/spg/ - Smartphone General

OG Moto G Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual phone size comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: moto-g.jpg (1500x1000, 201K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_s2_(redmi_y2)-9185.php
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.iamrich.makefun&hl=en_US
freedommobile.ca/plans-and-devices/mobile-devices/device-details/motorola-moto-g6-play
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
youtube.com/watch?v=RkfwVMaETc0
youtube.com/watch?v=rGG-xDR9LAY
tmonews.com/2018/07/moto-e5-play-moto-e5-plus-t-mobile-600mhz-lte-support/
forum.xda-developers.com/zenfone-5z
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is there any updates on the S9 Active? Will it have Treble? I fucking hope so.

Recently bought a chinkphone, and athough I'm very happy with the specs, it has a ton of irremovable bloatware and gapps that can't be disabled.

Is LineageOS the best solution in terms of freedom and customisation? I just don't know where to look for decent custom Android OSs.

Lineage is probably your best bet, though we can't know for sure without knowing what phone you have. Lineage is available on the widest range of devices.

All phones that launch with Oreo have Treble

Hmm I had gotten it into my head that it was P that gave Treble. Thanks.

Redmi s2 gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_s2_(redmi_y2)-9185.php

>5.99 inches, 720 x 1440
>Android 8.1
>Snapdragon 625
>3 GB RAM, 32 GB

For €110 it's good?

Thoughts on the Oneplus 6? Coming in the mail tomorrow to replace my Moto Z.

what apps should I put on my s9?

Attached: 1531417900827.jpg (1000x1000, 1.35M)

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.iamrich.makefun&hl=en_US

literally the only app you need

OnePlus ROM, Cyanogen, can be used on other phones. It's really close to stock Android, check it up.

found this today OP, if my Pixel XL wasn't better i'd cop it, $240 is a steal imho. The battery is 4000mah as well.. I'm honestly considering it anyways (My Pixel XL has a cracked screen, broken volume rocker, and I could use a better battery.)

forgot link. freedommobile.ca/plans-and-devices/mobile-devices/device-details/motorola-moto-g6-play

I'm enjoying it, I stopped noticing the notch after like 15 min. Every app I've used is good at hiding it. Its basically just for status bar. The camera is okay. I mean its good, but it's a downgrade if youre coming from a Pixel or Samsung phone.

I think it's the best bang for your buck flagship phone if you're buying new.

Only issue is the phone is very popular among pajeets. So a lot of info you find on the phone is Indian related.

Clover

I have to huawei p10 lite right now
My provider offers me the mate 10 lite for 36€ and the redmi 5 for 0€
Should i go for any of these or wait until better offers come ?
What do

Stop being an idiot and buy your poorfag phones outright.

I bet you make your pixel bitches wet with your expensive iphones don't you

You betcha.

What phone should my brother nick get? He likes playing video games and reading

Iphone x

Black Shark

OK thanks! I'll let him know

nick here, buy me a s9 you broke cunt

110€? where

>Mi 8 SE has no NFC
My next smartphone... I almost had it...

Suggest a phone:
I dont mind chink shit
i dont care about camera quality
thin bezel display
good ROM support
USB c

Price range ? Also check Kimovil's quality/price sorting, it's pretty spot on. You should find what you want in the the 200-350$ range.

They don't use NFC in China.

Man if only the US had gotten the Moto G6 plus

I have it and it is one sweet phone

I heard it's a decent alternative to redmi note 5, kind of retarded that Lenovo don't want to capitalize on that.

for 110 money 3g 32gb good, have 4gb 64gb? better. always buy 4gb this day because do not to buy recently. good for a super long time.

Femanon here

Snapdragon 625 AGAIN?
When will this meme die. It was underpowered in early 2016 when it first came out. Shouldn't be in phones in mid 2018

Attached: selfie3.jpg (768x1024, 117K)

I guess they bought them in bulk, the retarded pieces of shit.

>Selfie3.jpg
>You have her photos categorised and numbered.

What the fuck is up with your English?

>her

I'm just assuming.

