Dumb question

Can I connect my ps4 directly to the internet cable my ISP gave me, without the router?
I've heard that you can get NAT type 1 by bypassing your router.

Is this actually safe?

Can I just use a splitter to hook up my ps4 and my router this way?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, I have very little knowledge on networking.

Attached: playstation-4-pro-vertical-product-shot-01-us-07sep16.png (1000x1007, 756K)

Other urls found in this thread:

portforward.com/nat-types/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, will it provide more benefits than just opening ports in my router?

You can (you could PS 3, even), but it's stupid since it makes using console kind of pain in the ass and if you don't have duplex you'll be alternating between PC and console all the time, unplugging the cable back and forth...which is retarded.

What is duplex?

Wi-Fi is slower and worse on consoles than direct connection through cable, if that's what you're asking about, but it has benefits of using less wires, naturally that's a good thing when setting up console with a TV in a room near a couch and not with a monitor on a PC table.

This is not what I'm asking. I'm already connecting with a lan cable. I'm asking about connecting without a router.

Dual-linked LAN cables. Basically a cable that's split into two separate connectors at the end (usually with regulated length), but still one cable.

Yes you can, as was already stated here . You can directly connect LAN cable to a console.

This is true, but the real problem is always that Sony's networks suck shit. You won't notice any huge performance gains with a wire because the problem is not on your end.

Well, I guess I don't have it. But I'm actually alright with not using internet on other devices while playing online games on ps4. So I will still try connecting directly. Thanks, for the info.

It's not about performance gains, rather than stability of connection. I personally never had problems with Wi-Fi on Sony consoles sheer speed-wise, as I always capped it (PS 4 can allow only up to 80 megabits-per-second both up and down, for example, and I've capped that long time ago even before console was released), but Wi-Fi with them is finicky even with best routers, though I must admit PS 4 has much better Wi-Fi hardware than PS 3 had, so PS 4 is way more stable these days, especially with latest firmware updates. PS 3 was always shit signal quality/stability-wise, even with most latest firmware update.

My speed actually doubles with wired compared to 2.4g wifi. Its still only 10 mb/s from my normal dl speed of 24, but at least its not 5mb with wifi.
This has nothing to do with router either. Was like this with a garbage tp link router my isp gave me and the situation is the same with n66u that I just got. The wifi on ps4 is just shit for some reason, in addition to psn dl speeds being shit as well.

You don't need to do this. Fix whatever your router's NAT issue is, or get a new router.
>Can I just use a splitter to hook up my ps4 and my router this way?
No.

I get shit connectivity in p2p games like souls. My nat type is 2 and the router is asus n66u.

I thought that it might have to do with my provider ip blocking, so I tried using a vpn, no difference.

Type 2 is normal/correct. As long as it isn't type 3, it won't be the cause of your problems.

You still need a modem. It's not going to work without that.

you could plug it directly in your modem, but then there's nowhere for your router to go. Splitter will not solve this. If you're already using a patch cable into your router then there really shouldnt be a difference.

full duplex means your cable/setup is capable of simultaneous upload and download. half duplex means that your setup can only either download or upload at a single instance

anyways OP, for your PlayStation you should be aiming for NAT type 2. You could bridge your router to allow for Type 1, but that'll fuck up all the other connections on your router

I only have router in my apartment, the modedms are installed outside, I guess.
Can I just set my ps4 as dmz to get nat type 1? I've read you can get nat type 1 this way too.

here man i found this, it'll tell you everything you need to know about your playstation and NAT types

portforward.com/nat-types/

You don’t fucking need NAT Type 1. It is not an improvement in connection from NAT Type 2. If you want NAT Type 1, just plug in your PS4 directly to the modem and be retarded.

>You still need a modem.
It's built-in in modern consoles, you moron.

then why do I have shit connectivity in ds3 and bloodborne with nat 2?

>I only have router in my apartment
then your device is a 2-in-1 modem router, which means that you cannot bypass that device. period.

k

but I replaced my isp's router with asus n66u

*rt n66u
which doesn't have a modem

Because you’re retarded.