How do I get good with Gentoo?

How do I get good with Gentoo?

Attached: Gentoo 2.jpg (180x180, 4K)

install gentoo

Just try to use it as your daily and do everything you would do on your regular operating system. If you can't figure out how to do something, look it up. Eventually it will be like second nature.

Read the wiki..

install *buntu
and
Keep Calm
and
Sudo
On

1. Learn how to recompile your kernel and manage versions.
2. Learn how to set flags. A Gentoo with conflicts is a bad Gentoo.
3. Read the wiki.

by not installing it,

gentoo is a meme, it is not a real functioning operating system, its made to get idiots to waste time on a broken operating system

install ubuntu or debian,

pretty much what said and don't be retarded when it comes to use flags. there are people out there that have every flag global and wonder why their shit is fucked up.
>distro
>operating system
pick one

>she couldn't get Gentoo to work and got her programming panties wrapped around her balls
>t. posting from well-oiled Gentoo machine

Attached: 1520326590483.jpg (237x213, 10K)

a distro is an operating system,
lots of Linux distros and every fucking one of them is an operating system
dont be such an anally retentive dolt

why would i want to spend all day building source code for an operating system when all that work has already been done upstream by many other distros,

you can take your gentoo and cram it up your ass for all i care

Gentoo has a lot of reasons to be installed/used even as a destop os. It gives you the option to gain deep knowledge about linux aswell as knowing exactly what packages are being installed on your sys.

GENTOO ISN'T that much of a meme anyway.

Gentoo has a lot of reasons to be installed/used even as a destop os. It gives you the option to gain deep knowledge about linux aswell as knowing exactly what packages are being installed on your sys.

GENTOO ISN'T that much of a meme anyway.

Yikes I feel extremely stupid. anyway gentoo is extremely stable and reliable and I'm guessing you never tried it because you think you have to compile 100% of the time. slackware and gentoo are truly the best linux distros out there

Well user, say you're getting a house. You can either buy a pre-built house, or build the house yourself. On top of the sense of pride and accomplishment that comes with building your own house, you know exactly how it was built, because you're the one that built it, and are more likely to know what went wrong and how to fix it when your basement starts flooding or the wall suddenly bursts into flames. With a pre-built house, you'd never know the wall suddenly burst into flames because Pedro 'fixed' a nicked wire with a piece of gum, and by the time you've figured that out, you're getting boned by the insurance company. I could go on.

I heard Gentoo destroys your HDD

Uninstall gentoo and install debian

>why would i want to spend all day building source code
You only need to tell portage to compile a package from the source code and your computer will take it from there - you don't have to do it manually.

Attached: 1526437113916.png (1024x768, 52K)

Also it's just the initial setup and getting everything to your liking that takes so long. After that, it's snappy and rock solid, you have built your cozy little nest and it is fabulous.

Attached: 1528682744435.jpg (570x456, 93K)

#gentoo on freenode.

iamben in particular saved me many hours of trying to figure out what the fuck it is I'm supposed to do.

because it helps me work up a sweat and I get to be in the sun, oh wait lmao j/k you just leave the PC for a few hours

by installing arch

>house analogy
Feel free to come down to earth here and there, user. We're talking about installing a fucking operating system, not investing thousands for a hopefully life-long settlement.
>sense of pride and accomplishment
frustration and bitterness*
In fact, for every thing I've tried and people were all like 'oh you'll feel so accomplished and etc.', I've felt only the aforementioned bitterness and frustration and was only glad that it was over.
>you know exactly how it was built
Doesn't mean I'll have any clue how to fix a thing if said thing goes haywire. All I've done is put it in its place as the instructions told me.
>With a pre-built house, you'd never know...
Agreed. But then again, I know just as much or less than Pedro about fixing things, so it hardly matters who's the brainlet putting duct tape on everything in the end.
It is nice to pick and mix what you want yourself immediately rather than replacing later.

t. couldn't install gentoo

looks like you are bitter by either being a brainlet who couldn't install gentoo or you installed it using guides and youtube videos and couldnt customize because again you are a brainlet.

stop acting like an entitled faggot because you couldnt do it. accept it and try to learn.

Attached: mpv-shot0003.jpg (1024x576, 81K)

the benefit of compiling from source is the USE flags, that's really it
like said its only the initial install that takes a long ass time since you're compiling your entire profile. Has been extremely stable for me as well ever since

>then again, I know just as much or less than Pedro about fixing things, so it hardly matters who's the brainlet putting duct tape on everything in the end
Well there ya have it. Take your damn ADD meds and take the time to actually learn what you're working with. Don't be a Pedro.

you must be retarded if you can't handle fucking os

this. I started using gentoo when I was a teen and I failed many times but when I finally knew what I was doing everything became really easy and when an issue came up I could usually fix it myself. when you try new things you do learn but that ignorant user doesn't know that. instead he acts like a smart ass even though he clearly never successfully installed it or even loaded up an iso

trips of truth

Attached: [Ohys-Raws] 13. Welcome To Paradise! (00:02:46.456) 0004.png (1024x576, 487K)

break it then reinstall it