Why do most Windows Games not work on Linux?

Even with programs like WINE, most Windows games just don't work on LINUX. Why is this? Is it the windows API?

Attached: daym.jpg (1264x1337, 305K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/72E_2jbojZY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Linux is shit. That's why.

If QT is the equivalent of the win 32 graphical API, can you just port everything to QT and have it work?

I'm rather inclined to think your just stupid, instead.

>Why is this?
Because games aren't written to work under windows.

>your just stupid

Obviously you are too stupid to make good money. That's probably why you have shit hardware that can't run a real operating system.

>Even with programs like WINE
With latest versions of Wine, you can effortlessly (with no issues whatsoever) and easily play with full FPS/graphics roughly 92% of PC's entire gaming backlog since the DOS days and up to DirectX 11. That's, like, 16000+ some gaming titles released throughout several decades from all around the world. And even more than so - Wine allows to circumvent/bypass such "limitations" of actual Windows as, for example "some Japanese games, like Illusion's works and etc., require of you to have strictly Japanese Windows, or you can't install/play them". In other words, no more need in retarded "wrappers", "cracks/hacks", or other shit like that. What, not enough for you yet? Wine is officially a part of ReactOS, and that should tell you a lot since ROS was recently shown to be able to play modern and old games alike very well ALREADY, even considering it's still in a pretty raw/unfinished/unpolished state.

You’re setting it up wrong. Use lutris.
>2018
>no vulkan
It’s like you want to struggle
youtu.be/72E_2jbojZY
Worse than iTodds

Games are not open source
They are created in order to make profit and not for the improvement of people and developers so they are ideologically incompatible with Linux

The same reason why every new version of Microsoft Office saves in a format infinitely more obscure and retarded than the last: Microsoft works very hard to lock you into their software and that means destroying any chance of cross compatibility at every opportunity.

sorry, i'm not trying to be entitled, its just in my experience most of the time when you try to run a game on WINE it breaks.

I dunno if thats cause I' supposed to fiddle with it to get it to work or because Linux doesn't have all the tools I need to get it to run.

> That's probably why you have shit hardware
I have a Titan X and run Linux, lol. Try affording that poorfag.

Fun is enemy of communist state. If havink fun, no ist working on glrorious GNU.

oh, so lutris has the DX api included so you don't have to fiddle with it?

I think you are confusing free as in beer with free as in freedom. Devs still gotta eat.

If it "breaks", there's either:
a) bad Linux distro/build of a distro
b) old version of Wine
c) your hardware's not good enough

Mostly due to DirectX being shit proprietary closed API that Wine devs are forced to reverse engineer.

Hey man, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it

Like it or not, our reason to exist is to make the life of every other being better, but personal interests get in the way

I mean most games you can get to work but they typically don't work well. I'm having to break down and just dual boot at this point. I don't have the time or will power to fuck with gpu pass through either.

There's no incentive generally to make things compatible. The install base is miniscule and Linux is only prevalent on servers.

Because the games and the libraries they interface with are all opaque closed source crap and you need to replicate all the behaviour including the obscure often undocumented edge case behaviour for it to work properly. Most games I'm aware of that don't work on WINE are:
DirectX 11, which wasn't implemented in WINE when I was last using it (think that might have changed since?).
Dependent on some recent .NET library that hadn't been implemented yet.
Using some kind of horrid anti-cheat, which is code specifically written to make it difficult to do things like WINE.

because linux isn't real.

Linux users are perfectly satisfied with Tux Racers. That is their gaymen.

If they wanted 1st person shooters they'd come out with Tux-life.

Go away. Come back when you have grown up a bit

Linux is a kernel. At worst it's responsible for the hardware aspect. Wine is a program (or set of programs?) that translate Windows instructions into ones Linux understands.

It doesn't work because it's not set up properly and the folks at WINE don't do anything to set it up for anyone.

The guy you're talking to is neglecting to mention that most games require these tweaks.

Why are his floating books on fire?

fpbp and /thread

Attached: 1516893344899.jpg (2443x1629, 670K)

>he's not setting his floating books on fire

Attached: 8c3.jpg (496x496, 146K)

The answer is convincing developers to make native versions of their games for Linux.

Attached: life-is-strange-linux.jpg (1920x1080, 155K)