A day in the life of a software engineer

youtube.com/watch?v=rqX8PFcOpxA
and this will be why g are always the biggest faggots on Jow Forums

Attached: 54650465406540.png (1260x664, 1.53M)

I like her. What's wrong with it.

>commute to work
>sit in an office
>lunch
>some more sitting in the office
>commute home
what is the point of this video. no coding, no software engineering shown.

>commute to work
>sit in an office
>have breakfast

Its called flexing. Its literally what 70% of YouTube is now. People flexing on each other and the retarded masses watch it and say that will be them one day. But instead of actually doing it they just watch others live their lives like a bunch of retards.

Flexing? That's what it's called? If I search for people flexing in Norway I'll find people commuting to work?

Her code must be terrible. After all, she is a woman.

well, she did write some c++,
so...

She's showing off how hip and cool her workplace is. Yes its flexing.

why would anyone want to work in the bay area

Youre probably a woman, but, anyway...

Men would probably spend more time studying their practice than recording dumb YouTube videos.

>doing make-up at 7.46am
>only arrives at work at 10.24am, almost 3 hours later?
>probably takes 5-10 minutes to get started
>even eats breakfast, what
>eats lunch at 12.41pm - so did like 2 hours of work
>does a bit more - maybe 2-3 hours between drinking iced coffee
>left by 5.42pm - maybe earlier, can't tell

What the fuck? This seems like a insanely inefficient day of "work" to me.

Like 4-5 hours MAX of actual work being done, but the entire day gone.

Attached: cri.jpg (640x360, 32K)

is this behaviour normal?

i build big fireplaces for a living, wondering if a career change is in order.

>roasties in tech
Always a bad idea, male only companies are far superior and always will be

>is this behaviour normal?
Well, time wise, yes. At least in bigger companies. It's browsing websites all day every day. If you get work, its most of the time like: Here, you have 2 weeks, get it done - just that you are done after 1-3 days. You just need to be in a company big enough for this bs.

Feels good working in a normal office with a dress code instead of a hipster fagbarn

She's only there to break up the sausagefest anyway, so how much work she does is irrelevant. At least three of those guys are trying to get in her pants.

Second guy from the right is next level skinnyfat.

What do you spend your time on when programming? For me it's mostly mental, I spend the minority of my time writing software and the majority thinking about what to write. It's really easy to have breakfast after reading your todo list while still considering how to approach the problems for today.

the guy in the middle is hard as a rock

I wanna ____ that engineer

The efficiency of employees isn't 100% the entire work day. Most employers will only get a few good hours of productivity out their employees each day max.

She is such a söygirl.

The söyboys she interacts with don't seem any more productive though.

Probably the only code she is responsible for is the Code of Conduct.

Lads I am very worried about her. I mean she works so hard, there is no work life balance at all.

Attached: working_herself_to_death.png (675x297, 27K)

Why is she making that face?

The reason why basedboys make that face is because they know how repulsive they look in photos so by acting "quirky" and "lelsorandumb", they can disguise their otherwise disgusting appearance behind a facade of eccentricity. Rather than have you laugh at them, they'd rather make a clown of themself first. Now, you're laughing at them in a way that they have controlled and perhaps even rationalise ("oh, he's laughing at what I'm doing, not at me").

A woman however, is still a woman. There'll still be some beta fawning over her somewhere. A slim woman of plain levels of attractiveness in tech is especially a rarity. She doesn't need to be a clown because she's not repulsive so her behaviour makes no sense. Is it possible that so many guys in tech were doing it that it just became a "tech thing" of sorts? Did something born as a coping mechanism literally become a part of "tech culture"?

Dumb poser.

Coming from a food service job into a programming job was a weird transition. I had a hard time getting use to not actually "working" for 6 or 8 hours straight. I felt bad at first because I wasn't used to getting paid hourly while not being a service dog for every second in that hour.

It's hard to adjust to a different kind of work ethic.

Dude, just turn your brain off.

You may not be physically working but you certainly aren't free either. Dip into the relaxation pool too much and you'll have problems, don't dip into the relaxation pool at all and you'll mentally burn out and have the same problem (inability to work).

Because they aren't Asian females?

You can still work much harder than she does. And I don't believe she thinks much while eating and talking to those guys. It's just a common excuse
>oh I am so creative during my breaks
Mostly bullshit. I have worked with such people and they almost never do anything worthwile. Exceptions might exist, but it's usually the quiet nerds who stare at theit monitors all day that get actual work done.

