/wdg/ - Web Development General

That first coffee of the day edition

Previous:
>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
[YouTube] Web Development in 2018 - A Practical Guide (embed)

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: file.png (600x400, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4
frontendcollisionblog.com/javascript/jekyll/tutorial/2015/03/26/getting-started-with-a-search-engine-for-your-site-no-server-required.html
npmtrends.com/react-vs-vue-vs-@angular/core-vs-react-redux-vs-react-router
seek.co.nz/react-jobs-in-information-communication-technology
seek.co.nz/vue-jobs-in-information-communication-technology
i.imgur.com/OEbxzRD.mp4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Youtube link got fucked up. Oops.
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4

Shhh

I CANT THINK OF A GOOD DOMAIN NAME

Attached: file.png (225x225, 48K)

noob here, I created a svg that uses a fringe font that I had to download manually. That means only I can see it properly, right? Should I convert svgs to jpgs?

any reason you can't just have the pages load the font used in the svg?

And you never will because they are all taken.

So unless you have the 5k to drop on a two word combo then you might as well use something other than a .com

I bet you're having fun though. 90% of the domains you're searching for are for purchase, 9% are unused, 1% are actually being used.

It's pretty irritating.

how do I make sure if a webdev I'm trying to hire isn't complete dogshit

>wanted to have [email protected]
>lastname.com was registered by some real estate company in 1993
>they dont even use it anymore and it redirects to their actual website

technical interview?

portfolio, questions, tests

horseco.ck

it's not in google fonts, got the ttf from fontlibrary.org
I'm looking into it, looks possible.

Are you just looking for a stupid novelty domain name for a personal site? Or an actual product name? I used to have a bunch for the former, but now most are parked. But "gtf.ooo" seems to be open if you want that.

iirc you can't register directly on the .ck TLD. Luckily, for business use, they offer .co.ck. But I think they require you to be a resident or business in the cook islands to actually register under that.

Won't adding an @fontface rule just work?

what 3 or 4 frameworks should i learn? is it worth learning django AND rails?

what's the 2018 alternative to frames?

>for business use, they offer .co.ck
>.co.ck
kok

video

Nav bars

What's the most efficient web stack for hosting on a vps? What I mean is I don't care about how slow it's for the user - I mean how little resources it would use on the vps, so I can afford that shit. Would I gain much by using something like Wt with C++?

Attached: 2244.png (267x189, 3K)

>myhuge.co.ck

What's the best way to implement these across multiple pages? HTML import doesn't seem to have widespread browser support.

php include?
idk I'm a web-brainlet

>sitting here for 20 minutes trying to find out why i keep getting NaN for a calculation inconsistently
>absolute value was in the wrong spot so it was trying to take the square root of a negative number every once in a while
>mfw brainlet

Attached: sad.jpg (552x364, 33K)

Thats what all those meme frameworks are for.
Build a navbar component. Import it. Done.

I don't have any web projects, but I want to learn Java Spring, because I might need it in the future or for jobs. Good idea?

Use software that supports complex numbers desu

go onto indeed and search for java spring. If it looks like its in demand, go for it.

frontendcollisionblog.com/javascript/jekyll/tutorial/2015/03/26/getting-started-with-a-search-engine-for-your-site-no-server-required.html

Should I dare to do this?

What are some books I should look into for learning web development?
I've been using the mozilla resource in the OP to learn HTML, CSS & JAVA and it's very good for an intro, but I want to know what books I can look into so I can use my schools library to read up some more on web development.

That's the future, so yes.

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP
I cant start server when i type npm run dev there is error message after 400 of successfull "builds":

ERROR in ./src/app.js
Module build failed: TypeError [ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The "path" argument must be of type string. Received type undefined
at assertPath (path.js:39:11)
at Object.dirname (path.js:1270:5)
at /home/nedlo/fullst_react/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:353:36
at /home/nedlo/fullst_react/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:375:22
at Array.map ()
at OptionManager.resolvePresets (/home/nedlo/fullst_react/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:364:20)
at OptionManager.mergePresets (/home/nedlo/fullst_react/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:348:10)
at OptionManager.mergeOptions (/home/nedlo/fullst_react/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:307:14)
at /home/nedlo/fullst_react/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:349:14
at /home/nedlo/fullst_react/node_modules/babel-core/lib/transformation/file/options/option-manager.js:369:24
@ multi main
webpack: Failed to compile.

