pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a build guide for your socket
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>Don't use Speccy, you retard. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.

Overclocking
>Use PBO on Ryzen. Legacy overclocking is defunct on Ryzen 2#00X CPUs. youtube.com/watch?v=FC3fsVk9Sss

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>Only Z300 series Intel boards can utilize fast memory

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings 1080p, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 /w Freesync, 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>Lock to 72fps on 144hz non-Gsync monitors with Nvidia cards to prevent tearing on more demanding games
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous:

Attached: Voodoo5-.png (1920x1080, 1.58M)

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1628751-official-amd-ryzen-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/Grmn29
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352084&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
superuser.com/questions/958685/heatsink-compatibility-for-the-new-intel-skylake-processors-lga1151
hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Need a PC for reencoding animu and shitposting. I have $600 worth of parts around the following:
>Ryzen 5 2600
>16gb Trident RAM (2x8)
>GT 1030 (fanless gddr5)
>mATX B450 board
>used Corsair CM500 PSU

I am seriously considering returning all that to Micro Center and just getting a used optiplex with i7-6700 for $500 and adding a GT1030 to it.

It looks like 2600 is about 30% faster than the i7-6700 without OC. Is it worth it?

What are some good umpc cases for the raspberry pi? I want something with a clamshell/laptop form factor. Is there a list somewhere?

I need some hard drive storage. I'm looking at about 4TB split between two drives (one for backup).
>First question: how much am I really losing with a 5400rpm drive compared to 7200rpm?
>Second: What's the best drives for me based on the above result?
They will be used mostly for file storage but that would include potentially large videos files. Also might store some games on there but I haven't ran out of SSD space for that yet.

Attached: file.png (728x529, 454K)

5400rpm is fine for that. The extra noise and vibration isn't worth the increase in spindle speed.

navi when

5400rpm is obviously much slower, while in addition being harder to find (especially these days)

just go with 7200rpm drives

5400 is .75 of 7200. That's the performance difference if comparing otherwise similarly specced drives. I have a 3TB Caviar Green that does 144MB/s, and my 7200RPM Seagates do 200MB/s.
5400/5900RPM will be fine for video storage. I just did a test off my Green and didn't notice a problem even with ordered chapters, where the player has to scan every mkv in the folder to find the UID's.
I believe the new 2TB Caviar Blues are 5400 or 5900RPM so you could go with those.

I've got a bunch of video cards for sale.
was going to do a rendering farm but plans changed and decided on leasing time on cloud instead.

30x Vega 64's and some Vega 56's
what do?

Craigslist, or find a reseller (though you'll take a hit on that since they have to make a profit) Or send them to me for a total loss but I'll be able to sell them to buy the workstation I need.

I'm not in a good area for CL.
Thinking about running them through Amazon market. Anyone have any experience with that?

I think this board is mostly NEETs.

Do you still have the boxes and accessories? The store you bought them from may be willing to do a return even past the usual window for a restocking fee.

What's the point of getting a 1080ti for a 4k monitor if none of them have gsync...

Yeah, all the stuff for them.
They have been unboxed and installed on the motherboards back in october-ish But haven't been powered up since december I think. They were past the return period at that time.

My video card keeps shutting down during load. It doesn't overheat so I think it's a power issue. Is there a way to stress test a PSU just to make sure? I don't have another computer available to test the PSU.

Is GPU VM passthrough a legit way of keeping windows in a VM for muh games?

Is R5 1600 better value at $10 cheaper than 2600 since it comes with a better cooler? I'd rather not waste another $30 on a cooler so it comes out to $40 cheaper imo.

Haha, yeah I watch that jewtuber too, OP.

Is there anywhere I can get LGA1155 MicroATX or even Mini ITX boards that don't cost over 100 bucks? PCIe Gen 3.0 is preferred, everything else I don't give a shit about

Attached: 1934827234812.png (635x168, 117K)

How much CPU do I need for a home media server?

why are you guys even wasting your time. Everyone knows that it is cheaper to get pre builts now with the sky high prices of RAM and GPUs.

Finally after three months I bought all the parts for a computer and I am pretty happy with it. The only thing I need to buy is the case because the one I was planning to get went out of stock. Hopefully everything is able to get here in the next week or so

Did you guys know that Micro Center will open up a CPU box even if you return it unopened? Then they send it back to the manufacturer.

so what?

you are going to mess up your build bro. should have gotten a prebuilt computer.

I'm at an i3-8100 with 1060 6gb. what should I upgrade my processor to?

This. Ima return all my parts and buy a HP prebuilt.

Everything under a 8700 doesn't make much sense.

hey lads recommend me a sub $500 monitor for someone who mostly watches movies and some light gaming. Also IPS vs VA?

everyone i asked said an i5-8400 is good . thoughts on that?

It gets really hot.

All that would do is adding 2 cores. The single core speed increase is minuscule.

so either go up to an 8700 or don't bother?

my psu is 500w and I'm just using the stock cooler from the 8100. Would I have to get anything else or would I be good just swapping in the 8700

I'd definitely not run the 8700 with a stock cooler. Apart from that you should be good to go.

