I need a 1TB external hard drive. Why are these so expensive? Any cheap 1 TB hard drives...

I need a 1TB external hard drive. Why are these so expensive? Any cheap 1 TB hard drives? The only thing it's gonna do is hold data I'm not running any programs off of it or doing anything crazy, it just will hold data then sit in a drawer until I need to back up more data on it.

Also, can I get a recommendation on a hard drive enclosure to transform an existing 1 TB to an external drive?

Attached: werwdrsqdfsd.png (300x297, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Duplicator-Function-EC-HD2B/dp/B0759567JT/ref=sr_1_19?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1532569160&sr=1-19&keywords=hard drive dock
ebay.com/itm/232861736770
amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532572049&sr=8-3&keywords=western digital blue 1tb
amazon.com/ORICO-Toolfree-External-Enclosure-Support/dp/B00GAML7OK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532563383&sr=1-3&keywords=external+hard+drive+enclosure+3.5&refinements=p_36:-2100&dpID=31HqiBQCLSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

define cheap

SSHD currently is a good bet for 80$ on 1tb. As for SSD's your best bet is ADATA and Silicon Power. Which is surprisingly cheap for 1tb.

>Any cheap 1 TB hard drives?
Toshiba and Hitachi. Consider also the smaller formfactor (2.5), might be cheaper in your area.
>Also, can I get a recommendation on a hard drive enclosure to transform an existing 1 TB to an external drive?
Orico, good and cheap chinkshit

>can I get a recommendation on a hard drive enclosure to transform an existing 1 TB to an external drive?

Don't do it yo. Enclosures are what will cause your data to be wiped when it fails and your drive is still good.

I suggest if anything something like this amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Duplicator-Function-EC-HD2B/dp/B0759567JT/ref=sr_1_19?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1532569160&sr=1-19&keywords=hard drive dock

It isn't to big a commitment. You put the drive in and use it when needed and just pop the drive out when you're done (or leave it in). Plus you can use two drives per dock and also clone from one drive to the other and shit.

>Don't do it yo. Enclosures are what will cause your data to be wiped when it fails and your drive is still good.
I've never heard of this before. How common is this?

It's happened to me a couple times. Not sure about everyone else. They might not happen all that often but logically the enclosure IS another part to go wrong in between your computer and the drive which can complicate shit. Definitely better off without that if you can tell and I've opened up a lot of enclosures and looks like they were assembled with zero fucks given.

I just don't trust them anymore. I do have a couple externals still but they are STRICTLY backup and I do mean strictly. I ONLY plug them in to copy data to and set them back in my closet. I pay attention to any odd noises and do eject them through Windows before unplugging.

But most enclosures are simply just a SATA to USB interface. Why would it cause data to be wiped? You have a point about the ones sold as "external HDDs", that often do have the drives soldered in.

Attached: 170831234615226834.jpg (900x900, 79K)

>expensive

HDDs were never cheaper.

ebay.com/itm/232861736770

2 TB external $40.

amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532572049&sr=8-3&keywords=western digital blue 1tb

$43 isn't very expensive. You could probably find some 3TB Toshibas for $20 more.

What are you talking about? They are really cheap. How much do they cost where you are?

Buy an external drive with enclosure, tends to be cheaper or equal in price to buying the enclosure extra.

It doesn't. The other guy no doubt bought one of those cheap 'n' nasty cases that cheats in >2TB support by pretending that the drive has 4KB sectors. It ends predictably when the USB-SATA board fails (which they do frequently), and you plug it directly into SATA, or non-cheap-shit casing that exposes the 512(e) geometry.

This the cheapest external I can get for a 3.5" 1tb WD?

amazon.com/ORICO-Toolfree-External-Enclosure-Support/dp/B00GAML7OK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532563383&sr=1-3&keywords=external+hard+drive+enclosure+3.5&refinements=p_36:-2100&dpID=31HqiBQCLSL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

Forgot link.

1TB hard drives are fucking cheap you poor ass shitposter, aren't they like $50?

Don't bother with SSHD's. They are a questionable technology with an additional point of failure and risk for not much payoff. Their caching controllers are not accurate. Save towards a better drive or SSD.

1TB 5400 rpm if laptop, otherwise 1TB 3.5 7200rpm if desktop.

I reread your post.

Get a 1TB 2.5 5400rpm drive and a USB3.0 enclosure so you don't need to use a power adapter. Don't move the drive when its mounted or you risk scrathing the head into the platter. Don't press down on the chasis to slide it out of a dock of an enclosure while its running. Pinch it horizontally and pulll back. Not down.

heed my advice despire my disgusting reddit spacing. holy shit.

Yeah guys don't buy dedicated external enclosures, just get one of these ridiculous hard drive toasters that literally do the same exact thing except also encourage hot swapping hardware that isn't meant for it while ensuring that it's stored without proper protection

Imagine being bullied into fearing paragraph breaks

Yeah.

It's spastic, isn't it?

Fear not the Jow Forums autism.

I agree if you're doing technical stuff with hard drives a dock is superior. But for someone who just needs a quick archive drive to connect and move back and forth to a PC and a drawer, an external is a better solution. You want a plastic piece of shit block sitting on your desk 99% of the time doing nothing? Then add a USB cable and power cable flopping around for no purpose.
I don't, for his needs, enclosure is better.

go back

... To your room, silly child. The grown-ups are talking.

>Don't get an enclosure, having something in between the disk and the bus will cause data lose.
>Suggests a product that sits between the disk and the bus.
Wew.

I got several hard drives here, I'll sell you them
I have two 320gb raptors, 2 500gb, and 1 1tb samsung 2.5 inch hdd

retard

get a second hand drive, I have 8 of them.
SMART is all good never had a single problem

They got 4tb WD external hdds for 100 yurobucks at the convince store around the corner from my flat, where tf do u life that externals are expensive?

Fucking Orico and their rubbery anti-slip finish, it's fucking melting and sticking to fucking everything.

Attached: orico.jpg (800x800, 40K)

Orico has like 6 different types of enclosures. Get hard transparent plastics?

That said none of the rubber melted here. Maybe it got into contact with something it shouldn't have.

>I need a 1TB external hard drive. Why are these so expensive?

your bait is shit kid

>want a 2TB hdd
>WD only has 5400rpm models
>can get a 7200 rpm seagate one but everyone screams at me saying seagate is shit
what other options do i have? i dont want a whole bunch of 1TB drives floating around

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-07-26 10-43-32.png (1245x732, 306K)

maybe it's because i'm basic but i see no problem with just installing a regular drive, backing up data to it, uninstalling it and just tossing it in a drawer until i need it again.

kys

>he fell for the SSHD meme

>Maybe it got into contact with something it shouldn't have.
the rubber doesn't like the oil from our hands

What's a good hard drive bay?
I have a probox that's been working good for 5 years but I have more drives that I want to hook up and can't

>eBay hard drives
>Made by seagate

He's lucky if that data lasts a week

ADATA

What's the point of buying an external hard drive when you can just buy an internal one and put it in an enclosure making it an external hard drive?

Internal + Enclosure lets you do both. Externals are just Externals.

Externals are just internals in a case that's hard to open

That just makes it sound like Internal + Enclosure is better.

Is it practical to buy one hard drive enclosure and rotate multiple internal hard drives in to it for the purpose of backing up data?

Or is it too time consuming and inefficient to use one external for multiple drives.

I just use eSATA with my laptop and desktop pc. Just pop that cable right into the hard drive and its good. Hot swappable and no issues after 5 years of abuse... It has lower latency and access times than any of that usb shit - perfect for storing games and other programs