Advice on a gaming laptop

Hopefully this is the right place to ask....
I’m a truck driver with no room to set up a gaming rig in my truck. It’s not MY truck, so I can’t mod it, and there’s just no way without modifications I’d feel safe having a tower in there. So I’m looking for a good gaming laptop somewhere around $1.5-2k.

I’ve always heard great things about Asus, so I have been looking at pic related and a couple others I will post below. I’ve mostly always been a console gamer so I know next to nothing about PCs.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who has any advice on these, or any better options.

store.asus.com/us/item/201804AM060000008/A17602-ASUS-ROG-Strix-Scar-Edition-GL703GS-DS74-17.3”-Gaming-Laptop,-8th-Gen-6-Core-Intel-Core-i7-8750H-processor-(up-to-3.9GHz),-GTX-1070-8GB,-144Hz-3ms-display,-16GB-DDR4,-256GB-PCIe-SSD- -1TB-SSHD,-Windows-10

Attached: 0B569E90-B144-4102-BFBF-F149A051133C.png (1536x2048, 981K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.asus.com/us/item/201806AM060000001/-ASUS-ROG-Strix-SKT-T1-Hero-Edition-GL503VM-SKT1,-120hz-15.6
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154945
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3609vs3639
youtube.com/watch?v=HPVCTLPNUzo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>gaming laptop

Here is the 2nd Asus. Basically my biggest question is, is the price jump between this one and the one above worth the extra dosh?

Attached: 456DCA1F-76E3-4AE7-AD7B-0A7480BDA223.png (1536x2048, 1.1M)

Forgot to post the link

store.asus.com/us/item/201806AM060000001/-ASUS-ROG-Strix-SKT-T1-Hero-Edition-GL503VM-SKT1,-120hz-15.6

When will people learn that PC gaming is not expensive. Get yourself a lap with a mx150 and kill every console in reach for like 600 bucks

I know. It’s the best option in my situation. I am well aware it’s not the best. It is however best for me.

That’s why I am asking. I don’t know these things. I don’t know anyone irl to ask either.

buy the top one

Can't you bring a console with you or something? To me the idea seems kinda awful. I'm guessing you often won't have an internet connection which would suck for modern gaymes and their DRM schemes. Gayming laptops also have a tendency to overheat.

go to youtube and search best gaming laptop under 2000 or in google, faggots here won't help you that much.

shut the fuck up and come out of 2007.
a console is a stupid idea, he can play offline lr something, he can have a useful tool if he doesn't want to play aka a fucking laptop. good laptop nowadays have decent thermals. fuck off.

mx150 is worse than a 7930 retard

Just buy a xiaomi notebook with i7 8550U and mx150, it will be good for almost everything you'll ever throw at it

I couldn't get myself to justify such a price for a gayming machine. I'm just trying to help OP not do something he would regret but it is up to him.

>RGB
Get one that doesn't make you look like a manchild
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154945

dont listen to the ones saying you should get a laptop with an mx150 graphics card... is basically a gtx 1030 and that shit isnt that good for triple a games, if you want to go full on graphics and all of the good shit a 1060 is the lowest you can go, with that budget id go with a 1070 but you can even get laptops with a 1080 but it would sacrifice some other parts of the laptop, just look at reviews.

used xbox ones are like $120 and will play most gaymes you'd play on a PC
honestly it's not worth dumping that much on a laptop with a 300% markup when a console works just fine

>the keyboard can display any color so i MUST set it up like the marketing shot and make it display a rainbow showing off all the colors
>here have this hideous piece of shit with actual red highlights on the chassis
Fuck off moron.

its not working, just give up, go try to troll someone else

just use your ipad, cocksmoker

Attached: 1515626939751.jpg (1000x615, 183K)

again just go to youtube or google something like "best gaming laptop under *your budget*" and see the reviews. the try hard kids here won't stop throwing random shit to fuck your buy.

>They don't bring much culture into their products
Am I supposed to read this and be impressed? Because I'm just mildly irritated by how fucking retarded this line is.

Dear sir,

Please do the needful and provide me with the following information: What games do you plan on playing? Are these the only two laptop choices? Is your brand fixated on Asus? Is 2k the Max?

Regards your fellow white american male,
John RajeeshPanjeepCurry Smith

Trolling?
That was the first post I made in this thread.
Explain to me how spending $1k+ on a laptop he'll use for a few hours or so at a time (when they're loading the truck) to play gta or whatever is better than just getting a used console.
I don't play video games so maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me you're just a delusional fag who thinks that PCs are better in every conceivable way while trying to convince OP to get a $1,500 laptop
Protip, his life probably doesn't revolve around gaming like yours does and a console would work just fine for his needs.