I don't know much about VA but IPS displays are brone to backlight bleeding and ghosting

just finished installing pretty much eveyrthing with a ryzen 2600x and a 3000mhz c15 kit, how do i test if the oc on the memory is stable?
Following this overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1628751-official-amd-ryzen-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread.html

i downloaded memtest, opened it 12 times because of 12 threads and each one with 850mb, is that correct? until when should i let it run?

Looking for a new monitor that I can use mainly for gaming, competitive FPS type games like Siege specifically

>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
Under $400, preferably under $300
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
Using a 4GB 1080, will be for gaming. I typically clock around 100FPS although it can easily be raised to 140. Got a 1600x if that makes a difference

looks good

If you're not planning on overclocking with the 2600, then the Wraith Stealth should be okay for the time being. However, keep in mind that overclocking the 1600 is possible to some extent with the stock cooler, and B350 motherboards require BIOS updates before being able to support Ryzen 2 chips.

On PS5 release

Hey guys I have a few questions I just finished building my first pc and I wanted to know what are the recommended suggestions of programs on how to stress test my rig and monitor my thermals it gets really hot where I live I already have HWInfo and Ryzen master are those good enough?

>opened it 12 times because of 12 threads
uh, what? Boot off the usb/disk for memtest, and select all cores/threads in the settings menu.

I personally do 8 passes, but some people do 4-6, some people do 24 hr duration, etc.

>An instance needs to be opened for each individual thread.

Please help I'm retarded

I'm trying to install the stock cooler for my 2700x but I can't get the bracket on one side to clip onto the little plastic lip thing (side nearest me). I'm doing my best to push it down into place with my finger but it's taking a lot of force and I'm afraid I'll damage something if I push harder. It's like it can't reach down far enough. The bracket with the lever attached hooks on just fine though, it seems like it's significantly longer.

I'm afraid to remove the cooler entirely and try placing it again because I don't want to fuck up the thermal paste. I'm not sure if I have any extra paste laying around.

I feel like a fucking idiot but I've never installed a heatsink that gets attached this way.

I managed to get it on, hope to god I didn't fuck up the CPU. I've built PCs before but I've never had to apply that much force to a component. I know you don't need to be gentle with them but god damn, that was a worse experience than my first time using the lever on a ZIF socket

Here's my list
pcpartpicker.com/list/
I actually ordered everything except the case because it was out of stock. I'm pretty happy with the build (wish the price was lower but at this point I can't do anything about it). Can't wait for it to get here so I can actually run more than 5 games on medium or high settings.

I'm autistic, here's the link
pcpartpicker.com/list/Grmn29
Still happy with what I chose

Are there really any differences between any of the IPS screens?
The 27" 144+Hz IPS screens have very different prices between the ASUS ROG, AOC, Viewsonic and Acer versions. But they're all the exact same screen panel aren't they?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Grmn29
you shouldn't be

>shoveling all these incredibly expensive parts into a $25 case
buy a prebuilt

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Grmn29
25 dollar case?
just spend 80-100

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352084&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Looks pretty good, also why the hell is everyone saying to buy a prebuilt pc, is that the new meme or something?

will the stock cooler on the i7-8700 work for an i5-3570?

Seems so.

superuser.com/questions/958685/heatsink-compatibility-for-the-new-intel-skylake-processors-lga1151

I can't find where that is documented in the memtest guides/website.

Probably because you can get a prebuilt for cheaper than what you're doing?
Check out the Inspirons on Dell Outlet.

thanks user

lol i loved that lgr episode
prime95, unigine valley
some have less thicc bezels, better stands, mounting

what's up with the prebuilt shill lol
that's cool at a low budget but it'll be unbalanced and restrict upgrading in the future

hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html
>How many instances of MemTest: If you have a multi-core or multiprocessor machine you can make the memory test more effective by running multiple copies of MemTest at the same time. Start at least as many copies of MemTest as you have cores and then divide the amount of RAM to test between them equally.

Currently it looks like this, not sure why some instances have more %, i started them all around the same time.

Attached: memtest.jpg (2560x1440, 769K)

Pick related, and that's BEFORE the 17% off they have going on right now.

Attached: Capture.png (266x871, 47K)

I'm getting vega 56 next week
Should I prefer one manufacturers over others or just pick whichever is cheapest?
In my country currently gigabyte is cheapest (619€) and sapphire is 650€

if there is another memory test that you recommend i will probably do it anyway but tomorrow since is kind of late

Oh, my bad. I thought you were talking about memtest86. People use just "memtest" for it a good amount of the time.

With 17% off due to coupon code 17DOsitewidec12, this is in your budget.

Attached: Capture.png (295x872, 60K)

cheap cases are CHEAP. i remember ordering one for my first build i think it was in 04 and the case so so flimsy you could permanently dent it with just one finger's pressure and nothing in it could hold its shape. Every side flexed and popped in and out. fucking terrible. Looking back the funniest thing I remember it was that it came with a psu that I USED.

live and learn kek.

