/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 0cd1b44efdfec62d34a204a854f7b721.png (300x300, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/events/rms-speeches.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNU_Screen#Tips_and_tricks
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

my machine uses 50% CPU to render the CSS animations on Red Hat's website

THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF REDHATNIGGERS

install guixsd

>installing a broken OS
when are you gonna stop shilling it?
also i doubt you even use it yourself.

>always quote your variables
Okay, but how do I handle quoting inside quotes? Is it necessary? I reckon I don't need to wrap the "info $address" part inside quotes, but somehow it feels dirty if I don't, because I'm not really certain when echo will pass it as a single string or what not.

echo "info ${address}" | bluetoothctl | grep "Connected: no"

Is there a version of NixOS that has something like runit instead of systemD and that's not freetarded NIH like GuixSD?

why do neither of my ethernet or wifi connections work on arch?

i'm just going to switch to debian or something

your config is probably invalid.
doesn't arch force you to do all that shit by hand?

i had configured the ethernet connection correctly when i installed arch originally then i unplugged the cable later on and now that doesn't work. the wifi just has never worked despite what i do.

you might not have a network manager to auto-fix ifdown ifup. Arch would be the distro to not include those by default.

>doesn't mention how he connected to it
>thinks connecting to a network is different and distribution exclusive
>expects others to solve his retarded problems in a smug way
Just go back to Windows.

thanks

fuck off

This is a friendly thread; we help beginners and don't recommend malware.

>you will never meet RMS shopping a computer bag

Attached: 1532613304393.jpg (1024x768, 491K)

honestly surprised he doesn't make his own or commission from someone and demand to sit on every step so the bag's functionings can't impede his freedoms to know how to operate it.

>tfw discovered wget

Currently DoSing every music podcasts website I enjoy by hammering them all with download requests.

Attached: big_brain_alien.jpg (560x426, 192K)

Just check fsf.org/events/rms-speeches.html for speeches. He's almost always on tour.

Attached: 1532613742679.png (636x425, 390K)

t. homeless toenail goblin scuttles about the country spreading his distaste for capitalism.

haha, I'll repost this on reddit

Fuck off, retard.

Void

Truth hurts doesn't it, Dick?

How do GTK2 and GTK3 themes work? I really like the redmond, redmondxp and next themes but they only work on some windows, not all of them.. Is that because they're GTK2-only themes or something? Is there a way to force every window to use a GTK2 theme?

Attached: 1524330281655.png (593x449, 328K)

Void is in no way anything like NixOS. Void is closer to old distributions, though they do have some new problems.

>Is there a way to force every window to use a GTK2 theme
no, uniform appearance on the Linux OS is a pointless struggle

>no, uniform appearance on the Linux OS is a pointless struggle
it's pretty easy if you stick to basic colors.

I need an easy guide on how to bond 2 network interfaces using network bonding

>please enter things in a search engine for me
stop being a retard.

>uniform appearance on the Linux OS
stop posting.

How about being friendly, faggot.

Linux is a kernel.

What Programm for Linux can turn 2 separate pdf docuemtns into one? It's just two pages and I want to turn them into one document. They have the same size and DPI as well.

friendly != spoonfeeding

libreoffice has native pdf support.

>r/linux
sounds like you know where to fuck off to then.

GTK2 programs use GTK2 themes. GTK3 programs use GTK3 themes. Qt4 programs use Qt4 themes. Qt5 programs use Qt5 themes.

Libreoffice constantly wants to save it as a damn odf file rather than a PDF file. printing to file doesnt really work either because it assumes the wrong pagesize and makes the actual area with text tiny.

How about the File -> Export as... -> PDF function?

Stop spoonfeeding. Teach him to use a search engine.

Reasons to switch to zsh?

Attached: 1532617695974.jpg (800x534, 250K)

you want to brag about switching to zsh while mostly still using bash.

What's the deal with .screenrc?
If I keybind one thing, do I therefore need to keybind every single thing?

No. Next time please check the arch wiki as mentioned in the OP. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNU_Screen#Tips_and_tricks

does bash have typo correction completion? because that's pretty nice

don't forget Tk, FOX, Xt, Athena, wxWidgets, Electron, Java, terminal palettes, terminal app themes, window manager decorations, etc

For cd-ing there us cdspell, using shopt.
No such thing for commands (just TAB).

is it dumb that I bound all my keys for i3 to the F row? it feels slower but way more comfortable that curling my pinky to hit the win key

you could remap caps lock as your super or meta key and use that.

mine only uses 15% on one core.

>mentions nothing about screen keybinds except backtick.
nvrmind. Turns out I just downloaded a shit one from github.

If it floats your boat better, it's better.
I rebound mine to hjkl for vi reasons.

I’m new to Linux (aka I don’t know shit about Linux) and I want to install a distro on my old laptop. It’s got a mobile dual core Pentium and 2GB DDR2. Which distro would be the best?

Why didn't you use your package manager, senpai?

install ubunut

my capslock is unmapped in X due to clumsiness

then bash is objectively vastly inferior to zsh

how do I resist trying to make everything have vim keys? I'm not even good at vim I just like it

I did. (for screen)
I just was curious about what useful mods might be possible via .screenrc configuration.

Only if you're that guy who has fat fingers.

>
debian with openbox or xfce.