ERROR in ./src/app.js
Module build failed: TypeError [ERR_INVALID_ARG_TYPE]: The "path" argument must be of type string. Received type undefined
This wont help me, because there is no undefined or null in app.js. Here is /src/app.js

import React from 'react';
import {render} from 'react-dom';
import { Provider } from 'react-redux';
import { createStore } from 'redux';
import article from './reducers/article';
import PublishingApp from './layouts/PublishingApp';

const store = createStore(article);

render (

document.getElementById('publishingAppRoot')
);

should i use grunt, gulp or webpack?

Attached: 1476386178497.png (612x491, 98K)

try updating your babel core

i typed npm audit fix, and then it compiled successfully. Thing i am worried about: i use older book with older versions of some of the tools, and audit fix automatically updated them. I am worried that not all that code will be working with new version and that i will be stuck in "dependency hell" or something like that

Attached: brainlets.jpg (511x288, 24K)

>i will be stuck in "dependency hell" or something like that
welcome to web development

Attached: 1530236841703.jpg (750x573, 45K)

Do you still need to do -webkit prefixes all over the place in CSS? I took an animation that used them and took them out and it still works on Chrome

lmao, this made my night.

So I usually build and launch my own projects, but this time I'm working with someone else.

It's a great experience and I recommend it.

>using a book for web dev

it's automatically out of date. new versions come out all the time and you'll get so frustrated if you're following a book

>Use 3rd party libraries for every trivial thing that would take less than 20 lines to implement yourself.
>Uses bloatstrap for something as simple as front-end styling because they're too lazy to learn CSS.
>/wdg/ wonders why they're suffering from dependency hell with 500MB+ node_modules folders.
The absolute state of /wdg/

what do you use then?
web pages and videos can be out of date too

Not the guy you're replying to. But Official docs on the official site.

I'm working in a project for a brick and mortar store that wants to offer their products through an online shop. What's the best CMS/Framework I can use to build the site for them? Preferably free/open software.

most docs/web resources display dates prominently on the page, and a lot of them tend to explain which version explicitly they're talking about
with books they tend to have to be a little more vague, and have stricter republishing rules which prevents them from releasing a new book every time a new node version comes out for example.
in comparison, you might be able to find a resource like eloquent javascript which updates fast(er) on the web, but still publishes a book once in a while too

>^ is a bitwise operation and not exponent
how could I have forgotten. no wonder this was coming out so wrong

Attached: 1390088638322.png (645x773, 10K)

>@media screen

we get it

Is redux with react a meme or is it actually useful?

What do I use if my react system needs more flexibility than is possible with a single global state?

>What do I use if my react system needs more flexibility than is possible with a single global state?

Component level state

Redux is useful for complex applications that require multiple types of components to connect to one data source regardless of where those components are rendered.

>Entry level dev job
>Allows employees with associates degrees to apply
>1-3 years experience required
Damn, so close. Also what's with all these applications asking for such a weird combo of skills. I saw one require that you know the LAMP stack and a dozen other things.

Attached: 1529358034076.jpg (743x729, 154K)

You can also just use Context as well, but it's easier with Redux to persist the data that you want for repeat visits.

Is vue a meme? It has 100k+ likes on GH, so certainly it has surpassed meme status, right?

>js framework
they are all memes

People typically star projects on GitHub as a way of bookmarking it for learning it later instead of actually using it. The ones people use they don't tend to star.

If anything, Angular is gaining traction

npmtrends.com/react-vs-vue-vs-@angular/core-vs-react-redux-vs-react-router

Attached: file.png (1147x778, 138K)

wh...what happened dec 31 and june 3

Attached: 1418315217524.jpg (480x454, 33K)

Looks like outages or planned maintenance. June 3 is interesting because Angular instantly shoots above the other popular react libraries

Will sites like these take away web dev jobs?

Attached: sq.jpg (333x244, 6K)

Sites like squarespace and wix will prune all the shit cunt "I program using HTML and CSS" idiots.

People who are competent and have basic skill/can think won't be affected.

Drag/drop UI websites have been around forever

foo/images/bar.jpg
or
images/foo/bar.jpg
?

All the job postings that say they want people who know Java Spring are probably lying.

