Previous thread: >>66823974 →

Previous thread: →
If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: Thinkpad.jpg (700x420, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.w4004-9978574182.6.OVU36K&id=43779473864&spm=2013.1.w4004-9978574182.6.OVU36K
ebay.com/itm/1920X1080-B140HAN01-1-1-2-1-3-IPS-1080P-FHD-Screen-Kit-for-thinkpad-T430-T420/192559432189?hash=item2cd56fc1fd:g:vfkAAOSw2spbDleg&_sacat=0&_nkw=New 1080p 1920X1080 IPS FHD Upgrade Kit for thinkpad T430 T420 LCD controller&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313
youtu.be/uT96FEWTJ28?t=1m41s
youtu.be/Wx6Uh9oQvEE?t=3m56s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i wanna buy a thinkpad to put kali linux on and be a hacker like on mr robot which one should I get?

budget is up to $250

X240 worth buying?

T430

How do I install coreboot on a t420
Yes I'm a brainlet

500£ to 600£
Maybe for games idk

Tommorow I'm getting a T420 with 16gb ram for 180€.

Is this good? ~$1150 USD.

Attached: think.png (1217x706, 139K)

Post pictures of your thickbads!

Attached: DSC_639.jpg (1500x1125, 362K)

Is this legit?
item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.w4004-9978574182.6.OVU36K&id=43779473864&spm=2013.1.w4004-9978574182.6.OVU36K

>live in a small town
>ywn be able to look outside your window at a bustling city
>a bunch of abandoned houses around me and that's it
why even live

Should I?
ebay.com/itm/1920X1080-B140HAN01-1-1-2-1-3-IPS-1080P-FHD-Screen-Kit-for-thinkpad-T430-T420/192559432189?hash=item2cd56fc1fd:g:vfkAAOSw2spbDleg&_sacat=0&_nkw=New 1080p 1920X1080 IPS FHD Upgrade Kit for thinkpad T430 T420 LCD controller&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

No

Why not?

Just move user

Attached: IMG_20180628_1338136.jpg (4056x3040, 3.05M)

Where to get good batteries for thinkpad t420?

how come my new chinkpad refuse to wake up from hibernation? does it hate linux?

>look into getting new battery
>user look for battery replacement programs
>look to lenovo.com
>your battery is not affected for the recall

What else did that user mean by "you might get one for free if you lurk more"?
I need a new battery by the 20th August.
The ones I find online are about £75-90.

Attached: 1522234311.jpg (894x894, 93K)

You guys are all worthless cunts. People post questions in here for you idiots to answer but you hardly ever do.

You just lost another to Apple. Go fuck yourselves.

>You just lost another to Apple
I don't think I lost anything. Come back in a few months with your mac and we'll see who have lost.

depends on what you're going to use it for. For everyday use, a cheap used machine will give you a much better bang/buck ratio

>live in a city
>traffic and basketball-americans everywhere I go
>streets smell like piss
>expensive af
>move to the country
>fresh air, surrounded by nature
>i know who my neighbors are and we socialize, feel like part of a community
you don't know how good you have it user

>why even live
Because you don't live in a shithole city.
God I wish I could live somewhere quiet and nice.

My T420s just died on me, and the hard drive was apparently not able to be recovered. Then it got Windows 10 installed on it.
>t-thanks
I know the computer guy meant well, but the problem with the T420s seemed to be related to power. While I'm phoneposting like a piece of shit and getting Windows 7 on here, I've heard word of the s having a weaker battery, but is it less reliable? Is it a Thinkpad all should avoid? I know it's kinda gimped as is, but it was the only one the guy had. Thanks, /tpg/.

My x230 just arrived, I'm so excited lads.
I've got so many questions:
>how do I use the middle button on the trackpad?
>how can you scroll up/down with the trackpad?
>should I keep windows 7 on it or install 10?
>There is an "administrator" account for the version of windows installed. Can I connect to my microsoft account/should I?
>how do I avoid killing the battery early on?
>what's the advantage of upgrading to an IPS screen?