4k is a meme until they make 4k hdr gsync 165hz+ monitors and cards that are power efficient and can run 4k at high fps maxed out. Give it another year or two.

prebuilts have wtf motherboards and trash tier PSUs

Dell PSUs are stout and the mobos work fine.

So strix cards are starting to go down in price in my country. Is a 1070 enough to do 1080p 120hz(my current monitor) on current games or should I get a 1080? I’m planning to play monhon world this august. The 1070ti is not an option as its 2.5 slots and I’m on an itx case.

1080 obviously. Unless you wanna play at lower settings in which case get the 1070.

i would like to play modern world of warcraft on this pc and overwatch and similar
how should i attempt on upgrading it?

Attached: Capture.png (477x408, 22K)

Where do you live and what's your budget?

isn't monhun rumored to be 60fps locked? if you have the budget for it, just go for the 1080 tho the 1070 isn't a bad purchase either.

Are there any real differences between the IPS montiors?
I'm specifically looking at the
>aoc ag271qg
>asus pg279q
>viewsonic xg2703-gs

As far as I can tell they all use the exact same panels and any advantages in one can be achieved with changing settings in the others?

I sent my mobo two weeks ago because of this and they told me yesterday that the motherboard has no problem and is working properly. What can the problem possibly be?

Attached: DSC_0645.jpg (3840x2160, 2.29M)

eastern europe and like 500$ i would say

so you unattached your motherboard and sent them it and it worked ? some hardware you are using then maybe ram or procesor

Yes, The pc is running properly (all ram and cpu cores detected) i just can't access the bios

try taking out the mobo batery for 10min in order to reset it maybe that will help
you will ahve to set the date afterwards

Get the pg279q.

I tried that and i tried resetting the bios. Both didn't work

Please stop baiting the newbies into buying shit computers. It's hard enough building a computer for the first time without you fucks trying to troll them.

Check clock speeds, TDP, warranties, and VRAM and make a decision from there. Most often the cheapest is the best bang for your buck but there's sometimes cards that are worth the extra expense.

VA is like a good version of TN. Fast response times, minimal ghosting. It has the same issue of poor viewing angles but it's far less pronounced than TN displays. VA typically has better contrast than IPS but worse colour reproduction. They suffer most of the same blacklight bleed that IPS does but not as badly.

IPS is generally more expensive but it does depend on what you want to do with it that should determine what panel type is preferable.

That should be enough for a Pentium G5400 build, or an i5 2500 off aliexpress.

I printed a 3dfx t-shirt. Am I an official hipster?

Dude, shut up.

Attached: speccy1.png (3289x1053, 347K)

>Windows 10 Home
Oh wow...

Thanks, will get the 1080 then

You don't even know the difference.

Aliexpress build:

i5 2500 with 3GB GTX 1060 and 8GB DDR3 1600 for $370, missing a PSU, case, and hard drive. Just reuse your old hard drive and case and find an Antec VP450 or Corsair VS450 (or similar)

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1200, 189K)

I'm . So if I mostly care about video quality (watching television and movies mostly) I should look for a VA panel?

would you say it's worth it to spend another £70 overall for a 500MHz cpu gain?

My pc suddenly stopped working for no reason and when i looked inside, a capacitor was fried and two were bloated like a balloon. The motherboard has no warranty and i have no other option so how hard is replacing a capacitor and where do i buy a specific capacitor? I do have a thin soldering tip and a sucker

Attached: 1530434828954.png (640x400, 119K)

>>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>purpose
Gaming and watching anime
>graphics card
Uh, my Thinkpad x220
I've never owned a 4k monitor. Is the Dell UltraSharp 27 4K Monitor (U2718Q) a good deal? I can get it for about $500. If there's a similarly spec'd model out there, let me know

From what to what?

It depends on which cpu.
If the difference is only clock speed and there's no difference in cache, bus speed, microearchitecture, etc then no.

Question for anyone who can possinly asnswer it--built my entire PC from scratch, did everything by the book. Now.....what's this? AFTER ALL THAT FUCKING WORK, IT HAS 32 GB OF RAM IN IT BY IS INLY SHOW THAT IT IS PICKING UP 8.....SO, SEND BACK TO CORASIR AS T AND THEY SEND EN\\d

Good to hear.

shit that aint bad for 500 lol
the 1060 3gb is a bit overpriced though.

You wont be able to get to 4k res with a x220, max supported res for intel HD 3000 is 1080p through hdmi and 2500x1600 with DP

another one gets fucked my corsair's QA.
i'll say it as i say every time someone comes in and has a defective corsair product:
please stop buying corsair
i used to talk to their pr reps on the daily and they legit know their products ship defective often. it's not like secret shit, they make so many products they can't be expected to QA everything. so just buy from another company that has a reasonable policy.

Good budget motherboard I can use with the i5 2500?