/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: →
If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: tpgisgay.png (896x1087, 1.24M)

Other urls found in this thread:

laptopmag.com/articles/lenovo-laptop-decoder-ring-what-the-model-numbers-mean
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470-14-Core-i5-7200U-16-GB-RAM-256-GB-SSD-NVMe/273372027486
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Which model should I get if I want to run Windows 95, it should have at least ten hours of batteries?

Attached: GemPro_MacII_Sys701_Word6_About.gif (800x600, 61K)

whos this girl (male)

>roastieposting
kys

390D

Is there a particular version of Windows that won't completely choke on an X100e? It shipped with 7 but it's basically unusable, and 10 isn't pretty.

is this a girl (male)

she looks like she fucks black guys

Just got myself a sweet i5, 8gb ram, x240. It came with a win 10 pro, so I'm thinking if I should dual boot or overwrite it with Linux.

I'm planning on installing Manjaro KDE btw

Attached: elon misk.png (575x413, 171K)

>roastieposting
She can't be a roastie if she has a feminine penis.

who is this qt3.14??

I also need to know.

Attached: Hergus Intensifies.jpg (608x806, 86K)

gril from the /tpg/ discord

A485 when?

ok so i have a sqt tier question
Have a dell latitude E5410 for the past 5 years but i want to know it's exact packaged data or when it was actually created.
can i know it? how to check that information?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-27_01-34-47.png (770x307, 55K)

I would like to spend under 500$. I would like these specs or better:
- HD display
- Intel i5 processor (dual core)
- 128 GB SSD
- 8GB DDR3 RAM
- At least 2 USB ports
- VGA or HDMI port
- Preferably at least 8 hours of battery life running a lightweight linux distro.

I am ok with refurbished products. I want something that won't fall apart on me, and is somewhat light and easy to carry around. I want something with good linux compatibility and open source drivers available also. If possible I'd also like to run LibreBoot or CoreBoot as I'm a freetard. I plan to run Ubuntu or Xubuntu.

Thanks.

oops posted the wrong one

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-27_01-38-10.png (455x356, 38K)

I bought a t430 (intel only) with an i5, can I upgrade with an i7 3610qm?

if it's PGA then sure

Should be absolutely fine. I have a t530 arriving tomorrow with an i7 and got it for €300. Unfortunately the i7 is the 3520m (dual core) and it's 1366x768 but at least they're easily replaced

Help me bros.

I got a T440p with Windows 10. Whenever I leave YouTube open on a tab on Firefox, the audio stops after a few minutes and I have to refresh the page. The problem doesn't happen with VLC.

I don't know why.

Install Solus systemd/linux.

>girl

I don't care what gender it is, I'd destroy any available orifice

Okay the same also happened with Edge after 15 minutes, so it's not exclusive to Firefox. Please someone tell me how to fix. I already tried 2 different Realtek drivers.

No

Attached: 1416014465637.jpg (644x591, 122K)

kek there's a tpg discord?
why?

see
ya kekkin doodlenuts

Dunno, works on my machine.

gen2 doesn't have this problem

I need your help guys.. I want to spend around 400 € and thinking of getting a thinkpad.. I need the notebook for university. Which one should I get? I thought about the T440s.

typical Jow Forums

Attached: OPlZu.jpg (1632x1224, 297K)

o lawdy is that some tizzers?

Does anyone know about the newer models than xx40? I don't know what's good or bad about each generation.

This is what I know:
>xx20 was nice
>xx30 lost the good keyboard
>xx40 went full macbook and lost physical mouse buttons and volume buttons
>xx50 reverted some of that and brought some old design back because it wasn't a good direction
Other than that I'm pretty out of it. What's good and bad about xx50, xx60, xx70 and xx80? They can't all just be the same machine, there must be something.

just t420

i fell for the meme and i'm getting a t420 in 5 days, will i be able to run debian without any major problems?

Attached: IMG_20180726_211406.jpg (4095x2184, 1.24M)

when is the thinkpad x220 2 coming out?

I'll take one with Ryzen Vega CPU, 12+ hour battery and 1080p IPS thank you.

holy shit my dick is diamonds

just came in possession of a x130e, worth it to run something like arch+i3 on it?

>all the pictures taken at mostly the same angle
hm.

alright boys, because I'm having a hard time finding an x200, I'm thinking about getting an x60. How much pain am I in for if I'm using it to code in a normie language, write contracts, and play music at the same time.

T420 or X220

so i cant afford buying a 1080 IPS panel and the eDP to LVDS converter board
best 1600x900 TN panel for T420 that just werks?
FRU number pls

Attached: 1526766817954.jpg (399x400, 13K)

Just get an x220 idiot.

Why would you recommend those

Would hold hands with.

is the w520 libreboot compatible?

Still looking for help

Attached: 1402264268827.jpg (507x426, 59K)

sweetspot between performance, price, features, build quality.

four years and a dozen surgeries later, it's still a man

More like flatpads OP am i rite

Notice how the smile loses more and more joy as time goes on. The eyes gradually lifeless.

Just developing that thousand cock stare

Well, consider my sexuality confused.