CAN'T DECIDE

TOO MANY OPTIONS

Attached: 1532507127236-2.jpg (500x671, 70K)

Any info on the nokia 6.1 global launch? Not sure if the chink version would work for me in romania.
What do you think of it?

Mi Max 2

Just don't go Chinese

pajeets love it

Yeah, they have QRs with WeChat right?
Still a shame since at release the Mi line normally has NFC. Guess the SE is the Mi 8X.
Guess I'm back to dreaming about the XZ Compacts going on sale.

>Snapdragon 625 AGAIN?
>When will this meme die
Do you just not like battery life and one of the most efficient SoCS? See which SoCs high scoring models rely on:
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
>It was underpowered in early 2016 when it first came out. Shouldn't be in phones in mid 2018
Sorry, but not sorry - you don't know what you're talking about.
youtube.com/watch?v=RkfwVMaETc0
youtube.com/watch?v=rGG-xDR9LAY

But thats what everyone else is reccomending

Just don't buy a smartphone :^)

Still using the Moto G 2014 but something is eating up the internal sorage. Also 1GB RAM only.

The moto g *sips* now that was cool phone. The moto maker was cool too, shame it was anticonsumer.

Attached: 1529376138635.jpg (633x640, 50K)

Is it easy to get and change screen on an old moto g4? I would like to go back to it since I like how small and comfy it is to use

Because these threads are infested with Chinese shills and people who don't actually make phone calls.

Let me ask you something - how could you have possibly convinced by this vague of post?
>Just don't buy Chinese
No reasoning, or if there is any - it's always (((them))) memes, shills or similar nonsense.

I'm still using a moto g, looking for a replacement now

Case in point:

Requesting buying advice

>~£425 max
>UK
>decent headphone sound (needs 3.5mm jack)
>semi-decent camera
>size doesn't matter
>microSD slot preferred
>non-shit update policy preferred but not expected at this price

My HTC 10 is dying and the NFC doesn't work for tags or my YubiKeys. I was thinking maybe one of the Nokia .1 phones

Attached: but i dont have my weapons license yet guv.jpg (1600x900, 321K)

Do you mean 6.1 Plus?

Case in what point? Everyone here is your arch nemesis trying to constantly sell you something? Ironically, Chinese devices are developer friendly and you can very easily replace factory firmware which has been proven to contain malware. On top of everything and depending on the model, you are getting unprecedented value for money. So remind us all, where is this great conspiracy again.

Nokia phones fit your needs, except for the update policy as they have disabled bootloader unlocking and you'll rely on luck for updates.

Didn't they recently announce that their new phones were getting 2 years of updates? That may have been another I read about.
Can't use custom firmware anyway, my bank app refuses to work with custom roms and I use the NFC payments too much to give that up.

Thanks for the suggestion though user, will look into it

Attached: check em.png (750x492, 521K)

>my bank app refuses to work with custom roms
I'm fairly certain Magisk module developers have found a workaround for this. Not that this is of any use for Nokias though. Two years of updates are promised for many models and by many OEMs, but this wasn't delivered every time.

So i've been using the BlackBerry Priv for the past 2 years.
It's been great till about 6 months back.
Whenever I open certain applications regardless of being on the 4G network or on a home network it gets really hot on the back of the phone where the volume buttons are. Does anyone else have this phone and also experience this? I looked around for solutions but most of them are dead ends that don't actually fix the problem.

Attached: 1448502045953.jpg (500x375, 93K)

Yeah I read about Magisk, I wouldn't want to risk it not working though and honestly the only thing I would use from rooting a phone is adblocking, which works fine using DNS66 for me.
I checked the Nokia 7 Plus, it seems good for ~£300 and has been getting monthly security updates which is definitely better than HTC's whenever-the-fuck-we-want approach.

Attached: darmok and jalad.png (800x698, 134K)

>it seems good for ~£300 and has been getting monthly security updates which is definitely better than HTC's whenever-the-fuck-we-want approach.
Good luck. You can at least hope Nokia (HMB) keeps that promise.