>but it seems to me you're just a delusional fag who thinks that PCs are better in every conceivable way while trying to convince OP to get a $1,500 laptop
Not that guy, I got the exact same impression

Very wrong place to ask. Go to reddit or anandtech. Everyone here is mouth breathing retard

I tried having a tv and PS4 in my other truck. The tv didn’t work out so well. Until I can mod my own truck, a tv/console combo makes about as much sense as a monitor/tower.
These aren’t the only 2 choices I am open to. I just don’t know much about pc’s, but have always heard good stuff about Asus. So I started looking there. They always come up on the best lists too.

>I don't play videogames so maybe I'm missing something

exactly

i like consoles, specially the ps4 because of the exclusives, but:
a console: plays videogames, stream shit on Netflix and stuff.
a laptop: does that and way more, its a fucking computer that not only you can carry everywhere and setup everywhere, it plays games way better than a console.

so yeah, maybe spending more than 1k on a laptop is a bad idea for you, but you can get a decent one with a 1060 under 1000.

I knew most answers would be trolls or assholes, but I don’t know anyone irl to ask. Thanks for the advice on other places to ask user.

either let pajeet help you here by giving him the info he needed (just what games you're gonna play and what you expect from the laptop) or go to youtube/google.
dont expect much from these retards, they will only give you their opinion which they see as facts.

I am in the Army and have to bounce around alot for work. I have a gaming desktop at home and bought the MSI GE62VR laptop last year for $1250. It's great and has done everything I asked of it. I play games and am able to do my school work on it. Get something with similar specifications and you will be alright. Check out the Acer Predator Helios 300 and their v15 line.

Minimum you're looking for is a laptop with an i7 7700, Gtx 1060, 16gb ram, 128gb ssd, and 1 tb HDD. That should cost around $1200. If you can get a gyx 1070 with those other specs around $1400 then that's a good deal. MSI and Acer are your best alternate brands to Asus.

>The tv didn’t work out so well
Why didn't it?

Dear sir this is John Smith,

Thanks for providing the needful.

I mean they're both good, but the 1070 8gb is worth it, and ensures you'll never run into an issue for your usecase. Might as well as go best, unless that $200 is going to break the bank.

Here's a comparison, showing fps increase, user benchmark increase, etc.
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3609vs3639

Regards,

Rajeesh--I mean, John Smith.

As for game sits mostly be stuff like X Com 2, Total War Warhammer, Pillars of Eternity 2, Vermintide 1 & 2 and stuff along those lines. Basically RPGs and RT/TB Strategy games.

Thank you kind sir. The 200 burger bucks won’t break the bank. I just wasn’t sure if it would make a positive difference.

Yeah it isn't going to make a 200fps 720p vs 4k difference, but it is a noticeable (worthwhile) increase, plus it'll handle newer games in the future better if you ever choose to do so. I suggest going with the higher end GPU model if it won't break your bank, and you can comfortably do so. Otherwise you can get away with the 1060. Personally in your shoes, if I knew I could spend the extra $200 dollhairs, I'd go that route.

Cheers.

Yeah but tbdesu it would still be miles cheaper getting an Xbox one and a cheap used web browsing/movie watching thinkpad (totalling about $260) than buying a 1.5k laptop he'll use periodically
Honestly it all just sounds like a very bad idea to spend that much on such a trivial thing, especially on a trucker's salary
Now don't get me wrong, even though I don't play video games I would very much recommend the gaming laptop but he's just not gonna use it very often, which is why I would get a cheap laptop and a cheap console that will fulfill all my trucking needs if I was him

What games are you playing? You want latest greatest or are you a nostalgist?

I have heard good things about Asus laptops as well if you don't mind the weight

Can't you just tie down the console and the tv?

You’d be surprised how much down time there is. Only allowed to drive a certain amount of hours a day/week. Not coming home every week means I when I get down time I’m stuck in the truck somewhere.

Fuck off console nigger no one asked for a fucking peasant box

You don't know what you're talking about so quit running your mouth.

for all gayming and gayming peecee discussion

Yeah gonna go with the Scar. I’d rather spend a little extra money to have something that might stay current a little longer.

>hurr gaming isn't technology

Go back to your battle station or keyboard thread then faggot. Stop shitting up this thread

If its what you want. It will give good graphics. 8GB Video RAM is pretty epic for a laptop. You will probably want to get a cooling base for it if you plan long sessions, because laptops can pump a lot of heat.

>battle station

Imagine being this autistic. I remember years ago when gaming threads were just expected here.

What do you think the vast majority of people use the newest and most powerful hardware for? Just fuck off already you autistic prick.