Also, the upper edge of the screen is a bit fucked up (there is some play). Should I try to fix it?

Attached: file.png (400x319, 99K)

t420 overheat i heard.

Hi , need a laptop mainly for productivity (Spreadsheets, word processing, online work) and programming. I also will use it for extensive web surfing and multimedia (movies, music, tv shows), but not for gaming. Will need i7 and 16 gigs ram at least.

It needs to be light and portable, and 14 inch at most. What's a good thinkpad for this?

The grass is always greener user. People have a tendency to compare the worst of their current situation with the best of other situations.

you hold the middle button to scroll with the clit
to scroll with the trackpad, you just use two fingers
lose windows 7, it's shit. just use 10
check for a bios password. if it has one, get your ass ready

>how do I avoid killing the battery early on?
no need to worry about that

>what's the advantage of upgrading to an IPS screen?
whatever

>Also, the upper edge of the screen is a bit fucked up (there is some play). Should I try to fix it?
it's easy to open up

t420

>>There is an "administrator" account for the version of windows installed. Can I connect to my microsoft account/should I?
jesus christ, just use an offline account. fuck microsoft for making it less obvious to make an offline account and fuck you for even considering this, you dumb brainlet

t440p with an ips Screen lad
Don’t listen to the keyboard autistic that will try to meme you the t420 with eye cancer inducing screens

wget gentoo

X200T a cute

Attached: IMG_20180724_204633.jpg (2592x1944, 1.3M)

How do I make sure the government has 0% chance of accessing my computer?

Incinerate it

Install GNU Utoto S

Get pic related.

Attached: IBM Typewriter.jpg (500x386, 124K)

I have an x230 and want it alive and working

Remove the wireless adapters and never connect to the internet or other networks.

Only if you swap the trackpad

Explain me, /tpg/, why does HP TC1100 tablet (with Windows XP also, somewhat smaller device) from 2003 use SATA drive, while X41t from 2005 uses PATA drive with stupid PATA->SATA chip?

Explain why HP TC1100 tablet drive has PATA connector if it's supposedly a SATA drive nigger
youtu.be/uT96FEWTJ28?t=1m41s

wut? Read again retard, I never said that HP uses PATA.

>why does HP TC1100 tablet from 2003 use SATA drive

>in video they remove PATA drive from said HP TC1100 tablet

Oh ok, my bad. Upon closer look in other video it's really PATA. Well that means this dude youtu.be/Wx6Uh9oQvEE?t=3m56s somehow found PATA SSD. I was confused because of the angle at first, and later this dude used image with SATA drive.

t420 i5 best ram upgrade options?

i live in a suburb close to the city and it's shitty because costs are so high despite being in a suburb anyways.

fucking car insurance is $200+ a month, and it would actually be $400+ a month if I was a new driver under 25.

>tfw girls at uni always cringe when you pull your thinkpad out

>thinking anybody even notices hardware other people use

>fuck you for even considering this, you dumb brainlet
Okay, t-thanks

Alright thanks m8. Not sure about w10 though, I don't have any licence and am too lazy to pirate it atm. And w7 looks comfy af, what's wrong with it?

underage

When I was still in school 5 years ago I had an X61s and used to get compliments on it from people, including at least one girl. They thought it was cool.

The Intel 915 based laptops allegedly use a SATA to PATA bridge because SATA drives weren't available in large enough quantities to equip them from new. FYI the chip can be bypassed and a regular SATA drive can be connected directly.

If I just wanna connect the t430 to a TV sometimes should I even bother with a docking station or should I just use a wire?

Is this motherfucker right, guys?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 9.37.48 AM.png (1401x253, 108K)

It has an 8-cell now though

Attached: pad.jpg (485x408, 79K)

No, go back to deviantart

Hey Jow Forums, I was wondering,
The T480/T580 are already out, and the next models are probably going to be named T490/T590.

What's next after that?
I think that they should add 1000 to their models
>Like T1400/T1500 .. T1410/T1510 ... etc
What do you think

What's that anime?