Anyone got the ticwatch E? Thinking about picking one up relatively cheap online. Never had a smart watch but I feel it'd be pretty nice, for maps, fitness tracking, and notifications on my wrist so I'll actually notice them. Might make a thread about it in a bit

Attached: 1527301076061.jpg (588x580, 274K)

Yes aka the x6 in china. Another one on my mind is the mi a2 lite (no type c tho)
Still undecided

Help me out Jow Forumsuys Nokia 7 plus or Asus Zenfone 5?

Are all the $1 tempered glass screen protectors on aliexpress the same ?

The Nokia.

My OG Moto G is still on Kitkat. It never got the OTA update.
How can I tell what OFW to install?

OP, for next bread T-Mo leaked the E5 Play and E5 Plus
Apparently they're going to be the first mid-range devices offered by T-Mo that picks up B71(600MHz)
tmonews.com/2018/07/moto-e5-play-moto-e5-plus-t-mobile-600mhz-lte-support/

Which Zenfone? The ZE620KL? depends on if you want Android One, or the ability to unlock the bootloader
forum.xda-developers.com/zenfone-5z
The Zenfone 5 guides/content is in the 5Z forum

What is this mipush folder and the files inside? I was transferring files earlier and I just noticed this. I was using a xiaomi device before switching into oneplus. I tried deleting it but the folder just comes back again. I'm getting a bit paranoid.

Attached: Screenshot_20180726-000036.jpg (1080x2160, 100K)

So I finally upgraded from a tracphone for the first time in my life. I got an iPhone 8 Plus and I'm on Verizon's single line 5gb for $40 plan. My monthly bill is going to end up being $95 a month after taxes. Is this a lot of money for an iPhone and a plan? I think it's a good deal because I'm getting a shit ton of data for what it is but I have no idea what average costs or anything is since this is my first phone.

Don wolly you pletty ritter hed gweilo

Attached: tenor (5).gif (498x280, 1.33M)

>going post paid
>ever
5GB for $40 is how they suck you in, then they force you to use one of their branded devices, charge you shit ton of "service fees" and taxes
You dun fucked up

Why do the MotoG5 phone not have official LineageOS builds? What does it take to make that happen?

Typically the Kernel/source code of the device has to be released to developers, and that's on Lenovo

Every single person I know gets a phone bill at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure most people do, especially if you get a new device. Plus, I need to build up credit but I don't want to get a card. Either way, I don't really give a shit if post paid is a ripoff. I didn't ask if a plan is a good idea, I asked if this is a lot as far as plans go.

there are rather stable unofficial builds, what I want to know is what's the next step to get onto the lineage servers with automated builds and all

Post paid does little to actually build your credit, but it will hurt your credit if you fuck up
If you want to build credit, you have to take out a loan, like a car note or buying jewelry on loan
Most people do, and thank God they do, we need suckers to finance the network that is prepaid users, who by their devices out right instead of over paying on then through device contracts
I'm not sure what it requires to make an official build, probably LOS themselves making the ROMs instead of third party developers using their code

LineageOS.

No idea if this serves as a good comparison but my local carrier has 40gb for $30 a month, so that definitely seems expensive. Unless that $95 includes paying for the iPhone?

Is it wrong that I like how MIUI looks?

>op3 stock unlocked root, had it since launch
>starting to buffer constantly doing non gaming tasks
>system ui has crashed, slow to boot apps, etc

Would a clean install of LineageOS fix these issues?
Or would an entire wipe be enough?
I'd much rather keep stock ROM desu

Attached: IMG-20180725-WA0000.jpg (736x681, 50K)

Try the Nokia 7 plus, as far as I know the .1 phones aren't on Android one and take a bit longer to get updates, but I know the 7 plus does get them when they come out.

I just paid off my s6 now, but I'd like something a bit bigger like the s8+. Is the 9+ worth the extra cost from s8? It doesn't seem like it to me. I could get the s8+ for $768 with verizon, but that sounds dumb considering on Amazon it's $686.

Any other phone I should consider? I assume google phone is one giant spyware. no ios, no chink shit.

