talk about any ereader though.

Attached: IMG_20180725_142604190.jpg (3120x4160, 3.04M)

90$?
Fuck. I could not even get one of those in my country. So had my relative bring one from Britanistan and it was neraly 200pounds.

Great thing though... Now if they made it easier to put custom screensavers, implement better bookmarking system, kept zoom/placing between page turns in pdf...

It was a shop display model, so it was less than half its usual price. 22,000/10,000 yen, basically $200/90.

Interestingly the actual barcode on it indicates a display model, hopefully it doesn't screw me out of any warranty.

How do you like yours, especially the reliability on yours, and the battery life?

Attached: IMG_20180725_143856661.jpg (4160x3120, 2.88M)

I am looking for one around the $50 range with SD card support. I just want to load books to the SD card and read them.

There exists such devices for such price, but the OS running on them are the purest shit you've ever seen.

Battery life sux compared to kindle paperwhite (2014 model). It seems to leak power even when sleeping. (It was even worse before patches). That lux style red lighting is nice but not equal(forgot english word for "equaly spread on"). Some places on screen seem more redish than others(juust a bit). Backlight in general seems to be not equal on screen. Plenty of small isues with software - it seems to be nice and all but there are nitpicks- bookmarking system is shit, not keeping zoom+placement on page turns in pdf, doesn't track reading stats on pdfs for me (seems to track one of pdfs but I stoped reading that so can't say for sure)...

tl;dr only issue is battery. Everything else is nitpick.

Reminder to use k2pdfopt to make PDFs beautiful and readable on your device.

And always say no to garbage Pajeetware like Calibre.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 12.31.02 AM.png (1116x779, 453K)

Back has a slight mark where the stand attachment went, but otherwise looks mostly fine. I'd expect it to get scuffed a bit after use anyways.

Attached: IMG_20180725_152321390.jpg (3120x4160, 3.71M)

>k2pdfopt
Dat 90s gui.

Attached: screenshot_v240_small.jpg (470x391, 102K)

You did good OP. Kobo is the only brand that produces e-readers that are not jailed into a specific ecosystem and have reasonable quality for their cost.

Pocketbooks

Thanks for the suggestion. However k2pdfopt can't convert to epub and pdfs are slower on an e-reader. Calibre is a must for non-kindles.

Calibre just works for me.

I read ebooks on my iphone

You should. However an e-ink screen is infinitely easier on the eyes than any tablet/phone/screen.

i just wear glasses, it protects me from eyestrain

I got an aura one around Christmas last year. Absolutely love it but I will agree with you on the battery issue.
I found that yes it does bleed power while asleep so I set mine to shut off after 10-15 minutes of inactivity or sleep. If I'm actively reading I'll never pause for that long and it only takes 45 seconds or so to boot back up so it's not a big deal if I get distracted for a moment. Battery lasts ages longer this way.

For that price look for a used Sony. They're a few years old but still run fine and you can drag and drop files into them.

Again you are doing well, BUT "an e-ink screen is infinitely easier on the eyes than any tablet/phone/screen". Just look at one and your eyes will feel it.

Eh.. too much hasle. Bleed while sleeping might be really bad when traveling. But in my use case I just plug it in and it is full in no time. Interesting if bleed is hardware issue or software fuckup...

Sony's have great material quality but have shit software. Stay away and i speak from experience. The best all around brand is Kobo.

Also, try instaling ko reader or what is it called. Custom reader that makes pdf reading realy compfy on aura one. I used it for big technical pdfs and it was great.

Calibre does not fucking work at all for PDFs. I just tried to convert a PDF and instead of extracting the text layer that I KNOW is there, it just spat out a 60MB file with every page an image. It's dogshit.

If you absolutely need ePub, pirate a copy of ABBYY PDF Transformer, which actually fucking works.

Attached: calibre pajeet.jpg (299x299, 12K)

Oooh... you want epubs from pdfs. Well that might not work. Newer tried since newer needed (my pdfs have lot of big pictues and stuff that would not work on epub). Also, I do believe that not all pdfs can be turned to epub amyway.
Anyhow calibre works for everything I use it for.

Updating

Attached: IMG_20180725_160638333.jpg (4160x3120, 2.98M)

>ABBYY PDF Transformer
Ayyyy!! Pajeet still uses winblows.

>you want epubs from pdfs. Well that might not work
It works friendo, i do it all the time. Only a small percent of pdf can't be converted.

I have a TinyXP VM just for running ABBYY desu

>GUI
use the CLI

k2pdfopt is for the PDFs that "would not work" on ePub, and the ones that do.

I ment that it might not work on calibre.

Can that prohram of yours make good epubt from pdf where pages are just scanned images? What if it has special math symbols within text? What about in line images?

That is the idea, yes. There are a lot of command line options. The output will be PDF, but reformatted for the screen.

Attached: paper_old_after.png (543x708, 290K)

Hm... don't really see use of it right now but might try it out.

Welcome to the club OP, bought one and accidentally got two, going to give the other one away to my mother-in-law.

Best thing about a lot of Kobos is that their memory is literally on a microSD.
I upgraded my kobo Aura 2 from 4gb to 32gb the other month. Total overkill but so handy for bloated files like textbooks and magazines.
Also use Koreader. Latest version is really good.

Its as easy as this:
>Pop open back with a credit card
>Plug MicroSD into pc
>Backup image to an iso/img file
>Take out microSD and out bigger one in
>Flash onto bigger microSD
>Extend partition
>Put back into kobo
>Pop back shell back on

Hey presto, done within an hour or two.

Yeah, looks like battery life is especially not good on this one since it was a display model, it has 85% from just updating, and it's down to 71% after a few minutes.

Attached: IMG_20180725_164657035.jpg (3120x4160, 2.96M)

WiFi is a battery killer, turn that off if you are not using it.

>battery was full from the factory

Attached: 1530226824195.png (1440x1557, 738K)

Depends on update level. Newest updates are better than it was half a year ago. Also itlf it was on display always charging it got battery fucked a bit. Anyhow - kobo aura one for that price even with bit fucked battery is a steal.
and as one user said - keep wyfy off

I got it from the store it was a display in, it was charged before handing over.

Thanks, forgot wifi is on

Thanks

but I want physical buttons on my e-reader

Retard here. Do interactive pdfs work on ebook readers?

Some Sony models have buttons. Also, some low quality plastic e-readers have them.

No. E-readers are just for reading-vewing documents.