>Nothing personal kid
How is OpenBSD not a meme?

Attached: c2k15-s.gif (322x300, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/crypto.html
bad.network/historical-my-first-openbsd-hackathon.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Isn't Theo Canadian?

?? There are thousands of hackathons in the US. I've been to plenty.

Use NetBSD.

Your face is a meme, OP.

Attached: DiCIq5wXUAAawZ1.jpg (1200x813, 93K)

USA is probably the worst place on Earth after Syria and North Korea to make a Hackathon nor any other kind of international IT event for that matter: TSA is a big risk for many on infosec, tourist visas are sometimes difficult to obtain, and it's extremely violent/dangerous when compared to almost any other developed country.

Canada, on the other hand, is a great place of international events.

they can't do it because of some cold war era US encryption laws

Now that you mention it, I member some kind of information on the OpenBSD mirror's page about downloading from USA mirrors, something about export laws and cryptographic software.

All I could find right now was this, though.
openbsd.org/crypto.html

Hackathons aren't generally about infosec. The "hack" part of the name comes from how you "hack together" a solution in a short timeframe. Not "hacking into the matrix" kind of hack.

What do people do at hackathons?
Is it worth going as a brainlet?

well in the case of the openbsd hackathon you have to get invited and be an actual openbsd dev

This may give you an idea.

bad.network/historical-my-first-openbsd-hackathon.html

Attached: l2k15.gif (446x600, 47K)

No, he's French Canadian.

Hackathons are fucking retarded anyway

Bsd is a cuck license anyways

Hello guy!

>HURR IF IT DONT HAPPEN IN MUH CONTRY IT AINT IMPORTANT I TELL YOU WHAT
>t.La Creatura

Isn't he south African?

tfw i use solaris 11 at work
no *bsd feels

Canadian here, Calgary is the equivalent of your Mississippi / Alabama. Sorry.

>the country of free
I guess no one want's to get buttfucked on borders

LOL, are you dumb? He is white, not black. How could he be African?

True, but this ain't your shitty SV corporate hackathon: guess who is the main audience for OpenBSD...

masturbating monkeys?

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

Fuck off you useless bot.

>yelling at bots

Attached: replying to copypasta.gif (240x225, 1.64M)

OP here. Dude I thought you died. Nearly 12 hours? You ok user?

is any of this wrong?

genuinely asking, because pfsense is mentioned all over and it made me wonder how a BSD came into the spotlight

Filesystem is correct. Openbsd isn't willing to pull in litterally millions of lines of code for fancy filesystems. They see it as a major security risk and a great way to add terrible bugs in the kernel. Their goals are security and reliability. I hope it is on their roadmap to add at least some kind of filesystem integrity that zfs has. (To handle things like a bit in a hard drive just flipping since it happens)

Sustainability is wrong. Look at the openbsd foundation's money in and out. They are very much in the green.

He doesn't know what he is talking about with security. Linux has had too many to count as opposed to only two with openbsd.

The Standards-compliance part is literally just ask autistic rant. It's not so much about standards compliance. It's about quality. They believe that those things go hand in hand. Just look at their fork of the monster that is openSSL (called libreSSL). They removed 1/3 of the total code when cleaning.

1. pfsense is FreeBSD, which is much different
2. the base system contains pretty much all the tools you need for a modern webserver, including an HTTP daemon with CGI support, X11, Perl, etc. So their lack of remote holes is a big feat. And that's not the only thing they've done about security, they keep pushing the boundaries and implementing latest research in very clean ways.
3. The standards-compliance paragraph sounds much more like babbling than anything else, but I'll bite. Relying on GNU extensions means you're dependent on GPL software to compile the code, and OpenBSD has a lot of historical reasons to stay away from the viral licence. Also, this tends to make code cleaner and more portable, because some extensions are available on some architectures but not on others.

He's not wrong about the filesystem though, but I don't think OpenBSD users are very worried about their filesystem, and FFS is not a bad filesystem by any means.

>bongland legal system
>better than freedomland

t. brainlet

Dutch*

Has to do with crypto export laws and the fact that our security services tend to snatch people and send them to be tortured.

> Doing anything truly security in USA, ever
Have you russian cocksleeves outlawed encryption yet?

Sassy black women?