I'm a normie who is very busy and doesn't have a lot of time on his hands. However I would like to try Arch...

I'm a normie who is very busy and doesn't have a lot of time on his hands. However I would like to try Arch. Should I install it and try it out or is there too much time commitment for somebody with a job and social life to dedicate to?

Attached: Archlinux-icon-crystal-64.svg.png (2000x2000, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/revenge-installer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Manjaro

/thread

just use mint

way too much time, even if you find a perfect guide for your ideal setup and preferences, you'd still be setting yourself up to spending long hours troubleshooting some stupid shit after an update. updates fucking up your system are not a meme.

the devs break stuff then post on the website telling users to do manual fixes

Pretty much this.

I used Arch for 2-3 months on work laptop. Worked great until an update borked it. Went back to mint xfce. That was 2-3 years ago.

if anything large breaks, you can be sure to at least find it on arch page. installing it doesn't take very much time unless you have never used Linux before. People who tell you that Arch constantly breaks are memeing and likely blindly install outdated packages from the AUR

Only the initial install and configuration takes time. Backup configs once you make them and it's a once in a lifetime task.

>normie
>very busy
nigger don't pretend that normal users are interested in fucking around with config files

default configs are enough and are easy to adjust if you use a decent DE

this
install it and have a life

Attached: ArchHelpFile.png (924x3386, 281K)

sourceforge.net/projects/revenge-installer/

Here, an installer for vanilla Arch.

install gentoo

Install void linux and good riddance to systemd

good riddance to packages and updates

It's a meme distro that's only good for educational purposes. It's not the machine for productiv work unless you're a programmer or some shit. A computer is a tool not a toy.

slackware will never break down from updates

You could always use a rpm or deb based distro, lern to build you're own packages and let github/gitlab be you're AUR.

Pros and cons of Mint vs Manjaro?

Mint is an Ubuntu LTS with Cinnamon running. Manjaro is Arch with Cinnamon running.

>No time
>I-install S-slackware

>Manjaro is Arch with Cinnamon running.
Manjaro comes with a choice of all the big desktop environments.

I've got 5 Arch machines, once it's installed it takes no more time to maintain than any other Linux.Ignore the tards crying about breakage.Rolling releases are no less stable than anything else. And before the naysayers start slinging shit,I challenge anyone here to find one LTS release of any distro that has an empty bug report.

been running arch on my laptop for well over 2 years now, stop bloating up your systems with crap and you won't have problems.
Also, update frequently, it helps..

>I'm a normie who is very busy and doesn't have a lot of time on his hands
No you're a lying piece of shit
>Should I install it and try it out or is there too much time commitment for somebody with a job and social life to dedicate to?

Again you lying piece of filth, installing Arch doesn't take more than 20 minutes, even if you're fucking Putin himself, you can install and setup the whole thing in less than an hour

but you won't, you low IQ lying piece of shit

>I'm a normie who is very busy and doesn't have a lot of time on his hands. However I would like to try Arch
... why?

even Stallman admits he cant install linux, he lets others do it for him. Linus Torvals uses a normie distro.
why the FUCK would want to use arch? it requires CONSTANT babysitting, it's a hobby-OS if you have way too much time.

I just cant wrap my head around as to why someone would want this..

This is neat, but it's always a good idea to follow the wiki, a lot of information can become outdated rather quickly.

If you like configuring things, you should definitely install it. They meme it a lot, but things really don't break that often and when things break, they get fixed quickly because of the active user community. For example about 2-3 years ago, they broke bumblebee (NVIDIA's GPU switching stuff), but it was fixed within a day. Since then nothing broke in my system.

However, I gave up Arch for various reasons, because you need to actually set up very trivial things as well, and some of those things are hard to find out because you just take them granted when you use other operating systems. Some sound and font settings are in this category. Finding out the specific thing you're looking for can sometimes be frustrating.

In general I liked my Arch experience quite a lot, basically the hopping sequence I followed was
CentOS -> Fedora -> Antergos -> Arch -> Fedora -> W10 (I have to work with stuff that only works on Windows) and among these, the least problematic was Arch. Most convenient to setup was Fedora.

>Linus Torvals uses a normie distro.
Which distro is he using now? The last I heard was Fedora, but I'm not sure if he still uses it.

Anything can be a toy you cuck. You can play with a hammer even though it's a tool. Go use Wangblows or some shit...

You're a tool.

How about you stop wasting your time on Jow Forums and find out yourself?

yes you should ! its more reliable than any other distro and you make your system the way you want its like gentoo but it installs under an hour

If you just want to try it out then no problem, just install it on a VM and see how you like it.

I have Arch Linux on an old laptop, it's alright I guess. But there was one time when I updated and it just died and had to boot from livecd to fix it