Jow Forums - Laptop size: 13 Inch or 15 Inch

Hey all. Looking for genuine advice on which laptop to get. I will be buying either a 13 inch or 15 inch laptop tomorrow and am having trouble deicing. (dell xps through work, if it makes any difference).
I'm thinking I would like the 13 inch, as the portability appeals to me and performance isn't a huge issue.
However, I do like to watch youtube and browse web side by side, which may not be possible on a 13 inch.
Let me know your thoughts, and if anyone has a 13 inch laptop, how comfortably can you use side by side windows.
Thanks.

Attached: 13or15.png (1279x720, 1006K)

Let me answer your question with another question.
What do you favor the most, portability or specifications?

Personally, I always go for a 15 Inch, no matter the prize, because of the increase in performance and the screen real estate.

I'm exactly half and half between screen real estate and portability.

13 inch

All I really want to know is, can you comfortably do pic related on a 13 inch?

Fortunally we live in an age, where the difference between a 13 Inch, and a 15 inch is just a few grams.
So if I were you I would get the 15 inch model, specially when you will be using it for programming.

>t.manlet

I have done it on a tablet so I would say yes but I guess it depends on you.

Commercial linux developer here. I have a 13" with CentOS installed that connects to an external monitor (34" 4K) and love it. I can pick it up and (lightly) go wherever and everything Just Werks...

3 years ago I did the 'screen downgrade' from a 15.x" Dell XPS to a rMBP 13". I was a bit hesitant at first, but at the time portability was slightly more important. Fitting the 13"er into my backpack was never an issue, while I needed a full-blown laptop bag for the XPS. In terms of screen space, I guess I just got on with it. I wrote my PhD thesis on the MBP, so that was certainly fine - but I can see how that might not be enough for some, even if you have a hidpi screen.

As others said, you can always hook up an external/docking station if you're stationary. Hauling a 15"-er is no fun if you do it every day.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking too. How comfortably can you do pic related on your 13" macbook?

Alright-ish, I guess.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 10.48.21.png (2560x1600, 1.49M)

fuck okay, that actually looks decent. cheers for that mate.

I've been using my mbp 13" with external monitors all over the place but its fine on its own with the smallest scaling option, i guess you can do that on any os nowadays, this looks absolutely massive

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 12.01.55.png (3360x2100, 312K)

>13" or 15"
>not 3x 13"
imagine being such a screenlet

Attached: a8873c2a2de45360e07499c500cb7a27-usp1-01.png (1505x649, 913K)

14"

Neither

Attached: programming_socks_thinkpad1.jpg (1709x1139, 741K)

13 for sure. Portability is WAY better, it might not seem so until you try it but it is.
I would almost never recommend a 15 or even bigger laptop.

Two windows side by side will not look good on 13" screen, but they won't look good on a 15" screen either. Get an external monitor for that.

This some fucked up shit dude.

Yeah you are not wrong I guess

Keep in mind I'm on a retina screen, so it's 220ppi or something like that. If your screen has lower ppi, it'll render the image in gargantuan proportions.

14 for me.

Have 12.something and it's too small for comfy work.

what u got? thinkpad carbon x1?

Panasonic cf-c1

hey what's some lowcost laptop that can run 4k 60fps HDR content on hdmi or dp?

There was a leak a little while ago that the next generation of XPS notebooks could be using a 3:2 screen ratio like the surface line.

So it might be worth waiting a few months for that. We might see the first 3:2 notebooks from dell when they refresh the 2-in-1 to Amber Lake