Find a problem with electron

There is nothing wrong with electron , it allows you to make good clean looking desktop applications that work on many platforms. As well as that the ram usage has been consistently decreasing with each update.

Attached: electron-api-demos.png (708x628, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youmightnotneedelectron.com/
developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-windows.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

for devs:
>requires JS
for users:
>bloated (large size, much CPU & RAM usage)
>no concurrency
>bad performance overall
In the end it just wraps a website, so you could as well make a website and use some modern APIs for more. You get a larger and more happy userbase.
See youmightnotneedelectron.com/

The problem is there is not really any alternatives when it comes to making something that actually looks good. Im sure someone will tell me how you can rice out some gui lib but thats not the same.

You forgot:
for everyone:
>security holes in old chromium versions just waiting to be exploited
The problem is that webfags think they can dictate what looks good, while in reality native applications look best to non-autismos
What's more important is that the feel is more important than looks and that's where electron falls short

>youmightnotneedelectron.com/
Half of the stuff is unfinished, removed or deprecated, like with the battery API

JavaFX seems to be the only thing that can come close but I dont know java so......

Attached: javafx.png (1365x767, 73K)

That looks like shit. Stop creating non-native applications. Nobody cares for half-assed custom branded faggotry based on Teleriks shitty themes.

"Native apps"

Attached: native.png (396x342, 8K)

>using Tk
That's what you get for using a command language to create software.

qt sucks just as much ass.

Windows just looks like crap. Tk, Qt and GTK software look alright on Linux with proper themes.

That's where you are wrong kid.

>Windows just looks like crap.
Actually, if done correctly, it doesn't.
Now, homOSeX, on the other hand, that looks like crap.

qt is pretty much like html and css, and you can make it look like any electron if you want to

It's kind of amazing how MS provides all the tools necessary to actually create solid apps and yet devs consistently fuck it up.
macOS has gotten far easier to create a great experience on over the past couple of years. Linux is really the only platform lagging behind in this case, and will forever be just a dumping ground for cross-platform electron apps.

I really wish to use qt user. I really do, but it is a clusterfuck, I still don't get the difference between Qt, QtQuick, QML, the billion bindings for a billion languages, the weird licensing scheme.

I'm a KDE user and I would really like to develop proper Qt apps for KDE.

Thats one of the main reasons I just steer clear of it.

I think it’s great for not very serious applications. But the end product is still very clunky and slow.

No security updates.

every user in this thread

Attached: 1532186043438.png (403x347, 116K)

>there is not really any alternatives when it comes to making something that actually looks good
gtk+

is this electron thing the reason why nu-programs now are all adopting this 'flat' design?

More like a 'fat' design if you look at memory usage

Does gtk work on windows user?

developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-windows.html

Is this a good idea?
>the browser download the whole frond-end JS client of a site/service and cache it, so you don't have to download everything every time you reload or open the tab
>the site use versioning for the front end so the bowser can update the app
>detachable UI "tab" so it looks like a stand-alone app

Attached: dildo arm.jpg (699x625, 68K)

I mean does the stuff even look nice on windows? As well as that I would have to compile pygobject

That too

>does the stuff even look nice on windows
I don't think so (I don't think most Windows programs look nice)