Mantle

What ever happened to Mantle?

Attached: AMD-Mantle.jpg (2323x1253, 348K)

turned into vulkan

/thread

And DX12, which Johan Andersson, the creator of the mantle spec, proved by posting DX12's manual which was identical

I was wondering why directx via vulkan worked so great on linux.
Now if only OEM would stop sucking Microdick

GPUs should have an extra CPU and games should run 100% off the GPU.

The real question is when will nvidia fix their dx12 performance so game devs are actually allowed to inplement it?

>actually thinking this is holding low level apis back and not game devs being fucking lazy and not wanting to be responsible for so much

Once Gameworks has been fully ported all games will use dx12.

It's known as Vulkan these days.

It doesn't though, I have a AMD card and I loose about 40% performance with it compared to DX on Windows.

It is though nvidia privides incredible support for devs, free devkits, support, documentation, all to make sure games run as well as possible on their hardware. Meanwhile none of this exists for dx12 purely because it mostly benefits their competitor due to nvidia's shitty software scheduler.

>It doesn't though, I have a AMD card and I loose about 40% performance with it compared to DX on Windows.
>t. I don't understand that game devs are shit at optimizing for anything other than dx and even optimizing in general

>turned into vulkan
>And DX12

So two more API's that devs do their best to ignore in a sea of compute-friendly GPU's

DX11 is not related to this though, it's only DX11 to Vulkan, not DX12. DX11 to DX12 is a full rework also as they are two very different animals.

I realize that, but it's far from "working great" like the other user stated.

Well, that's the developers fault, more tools should not equal less outcome, but sadly it does.
Going full retard and removing API support from platforms would be even worse though to force developers.

It's like developers used to laugh over Cell, saying that multi core game engines will never be a thing, yet here we are. If things progress naturally, older APIs will be left without support and eventually developers will be forced to use them, unless development houses themselves start forcing their devs to use them beforehand to gain additional performance.

>incredible support
This is very much a two edged word. I'm discovering little tid bits of this in my job. But nvidia does give technology, funding and marketing to certain game's pc developments, but conversely then has their own demands and requirements such as "must do XXfps at 4k with a 1080ti". The dev I saw didn't get actual on site support from nvidia. Conversely the studio I went to with AMD pretty much used nvidia going forward, at least their tools were on openCL.

It also lands on the publishers. They have absolute bottom tier budgets and studios for the PC ports

>It also lands on the publishers. They have absolute bottom tier budgets and studios for the PC ports
Yeah, but Xbox One and PS4 already utilize DX12 and Vulkan, because they are shitty hardware platforms to begin with, to get as much performance out of them as possible.

They're also DX12 and Vulkan-friendly because they aren't attached to Windows 10 - an OS that's recreating the same problem DX10's attachment had with Vista. Unless MS actually delivers an OS that people want to use with DX12 support, we're in for another decade of games using ancient DX11 calls

This is not really a problem this time around as by Steam statistics, Windows 10 is continuously gaining share. Last time I checked it was the biggest part between 7 and 8 sharing more shares together though.

Congratulations, you've just invented the console. Retard

>What ever happened to Mantle?
It's Vulkan. Literally.

/thread

>DX11 is not related to this though, it's only DX11 to Vulkan, not DX12. DX11 to DX12 is a full rework also as they are two very different animals.
while true, he didn't mention DXVK, which is d3d11>vulkan
there is also two other d3d>vulkan wrappers, VK9 (d3d9), and vkd3d (d3d12)

DXVK is the only one semi working. The other two might as well not even exist the way they current (don't) work.

arguably, i haven't actually seen vkd3d do anything, though that could be because nothing uses d3d12 in the first place

DEAD ON ARRIVAL GARBAGE THAT NO ONE USES