Lets have one of those threads

Lets have one of those threads.

Attached: Ddevm30UwAAEIQN.jpg (750x742, 133K)

Template

Attached: temp.jpg (750x742, 128K)

Vim.

i don't understand people's preferences in text editors

why the fuck do you need to "learn" a text editor?
i use notepad++ on windows and nano on linux and i can't be happier, do these people just want to show off their sick ass custom bindings or are they tihs lazy? you're only writing programs and editing config files after all, seriously.

Vanity.

emacs
>"MUH EDITOR!!! it SHOULD be a complete operating system because of course everyone needs to make their editor into the be-all-and-end-all of EVERYTHING!!! and emacs lisp is like fucking great!!!!! ALL HAIL STALLMAN!"

vim
>yeah i learned it because it works on basically everything you could ever log in to, right out of the box, and it does what it needs to do super fast without any unnecessary bells and whistles.

i kind of smell some bias in your post.

nano is not good for 5k+ line yaml files over a non-X ssh session. but
:set number foldmethod=indent t_Co=256
works fine on every machine i've encountered

Attached: hahaha.jpg (750x742, 198K)

Attached: 93423543.jpg (750x742, 138K)

>i use notepad++ on windows and nano on linux and i can't be happier

what do you use them for?

>nano
typical windoze user. worse than a script kiddie. i would say "install gentoo" but even i can't do that apparently... but honestly, learn a real editor

For me, it's gedit.

as my post said, edit config files and practice writing shitty programs

>script kiddie
So that's what it's for? you're a wannabe hacker?

>5k+ line yaml
i just make a ruby script on the spot for shit like that.

Attached: nano.jpg (750x742, 135K)

ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE ACCURATE.

Shouldn't Java be Rust?

What's the appeal of C over C++

>ed
>not vi

>ed
larper detected

This is why people hate linux

What? Im against ed, for vi.
Not vim, vi.

Hates a kernel because a guy on the internet made fun of his text editor.

Attached: 1515957429769.gif (424x318, 1.11M)

Yep, exactly that. I dont care, linux can remain a cucked OS, thats just more money for me.

Attached: laughing-bane.png (680x523, 485K)

>Not vim, vi.
explain. From my experience, vi is missing a ton of usability features. Things like indicator for what mode you're in, parentheses matching/highlighting, visual mode, visual block mode, the entire set of 'g' commands, more than one level of undo, etc

>respects 4 freedoms
>cucked
OK, Kid.

Attached: 1339550542740.jpg (1000x670, 122K)

>learn a real editor
So, VSC?

Why don't Vim and Emacs users United? Y'know, since every other text editor/ ide is pure garbage

I dont think the devs of most linux distributions mind that it's not a very popular platform. They just want to produce good software.

Besides, calling it "cucked" is kind of odd given how it's taken over every industry other than desktop OS's.

C++ is essentially C, but with a lot more issues because Bjarne Stroustrup is a nincompoop.

>explain.
Its on almost every system, so if you go into your customers system, you don't need to install anything and wont get them upset. Its more that you should know how to navigate it very effectively rather than using it daily. Also, it will show exactly what characters are in a file, even if they shouldnt be displayed.
>parentheses matching/highlighting, visual mode, visual block mode
Those are "nice to have" things, not neccesary things for a text editor

I will say, I dont know enough about vim to know what differences are there.

point and click feels like wielding a BB-gun after having used the machine gun Vim

Just use what you are comfortable with.

Vim is great to lean because 90% of systems will have vi on it. Vim is also great for a quick and dirty edit and works great over a shit remote connection.

Emacs is more for those who live in their editors. It has a bunch of features to make editing code life (including browsers and games)

Nano is for branlets who can't take 20 seconds to learn the input commands of vim and deosn't have the time to rice emacs.

Attached: aab72ce7a11c797b760eb00074255098.jpg (335x500, 84K)

Like i said, i don't give a shit, my shit works fast and fine as it is, i wouldn't need to spend my time learning a gazillion shortcuts just to practice programming and edit config files

ok. it sounds like you just wanted to vent

Outside of professions, not many know how to use linux. That counts as cucked to me. And no, android does not count, no phone OS does.

>i use notepad++ on windows and nano on linux and i can't be happier
Ignorance is bliss

But it's so lacking. I know how to use vi, but I don't want to do so day to day when I can get all the vim nice-to-haves. Same applies to dash vs bash and i3 vs twm.

I am a long-time vim user, but I want to learn emacs, but I'm not sure I should. Is there something I can do to demonstrate the power of emacs to myself?

I set out to do this two years ago. Emacs is still loading.

I know how to use vim. I just prefer nano. I use a proper ide for any heavy dev work.

Attached: 1_AD1e170YTJaiUBypv1H9Ow.jpg (1561x2048, 555K)

You don't know how to use vim

This. Having enough knowledge in most popular text editors is all you really need to be competent, After that it's preference all the way down

Just hit each of your hands with a hammer and you'll get the same end result without waiting a hour for emacs to load

> Linux can remain a cucked OS
Remind me what OS you need to pay in order to literally use your computer. If that's not getting cucked then I don't know what it is...

Somewhat ironically, the purpose of learning and extending text editors is to be able to type less, which typically means getting more done faster.

Yes you can type each character by hand, align things yourself, use external references, scan with your eyes alone. But what if you could have assistance with your writing tasks?

