GPA in CS

d-does GPA matter guys?
General subjects are cucking me like history and psychology.

Attached: bad peepo!.gif (487x560, 898K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_inflation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes

Mine didn't. I had it on my resume for co-op because it was required by the school, but after graduation I took it off and nobody has asked for it or a transcript

Gradding this sem.

Let's put it this way, I can't compete with the guys I know who have a 6.91 GPA (Aus) with my shitty 5.5 but I'll get employed anyway.

It'd be nice to have peak performance because you'll get a higher paying job easier. But you won't crash and burn for a mediocre one. Try and avoid a 4.

If you're americuck just divide by 1.75 or whatever the fuck you do. I also hear you have to be pretty retarded to not get above 3.5 there though so.

Depends on the school, user. Some schools are harder than others. For example, my school has an average GPA of 2.7 for CS

>cs at my school curves to 3.6
>math curved to 2.7

ITS NOT FAIR AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: 1525893124998.jpg (1200x900, 180K)

Just git good, user. If the school curves you don't actually have to be good at the material just better than your retarded peers.
You ARE top of your class, right?

Only if you're white

>peepo
>>>/reddit/

>tfw 2.99
>tfw 1 more year which will probably be tougher
c-can i make it to 3+ lads

Seems to matter. Several potential employers have asked about it. Probably more important is to get latin honors because that's relative to your peers whereas a "good" GPA varies from school to school.

But those classes are a fucking joke. They're babby-tier.

GPA doesn't matter as long as its not super low. On the other hand, how the fuck are you getting cucked by fucking history and psychology? Just take the 30 mins out of your day to do the work, shits literally high school level.

Just choose some bullshit art gen eds to puff up your GPA if it matters to you that much. Not worth it though, IMO.

Kinda. Your major GPA is most important though.

Sorry that you have no people skills

I got $75K living in a decent city (lots of yuppie shit, lots of great tech jobs, low CoL) out of the gate with a fucking 2.7

The real trick, and it's one most people here don't know, is to not be an insufferable basement troll. As long as you don't think you're some 1337 hacker just because you own a Pi, and as long as you can shave and shower before an interview, you'll be fine

Your GPA for your major classes are what matters most. It's nice to have good grades elsewhere, but all your boss cares about is can you write software for him. Not recall on cue who won fourth battle of the American civil war, and why. You DO however need to be able to communicate, if not in writing then verbally. So get good at one of those too

If you want get Master or PhD yes.

But in industry meh some intership or personal project matter more,

If you have a high gpa it can help you. Mine was 2.7 and i left it off. No one asked.

except my class is filled with 80% chinese, a lot who cheat or study like work ants. Its usually curved to 2.7 with 0.4 as one std which makes it extremely hard to get 3.5 or above in a class of 40. It also doesnt help when the entire class is smart and averages are around 85%. that means getting a 90% is like a 3.0 if you are lucky.

If your class is averaging 85% on exams you need to find a better school. ASAP.

that was only in 2 classes but the point still stands its a huge pain in the ass to be able to get above a 3.5 when it is curved to 2.7. I go to a top 15 uni so you can suck my dong

I'm going into my first year of CS at a state school next month and I took AP CS in high school but didnt pass the test but they jumped me to CS II instead of CS I anyways. I recognize the concepts but my teacher was kinda lazy the second half of my senior year. Will I be fucked and how worried should I be?

Apparently not in the U.S. All highly ranked schools have suffered MASSIVE grade inflation and give away degrees. The best of your shit country is literally pajeet shit in America.

People at my school that PASSED AP CS struggled immensely. It doesn't prepare you for a real school so if you cannot even pass the test you need to take a basic course or do a lot of catching up before classes start.

t. Self taught nerd

I mainly didnt pass because I couldnt do the written parts. I am more confidant in the actual concepts but having to remember off the top of my head how to write it down instead of typing was really hard. I will request to be put in CS I then. Also does the program matter? I am going to a state school where the department is really small and has little resources or diversity in classes in fact the incoming freshman of CS majors is about 40 which is their biggest incoming of CS majors in the university's history along with very little in terms of the actual CS building.

That's a lot smaller than I was thinking so pretty much everything I said goes out the window. If they recommended CS II then you probably will do well in it, worst case you drop down after a week.
Try writing code without an IDE and you will slowly get better at literally writing code. It helps A LOT for interviews as well. My tip is to think of basic structure first, run through a couple edge cases in your head, then begin writing. Don't overengineer from the beginning but also don't jump in immediately because removing code (erasing and rewriting) is much more annoying on paper.

small private schools yea but big public not at all

Not really. As long as you're above 3.5 it doesn't matter all that much.

user, what the fuck are you talking about?

Attached: figure3.gif (732x498, 43K)

The HR side of hiring at a lot of companies usually has a GPA cutoff point. I've experienced companies auto-declining anything below 3.0 for example. My current company doesn't care that much at all as long as your resume is good.

No

>all the top grade inflated schools are private

Ok maybe 30 years ago, a 2.5 had a different connotation. The grading system is fucking skewed and shifted to >2.5 where 2.5 and below are meaningless beyond "you fucked up and failed"

I also go to one of those public schools that supposedly has high grade inflation and ive seen the public info on grade breakdowns. When people talk about grade inflation, they talk about when almost everyone in their class getting >3.6.

When grades are curved to a 2.7 thats not "grade inflation" you fag

user EVERY school on that chart had inflation. Just because private schools had it a bit worse doesn't mean shit. Those under the line are still inflated.

Im talking about grades NOW in comparison to other schools. Not what they were 50 years ago you autist. Do you understand? This is not a hard topic to google search and most people understand this already. It is much easier to get a 4.0 at a small school than a big public school

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_inflation

whats so hard to understand there's a difference?

>It is much easier to get a 4.0 at a small school than a big public school
Nigger what? That's completely bullshit it just depends on the school. Anyways this whole discussion started because you bitched about how your school curves low which is hilarious because the best schools have had massive grade inflation. If your school is curving the average so low then statistically you probably go to a shit school.

>uc berkeley ranked #20 in country
>curves to a 3.0
Most of the top elite just hand out 4.0s yes, but plenty of good public unis also curve low in stem. or just small random ass schools also have a good chance of just handing out As

The average grade at Harvard is an A-. There is plenty of grade inflation at "elite" schools.

It's because peple in Harvard are very smart.

Wrong.

Attached: a plus nigga a plus.png (930x766, 497K)

>get into prestiguous school
>they want to make sure they make all their students smart so everyone gets good grades
>wow he want to harvard and got a 3.8 hes so smart!!

2.47 here, made $75k out of school. GPA didn't matter to me one bit

Yes it does. All the retards barely pass.