Already looking at cooling options and mice. Anything specific you recommend looking out for with either one? Thanks again Rajesh.

That’s why I am just ignoring these faggots trying to shit up my thread. It’s Jow Forums. Everyone came here for games or tits in the beginning.

If you looked at the Link I posted you have an overall minimum 30% increase just in the graphics department. Cheers, enjoy mate.

The quote is actually from Steve Jobs you dwindling retard

i came here for the rekt

Nothing particularly. The most important thing is you should have replaceable RAM at least. It might be worth getting a controller depending on what games you like. Using a mouse for extended periods at weird angles can fuck up your wrist. If you need a mouse get one with adjustable DPI. Logitech make good stuff. It has a small price premium but I think they deserve the rep. Otherwise just get some chinkshit. I get a teknet I have been using for a few months seems ok so far but is is still a little flimsy and shit.

the most powerful hardware is used by people working with cad and render farms
maybe if you had a job and weren't a pathetic manchild you'd know this, along with the fact that video games are for children
fucking nu-Jow Forums I swear, gookmoot should add a consumer electronics board for you pathetic manchildren to jerk off about your gaymen peecees
this is a free as in freedom board and most video gayms are inherently nonfree
install gentoo and stop being a manchild

Literally nobody is going to see him using it, he'll be in the sleeper of his truck.
Think function over form.

I said the majority dumb fuck. Most people aren't doing that you two-bit bigger.

>that uggo as sin decal or whatever
nani the fuck

He's trolling you, you dumb dumb

Most people have jobs and don't game either.
Your point?
You're a worthless drain on society, and your only crowning achievement is how much you can hopelessly grind through the newest Jew shooter.
Have fun, and oh yeah, your hot pocket's gonna be done in a few seconds.

Leave OP alone this is a blue collar board.
Phoneposting faggot.

He's not OP, OP is and he's alright I guess, he has a job at least

Most jobs don't involve what you mentioned you fucking dumb nigger

Check how many steam players there are alone you dumb fuck

And they're all 12 years old

I'll chip in my two cents. Get this one OP, if you're serious about getting a good gaming laptop. It's actually really good. I've owned an ASUS ROG before, and they are some pretty neat laptops.

lmfao

Everyone who's not a workaholic engages in some form of recreation to let off steam.
Some people watch TV, others play video games, others play sports.
Looks like you're using your abstinence from video games as a way to feel superior to other people without actually having to do anything.

t. manchild

>should I engage in discussion?
>nah, name-calling is good enough for me

well... I can make a recommendation, take a look at cube cases, thermaltake has a few, the main thing is the motherboard is horizontal and the case is wider than normal. you can mount the bottom of it to a piece of wood making it even wider and there is no risk of it tipping over unless you flip the truck, on top of that because its horizontal rather than vertical, even going over shitty roads won't damage parts as the load you would put on it through bumps is not stressing the motherboard nearly the same way.

If you absolutely need a laptop instead, I recommend looking at alienware, as last time I was looking their higher end shit is some of the better in the desktop replacement class. though, sadly the market for desktop replacement has vastly shrunk over the years making anything more expensive. there was a time finding an sli laptop with top end parts was not much more then desktops of the same spec.

>t.

Attached: .jpg (600x364, 23K)

personally I cant play games on consoles, the experience is just to shitty, If I had a job that saw me away from home most of the time, a gaming laptop is something I could fairly easily justify

Granted in this guys case, it could possibly build a computer and do it that way, but if a laptop is needed, going gaming isn't the worst choice, he is in one of the few uses cases where the niche makes sense.

wood to stabilize on the go, and when you are ready to play, monitor on top of case, hell you could even mod the case to house the monitor on top permanently, mine could easily hold my old 1200p monitor, however I would get a friend to weld the top on if that was the case

If the truck is yours, as in you use it exclusively, I would recommend building a wooden frame inside.
youtube.com/watch?v=HPVCTLPNUzo
Take a look at that, almost everything is built non destructively through wooden frames. if you make the wooden frame for your back portion fit very snuggly, you could easily have a moddable area inside and a non destructive way to do it.

Truckers don't make bad money, my uncle is pulling $75k/yr.

Don't to this retard.

Im only going to say this once. If you want the best bang for your buck and value. Get the acer predator helios 300 for around $300 its all you need. Or get the first one you posted thats even better in every regard and has a way better screen l. The screen is very important especially if playing in bright sunlight on your truck. So research one with a bright good screen and has at least a GTX 1060 or 1060+ (1070 or 1080)

Or dont listen to me and fuck yourself.

OP i meant $1000 not $300 see my post here