Pinpoint the months he got each plastic surgery, Jow Forums. I'll give you an easy one, one of them was at the beginning of 2016

Fuck off that microshit windaids for starters.

i still want an X1 Carbon despite all the complaints about QC / build quality / lottery.

looks like it still ends up being cheaper than an XPS 13 or Dell 7490 while still looking no-frills (sort of, that ugly X1 logo is stupid). Is the parts-lottery as bad as people say it is

What happened to July 2018 A485 release? is lenovo seriously just going to say that was meant for japan only and not worldwide

I have a T530i that I'm thinking of trading in for a T420, reason behing 14 inch is comfy and better screen resolution. Good idea? Please respond.

Attached: 1532556860035.jpg (1080x1080, 63K)

I've got a T430 and want to get a dock. Do I have to get a specific older dock for it to be compatible, or could I get a new one?

It still happens and is really annoying. Someone please help, I just want to listen to ASMR while doing internet stuff.

No

Recommend me a cheap used thinkpad 300$ range
Also does she still have a penis

>scalp tissue expander
I wish I didn't look this up.

DON'T STOP THE SOUND KEEP PLAYING THE SOUND AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN

Attached: wojak singer.png (808x805, 787K)

Just got the x1 carbon; Any changes I need to make before using it?

Install Gentoo

The battery on my ThinkPad died so I bought one of those PHAT chink replacements that stick their ass out the back.
How long til it blows and destroys my PC?

It's a Win 10 thing, I've had it happen to one of my desktops before, I think it's designed to save your internet quota when you aren't 'focused' on the tab.
Don't know what triggers it to turn on or why.

>all those surgeries and not a single nosejob

The fuck?

Got an x230 and I'm not feelin the soft dome trackpoint cap, the little nubs rub me the wrong way, no pun intended. Would either of the others have a less harsh grip on me finger?

I mean, I kind of find the nose to be quote desu.

>Quote
Cute*

Can someone give me a breakdown of what the letters mean in the model names?

I somewhat have a grasp on them just from experience but I'm really not sure.

Attached: DjEBfBXXoAAzP-M.jpg (460x780, 44K)

T470p = p for performance
T470s = s for slim

Thanks but I'm mostly talking about the T, P, X, W, A or E that goes before the number. Do they even have meanings?

laptopmag.com/articles/lenovo-laptop-decoder-ring-what-the-model-numbers-mean

T is the one that isn't cutting any corners and has everything a Thinkpad should
X is like T but smaller and lighter
W is a hardcore workstation with 3D modeling GPUs and sometimes a monitor calibration eye and everything
A has AMD parts I think
E is a cheap version without anything that makes it a Thinkpad, just a normal laptop
P is probably replacing the subcategory of T where T440p was higher performance model

Someone can correct me if I made mistakes, I didn't read it from anywhere, just remembering how it is.

>A has AMD parts I think
A is a T with AMD parts
L is the one between E and T which gets handed to most office drones.

Did they make a 12" A series yet? I don't want a 14" size.

Yep that must be it, thanks. Now if only someone knew how to disable it... Anyone? :(

Attached: 1426451547118.jpg (648x595, 51K)

You mean the A285? It's coming soon. The A275 is also a thing but older.

thanks bros; take this, you've earned it

Attached: DhgpxxZXUAUw3qm.jpg (667x1000, 113K)

Is the MX150 in a T480 worth it? Is it still true that the first part to fail is often the GPU?

Are there many girls there? Will I get a gf if I join?

>How much pain am I in for if I'm using it to code in a normie language, write contracts, and play music at the same time.
The x60 will do fine for that use.

Guys I've got an idea. I've deactivated the WWAN driver (ericsson n5321gw), maybe this will make Windows stop messing with my audio. Will report back to let everyone know if it works.

HOLY SHIT I KNEW SHE LOOKED FAMILIAR

>A285
Is it any good? Would I regret upgrading from X230? I'd like to switch to AMD, I don't like Intel. Apart from the CPU brand I don't really have complains about my current laptop. A nice Thinkpad with AMD CPU sounds great unless the newer models are totally ruined build design wise.

If your url reads >> then the answer is no

It's a Korean pig disgusting, but she got nice hips. I'm kinda torn apart by contradicting opinions.

The A285 is not out yet but it's just an X280 with an AMD Ryzen CPU. The X280 got screwed by Lenovo tho and is now just a poor mans X1.

It does not work. Anyone else have an idea what to do?

Replaced thermal paste on X230, first time I disassembled that little fucker. I was shitting bricks during the whole process until it booted at the end.

Temps are down by around 8-10 C which is impressive.

Just got myself a sweet i5, 8gb ram, x240. It came with a win 10 pro, so I'm thinking if I should dual boot or overwrite it with Linux.

I'm planning on installing Manjaro KDE btw

Attached: Steve_Wozniak_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg (2068x2764, 2.26M)

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470-14-Core-i5-7200U-16-GB-RAM-256-GB-SSD-NVMe/273372027486

Should I try and win this auction?

Just how bad is the FHD screen on the T480/A485? I’m leaning towards the A485, and currently the stuff I’m hearing about the FHD screens are the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

It's "ok" not great but not terrible either.

Disabling "Selective Suspend" in the options of that driver seems to solve the problem, even though disabling the driver itself does not.

I'm thinking about getting the E485, since it has a Ryzen APU in it with some graphics power and is slightly more modern than my current x250.

Is it really that badly made? Also, can I mod it to allow the full 25w cTDP? I really hate how most notebooks have horrible thermals. My current X250 chokes on it's 15w dual core like a little bitch.