Remember that "We're looking for someone with X number of years in Y framework" is just a secret code for "We're too lazy to train our employees and we would literally hire anybody who has even tangential experience with the concepts involved in this framework if no one better comes along"

/ComponentName/{images|resources}/bar.jpg
/ComponentName/index.js (exports ComponentName.js as default)
/ComponentName/ComponentName.js (imports ./resources/bar.jpg, ./styles.css)
/ComponentName/styles.css

seek.co.nz/react-jobs-in-information-communication-technology
seek.co.nz/vue-jobs-in-information-communication-technology

>233 jobs vs 22 jobs
Look at the listings on Vue as well, none of them have "Vue" in the job title, it's probably somewhere like "Experience with other frameworks like Vue is a bonus"

what about global stuff? ie headers, navigation, etc

how much would facebook pay me to vertically adjust the text?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-27_03-04-06.png (523x49, 2K)

about 3.50

why do you need this, someone explain it to me

everything it does can be done very easily with wsgi httpd and sqlite

Attached: 1.png (333x151, 3K)

What is the concensus on elm?

it's a meme like coffeescript

squarespace has been around since forever dude, I forgot it even existed until you brought it up

I use 0 libraries and write everything myself

Attached: 4.png (549x413, 93K)

wordpress

Why is Safari such shit?

Attached: input date.png (1039x409, 57K)

It's definitely cool, but money & job wise, meme

Vue is not a meme. It's a genuinely good framework that's just not popular in Western markets yet. It doesn't help that it doesn't have a tech giant endorsing it.
If you specifically want a job in developing Vue, check on local postings first. Otherwise stick to Vue/Angular.

>Angular is dead React won.
lol

why do you need a framework? just use jquery

Hi /wdg/

How would I rewrite this using fancy destructuring assignments?
let label;
if (selected.length === 0 || selected.length === options.length) label = 'all';
else {
let selection = getSelection(options);
label = selection.text;
}

The return from getSelection is {keys: [1,2,3], text: "item1, item2, item3"}
I'd like to assign straight to label but I get various problems when I try.

Are you retarded? Just convert the text in the SVG to curves. Something like "Object to Path" in your meme editor.

i.imgur.com/OEbxzRD.mp4

What do you guys think of the pwa video editor im making?

gif was just over 4 mb

Attached: 2ngapsz09cc11.png (1024x1365, 2.43M)

why do you need jquery? just use document.querySelector

>absolute value was in the wrong spot so it was trying to take the square root of a negative number every once in a while
Years ago in my final year project, I was working on some trucking software that tried to estimate the cut that a trailer would go in when a semi-trailer combination turned a corner. There was a formula that the company used in-house for this.
When I implemented it, it worked ok sometimes but failed other times with a "NaN error".
It turned out that modern trucks had way larger angles that the front wheels could turn than older trucks, practically 45° in some cases. The formula assumed a much smaller value and then subtracted that from a constant. It meant that the value went negative on modern trucks and then I used that negative number to calculate a hypotenuse via square root and ended up with a complex number.

I ended up having to sit down with one of their engineers and we got out my first-year calculus text book and tried to redo the formula from first principles. I think I ended up doing a decent job of it actually.

>I've been using the mozilla resource in the OP to learn HTML, CSS & JAVA
> HTML, CSS & JAVA
> JAVA
> schools library
Are you 12?

What kind of "web development" do you plan to do in the first place?

label = ['all',getSelection(options).text][(selected.length === 0 || selected.length === options.length)?0:1];

diaf

>backed by google
>dead
???

I wanted to impress my coworkers with ES6, not get fired for codegolfing in production.

What is the usual process webdevs undergo to have a production Git repository on a server they can push changes to from their own computers in order to update the site? Is it just a case of initialising a repository on the server and then git remote add origin ?

hate css

then you have to tell me more than "I get various problems" you faggot

same lol

They probably use it for mail desu desu. Check the meme record

I know that feel bro

I saw that roadmap meme github by that sandnigger in the OP, but that looks like a clusterfuck

what learn path do (You) think is best for a potential new webdev /wdg/

I'm not at a PC but I suppose you need to do
let {text: label} = selection

Which won't work because you wanna change the label var defined earlier

Its actually not a bad road map, for someone experienced looking back it does seem like a natural solid progression tree for catching up with the big bois.

Try to stick to it, becoming a good webdev requires a determined mindset.

Attached: 1529862706703.gif (500x540, 2.9M)

>Your Whois is missing these fields
>Status: clientUpdateProhibited
>Status: clientDeleteProhibited
>Status: serverTransferProhibited
>Status: serverUpdateProhibited
>Status: serverDeleteProhibited
is this bad? Namecheap doesn't seem to offer these options.

It's only a clusterfuck if you're trying to do literally everything on it.
It branches out for a reason. Pick one route based on what your goals are.

>Which won't work because you wanna change the label var defined earlier
Yeah, that's the key problem I think.

How easy is it to accept payments with ETH, BTC and DOGE?