Also for me, in choice, portability is king because I only want to learn 1 thing, for each platform, forever.

I learned Vim. It and its plugins have worked as expected on every platform I've ever used and that's a lot of platforms. 1 config file, made up gradually over time, and I have an editor that works exactly how I want, everywhere.
GNU, BSD, Windows, Haiku, in a GUI, in a terminal, over a serial connection, on x86, POWER, mips, etc.

The only requirements I have are an internet connection and git, but even failing that, Vim by default is usable for me and still better than just a character-by-character input editor.

fucking good post

Using vim is literally as fun as a video game. Even just editing configs or making to-do lists feels very good. I use default binds. Vim is fucking incredible.

You KNOW VIM when yo vim.rc is fucking 5 pages of customization long ya basic bitch!

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 290K)

>can't install gentoo

Attached: 1500844548243.png (222x293, 148K)

C is essentially assembly, but with a lot more issues because Dennis Ritchie is an invalid.

I AM SILLY!

>say that again user

Attached: 1493939916698.jpg (688x529, 86K)

vi can be faster. Which isn't really a good thing for programming.
>implying this numale bloat vim exists on something outside of linuxes and BSDs

nano is better!

>I'm going to state that I don't know anything about a subject and then claim that my uninformed opinion matters BECAUSE I'm uninformed

Attached: Untitled Diagram.png (521x515, 431K)

Attached: 1532571184915.jpg (750x742, 146K)

Attached: 1532571184915.jpg (750x742, 191K)

ed is the standard text editor

Attached: edisthestandardtexteditor.png (750x742, 804K)

Attached: 20180726_121859.jpg (750x742, 276K)

C++ is essentially C, but with a lot more issues because Bjarne Stroustrup is a nincompoop.

Attached: template.jpg (750x742, 144K)

Both of those are bad jokes.

Attached: thighgap.jpg (750x742, 348K)

Small compiler which is easy to implement and thus exists for virtually any platform out there. Try to write a compiler that supports all features of C++...
Because of its ubiquitousness, C is the lingua franca of the computing world.

Attached: 1511930210407.png (500x745, 202K)

faggot

Attached: 1532571184915.jpg (750x742, 172K)

>lingua franca
Don't compare glorious C to shitty formal languages. Only slavic languages are good languages...

Actually true

truth

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-26_18-14-30.png (1280x800, 70K)

>calling it vim.rc

Attached: 1498182672451.png (920x730, 356K)

OC

Attached: 1532571184915 2.jpg (750x742, 156K)

good post. even showing the errors i think C does it better than C++ imo.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-26_18-18-09.png (970x412, 81K)

> ruby script
What ARE you?

Attached: ms.png (750x742, 784K)

c++ is c with classes

Real men code their own text editor.

>linux
>os
opinion discarded

Stable ABI.

what do they code it in?

If you are either A) pentesting or B) work with (Uni|Linu)x in a professional capacity, you need to know VI. It is the only editor basically guaranteed to be installed on a Unix or Linux machine.

Whatever language they want. Figure out how to make linux system calls in your favorite language and you're set

yeah but they need to write the code first.
what do they do, just echo 'code code code' > myFile.code and then cat it back forever?

Vim is cool if you connect to a lot of servers due to its commands within the editor but with DevOps you will be just updating your playbooks and you can write these in the whatever the fuck you want. I'm using sublime for these as it's simple and get the job done.

Idiots that shouldn't program in the first place are less likely to fuck up in the long term. Don't believe the memes about stable ABIs, it only applies to a subset that every other compiled language can utilize as well.
Also don't believe the muh easy compiler meme. As soon as you just build a shitty throwaway toy compiler for your OS where the percentage of frontend code is big enough to matter you might as well implement a language that is easier to compile as a subset, eg. Ada.

No, Richard.

Attached: nag.jpg (804x931, 320K)

Whatever shitty editor they can find on the machine, obviously. The first wizards created the first tools by manipulating the machine itself, setting switches and shit or elaborating a program on paper and manufacturing core memory with the program hardcoded in it. Such wizardly signal benders of the past gave us bootstrapped software so that we need not perform such rituals any longer.

>vim.rc
Lel

Oh my god, where has this post been all my life? Thank you, user.

>Don't believe the memes about stable ABIs, it only applies to a subset that every other compiled language can utilize as well.

pls

The main benefit of C is the idea that you can imagine the assembly it's going to output as you write the code. C++ shits all over that.

Call me when Python can call methods on C++ objects.

Is this a real post by Linus? Link to the google+ post

it's fake

you have big legs

you can tell it's not linus because of the lack of swearing and insults

I don't run any Vim customization because when I SSH into a random server, I don't want my muscle memory working against me.

>>>Linus telling Stallman off
>it's fake
Nooo!

>The main benefit of C is the idea that you can imagine the assembly it's going to output as you write the code.
With any compiler that isn't billys first compiler that holds no longer truth. You have to check the output anyway.
>Call me when Python can call methods on C++ objects.
Right, BoostPython exist through sheer magic, I guess.

>wrapper library that kills all the ABI-related complexity
>can't just load a shared object, have to do boilerplate like def("cpp_function", cpp_function);
>under the hood it just wraps the whole thing with extern C

My sides

Why should I use vi/vim or emacs that I usually use on AmigaOS or pre-90's UNIX for example, if nano, ed or even cat/echo can do it also and a fraction of a second quicker?
You really reek of single user pleb / fanboy.

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)