Remember when macs were good?

Remember when macs were good?

Attached: centrisandquadraavad[1].jpg (1968x1334, 1.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jph0gxzL3UI
youtu.be/j9kL3it5cFI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes but I knew nothing about computers then so I have no idea if they were actually good or I was just as stupid as current day iPhone users

Mac OS 8 and 9 had nice user interfaces but that was about all. The internals of the OS were a mess and it was generally a pain to use with few programs. Apple hardware has always been shitty and overpriced.

Best retro computers are DEC Alpha machines with OpenVMS or SGI MIPS machines with IRIX. Amiga OS on PPC was decent, and HP-UX on PA-RISC and Solaris on SPARC were mediocre. Everything else in the history of computers was and is bottom of the barrel horse shit. Change my mind.

Attached: IMG_20180408_204801.jpg (451x558, 50K)

Attached: i-member.jpg (985x1002, 202K)

when you could do nothing and it was a shitty closed system?
much better since it is based on a standard architecture, but designers at apple seem to be aliens

Very briefly.

>Amiga OS on PPC was decent
You mean AmigaOS 4?? It was far from "decent". I hope you mean OS >3.9, this was never PowerPC, only m68k with libraries to use PPC for PPC compiled programs natively.

you mean when they gave a fuck about the product they where selling?

no never, not in my lifetime

You mean when they were 90 days away from bankruptcy after years of selling dozens of variations of the same damn beige box for the sole purpose of fucking up price matching?

Yes

Hardware-wise? The last time I remember them being good was with the Powerbook G4 aluminium design. Software-wise the only good operating system Apple have ever made is OSX. Its predecessors are garbage.

No, I'm too young.

The aluminum powermac G4 with dual CPU's was a nice piece of kit as well.

You mean G5? The four core one was god tier. It could have up to 16GB of RAM, too.

computer, load celery man please

No, I'm only 34.

This

I meant G5

While modern macs are whatever, I still appreciate features of NeXT and OS X.

Attached: apple unix advert.jpg (1976x1202, 401K)

yeah, early Mac OS looks comfy but it doesn't work very well. Though if we're being honest, OS X was shit until Tiger, and it peaked with Snow Leopard.

>Though if we're being honest, OS X was shit until Tiger
Tiger was definitely where it got good, but early OS X was still a big leap from OS 9 in terms of usability. I still see Leopard as the peak, since it was the last Mac OS to support PPC.

>Remember when MACs were good?
Yes, yes I do:

Attached: 34788t65.png (1377x309, 3.25M)

>execute top
>terminal emulator shows /usr/bin/login
How is that even possible? The terminal emulator should never even execute login.

>OpenVMS
So a minicomputer with a POSIX layer.
Where have I seen that before.

when? mid 90s?

Only high end m68k from the mid 90's and late early/mid 2000's PPC.
Everything else is shit.

Attached: 1503691166568.png (302x360, 169K)

That's a nice LARP, reddit still knows how to make those

Uh? Why not? It's a terminal emulator, a physical terminal on a ttyS will execute login also BY DEFAULT.
Once you login it will execute your shell. So the terminal emulator could be set to either your shell or login. Running a shell directly is more comfortable though.

I don't remember terminal.app ever spawning login shells.

Maybe I'm just a normie, but the Mac I have now is the best computer I've ever had.

>new job is mac only
>oh no
>never used mac before because macbooks are chinese-quality and I just want to run linux at home
>get on my imac at work
>macos desktop is infinitely nicer than gnome
>everything I want to do in the shell just werks because it's not windows
mouse and keyboard are absolute garbage though

Change them then.

It's from gamefaqs

>OS X was shit until Tiger, and it peaked with Snow Leopard
Pretty much.

Yeah, I remember. Good times.

I'd argue OS X got good with Panther, really good with Tiger, and peaked with Leopard/Snow Leopard. It feels like everything since then has just been a steady downward trajectory. I haven't really used it seriously at all for the past couple years, although everyone seems to be looking forward to Mojave.

The default mouse acceleration in OS X has gotten so bad that it's honestly easier to use the trackpad than it is to use an external mouse.

Attached: IMG_0785.jpg (4032x3024, 1.6M)

It's a GameFAQs poist, you dumb fuck. And it's not a LARP, but simple factual truth of reality.

Macshit was never good.

Attached: 1510192987713.jpg (1024x613, 152K)

It's simple, on older versions /usr/bin/login is even on the defaults shells list to execute on open.

The X68000 part was really overdoing it, XMS would have been believable.

>ahaha let me post this picture depicting a 3rd party extension and lets say it's actually first party code that causes the crash
>hahahah
Yeah, who are you trying to convince.

>Mac OS 8 and 9 had nice user interfaces but that was about all.
From the Classic MacOS'es, System 7.6 was the best though. Anything afterwards is a dirty, ugly hack.

/thread

Yet the fastest Macintoshes are in fact not Macintoshes.
youtube.com/watch?v=Jph0gxzL3UI

Same applies to 3rd party Macintosh compatibles.

Attached: 1513102337922.jpg (512x512, 33K)

youtu.be/j9kL3it5cFI

tony is right you know

>ahaha let me make up a story about this picture that i know nothing about to defend apple
>hahahah

Attached: 1508371568076.webm (955x533, 2.08M)

Just because someone's father had an opportunity to actually import and get one for his work at home doesn't make it a LARP, kid. Stop whining. Jealousy is a bad thing.

I know for a fact this is a 9.2 boot CD and type 11 error is related usually to unsupported hardware, aka not first party Apple hardware like the picture implies.
It even tells you how to get it running, hold down shift. Afterwards you can install it and latter either upgrade to the right drivers (extensions) or remove them.

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

>ahaha let me make up a story about this picture that i know nothing about to defend apple
>hahahah

MacshitOS 1-9 crashed if you breathed wrong in its vicinity because Applel street shitters didn't even know what protected memory was. Deal with it mactoddler.

Whoops, looks like you broke. Guess just like Apple shit, your brain is also just a fashion accessory.
If you're actually curious before making a new bait post, you can easily google about the type 11 error. I'm out.

Protected memory had nothing to do with it, if a program was well developed, it was never an issue and most programs you wanted to use where, because otherwise people looked for alternatives instead. This was before developer time was more important than user time, like it is today.
This was the same with AmigaOS, it also lacked protected memory support in the OS from the getgo. Funny enough both machines had hardware that supported it though. So yeah, protected memory is not some magic word that makes computers crash when you're near them out of the blue, crashes and memory leaks are developer errors, I used to run my Amiga for days continously something without a single crash.

But of course there was the shit spaghetti code that would crash your system from time to time. If you where smart enough you could install a debugger and initialise it via the interrupt button and kill the crashed application with hopefully having the system in a good enough shape to save your work. This was a default action for AmigaOS.
Apple also tried to enter the UNIX market with A/UX, this actually had protected memory support on machines with an MMU, a requirement to run the OS in the first place.

Early Mac OS was pretty stable actually. It's program developers and lack of memory protection that made the system unstable.
The problem is Macintosh engrained themselves on a 24bit memory management scheme in the earliest days that continued to haunt them until OS X.

Remember Application heap size? Fuck that shit

Attached: 1505747358264.jpg (321x460, 49K)

No. I can't remember something that did never happen.

you probably also think 486's where good cpus turning their time

no, I don't

thistbhfam