Is it learth worning OpenGL

Is it learth worning OpenGL

Attached: v8gl2.png (658x500, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/3D-Computer-Graphics-Alan-Watt/dp/0201398559
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid's_Elements
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRIWtICgwaX0u7Rf9zkZhLoLuZVfUksDP
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes, vulkan is a meme and even if it does succeed there's guaranteed to be a lot of opengl code floating around for a long time

No. Both Vulkan and DirectX are better. Unless you intend to maintain legacy systems, there is no point. Just learn Vulkan.

vulkan is dead
learn something else which has a future like metal or dx12

>opengl in javascript

Attached: 1517021410730.gif (413x243, 51K)

The most popular OS in the world supports Vulkan so it's not dead.

Not if you want to do anything 2d.

That might be quite self explanatory, but i spent far too long figuring this out to not share it with the world

also this

If you want to finish your project don't learn any low level API.

What for?

Yes, it is.
It's just an API, and while it is a bit obstruse, it's not like it is super hard to learn or use.
The most annoying thing is that you sometimes have to watch out that you are padding your data correctly.
If you want to support anything that doesn't have Vulkan support (for example old intel integrated graphics), then using Vulkan isn't possible.
Also Vulkan isn't really easy to use either, I would say it's more hard to learn, and learning opengl first is a good idea.

>Don't learn the only API that's completely cross compatible user! Learn one that locks you into an OS instead!

>opengl
>low level
lmao brainlets, when will they learn

OP, read a book on theoretical computer graphics first. This will apply to literally everything you do in CG, all APIs, all levels of abstraction.
Use this: amazon.co.uk/3D-Computer-Graphics-Alan-Watt/dp/0201398559
it's good shit.

When you understand the theory, then learn fixed function OpenGL. Get the first edition OpenGL Programming guide (red book). I swear it used to be free on opengl.org, but I cant find it. After that you can move onto programmable pipeline opengl version 3+, or directX or whatever. It'll be much smoother this way. If you just jump right into opengl version >=3, it'll be very difficult.

>book from 1999
Is this person serious

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid's_Elements
>book from 300BC

Kill yourself retard.

Woah, that strawman sure showed me. But tell me first, why are you suggesting programming for hardware that doesn't exist using techniques nobody uses?

Because it lets you get right into exploring fundamental concepts like polygon meshes, texture mapping, scene graphs, animation. Without having to worry about the more advanced concepts of the rendering pipeline, lighting etc. So you can actually be drawing cool shit on your screen while you're learning about how it's really done under the hood.

Presenting a noob with a wall of text and saying LOL DUDE JUST PASTE THIS DANK SHIT, DW JUST IGNORE IT FOR NOW XDD, is the quickest way to put them off from my own experience.

no. people are moving away from it, macos flagged it as deprecated this year. learn vulkan if you want cross-platform. don't believe people who tell you to learn it first to ease into the next step because it won't, vulkan will be difficult to learn at first either way.

OpenGL is a terribly designed garbage that share nothing common with other APIs, don't bother unless you're doing webgl stuff. Android already moved on to Vulkan with Oreo using Vulkan for UI rendering, Linux and all Windows since 7 support it as well.

>it'll be very difficult
no it won't.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRIWtICgwaX0u7Rf9zkZhLoLuZVfUksDP
here's all you need.
theory, code and that's it.
don't forget that you can do it in your fav language,
I use sdl2 and I enable an OpenGL renderer.

Ευkλείδη muh niggah, teaching geometry 'n' shiet.

lmao dude learn all this boring shit before you can draw your first mundane peice of shit, this'll keep you interested for sure :)))
honestly, the rope is that way

Attached: 1476301693370.png (245x300, 39K)

Nice bait

Just learn its basics, begin to create some simple shut with it, maybe a simple 3d engine.
Then go for more high level shit : you'll use your opengl background to understand how the game engine you're using work. And you'll be able to understand its shader language quickly if it's not the opengl one

>Not if you want to do anything 2d.
OpenGL has worked perfectly well for me for 2D.

yeah learn something which is cross platform but each platform has just slightly different implementation which is enough to make a code work on 2 platforms but breaks ot the third

>MOOOOOOOOOOOOOM I POSTED IT AGAIN

Attached: 1509140802373.jpg (383x367, 51K)

>fixed function pipeline

yo use 3.3+ atleast

have you made anything using vulkan?

yep, it's comfy and you can easily port your skills to webgl for [spoiler]web development[/spoiler]