Learn it. It's zen. Run vimtutor in your terminal.

If I chose the Debian use entire disk - encrypted lvm option with a sperate home partition. will i be able to maybe change the distro in the future without losing my home folder?

>how to resist
Install Emacs.

yes, you're just telling debian to use your entire disk but make 2 (really three with swap) partitions.

btw, I just found out that if you want to source ~/.screenrc from a running screen session, you need to type Ctrl-a : source .screenrc
Just "source .screenrc" you will duplicate all your windows and shit.

Attached: intradasting.jpg (309x310, 85K)

install qt5-styleplugins and qt5ct. then, set theme to gtk in qt5ct.

Repost from last thread; what tiling manager would accomplish pic related automatically? Basically choosing the container's position on itself rather than guided by the user like in i3.

Attached: container.png (1047x715, 118K)

The extensions available for firefox actually aren't bad.
I just installed one that let me type this in vim automatically, but it's a little scary to have the browser interact with bash so I dunno

probably the one you write yourself.

Out of those, only wxWidgets are common and they adapt to your GTK theme. Even Java programs have that ability as far as I remember.
Terminal palettes have nothing to do with this and neither do window manager decorations.

i'm sure you can configure i3 like that.

enjoy your carpal tunnel

Attached: hmm.jpg (800x600, 136K)

>tiling WMs
>literally using tile patterns as your user interface

>>

haha, will repost this on Jow Forumslinuxmemes

Can't most normal window managers do that? You don't need a tiling one to get that functionality I don't think.
Anyway, I'm also pretty sure there are python scripts out that that you could just bind to a hotkey and they would automatically sort your windows like that too.
Should be able to find or make something for either stacking or tiling WM's.

Only use a tiling window manager if you actually want that form of navigation.

Anyone know of any packadges that allow for OS wide autocompletion/autosuggestions?

Not just for terminal/coding. I'm talking the way your phone/tablet usually works for any typed word.

What's the point of a Linux distro if I don't program and don't care about computers?

-security
-no botnet, spyware similar OOB
-gratis, you get the full version without paying or using another crapware to active your OS
-better compatibility with older hardware
-runs just fine on ancient machines and the latest hardware
-package managers make software installations, update and uninstall ez

Is Black Arch a honeypot?

Anything that uses systemd is.

It's a skiddie os. You can likely build the same packages they offer on your distro. It's just for 'hackers'.

(You) is.

Anyone know how to reset another users password with root? I was reinstalling Debian today and I guess I input the wrong password for my account. I logged into the root account no problem however, so is there anyway I could reset it from there?

Attached: 7EF627E5-B102-4937-B250-39A44A577E2B.jpg (400x286, 136K)

Do you have content on the user acct? Why don't you delete and re-add your user acct?

passwd

oh wow I didn't know this exsisted. What's bad about it?

wifi-menu, dhcpcd, rfkill unblock all

Just google your problems or check the arch wiki

i3-save-tree maybe?

Theres probably a simple way to do this. You could probably write a sequence of i3 commands in your i3 config, and bind it to a key.

Why is the coca cola art on that cup shopped?

Are there any laptops other than Macs where you can tap anywhere on the trackpad to click?
I can't go back to having to click in the bottom left and right of the trackpad.

If you update an service like apache do you need to restart it?

Usually the install script does it for you. If not, yes you have to restart it manually.

depends on the package manager. Some will automatically restart services that have been upgraded, some will not so as not to surprise you.

It's sometimes nice to be able to run upgrades in the day so you have time to investigate and tweak but then not actually flip it over until later that night when load is lower.

Thank you

Just installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, updated... and I want to change desktop enviroment to something darker. Please post some options. All I want is to change the looks, not the functionality. Tryed KDE plasma - didn't like it.

Attached: f38f60015a6ac55011c2109860251331.jpg (1024x768, 67K)

No tiling window manager can achieve sex.

Hi Jow Forums, I need your help.

After a lifetime of using Windows, I finally got fed up with activation woes, driver issues, and update nags, and decided to make the jump to GNU/Linux. I tried a couple distros (Bunsenlabs, Lubuntu and Xubuntu), but they didn't work properly with my dual screen setup (one monitor is plugged into the motherboard's HDMI port while the other plugs to some ancient AMD GPU). Ubuntu is the only one that got it right straight out of the box, so I decided I'm going to use that, at least for the time being.

I have some questions, though, especially regarding the overall feel of the system. I already made liberal use of the Software Center to install some programs, but I'm not a huge fan of the interface. There's no way to use keyboard shortcuts (as a Win user, I was used to Super+D, Super+E, Super+Arrow to snap the window in a specific direction, etc), and the taskbar is kind of chunky and separated into an upper bar and a sidebar for some reason? I'm sure this is all easily customizable but I'm wondering what you guys recommend for a lean and mean setup that's also retard friendly.

Attached: 1380540926129.jpg (480x360, 76K)

Have you tried Linux Mint?

Use xfce. And you can set keyboard shortcuts to do anything you want
>sudo apt-get -y install xfce4
Log out and choose xfce from the session menu. Log in
It’ll look like shit on first login but you can make it however you want to. Every part of it can be changed.
Really you should’ve gone with xubuntu or kubuntu as the vanilla variant has am*zon shitware