/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1496660628169.jpg (640x502, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunch_atop_a_Skyscraper
youtube.com/watch?v=7QCYDzsQ_yM
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
youtube.com/watch?v=okMGtwfiXMo
warosu.org/g/thread/S49808959
rbt.asia/g/thread/48653055/#48653055
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/48969412/#48969412
rbt.asia/g/thread/48969412/#48969412
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Linux

To reiterate

>I installed Manjaro and I'm trying to get spectrwm running on it, my friend says to activate it I need to edit my user .xinitrc file, but I can't seem to find that file. Basically how the fuck do I install spectrwm on manjaro pls help

Getting this error with virtualbox,
xcb is installed. Reinstalling xcb and related packages and virtualbox its self did not resolve the problem.
Qt FATAL: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb.

Anyone here run GPU passthrough on a VM?
I'm seriously considering it as I'm tired of dual booting. The only thing holding me back is that I also want to the Linux host to not be a crippled mess using the weaker GPU. Is there any way I could switch from one GPU to the other when booting up the VM? I have a RX 580 and have a RX460 at hand.

Attached: 1531732903107.png (692x687, 238K)

Install GuixSD

Attached: 1530484003478.png (1422x1275, 205K)

tried it, got a fucking bullshit error during the installer then wiped the VM.

Nice photo.
By the way, do they have any harness or what not?

It's a hidden file in your home folder. At least, it is in mine.

No wifi drivers lol

Attached: 36749373_2009530675757746_1472320746188439552_n.jpg (1080x1080, 97K)

I'm in my home folder and I can't find the hidden file, I can't seem to be able to view hidden files either

You're fucking retarded. It's explained on the internet in a thousand places. No one will spoonfeed you.

my hot keys aren't working either

install debian lxde
it is the best distro and desktop environment

just install gnome

nevermind everyone I'm retarded and I found it.

Did idiots really sit and eat lunch like idiots near death? Also I don't have Linux, I'm just asking.

Attached: 47748.jpg (150x150, 6K)

Retarded question, but is there an open source E-reader? Can they be jailbroken?

You have to know how to use a computer first.
You can easily replace Linux-Libre with Linux on it. I'm currently using it now with my laptops native wifi.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunch_atop_a_Skyscraper

What terminal programs do you guy use? For anything, mail, music, etc

>You have to know how to use a computer first.
whatever you say, kid.
Let's forget I can install gentoo or debian using debootstrap with my eyes closed; I should be willing to waste my time debugging "may be caused by no space left on device" shitfest errors when my target has barely anything on it space and inodes wise because writing a functional installer is so boring in 2018.

kek. the photographers were a little nuts, too.
youtube.com/watch?v=7QCYDzsQ_yM

Attached: out.webm (640x360, 2.05M)

ffmpeg, imagemagick, optipng, wget, vim, ncmpcpp, mpsyt, youtube-dl, mpv, w3m, tree etc., wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications has a nice list you can pick from.

bios (uefi csm) or uefi for booting encrypted system with lvm? 2 hard drives, hopefully one system only, but if windows vm turns out to be not powerful enough I may go with dualbooting later
thoughts? I never know what to choose and why.

>66921012
I tried it.
Depends on your hardware how it will work. Can be flaky. You can play with CPU settings to allocate cores to VM. (Got a machine with Star2 to work but sound would crack non stop and CPU was 99% all the time)

> Is there any way I could switch from one GPU to the other when booting up the VM?

No as far as i know. You need to exclude the GPU from boot process if they are same vendor.
So when it boots the card reserved for VM is not there.

lol fuck off

also gimme a loonix distro pls

Alright queers, I'm going to need a Linux distro that I can install in a VM.
It needs to be terminal-only, without GUI, and it needs to be fairly lightweight.

I already use Ubuntu on my computer, so I know my way around Linux. But i need this for some experiments. That's also why I don't need a GUI.

Btw, by "lightweight" I mean that it should need less than 1GB of RAM to run, preferably even less than 500MB if possible. But the packages should be fairly up-to-date. Not bleeding edge, but at least comparable to Debian stable.

Torvalds Linux

Debian netinstall.

No. Yes, but they don't have enough memory to be useful for much else.

How many Linux distros are terminal only?

All

I have tried tweaking the xfce4 settings and using goole, but thunar does still not auto mount usb. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?

but if they fall the ground will be your death so if you are on the ground you would be closer to death?

Which hardware were you working with paisen? I'm running an Asrock x370 Taichi with a 2700x so I could allocate plenty of cores to it.