I'm serious. A girl is making the basedboyface. I'm genuinely amazed and disturbed by the fact that a coping mechanism actually spread far enough to become something cultural. Like, I've seen plenty of old men cover up their balding hair with the comb-over but this is different because those old men probably all independently arrived at their solution whereas this is literally a meme that came about through the internet.

how can anyone live like this? you spend all this time doing monkey work on a project that other brilliant people built 95% of and then fucked off. When you're an old piece of shit, you won't be able to point to anything and tell your grandkids "yeah, see that? I built that and it's still standing". No, your shitty startup will build something that's been built a million times before, and pajeets will swoop in and build the equivalent software 10000 more times. All you have to show for your 'hard work' is a meme office with nerf gun battles, skateboards glued onto the walls and standing meetings, interspersed with Starbucks coffee breaks where everybody talks about how great the latest "oh my god I'm totally binge watching that show on Netflix" episode

Attached: RsaFTb3.jpg (500x375, 46K)

fucking chink knows she's in the spotlight among the beta nerds, god I hate these bitches stay the fuck out of my silicon

I'm a manager and i fire people for that.
If i see you procrastinating at work few times you will surely be on my red flag list.
Breakfast should be eaten at home before the start of work day, which starts at 7 or 8 in the morning.
Lunch break is flexible around noon and lasts approx 45 minutes but no more than 1 hour.

Where the fuck do these people work?
Im not even exaggerating, its the industry standard here.
If you work at a code monkey job you are the fucking code monkey.
Also one of the red flags is complaining about the given task like "why do we do this this way why not the my way"
You are not fucking supposed to complain about the given task in any fucking way or form. Once you're given the task and permit to work you are supposed to deliver exactly what was said in given time or get your shit out of the door.

God i fucking hate these milenial companies, literally spoiling the workforce for all other companies.

>If you work at a code monkey job you are the fucking code monkey.
>Software Engineer
These aren't interns.

I'm CEO and seeing managers on Jow Forums will put you immediately on my red flag list. I'm tracing your IP right now. See me at my desk tomorrow morning.

Attached: cringe.jpg (542x474, 27K)

LARPer detected, that's not how software development works
>dude just write it 8 hours a day every day
lmao

pal, most of your complaints are absolutely juvenile and pathetic

The likelihood that you're even from the same company is ludicrously tiny.

delusional child roleplaying

Hahahaha

Yes it's weird.

I have confidence in that 0.00001%. Get ready for a sponge cylinder up your ass.

CCO here, check your work inbox

make sure you look in the spam folder

Software engineer is higher tier than a fucking code monkey that works in a cubicle.
Code monkeys are literally interns with degrees, usually women that eat breakfast at the work desk.
Imagine a fucking intern with no brain complaining and disrupting the workflow of a real developer. Thats why i complain about these braindead idiots complaining to the seniors.

You've got this whole thing backwards, it's a common facial expression that is focused on by the internet. I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Yeah, he's definitely a LARPer.
Likely never had a job in his life.

Even Pajeets, who are known for such behavior, don't really work like that.

Name my band guys

Attached: ching_chong_and_the_beta_boys.jpg (960x540, 86K)

She's an engineer bub.

Basedlette spaceship.

imagine a manager that can't handle his job
I don't think you have to use your imagination though

Onions and the basedlets

>mfw thinking about you hurting

>when the filter kicks in

Attached: 1528325540017.jpg (1920x1080, 833K)

>All you have to show for your 'hard work' is a meme office with nerf gun battles, skateboards glued onto the walls and standing meetings, interspersed with Starbucks coffee breaks where everybody talks about how great the latest "oh my god I'm totally binge watching that show on Netflix" episode

Attached: zion.jpg (1024x768, 185K)

Söylatte Frappuccino's

Remote jobs are the best and this is why she should hide her ugly face and shitty job.

A gorillion people a day get paid to stand behind a counter on their phone for the majority of their shift.

>uppity beta nerd detected

Go back to watching Netflex and play War Hammer you fucking faggot.

I saw that video a long time ago. From her routine it's glaringly obvious she's a low-level pleb, a codemonkey.

But then again, she's a woman, so good for her.

best one yet

>yet
I'm insulted.

OK, it's the official band name from now on.

>Breakfast should be eaten at home before the start of work day, which starts at 7 or 8 in the morning.
Yeah, no. Even at IBM and certain banks they're allowed to show up at 9 o'clock.