Just get the S8+

THE MOTO G7 BETTER BE 4000+ maAh!!!!!!!!

Dunno but the G6 Play is, or you can get the E5

I CAN'T
I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY TO REPLACE MY MOTO G2 WHICH IS STUCK IN CAPSLOCK

>you'll rely on luck for updates
They guarantee fast updates for 2 years as a part of the Android One program. What happens after that is anyone's guess, but he's good for 2 years.

I had a Priv for about 16 months. And yes I had the same problem. I suspect that while the Snapdragon 808 was more than ample back in 2015, it's since fallen behind (the Snapdragon 435 in my girlfriend's LG Q6 came close to matching my Priv in terms of performance). As we all know, the 808 was quite quick and stayed reasonably cool when it was not too stressed, but as soon as you subjected it to sustained loads it heated up and throttled like a bitch. Now that applications are more demanding, the 808 has to work much harder than it did before. So it is going to be stressed all the time, and it will heat up a lot more.

I was pretty excited about the Priv when I got it, but after a lot of cognitive dissonance, I gradually became disappointed with it over the course of a year or so. It ran a lot warmer than other phones with the Snapdragon 808 when it was launched, it was slower than other 808 phones, they physical keyboard really wasn't that great, and over time, the battery life became intolerably bad. I was tempted to wait for the Key2 but I felt too burned by Blackberry and how they abandoned Priv users. We paid a lot of money for this fucking phone. I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) a couple months back when they were on sale, much happier with it. Keeps cool all the time and the battery life is insane. It was the first phone I owned that wasn't "stock Android", but frankly, Samsung's shitty skin runs a lot smoother than "stock" ever did on the Priv.

WHEN THE FUCK IS G5 PLUS OREO?
GOD DAMN, MOTOROLA
HURRY THE FUCK UP
NOT EVEN THE FUCKING SOAK IS OUT YET FOR BURGERS
FUCK NU-MOTOROLA
PIECE OF SHIT LENOVO

Yea, i'm disappointed that there has been almost nothing from blackberry in regards to the overheating issue. Like I can understand kind of warm but it get's hot to the point that I can probably burn some paper with the back of my phone. Even just opening up Manga Rock and not actually reading anything instantly makes my phone heat up like a furnace. Like you I will probably avoid blackberry for some time till they get their act together. I will look in the samsung A5, I have no qualms about getting a lest gen phone since all I use it for it gps, manga, pdfs and calling. Nice to know there are those one here who know of the bullshit.

Attached: black chaika.jpg (386x348, 29K)

Just root/unlock and get it off XDA, fuck relying on the manufacturers for anything other than unlock codes
Which means you don't know shit
The 6.1, 7+ and the 8 Scirrocco are all Android One phones

I have verizon and use S6, S8+, etc.

I haven't rooted / unlocked / altered firmware or whatever. Is there any reason to do any of that? Like more privacy, better battery, more apps, etc?

How bad is the blue tint on the Pixel 2 XL? Tempted to pick one up for $650.

Yeah, all of that, plus further customization of the device as well as version updates which would allow you to use the same device for longer

I'm broke as fuck and my droid razr maxx is apparently dying (it charged all night and went from 0 to 10% charge. Yesterday it died while charging) and I'm looking to replace it. My budget is $100, and I'd like something with more RAM than the razr as it was constantly freezing up. Considering my budget and requirements a refurb is probably best. What are some models I should look at?

The overheating got to the point where I could not use the phone in the summer sun or even keep it in my pocket at the gym, otherwise it would bitch about needing to cool down. Not sure if there is much Blackberry could have done in terms of software updates to cool down the phone, the hardware just ran hot. What pissed me off is that they promised Nougat, and then did a complete about-face and said "nope, fuck you, Marshmallow is all you get". It's a fucking travesty that an $800 US ($900 in Canada) phone was released with an outdated operating system and then only got ONE update, on top of all the performance issues. I liked my Bold back in the day, and my Dad's Q10 was a good phone, but if the Priv is what we can expect going forward, Blackberry can go fuck themselves.