>No as far as i know. You need to exclude the GPU from boot process if they are same vendor.
Not even by restarting X or something similar? At that point it is sort of a dual boot, so it's looking like it's not worth it unless I have extra shekels for GPUs.

>install anything
>uninstall xorg/sway
>create snapshot
there you have a getty you can reset back to whenever you want

What exactly are you using your Linux session for that you need a high power GPU for? The big flaw of GPU passthrough is that it's inaccessible to the host OS. Most onboard GPU can easily manage 1080p video and basic GUI rendering. The normal way it works would have you change the input on the monitor and use that. There is upcoming tech called Looking Glass that lets you capture the frame buffer and load it as a window in the Host computer but that shit is early Alpha software at the moment. youtube.com/watch?v=okMGtwfiXMo

Man I'm sweating just looking at this.

Back when men were men.
Stallman does not belong on that first pic

>lying on the internet

>Back when men were men.
Dunno about that, when it is your job, it is practically the same as exposure therapy

Stallman hasnt contributed to the tech industry since 1981. Most of his "inventions" were just forks to other projects that people forgot that he forked. He is a mentally ill egoist that should be shunned from the community.
He has unmedicated autism

So you would go to a shitty paid job and go 50+ stories in the air with no harness and call it a good day of work jumping around and using heavy hammers throwing you off balance?
Nah you wouldnt.

Attached: igotthewrongbottledwater.gif (240x256, 2.11M)

I assumed you were talking about fear of heights.
>Nah you wouldnt.
What is your point?

And that's plate photography, you gotta stand still with that.

Don't cut yourself on that edge, kid.

>What is your point?
>practically the same as exposure therapy
It isnt. It took a certain type of man to do those jobs and thats why the steel union was so strong. No man today would do that without harness and in those conditions, considering stallman a man of that stature is a direct insult to those that build America.

>stating fact
Sure thing kiddo. Come back with an actual argument.

I still don't get the point why people would hate a guy who fights for their freedom. Can you enlighten me?

He literally created the community you fucking retard.

are you that guy who keeps joining fglt while having fglt in his filter list?

>No man today would do that without harness and in those conditions
How can you be sure of that? Saving those kids in thailand was dangerous as well, but people still did it. If anything, you can be sure nobody would do it nowadays because they simply would not be allowed to.

>considering stallman a man of that stature is a direct insult to those that build America.
I never claimed that and I never mentioned Mr. stallman. That was someone else.

No. Linus did
Linus would have used any other userland that was available at the time, he didnt plan on using gnu at all,originally
If stallman was never born we would be exactly where we are now,just without his autism

stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?

You may find a virtual appliance that meets your needs.

Oh shit you're right user. Guess I should just install proprietary software now and sell my freedom to the highest bidder.

The ONLY reason I used to care was because I was in love with Stallman-sama. But now that's over, I got go back to being a retard. What a load off my mind.

kys faggot

>not an argument
>ad hominem
Shows how intelligent stallmanist are.
I guess stallmans autism is deeply encoded in gnu, everyone of his followers seems to mimick his level of autism.
What does he call that?
GNU/Mindwipe?

He got mad because he thought it should be /flt/ like the old days. Everybody told him to fuck off. He started his own general but the only people who went there did it by mistake. Then he started getting trolled in his own little general.
He's super mad, and just keeps doubling down on silly.
Just leave him be. If Dr. Stallman can still thanklessly fight for his freedom, we can at least be patient with him.

What are some ~7" tablets that can run linux natively with full hardware support including 4g and bluetooth?

Attached: enhanced-3189-1437757123-1.jpg (625x411, 73K)

It's simply impossible to have a good discussion with someone whos mind is filled with useless hate and lies.

Yes

Attached: 1426200042378.jpg (960x640, 161K)

So you agree that stallmanist are never capable of intelligent conversation due to deep seated hatred and lies stallman says?

>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.

>There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>-- Linus Torvalds

>/flt/ has been here over 2 years.
It's right here, July 2015, first documented /flt/

warosu.org/g/thread/S49808959

rbt.asia/g/thread/48653055/#48653055

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/48969412/#48969412

rbt.asia/g/thread/48969412/#48969412

Now that's been settled, you can go back to re dit or Jow Forums or whatever turd you crawled out from

what distro should I install Jow Forums?
I was running gentoo before but had to reformat and haven't installed anything yet.
It was nice but I don't think I'll go back because of how long the installation is and compile times for everything.
I can understand how those would be more advantageous for advanced users, but for my use case it was mostly just an inconvenience.

Is this you?

Attached: 1532809821147.png (1280x551, 276K)

void and you know what? im gonna install it myself too

didn't the lead dev disappear or something? Also, what advantage does this have over something like arch or debian? The package count seems to be relatively low.