>Lunch break is flexible around noon and lasts approx 45 minutes but no more than 1 hour.
Literally what

I don't know what prison camp manager you're LARPing as, but that's not how software companies work. It's the industry standard that the last people at the office leave around 6-7pm, which means they came to work an hour or so before noon.

I work 9-5 with a paid lunch :^)

lol nobody at the industry works at 7, not even at banks.
Office workers all come at 9 and managers at 10.

That's not even bad.

I make software for government agencies and so get into contact with a lot of civil servants.
The vast majority spend most of their time in meetings, I would say 30 hours per week gets wasted on pointless meeting after pointless meeting.
For the little actual work that gets done the general trend is that they have no clue what they are doing.
I'm talking people who are responsible for managing millions of tax payers money who have no idea what the various figures mean (everybody has their own definitions) and they just hack together Excel sheets full of errors and inconsistencies.

>that's not how software companies work
The best thing I've ever heard from a manager at a successful company, was
>the key is just to keep the engineering team happy and free from stress. If you can do that and they are interested in the project, they'll manage themselves
I think there's truth to that. Time and time again I hear engineers complain that products and companies are killed by strict management that haven't actually written software before and expect things to be like an assembly job. Other technical fields don't get that kind of pressure, look at chemical engineers, architects, etc. A majority of their time is spent thinking, documenting/implementing/experimenting that idea, and then decompressing because that shit is difficult to sustain.

Not burning out your talent is key.

OwO what's this?

Attached: big beta COCK.jpg (137x257, 13K)

>shit like this is why it takes 6 months to process a 2 page document that should be an automated process anyway
wew lad

yeah man...there are really no 24/7 businesses or businesses that operate outside 9-5. how ignorant can you be.

Right. And that's true with high-performing teams and individuals. The (implicitly) self-proclaimed 9-to-5 inmates serving a life sentence do need managers though.

During my relatively short career in SE, I could go out on a 2-hour lunch and come to work in the afternoon, and (almost) nobody cares. All they care about is getting the shit done by the deadline.

That's why I said "in the industry". Learn to read.

>Lunch break is flexible around noon and lasts approx 45 minutes but no more than 1 hour.
Nigga what the fuck?

So she actually comes at work by 10:30 and leave at 5? Not bad.

>works from 11-5
>spends half of her work hours not working
Also holy shit I'd genuinely rather work a regular 9-5 is it means I get a cubicle rather than sitting in some basedboi open concept shit

>Trusting cubicle farm managers
Enjoy your cubicle rotation.

I strongly disagree. I've worked both in open offices and cubicles.

Cubicles kill your soul, that's why Intel still uses them.

the industry consists of more than flavor the week mobile companies peddling novelty shit. Any company worth a shit providing mission critical software has 24/7 support.

In my country if you work at helpdesk you even have a supervisor walking behind you like a gestapo officer all day and get fired because of low performance of last month without even reviewing anything past that.

Eastern europe, fuckers.
No space for milenials here.

I work in a semi open office. If anyone puts on headphones it means leave them the fuck alone.

Yeah and that's ran by call centers, NOCs and sysadmins. Software engineers just get the requirements after help desk techs escalate the ticket.

>software engineering
>helpdesk
Two different worlds, and 3x salary difference.

Cubicles are illegal in my country.
They cause too many suicides.

I prefer cubicles to having people staring over my shoulder all day and having it be a literal requirement that you wear headphones all day if you have any hope of getting your work done.

I hope your joking, because that's not how developers work. Otherwise you'll face great disenchantment.

Nice LARPing.

Who was this?

Attached: retard.png (306x182, 12K)

ThoObe

Don't be a sperg, nobody is interested in what you have on your screen.

Noise is a thing which is why they really should compartment the space into areas with 12 people max, preferably around 6.
Also sound proof booths for calling and of course plenty meeting rooms.

I think with cubicles you'll end up wearing headphones too since they aren't 100% sound proof, if only to block out the sound of the guy next to you hanging himself.

are you gay

Yes, why?

That's a shit commute

Looked like Objective-C, note the NSString.

And to be fair, you can only get about 6 lines of code done per day when working with iOS, the rest of the day is generally spent battling with constraints in the xcode interface builder.

Why do millennials always take pictures with their mouths open?

why do they take pictures with their mouths open?

Express or feign emotion.

Anyone watched the videos of the guy on the right? (Jarvis)

Nope does she get BLACKED?

No I just watched a video of him was ok, wondered if it's worth watching his channel.

Also are there any other channels talking about programming, that are ok? Mayuko's channel is shit and makes me angry.