Line editors thread

This is a thread dedicated to line editors.
With the recent text editor threads being posted, I wanted to make one about this rare but unique type of editor
I feel that line editors are true command line tools. People like to call vi/vim, nano, and emacs "command line editors"
but they're actually TUIs. They don't run on the actual command line that all your other commands are run from.

So share your experiences and thoughts on these editors. Maybe you used to use edlin on an old DOS system back in the day? Maybe you use ed now?

Resources:
sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/actually-using-ed/
cottagedata.com/utils/ed/ed.html
computerhope.com/edlin.htm
help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/base/edlin.htm

Attached: ed.png (1046x356, 43K)

ed > everything
/thread

I am gonna learn ed to familiarize myself more with the other Unix commands. Also seems fun.

Me too. sed seem to be in many ways the same sort of thing. Although from my limited experience ed seems a lot better. you can do stuff like $-10,$ to perform an action on the last 10 lines of the file, but sed throws up an error when you try to do the same.

Ed isn't hard as I tought it would be. Probably I will transcribe a text to practice it.

ED IS THE STANDARD UNIX TEXT EDITOR

Is there really any reason to use ed when you are comfortable with vim?

What edge do line editors have over TUIs? Is the capability of being used in a shell script their main advantage?

That does appear to be their main actual advantage. I'm mostly interested in them because autism, but you make a good point. You can't exactly use vi in a script

gunna try and make a command line emacs
it's already possible to send commands to emacs if there's a server via emacsclient -e

I unironically use ed for quick edits and writing small scripts.

sam is the best line editor, its what Ken Thompson the inventor of ed uses.

You can still use vi as a line editor in ex mode

Isn't that the mouse-oriented one? or was that acme?

that was acme, acme is a completely graphical workspace environment that includes an editor

descriptions of sam seem very similar to that.

I used Edlin in early 90s. MS-DOS 3.20.

I use edlin in 2018.

Do you like it?

ricers are fucking hipsters

on the subject of edlin, from what i've read, 32-bit versions of windows still have it. 64-bit windows doesn't though.

I run various DOS systems in VirtualBox. That's how I use edlin.