Contrary to what most say, there are plenty of games on Linux. In fact, I play more on it that Windows these days even if I'm complaining about frequently dual booting.

He did. Are you implying Void is compromised? Advantage? No systemd. You cannot remove systemd completely from Debian unless you run Devuan or you do a net install and know what you're doing. Low package count, this is true. I never used Void myself but as a shitposting distro seems to fit the bill. It may be usable, I don't know but I will install it and see for myself.

>Are you implying Void is compromised?
No, I was more just concerned about the future of development for the distro. Read about it a bit more and it seems cool but the low package count is really turning me off.
Might just go with arch because I'm familiar with it.

>oct/2017
... its been almost a year...

Attached: 214231423312.png (657x360, 30K)

-stable
-reasonably new packages
-no dependency hell
bonus points for:
-no systemdick
-pre-configured i3 install

Void refuses to boot after updating, not matter how much I tinker with intel-ucode, bios update does not exist and all the other solutions seem unreasonably complicated.
Debian stable doesn't even have firefox stable in repo.

What do I install, memejaro? AUR seems interesting, but I'm kind of worried by all the "mom, cancel my meetings - pacman fucked up xorg config again" arch memes.

user... it's a merge request, if you go to files changed you'll see what he patched. you'll have to recompile i3 manually if you want to use it.

nvm, the titlear... I think that's just compton not behaving so well with i3, the cmd window casts a shadow on the titlebar

Not because they had low standards for safety back then, not like today where walking with a harness is required.

I've been using Manjaro stable for a few weeks now and it's solid. It doesn't have AUR enabled by default. You have to enable it manually.

What do you guys use to easily download every image in a given Jow Forums thread?

I used to use downthemall but now that's basically dead.

GNU wget

I always assume wget downloads the entire webpage but I guess there would be a way to download just the larger linked images.

wget -nc -nd -nv -e robots=off -ER html,s.jpg -rHD i.4cdn.org [THREAD URL]

Is anyone else having problems installing/upgrading packages in debian sid?
Fresh install here, I keep getting "broken" package errors trying to install wine, happens in a VM with testing too.
Are they upgrading the repos or something?

Attached: 1532683935943.jpg (1171x936, 87K)

Try aptitude.

cool
>-ER
>-rHD
what HD and the R after E do?

This didn't work by the way. It downloaded a single html file.

I did, the only dependency resolution options it has is downgrading half my system, which leads me to believe that something is going on with the repos.
I tried on my other machine too, same issue.

Can anyone with a debian testing or sid machine/VM try installing wine pls?

Attached: 2018-07-28-180612_1116x654_scrot.png (1116x654, 45K)

it says you have held packages from updating, does it tell you which ones are held if you do apt update?

then apt-mark unhold foo them

I just watched a news report on TV.
The ADAC (basically the German equivalent of the American AAA) performed a test on a series of modern Mercedes cars, and figured out that the board computers transmit driving information, including your GPS location, to the Mercedes headquarters.

I assume that this is not exclusive to Mercedes, and that several car manufacturers do this, domestically and abroad.

Cars usually use proprietary, non-free software, which makes it harder to tell what the software really does.

With all that in mind. What kind of car does Richard Stallman drive?

You're right. Seems Jow Forums changed something. Will check.

I don't, none of those packages are held. This is just a bullshit error that apt spits out.
I know because this is a completely new install.
And no I don't try and add PPAs and shit to debian

try apt install -f

i have a 90 line shell script
ahaha

Image CDN changed. Try:

wget -e robots=off -ER html,s.jpg -rHD is2.Jow Forums.org

If they change it in the future, just open a picture in your browser and check the domain.

Yup, tried them. I think this is on their end user.
Is there anyway to check or do I have to go on their irc?

Not currently, but I've seen apt and aptitude do absurd resolutions quite many times.

You're going to have to poke around for where the problem is. Pick individual packages like mpv that ought to have a bunch of dependencies and see how those resolve.

[Arguably, I ultimately got annoyed and switched one machine back to Gentoo and the other to Fedora...]

I literally just installed mpv, libreoffice and texlive kek.
It's with wine and qutebrowser that I'm having problems.

stay on testing next time!

Just tried with another machine on testing, literally the same problem

Try packages halfway to wine, maybe you figure out the problem after you reduce the number of packages for the overall wine resolution.

fourchandl

Yeah I tried going down the chain but eventually it hits a package that will just refuse to install because the dependencies aren't there.
Which is why I'm thinking that the problem is server-side

Attached: 1532682031694.png (1022x956, 341K)