Sample size of one so not really noteworthy in terms of reliability.
I'd rather have something that's easy to repair so easy choice.

>somehow found PATA SSD
You say that as if it's hard to find one.

Docking station is only useful if you want to connect a lot of stuff in a single go or want three monitors on Ivy Bridge iGPU (select docks only).

My office setup has
>two external displays
>power
>mouse
>headphones
>usb-c for phone

Home setup
>two external displays
>power
>mouse
>dvd/cd -rw combo drive
>external soundcard
>external hdd
>usb-c for phone

It would be a bother to connect all these every time I move my laptop.

bump for battery secrets.

Attached: 1531322576116.jpg (916x1206, 375K)

How many times have you masturbated to that image?

There is no secret.

Is that recall the only official way to get free batteries?
How does the £75-90 6 cell new Lenovo battery sound?
Will a new one last for like 4-5 hours?

Attached: a1504569204764.jpg (444x453, 46K)

You have given no specs so how would I anyone answer that question. Also you can answer that question yourself: check how much charge is still left in the battery you have now, run it till it's empty, calculate what the new battery will give you. The price is also up to you to decide, I'd be glad to pay that for a new genuine battery, I don't even know if that price possible in my country.

It's for a refurbished T430 I got. The battery it has lasts for like 2 hours.

>check how much charge is still left in the battery

Anyone running coreboot on x220? I have all the parts but am afraid to try.

>why even live
Go make money, then retire in a small town. I grew up next to NYC. That's why I left.

Do whatever you must to get paid to travel. Merchant Marine and other options noobs don't think of exist. Of course if not disqual there's military. Go air force or navy to avoid being a bullet sponge.

Anker make good batteries. I have three for my X200s

Just spend the money, tight arse

witnessed

I don't think they make batteries for laptops anymore

>No serious answer to my question
Go fuck yourselves, Jow Forums.

Not much to do. I checked the ad that I got it from and it is advertised as specifically with a 2 hour battery. So I didn't get fucked.
70+
4760mAh
57Wh

you too

I'm looking to grab a t420 laptop for drawing and browsing, can anyone comment on the quality of the ips option? And also, does linux play well with less mainstream tablets like XP Pen?

Attached: IMG_3556.jpg (594x398, 82K)

Why aren't you posting any new pictures

>laptop for drawing and browsing
Retina Macbook Pro

Nigger if I had that kind of money I wouldn't be here

So you admit you'd buy an Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display if you could afford it

Between the x200 and the x200s, which is comfier for light tasks?

I got an A20M for free the other day but its having power issues. Surprisingly charges the battery but the screen stays lit for half a second with the HDD light on then immediately shuts off. Anyone know a possible fix? If it wasn't a stinkpad I would have just thrown it in the recycle at work.

why are you so combative, I just asked if the screen was okay and if linux has good offbrand pen tablet support.

I still use the T400 in bought in 2008... It's my main machine, using it right now. Just added more ram, an extra HD and a X9100 proc (I should have picked a P9700 desu)

As a student taking notes who likes the idea of writing with a pen for certain classes would a surface pro be worth it? Are there other options (cheaper) with similar capabilities?

>surface pro be worth it?
25% failure rate

I'm in Europe, thinking about buying a ThinkPad through Ebay with international shipping. What are some ways I could get screwed over? Is the Money Back Guarantee good enough for scam protection?

What do you mean by that?

it mean one surface out of 4 die prematurely, because it's shit

I'd say your biggest concerns are:
>damaged in shipping
>BIOS password

I don't know about the money back guarantee, but eBay usually sides with the buyer if something obviously the seller's fault goes wrong.

Looking for something to use as a daily for college, essentially for the next 4 years. Budget is $400-500

Does anyone have the picture of the W series screen comparison?

>wasting you memepads potential on autistic cartoons

Can I open and clean the speakers and keyboard with a swiss knife?
The previous owners did some stupid things and I got screwdriver marks on the chassis. I will try to smooth out those marks.

Attached: thinkpad-T430-RAM-06.jpg (1200x672, 129K)